Gripes for CDPR (#1)

+
OK, I know y'all have a lot on your collective plate and I appreciate that you've been trying to tackle the bigger stuff, so this is minor; something to stick on the "to-do" list when you do a minor patch or hotfix.

Ammo counter! Seriously! You set up a four-digit field on the HUD for available ammo and then neglected to tell the player that you were just foolin' since they can't carry that much ammo. You can't carry more than about 400 rounds of pistol ammo, 700 rounds of rifle ammo, and 100 each of shotgun and sniper ammo. Could be wrong on the rifle, but the rest are pretty solid based on my own gameplay.

If you are full up with a particular type (my current V uses shotgun, so I'll pick on that), you can waltz in to any gun dealer, plunk down your eddies for whatever shotgun ammo they have in stock, lose the eddies, and get nothing in return. Not even a "you can't carry more of that type of ammo" message. The same is true for crafting (lose the components and get nothing in return). Yes, if you pay VERY close attention when purchasing/crafting, you can see that the color of the amount purchased/crafted changes to red when you hit the carry limit. Give an "E" for "effort," but not for "effective."

Something a bit more obvious would be very helpful and a bit of a heads-up would be really nice here. Maybe set it up as a fraction like "253/400" for the pistol ammo, but do something to let the player know that there's a carry limit and how close they are to it. It's been like this since release (not sure about the changing font color - just noticed that a couple of days ago). Maybe also set it up so that any ammo which gets picked up beyond the carry limit gets broken down to components? If you want to require the Scrapper perk to do that, that's cool, but it's been an annoying issue for far too long (and yes, I know you've been really focused on the game-breaking stuff rather than the annoying stuff).

On a similar note, after taking down an enemy that's been pumping me full of pistol holes, it's really strange to see that I'm looting sniper ammo from them or looting pistol ammo from a shotgun user. Making the ammo loot match the weapon would be a nice thing to do. Just sayin'.

You typed out a whole lot for the slim-none chance a dev is going to see it, much less act on it.
Checking to see what you have in terms of ammo would be a good idea, instead of just waltzing into a shop and spending your hard earned eddies all willy-nilly. Also, ammo is craftable now, so there's always that option if you're a bit low. As for your last point, RNG sucks. It's like being a warrior in W.o.W., but getting items for a healer. It seems to be an easier system on the tech than having to create specific lists for EVERY n.p.c. in the game. (seriously, that would eat a lot of the data, so some features would need to be removed)

True, but if I didn't type it, the chances of it being seen are zero Ya gotta buy a ticket if you want to win the lottery.

As for the rest, I'm coming back to the game after a several month break and this was one of the first "WTF?!?" moments that I hit. If I'm asking and head-scratching then new players almost certainly are. Maybe something gets done, maybe not, but you get nothing if you don't ask. And yes, now that I'm aware of the problem, I'm paying more attention to it. The gripe is that there's nothing to let me know that I need to be paying attention. Making plans to go Rambo means making sure you've got a full loadout and "where's that ammo I just bought/looted?" shouldn't need to be asked. As stated, it's a minor issue and ammo isn't exactly a scarce resource.

Wasn't calling you out or anything. I was hoping it'd be helpful. Ammo check is just an old habit of mine, unless i've got infinite on. I feel the pain though. It's like old school doom when you run out of chaingun ammo, and have to hunt down rounds because now your pistol is out too.

It's like old school doom when you run out of chaingun ammo, and have to hunt down rounds because now your pistol is out too.
Sooo... it must be a feature then?

Who used the Chaingun by the way? Shotty all the way. You gotta see the look in the eyes of the denizens of hell as you send them back where they belong. Sorry, I got carried away with nostalgia there. :)

On a more topic worthy note.... The ammo issue when exceeding the limits has to be an oversight. I will now time how long it takes for this comment to bounce off the forum walls and return to it's origin.

Sooo... it must be a feature then?

Who used the Chaingun by the way? Shotty all the way. You gotta see the look in the eyes of the denizens of hell as you send them back where they belong. Sorry, I got carried away with nostalgia there. :)

On a more topic worthy note.... The ammo issue when exceeding the limits has to be an oversight. I will now time how long it takes for this comment to bounce off the forum walls and return to it's origin.
I usually go Chaingun when i'm out of shotgun shells. :D I'm not saying they shouldn't do something. It's a more reasonable request than some things i've seen people ask for.

Top Bottom