Great sales results of The Witcher in Russia!

+
Great sales results of The Witcher in Russia!

We are happy to inform you, that The Witcher (Ведьмак) is currently boosting its sales results in Russia, surpassing even such renowned titles as Half-Life 2: Episode Two or Bioshock. Moreover, The Witcher has made a run to the top of PC bestsellers lists of three major retail chains in Russia!НАСТ

Sounds good...how important is the game market in russia?Is it as big as in UK or Germany?No offense, i don't know more about russia except Moscow is the capital and the people drinks vodka? ;)

Tyson48 said:
No offense, i don't know more about russia except Moscow is the capital and the people drinks vodka? ;)
Great, now your knowledge of Russia has extended drastically. From now on you know three things: 1) Moscow is the capital, 2) people drink vodka, 3) those who don't drink vodka, primarily play Witcher.

payalnik said:
payalnik said:
No offense, i don't know more about russia except Moscow is the capital and the people drinks vodka? ;)
Great, now your knowledge of Russia has extended drastically. From now on you know three things: 1) Moscow is the capital, 2) people drink vodka, 3) those who don't drink vodka, primarily play Witcher.
..and then to drink Vodka too :D

yeah...... in slovakia, witcher was mainly three weeks first in selling, but now is third, but still in first ten most selling games.... great....

payalnik said:
payalnik said:
That was cool, but I still don't know if the market of games in Russia is as big as in UK, Germany etc... ;)I really want to know if this news is good for CDP's business or if it's only good for vanity?

Tyson48 said:
That was cool, but I still don't know if the market of games in Russia is as big as in UK, Germany etc... ;)I really want to know if this news is good for CDP's business or if it's only good for vanity?
As a matter of fact, it's a very good sign for business. Eastern Europe, including Russia and Poland is one of the biggest reasons PC games are still around. Europe PC games sales have remained rather steady, in contrast to America where they aren't as big anymore.

Tyson48 said:
I really want to know if this news is good for CDP's business or if it's only good for vanity?
I think it's really good for business. Compare for example a territory of the UK and Russia and you'll get how big the Russian market is or can be. More and more people are beginning to buy official releases (not pirate ones) and the game industry is growing larger with every year. Nobody will tell you exact numbers (it's always a trade secret as they say) but the Russian publisher ND said in news that the first print of The Witcher intended for selling in 3 months' time for the whole Russia was sold out in the first 4 days since the Wither release date and they had to do an additional printing. I think this shows that the Witcher sales in Russia are überbig. :)And you should learn a little more about Russia apart from your very useful knowledge about Russian vodka. ;)

Shadowlord said:
Shadowlord said:
I really want to know if this news is good for CDP's business or if it's only good for vanity?
I think it's really good for business. Compare for example a territory of the UK and Russia and you'll get how big the Russian market is or can be. More and more people are beginning to buy official releases (not pirate ones) and the game industry is growing larger with every year. Nobody will tell you exact numbers (it's always a trade secret as they say) but the Russian publisher ND said in news that the first print of The Witcher intended for selling in 3 months' time for the whole Russia was sold out in the first 4 days since the Wither release date and they had to do an additional printing. I think this shows that the Witcher sales in Russia are überbig. :)And you should learn a little more about Russia apart from your very useful knowledge about Russian vodka. ;)
Comletely agree :)

The incredible Witcher sales here are in no small part thanks to the great (and I mean great - nothing short of amazing) work done by the translators over at NewDisc. The voices are all great, they all fit. There was not a single mistake I've noticed in the dialogue.So yeah, the market's pretty big and growing every day. It also helps that the price of legit games stays really close to the pirated releases, which is why they're being pushed out...there are little to no pirated Witcher copies to be found.

Yeah, the translation to Russian done by ND turned out to be great. Normally I hate localizations, but this one is an exception. It also helps that the books the game is based on have been translated to Russian long ago and are quite popular over there. As for how big the market is there I do not know as I live in the neighboring Latvia, but I imagine it has to be big simply due to the size of the country. Also, PC games market is probably a thriving one over there because consoles are not overly popular in Russia.

kuddles said:
kuddles said:
As a matter of fact, it's a very good sign for business. Eastern Europe, including Russia and Poland is one of the biggest reasons PC games are still around. Europe PC games sales have remained rather steady, in contrast to America where they aren't as big anymore.
Nonsense! As you will see from this 2007 research the PC market is rather healthy. "US retailers sold USD 203 million worth of PC games in the first two months of 2007 - a 48 per cent year-on-year increase, according to an analyst for the NPD Group.Speaking to the New York Times, NPD's Anita Frazier noted that sales in the same period last year reached only USD 136.8 million. These figures do not include online sales or subscription revenue, often cited as the major growth areas in the PC gaming market."http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=24383That will give you just about 1 Billion/year market. PC forever baby!!!!

Russia is not as big market as UK or Germany, France etc but it;s the biggest country in the world, so there are quiet a lot of people who could buy this game... and moscow... one of the richest capital of the world, I ve been in Moscow, you can see money everywhere, so if people are buying this game, they're buying it a lot. We are waiting for official sale results on the world!!!

Some RED wrote somewhere on this forum that they sold already 200000 copies in Russia. So I think Russia is pretty big market for "the witcher"...

STALKER made much of its money in russia alone, i would say it's a big market for PC games. consoles are not that common atm.

Russia is a very very big country. so there are a lot of gamers playing role-playing games such as The Witcher. By the way Russian version has a very good translation. its pretty niceAbout vodka. its stereotype. not every one drinks vodka in Russia. But I think its good=)) And there are no bears on the Moscow streets/

No wonder piracy is going down there. Where I'm from it's 42€, in english and they don't even translate the manual.

Top Bottom