Gta vs cyberpunk

+
GTA and RDR2? Now THAT is an extremely shallow shooter that I dropped half-way through. Amazing physics and detail but everything still boils down to linear paths that fails you if you don't follow specific instructions. Every single combat scenario is basic cover shooting and vehicle chases. No black box levels. No non-lethal options. No full melee or pacifist playthroughs. Very few options.
GTA and RDR2 are "true" Action Adventures with linear storylines wide like an avenue. Everyone knew what he/she would get. If there wouldn't be a difference between Action Adventure/RPG there wouldn't be so many people "not satisfied" with the path Ubisoft went with AC in the last years.
CP2077 is everything and nothing. This is the reason why it can't compete with <insert the best of> Action Adventures, Action RPGs, Shooters, Looter Shooters, bla.
Imho.
I don't know if this was intentional and they tried to make something new and brilliant, let us call it "next gen", and lost it on their way. Or if somebody was overwhelmed by the task bringing the threads together again and made bad decisions.

Who was head of studio/game director when they made Witcher 3? I couldn't find something.

Isn't that all action-oriented games then? Going around and killing things in a nutshell?

Well let's take your comparisons - in Fallout 4 I might spend just as much time building. In Skyrim I might spend a fair bit of time thieving or crafting and resource gathering. Cyberpunk's game systems are so half-baked, shallow, poorly implemented and unsatisfactory that they never succeed in pulling the gameplay far enough away from GTAV to make comparisons invalid.

As for the linearity of GTAV and RDR2, CP77 is no different in that regard. 95% of the dialogue choices are meaningless. The non lethal options are meaningless. What you have is just an illusion of freedom and is really more linear than RDR2. Combine that with the lifeless open world and the game quickly breaks down into a repetitive action shooter with 'clear the map markers' gameplay like something out of Assassin's Creed.

Guest 3847602

Who was head of studio/game director when they made Witcher 3? I couldn't find something.
Head of studio was the same person who's apparently responsible for everything wrong with Cyberpunk - Adam Badowski. Game director is also the same as before - Konrad Tomaszkiewicz. Same with story director (Marcin Blacha), English adaptation director (Borys Pugacz-Muraszkiewicz) and quest design director (Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz). Same people, same positions.

I don't know if this was intentional and they tried to make something new and brilliant, let us call it "next gen", and lost it on their way. Or if somebody was overwhelmed by the task bringing the threads together again and made bad decisions.
They got caught up in ambition, poor management, and over marketing. That is one avenue I will never defend. Call it out for over-promising.

GTA and RDR2 are "true" Action Adventures with linear storylines wide like an avenue. Everyone knew what he/she would get. If there wouldn't be a difference between Action Adventure/RPG there wouldn't be so many people "not satisfied" with the path Ubisoft went with AC in the last years.
CP2077 is everything and nothing. This is the reason why it can't compete with <insert the best of> Action Adventures, Action RPGs, Shooters, Looter Shooters, bla.
That "true" label doesn't matter when genre walls are so thin in this day and age. So the comparisons are still shallow. And the further proves my point of their difference. We have action-adventure games that have RPG elements and RPGs that are action-oriented. Batman Arkham, Ghost of Tsushima even AC Unity are labeled as Action-adventure yet they offer more approaches to missions than GTA and has light progression systems that are more akin to RPGs. Games dabble in other genres depending on what it's about.

CP2077 is narrative-based 1st and foremost. Approaching combat/exploration like Shadow Warrior, Doom, Dying Light, or Watch Dogs are viable options because that where the non-linearity and player emergence extends to. But at the end of the day, the combat options are nothing more than just player emergent options so they are "lite" versions of those influences rather than focusing in one avenue like how GTA focuses on a refined crime system because it doesn't offer that black box mission design Deus Ex has. Because that's not what GTAv is about while CP2077 is.

