Greedfall: A weird Victorian/fantasy hybrid open-world RPG from Spiders

+

Spiders and Focus Home Interactive are working on a new RPG, which was first revealed at E3 2019. I thought it looked interesting then, I think it looks even more interesting now. It is releasing on September 10, 2019, which is nice, because even if it's not the greatest game in the world, maybe it'll tide me over till other RPGs come out. It's $50, so it's not a full AAA title.

For those who don't know, Spiders is known for creating "eurojank"-style RPGs, similar to games like Risen, Gothic, etc.. Their games are rarely critical darlings, but they often pick up a strong, loyal fanbase who enjoys their work. Compared to their previous games, Greedfall does appear to be a large leap forward both visually (Animations/graphics) and in terms of gameplay, by giving players more ways to play, and more customization.

You can fight or talk your way through encounters, and one of the game's main features is a unique faction system.

There's also a tactical pause system, and it seems like weapons won't be levelled, but will have skill requirements (Firearms, Accuracy 2, etc.). There also seems to be a companion system as the inventory menu has a "change character" button.

To quote the official website:

GreedFall is the latest RPG from Spiders, currently in development for PlayStation 4, Xbox One and PC. Set in a 17th century setting embedded in magic, Greedfall has a unique visual identity inspired by European Baroque art, depicting grandiose sceneries in muted warm colors and dark undertones.

Explore a fresh new world as – along with many other settlers, mercenaries and treasure hunters - you set foot on a remote island seeping with magic, rumored to be filled with riches and lost secrets. A grand journey filled with mystery follows, as you find yourself in the middle of ever-increasing tensions between the invading settlers and the locals, who are protected by manifestations of the island’s earthly magic in the form of supernatural beings.

With a strong focus on its core RPG identity, GreedFall follows Spider's experience in building intricate worlds filled with mysteries to discover, weaving deep character interactions, and offering players freedom to achieve quests and objectives in many different ways – through combat, as well as diplomacy, deception or stealth. The island of GreedFall is a living, ever-evolving world. Your actions, from seemingly trivial choices to the most important political decisions, will influence and alter its course, as well as the relationship between the different factions established on the island.

Pre-orders are available now on Steam, assuming you like to pre-order games. If you do not, here's some other videos to pique (or demolish) your interest:

And some meaningless, but attractive art:

Last edited:
One of those games which have my curiosity but I already know I won't buy at full price. I'm curious to read reviews in september but I'll wait for black friday, same as the outer worlds, metro exodus and control (just 2 weeks after death standing, I think I'll spend a full salary in games in november :ROFLMAO:).

Gameplay doesn't look particularly interesting (at all), but world building and narrative have the potential to create a fresh experience for the right price. Let's see, but I don't have huge expectations (which can be good).
P.S. we're all thinking to this guy, right?

One of those games which have my curiosity but I already know I won't buy at full price. I'm curious to read reviews in september but I'll wait for black friday, same as the outer worlds, metro exodus and control (just 2 weeks after death standing, I think I'll spend a full salary in games in november :ROFLMAO:).

Gameplay doesn't look particularly interesting (at all), but world building and narrative have the potential to create a fresh experience for the right price. Let's see, but I don't have huge expectations (which can be good).
P.S. we're all thinking to this guy, right?

I don't have an issue buying it for full price depending on what the reviews say, but I don't mean the general trend of reviews. I mean the specific stuff people are complaining about or praising.

I've found that, time and time again, my interests rarely line up with the gaming public's. People hated both Elex and Kingdom Come Deliverance on launch, for all of the reasons I loved it, so... We'll see. If it seems "just mediocre," I will probably give it a pass till the price drops. But man... I'm going to be really desperate for games to play this year. Not much of interest coming out. Death Stranding looks cool, but I hate gaming on PS4.

I can foresee the character getting nauseated from all the rolling he’ll no doubt be doing during the game.

Don't worry. You can customize your character quite a bit, it seems, so you can undoubtedly add a Pepto Bismol bandolier so that you can quickly chug a few bottles on the go.

I played their last Action-RPG Technomancer a while ago. It's kinda using the old BioWare formula. Story and characters were not as memorable but enough to keep me playing. Balancing isn't the strong suit of this studio though. Overall, it was still a decent experience which is why I'm kinda looking forward to Greedfall - without expecting too much. Keep in mind, it's not a big studio and the budget obviously shouldn't be compared with a AAA game...

I don't have an issue buying it for full price depending on what the reviews say, but I don't mean the general trend of reviews. I mean the specific stuff people are complaining about or praising.
nah, I just meant that I need to read/see more about the game. reviews' scores are absolutely useless nowadays. It wasn't clear, I know.

