Greedfall: A weird Victorian/fantasy hybrid open-world RPG from Spiders

+
Ugh...spiders' games are awful. Technomancer, and bound by flame where just horrendous. If you guys are thinking about buying this new one from them, I recommend waiting for in depth reviews. I don't know who keeps giving this company money to continue to make games, but whoever it is needs to stop. They have great new ideas, but their game mechanics in all their games suck.
Fans of eurojank, presumably (Which is what this game is, even if it isn't literally a european game -- not sure where Spiders is based).

Honestly, you could make the same argument about the Risen series, or Elex, or the Gothic games. Very, very janky, poorly designed mechanics all over the place, but for some damned reason I can't get enough of them.

For that reason, I'll gladly give Greedfall a try. Not sure if I'll wait for reviews or not. Eurojank isn't a turn-off for me, though I very well understand why it is for others. My main concern with PC games (or ports of PC games) these days is performance. Anything else I can determine whether or not I'll like within the 2 hour mark (usually), but performance... I can spend hours just trying different fixes, and I have in the past, so now I just skip a game if it has serious optimization issues on launch (and re-buy later when they are fixed).

Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 1 was great RPG, i had fun with all Dragon Ages even with Inquisition, same with Mass Effect, problem is they change it to much to get more people, same thing that is now happening with Cyberpunk 2077, game don't need big open world if he going to be 80% empty and devoide of life, games like Divinity Original Sin, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Pillaras, Tyranny..... are good RPG that are still really cool to play, i would like more new Pillars game then The Outer Worlds.

Gothic, Risen, Elex those games are great with world full of fun stuff who feel alive.

Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect 1 was great RPG, i had fun with all Dragon Ages even with Inquisition, same with Mass Effect, problem is they change it to much to get more people, same thing that is now happening with Cyberpunk 2077, game don't need big open world if he going to be 80% empty and devoide of life, games like Divinity Original Sin, Pathfinder Kingmaker, Pillaras, Tyranny..... are good RPG that are still really cool to play, i would like more new Pillars game then The Outer Worlds.

Gothic, Risen, Elex those games are great with world full of fun stuff who feel alive.
100% agree with all of that, but one correction: The Outer Worlds is actually much closer to Dragon Age Origins than, say, Skyrim. It's not open world at all. It's got a lot of playstyle variety, but you'll basically be going from hub to hub like you would in KOTOR or other games like that.

Yeah i know that, i meant not one more fallout but more comical and set in space, if they did it more Serious like Mass Effect for example i would like The Outer Worlds much more.

Have to say absolutely loved Kingdom Come: Deliverance on XBOX, hated Dragons Age after 20 minutes. Who knows where this will fall but need something like KCD very soon :)

geocp

Forum regular
It looks interesting.
That white-green-blue-purple colored gear though...It's in every freakin game now! :facepalm:

The technomancer gameplay trailer looked good also but most of the people that played the game (I did not) said it was really bad.

Combat looks awful, and the game.... boring.

There’s another seemingly interesting idea sacrificed at the altar of genericity and cheap&safe solutions.

Hey,
I am getting Gothic, Risen and AC vibes.

To me, it looks pretty cool, though the combat bars are in the way and if feels kinda hack&slash and random in many ways.
Like... there are camps, locals, magic, creatures, ships, a guy sent there with faith, shotguns, talents, time freeze, tons of colourful armours, golden sun,... :)
Seems like a random D&D session converted to a video game :)
Still looks pretty decent, the graphics may lift up the atmosphere and provoke feels ala Gothic.

Has the story been revealed?

Hey,
I am getting Gothic, Risen and AC vibes.

To me, it looks pretty cool, though the combat bars are in the way and if feels kinda hack&slash and random in many ways.
Like... there are camps, locals, magic, creatures, ships, a guy sent there with faith, shotguns, talents, time freeze, tons of colourful armours, golden sun,... :)
Seems like a random D&D session converted to a video game :)
Still looks pretty decent, the graphics may lift up the atmosphere and provoke feels ala Gothic.

Has the story been revealed?

The story is : You are sent to an other land in search off a cure for a disease ( look on the face of your character ) . You can side with factions or fight them with companions .

Fans of eurojank, presumably (Which is what this game is, even if it isn't literally a european game -- not sure where Spiders is based).

Honestly, you could make the same argument about the Risen series, or Elex, or the Gothic games. Very, very janky, poorly designed mechanics all over the place, but for some damned reason I can't get enough of them.

For that reason, I'll gladly give Greedfall a try. Not sure if I'll wait for reviews or not. Eurojank isn't a turn-off for me, though I very well understand why it is for others. My main concern with PC games (or ports of PC games) these days is performance. Anything else I can determine whether or not I'll like within the 2 hour mark (usually), but performance... I can spend hours just trying different fixes, and I have in the past, so now I just skip a game if it has serious optimization issues on launch (and re-buy later when they are fixed).
I believe they're French, so the term fits. This is a strange forum to dump on eurojank, considering TW1 and arguably even TW2. If CDPR could get out of that hole with TW3, and Larian with D:OS1, then there's no fundamental law of the gaming universe that should prevent Spiders from doing likewise. The gameplay trailer has gone a long way to making me interested. If we're lucky, Spiders will manage to make the worthy successor to DA:O Bioware has failed to produce this past decade. We'll know in a month.

I believe they're French, so the term fits. This is a strange forum to dump on eurojank, considering TW1 and arguably even TW2. If CDPR could get out of that hole with TW3, and Larian with D:OS1, then there's no fundamental law of the gaming universe that should prevent Spiders from doing likewise. The gameplay trailer has gone a long way to making me interested. If we're lucky, Spiders will manage to make the worthy successor to DA:O Bioware has failed to produce this past decade. We'll know in a month.
I wasn't dumping on it, the opposite actually. I love those sort of games and am super glad they still exist. I've never had a bad time with any "Eurojank" game out there.

The reason I use that term is because it describes a very specific type of game, that fills a certain niche and isn't ashamed to fill that niche.

Unfortunately, whether we wish to ignore it or not, these games also have a LOT of problems, problems that fans of the genre (myself included) ignore in favor of the good parts. But that doesn't mean the bad parts cease existing.

EDIT: By the way, consider giving the Drakensang games a shot. River of Time, specifically.

Last edited:
Top Bottom