Green rectangles instead of health bar or mini map

+
Hello all
A friend of mine has the issue, that components of the HUD are replaced by green rectangles, seemingly at random, but everytime he plays. Sometimes when he opens the map, only a black screen appears and sometimes even when he walks around. he can still hear everything, so it's running but no image at all is displayed. He has windows 10, a gaming pc that is not older than 3 years with GTX970. Any idea what the reason could be? Any help is appreciated

edit: It was downloaded from steam, uninstalled, re-downloaded and reinstalled. It didn't make a difference.

Green rectangles in the UI and HUD is due to the game failing to find/load the corresponding embedded texture files, typically this is a result of modding flash files, and I have never heard of this issue happen with the vanilla game.

Either your friend has a mod installed that is messing up the UI, or the game is unable to load some of the files properly for whatever reason, so I'd uninstall any mods and verify the game contents, just to be sure that you re-download the UI contents go into your w3 dir and content0/bundles and delete r4gui.bundle before verifying, which will ensure you download a clean copy.

Hello you two,
thanks for your answers. Unfortunately, the modding can't be the reason, he never installed them. A few years ago he stopped playing bc. of this issue, there he said he had no mods. In the meantime he completely reset his PC due to RAM issues that have been resolved now, and so in total he now uninstalled, redownloaded, reinstalled the game without ever touching any mods or files in the directories. I'm also certain about this, since I was present during installation.

Your suggestion to delete r4gui.bundle sounds interesting... Where exactly do I find this? Does the "repair download" happen by itself when this file is deleted?

Hello you two,
thanks for your answers. Unfortunately, the modding can't be the reason, he never installed them. A few years ago he stopped playing bc. of this issue, there he said he had no mods. In the meantime he completely reset his PC due to RAM issues that have been resolved now, and so in total he now uninstalled, redownloaded, reinstalled the game without ever touching any mods or files in the directories. I'm also certain about this, since I was present during installation.

Your suggestion to delete r4gui.bundle sounds interesting... Where exactly do I find this? Does the "repair download" happen by itself when this file is deleted?

Go into the w3 install dir, content/content0/bundles and you'll find it.

Delete that, then open steam or gog, then verify game contents. That will redownload the file.

So, we tried to delete and restore the file you mentioned and when checking the contents, it said that two and not one file have been found missing and were then downloaded. Checking the game content again without starting the game proved that everything was in order. After some time playing the game, again the green rectangles returned. also, the game froze several times when opening the menu with the ps4 controller start button. music continued but no input was registered. After exiting the game and checking again game contents, two files were found to be defective, despite us not having touched anything, we only played the game... Until now, no mods were installed.
Then we installed the HD remake mod to see if this helps, at first again everything seemed fine, then same problems as before. Ill upload a screenshot later. should I give the missing bundles files from my pc to his? could this maybe help?

I forgot to mention another issue that might be related: all dangly bits like clothes, flags etc twitch and jiggle like crazy pretty much all the time.

So, we tried to delete and restore the file you mentioned and when checking the contents, it said that two and not one file have been found missing and were then downloaded. Checking the game content again without starting the game proved that everything was in order. After some time playing the game, again the green rectangles returned. also, the game froze several times when opening the menu with the ps4 controller start button. music continued but no input was registered. After exiting the game and checking again game contents, two files were found to be defective, despite us not having touched anything, we only played the game... Until now, no mods were installed.
Then we installed the HD remake mod to see if this helps, at first again everything seemed fine, then same problems as before. Ill upload a screenshot later. should I give the missing bundles files from my pc to his? could this maybe help?

I forgot to mention another issue that might be related: all dangly bits like clothes, flags etc twitch and jiggle like crazy pretty much all the time.

If you have a spare hard drive or ssd try installing on that.

It certainly sounds as if either the game is corrupted or your PC is not configured the way it needs to be. What are the rest of your PC specs?

In-game, activate Vsync. See if that stops the jittering from happening. Sounds like the usual PhysX weirdness that happens when FPS are too high / not synced.

The green boxes are missing elements, as expressed above, so either the data is damaged or your PC is having trouble accessing it (driver incompatibility, a security is interfering, etc.) Might be time for a general tune-up:

1.) Ensure the game is not installed anywhere under either Program Files or Program Files(x86). Protected directories can create all sorts of issues with games. Install the game to the root of your drive or a directory of your own creation. So: C:\The Witcher 3\... or C:\MyRPGgames\The Witcher 3\...

2.) Add the game to the exceptions list of any anti-virus / firewall / etc. you may be using. In Windows 10, set the Permissions for ...Documents\The Witcher 3\... to "Everyone".

3.) Ensure all of the following Microsoft Redistributables are installed / repaired:
DirectX 11/12
DirectX 9.0c
Visual Studio (from 2010 to present, both the x86 and x64 versions of each)
Visual C++ (from 2010 to present, both the x86 and x64 versions of each)
.NET Framework
XNA Framework

For the Visual packages, just be sure that you install each version in order. So, install Visual Studio 2010 x86, then Visual Studio 2010 x64, then Visual C++ 2010 x86, then Visual C++ 2010 x64, then Visual Studio 2012 x86, etc. If any package is not needed, the installation will notify you, and you can just move on to the next one.

4.) Use Display Driver Uninstaller to completely remove all Nvidia stuff. Download the latest Nvidia Reference Drivers and install using the CLEAN installation option. Ensure that there are no Nvidia Control Panel overrides running for the game.

Let us know how that goes!

Top Bottom