Weird to hear that KCD was hated there, here it was praised by every website (avarage score higher than 90/100). The problems came with the public, mainly because of polishing, and I must confess that on ps4 (at least) the game is still a mess, full of bugs and crashes. I'm still waiting for warhorse to fix it before buying it. :shrug:

I've been following this for some time. Spiders is improving in their work and hopefully they get some revenue from the game. This is a massive improvement from the last game and also from the E3 trailer shown from last year. So, they been working pretty hard at this game unlike some AAA games today.

Ive liked two of their games Bound by Flames and Technomancer. Might try this. I sorta like they dont keep doing sequels, they keep making new games instead. Interesting to see if it works out for them. 10 year down the line they can make some crazy bundle deals etc.

Yeah, they were found in 2008, next 10 year are gonna make or break them, imho. Or go figure.

Last edited:
Don't worry. You can customize your character quite a bit, it seems, so you can undoubtedly add a Pepto Bismol bandolier so that you can quickly chug a few bottles on the go.

Yeah, it's not very likely I'll be owning this game. Spiders has a lot of good energy to them, but ultimately they are just generic as far as their games go.

It looks mildly interesting, but Spiders have this unshakable discount Bioware vibe about them. Less of a problem with Bioware's current state, I suppose, but I think I'll wait until plenty of reviews are available and there's been time for a good discount to set in.

Yeah, it's not very likely I'll be owning this game. Spiders has a lot of good energy to them, but ultimately they are just generic as far as their games go.
Out of curiosity, any upcoming games that do catch your eye?

Out of curiosity, any upcoming games that do catch your eye?

Very very few. As might be obvious. :D

Wasteland 3 and a couple of indies are on top of the list right now. But Cyberpunk, and to a bit lesser extent The Outer Worlds, are probably the only mainstream ones I have any cautious interest in currently.

Very very few. As might be obvious. :D

Wasteland 3 and a couple of indies are on top of the list right now. But Cyberpunk, and to a bit lesser extent The Outer Worlds, are probably the only mainstream ones I have any cautious interest in currently.
I'm intrigued by a couple of Fallout-inspired ones e.g. Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones and Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Roleplaying Game. First one's supposed to come out Q3 this year; second one a year from now.

My problem with mainstream ones, which for my purposes Greedfall qualifies as, is that they are a bit outside my budget. AAA and AA games are not inherently better than indies but cost more anyway. I'll probably end up buying Cyberpunk at full price, maybe Baldur's Gate 3 depending on what comes out about it, but that means I can't really afford Greedfall, Bloodlines 2, or The Outer Worlds at anything less than 50% off.

And the time! It took me half a year to finish TW trilogy and a whole month of non-stop playing for D:OS2. Alas, my teenage days have been over for a while now, and I cannot afford the investment as much as I used to.

Colony Ship: A Post-Earth Roleplaying Game

That's on my list, yeah.
Stygian I didn't find to be all that interesting, but I have an eye on it when it comes out.

My problem with mainstream ones, which for my purposes Greedfall qualifies as, is that they are a bit outside my budget. AAA and AA games are not inherently better than indies but cost more anyway.

My problem with them is that they rarely produce anything interesting or innovative anymore. They're all kinda chugged out of the same machine of mass production, save for some storytelling intricacies which are not really at the top of what I'm looking for from a game anyway.

And yeah, AAA games are waaaaay overpriced. I think it's a symptom of overproducing at least to a degree. Making a game shouldn't have to cost 30+ million dollars and then require ten million sales to break even and turn profit. There's so much extra and unnecessary blingbling there with focus often on all the wrong things due to the requirement of the biggest possible audiences (i.e. everyone and their cats).

Guest 4211861

I really like the visual style a lot, but will perhaps get the game some time after release, so they can fix the bugs.

I've been following it since last year at least.

I'm interested in how he will solve the massive problem of "we need the cure, but it involves killing all these people".

Ugh...spiders' games are awful. Technomancer, and bound by flame where just horrendous. If you guys are thinking about buying this new one from them, I recommend waiting for in depth reviews. I don't know who keeps giving this company money to continue to make games, but whoever it is needs to stop. They have great new ideas, but their game mechanics in all their games suck.

Last edited:
It`s funny i clicked watch later on YT yesterday for LastKnownMeal`s view of this game , i NEED something to play while i wait for CP .
Post automatically merged:

Snowflakez i want to give you a thumbs down for bagging the PS :ROFLMAO:

I really liked bound by flame but couldn't really get into the other two games. I'll give it a chance though it looks like it could be interesting.

Top Bottom