And before you say that the narrative is "bad". That still depends on an individual's subjective opinion. There are people who are overly critical of the story, some straight-up voice their disdain and disappointment but there is also a massive chunk of people who genuinely enjoys the writing and the characters for all it's worth and spent hundreds of hours with it already. Saying it's less non-linear than TW3 also doesn't mean it's entirely non-linear. Because compared to GTA which this thread is about, it definitely is.

Konrad Tomaszkiewicz was the game director of TW3 if i recall. Did a stellar job. But that's also because they learned and improved after the 2 previous entries. CP2077 is still their very 1st rodeo with the IP. It's only obvious that there will be rough corners like every 1st entry of this scale. However, it's also pretty severe because of the management and current director's fuck up and they deserve criticism for it.

Well let's take your comparisons - in Fallout 4 I might spend just as much time building. In Skyrim I might spend a fair bit of time thieving or crafting and resource gathering.
You're putting your own comparisons in my mouth. I never compared this with FO4 or Skyrim. Those games have entirely different systems. :shrug: I only ever compared this to Deus Ex as I consider it to be Deus Ex-lite with cars and a heavy focus on dialogue. Still pretty far from GTA in terms of game direction. Like I said, the only 2 things that are familiar and not even remotely similar in design and function are the drivable cars and the metropolis setting

Last edited:
This game feel like GTA with those annoying phone calls. You’re in the middle of a mission and a phone call comes in that you can’t ignore. Can’t they make these calls go straight to voicemail or text? What’s worst is they don’t even pertain to the current mission.

This game has GTA elements that are not well executed.

being a much newer game than GTA V, Cyberpunk 2077 is significantly bigger. It has a wider playground for everyone since Night City and the surrounding area measures in at around 100+ square kilometers. GTA V's Los Santos and the nearby wilderness is only about 75 square kilometers.

so my favorite is cyberpunk 77. I had played too much GTA in my childhood.

Last edited:
Head of studio was the same person who's apparently responsible for everything wrong with Cyberpunk - Adam Badowski. Game director is also the same as before - Konrad Tomaszkiewicz. Same with story director (Marcin Blacha), English adaptation director (Borys Pugacz-Muraszkiewicz) and quest design director (Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz). Same people, same positions.
Nah. Tomaszkiewicz was game director (I think) and became design director for CP. Badwoski became Studio Head 2016 and Creative Director Sebastian Stępień left.
Well. I'm not saying names, but I think until somebody leave... bah.

CP2077 is narrative-based 1st and foremost.
Then I really don't know why they make the "story" so short.

Guest 3847602

Nah. Tomaszkiewicz was game director (I think) and became design director for CP. Badwoski became Studio Head 2016 and Creative Director Sebastian Stępień left.
Well. I'm not saying names, but I think until somebody leave... bah.
You can compare TW3 credits with CP2077 credits. Adam Badowski was a head of studio even back then.
Sebastian Stepien was a lead writer and creative director for Cyberpunk until 2019.
It's poplar to blame AB for everything one finds disappointing about this game, but what happened in 2016 doesn't seem like a coup, just TW3 team finishing their work on BaW expansion and being relocated to work on CP2077, game which has only been in pre-production phase by then.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the stuff I forgive.
Maybe in the next game or an update.
I'd have to see how much cash they put into the game to fairly judge.

i like those videos. on reddit someone compared cp2077 to rdr2 and because of this i got rdo standalone on epic store for 4,99 only and now playing this =)

i think there wont be any huge content jumps for cp2077 anymore. also there wont be any „no mans sky“ some people dream of to get the game cdpr initially announced. when badowski already choose the speech excuse exit „ games are changed during developement“ kind a sucks being cheated like this.

cp2077 has though the advantage over rockstar that you can play your own designed character. in all gta or rdr you need to play fix created protagonists.

