Great review at IGN!

+
Great review at IGN!

One of the biggest online entertainment portals IGN, have just published the review of The Witcher. Game received 8,5 note, and a prestige award "IGN Editor’s Choice Award" reserved for only the best products.
The IGN Editors' Choice Award
"The IGN Editors' Choice Award is a sign of excellence reserved for only the best products. The award signifies excellence in entertainment value, performance, design, originality, and lasting appeal. A product bearing this award has our unequivocal recommendation and is sure to become a classic in its field."Below, short fragment of the review."The Witcher really is a good game and one that PC RPG fans will surely enjoy. It combines some entertaining and fast-paced combat with a well realized world and pretty decent story that branches and can end in three different fashions. With a load of choice in character creation on a point assignment and morality level, there’s plenty of reason to want to come back and play the 40-50 hour game again."The game received also a great feedback from IGN users, that rated The Witcher with 9,4!

Gratz CDPROJEKT ;DI would agree with most off that, although I like the poker mini game.I suppose thats one thing about having long load times, sort of gives you an incentive to not just save/load when you lose money in poker lolI also wondered what was going on when I suddenly appeared at that inn with the green dogs at the start of chapter 1.40-50 hours is abit on the low side, I would double that.

8.5 is a joke, not a great note. They gave so silly reasons to lower the score, that I'm beginning to think IGN reviewers don't know what cRPGs are all about. Read the responses from players to see that many think similar as I am right now...

Crolug said:
8.5 is a joke, not a great note. They gave so silly reasons to lower the score, that I'm beginning to think IGN reviewers don't know what cRPGs are all about. Read the responses from players to see that many think similar as I am right now...
Horrendous loading times, instability, occasionally erratic presentation and continuity... seems perfectly valid reasons to knock a few percent off of an otherwise great game.Some of the 70% reviews seem a little over-critical, but I could certainly never bring myself to award more than 85% if I had to review it myself. As good as it is, there's other rpgs out there with much more consistent and refined presentation.They were of course reviewing the English language version too, which has its own issues of variable quality of translation, in turn leading to occasionally stilted dialogue and some awkward voiceover delivery...Its good, but the writing isn't quite up to Chris Avellone Planescape Torment standards.Their point about the start of Act One after leaving Kaer Morhen was dead on the money too...I was actually marvelling at how well crafted and convincingly acted that final Kaer Morhen cutscene was, and directly afterwards I get slapped in the face with one of the most incongruous and badly edited cutscenes in the game... of course it recovers, and IGN point out that most of the game isn't like that, but inconsistencies like that can ruin the atmosphere of a game at times.

As good as it is, there's other rpgs out there with much more consistent and refined presentation.
i wouldnt mark a game down significantly for that. RPGS are about Soul not presentation ;)Which games are you referring to though?
Its good, but the writing isn't quite up to Chris Avellone Planescape Torment standards
Yeah but what is? Its been 8 years dude lolHow does something like Oblivion get ridiculously high scores then? I personally think the story is brilliant apart from the, like you said, the occasionally stitled scenes. But i can forgive them this. Because the gameplay is so good. I'd give it between 88% - 92%

Great game first of all I'm just starting act 3 and I'm already thinking about replaying it when I'll get a new rig with more RAM for the loadtimes. It very rarely happens that I replay a game. The story with all its choices is great a true breath of fresh air.The IGN review IMO was correct it is an 85% game when looked at by the normal gamer but for RPG fans and people who love great stories told through games it's a 95%, I also love the fighting system BTW.But the scene in the outskirts with the barghests and the boy stroke me as very odd too... It could have all been done through a cutscene featuring some drawings saying that Geralt reached the outskirts of Vizima and hears whispers of troubles (the Beast) he is just settling in and night is falling when.... (cutscene with the boy and dogs begins). Stability and better performance will be fixed by later patches and the progress of technology but the game's value will remain I really hope an expansion if not a sequel is in the works, the world you managed to create although inspired has some moments in which it rivals the great Planescape: Torment (it may have been 8 years but it's still my standard for storytelling in a computer game)At the very least I hope Bioware can learn some things on how to do the combat in Dragon Age. Hope to play more of your great games in the future.

i think IGN's review is very accurate.Witcher is an awesome game ruined by its rushed release -----> many bugs and LOOOOOOOOONG tiresome loading timesmany friends of mine are uninistalling the game because of that, some of em get like 40 seconds of loading that sucks hard and theyve got good rigs

Actually everyone i know who played this game LOVED it, me included, so a score of 8.5 is crap, the lowest score this game deserves is a 9.

demnim said:
Actually everyone i know who played this game LOVED it, me included, so a score of 8.5 is crap, the lowest score this game deserves is a 9.
I created an account just to say that I totally agree with you. An 8.5 is too low for the Witcher.Somehow this game sucks you in, gives you the feeling you are actually the witcher Geralt. This feeling starts at the very first cutscene. The creators manage to let the player keep this feeling in EVERY choice you make and every quest you do. And that is, in my opinion, a marvelous accomplishment!

The problem comes with what 8.5 means. On a rational scale that'd make sense considering the issues the reviewer experienced. However on a scale that sees: Oblivion get 9.3 i'd say it was well off. Stil a damned respectable score considering the relative lack of hype.To me an 8.5 would be a correct score for the Witcher and take into account the small flaws and annoyances that keep it from perfection coming of course with the caveat that many of those were fixable and noting CDProjekt's already demonstrated willingness to patch the game. Of course with these fixed it'd be closer to a 9. Still with an 8.5 (on my scale) it'd be the highest rated game of the year so far with only Portal coming close. Of course on my scale an average game would actually score 5 rather than the 7 most review places seem to think is right.

Top Bottom