It's poplar to blame AB for everything one finds disappointing about this game, but what happened in 2016 doesn't seem like a coup, just TW3 team finishing their work on BaW expansion and being relocated to work on CP2077, game which has only been in pre-production phase by then.
It makes no sense to discuss that in this forum, bc the mods would prevent it :)

Then I really don't know why they make the "story" so short.
Kinda empathize with you there. It's well written, the characters are stellar. To me and many others at least. But the time spent to attach yourself with the characters and the city itself are far too short. I suspect it's because of the ongoing complaint trend in the industry saying that video games are "too long" + the fact that they weren't happy with the tiny amount of people who didn't finish TW3 because they felt it was padded out. It's alright to me if it wasn't as long as TW3 but the cut here is pretty severe.

That said you still can't demote it from being narrative-focused just because of it's its length. Games can have a 6-20hr campaign and still have the narrative as the center of it all like New Vegas, Mass Effect 1 or even TW3's expansions. We're just so used to having 60hr long campaigns nowadays. Not a bad thing but that doesn't make the shorter story-driven games uncounted.

Last edited:
GTA V is a city prop set for a kid to go on a killing spree. C77 is a mature sci-fi story. For me that totally and completely concludes the comparison.
Pretty much exactly this, very well said Choom. I would even go so far as to offer that a prop set is indeed less content than it may at first seem. A few canned reactions/mechanics copy and pasted all over the world gives the illusion of "content" that written, scripted, voice acted content. And I would also heavily agree with @Mk3rd that Black Box mission content > punch random NPC #24465 and get canned reaction #4.

When viewed through that lens, one could easily argue that GTA V is much more "lazy" in its content.

Last edited:
I see many people forgot what a disaster GTA V was on PC port, also unlike CP77 which runs well on new gens and the more powerful versions of old gen consoles, GTA was a disaster even if you had High-End PC.
1. AI on PC was dump as fuck because it crashed most of the time.
2. Everyone and everythnig felt like ballons on helium when you hit them bye bye good physics.
3. The Screens of Death were a nightmare for over a year there are still shittone of topics with thousands of replies of peaple having SoD. GTA V port was so bad it didn't only crash the game it crashed the entire system forcing a PC restart in most cases, even when you got a crash without SoD most likely it crashed to a point the system wasnt responding anyway so still restart was needed.

Most of Arguments people use to describe why GTA is better then CP77 had to be fixed because they were broken, not to mention staff thats used as Argument but wasnt in GTA at launch but added afterwards.

Why if GTA V is so great why cant anybody explain that actually even after 7 years GTA is more likely to crash on a High-End PC then CP77??

Dont get me wrong I like GTA but the way people compare those two games is ridiculous. Acting as if they either forgot how bad GTA was as PC port, or being a part of console dushbags that laughed PC players should get a console because GTA V was made for it, well guess what CDPR makes games for PCs, but unlike those idiots from before we don't tell you to get a HE PC, CP77 has problems and like Rockstar fixed GTA, CDPR would do justice to CP.

The conclusion is Launch CP77 is far better then Launch GTA V, the fact is CP77 runs better on old gen then GTA run on any PC around its launch.
The argument of lifeless town is bullshit IMO, my NC is crowded and as long as you dont run wild blazing guns everywhere NPCs will act differently, also GTA V AI IMO is just slightly better then CP as CPs AI in some cases behaves better then GTA like in combat I cant count how many times enemy in GTA run into a wall directly opposite me and unloded everything into it. Maybe these problems are on PC only (no idea) but they are GTA problems that exist.

IMO When we get new free missions and new features in DLCs for CP77 it will not only be better then GTA V, it will leave it in the dust.

Last edited:
This game feel like GTA with those annoying phone calls. You’re in the middle of a mission and a phone call comes in that you can’t ignore. Can’t they make these calls go straight to voicemail or text? What’s worst is they don’t even pertain to the current mission.

This game has GTA elements that are not well executed.

This is a pretty big grip I have with Cyberpunk. Fixers calling you immediately as you enter their territory seems weird to me thematically and also is just damn annoying. How fixers work needs a decent amount of tuning to be what they are portrayed as in universe. Its a big deal meeting Dex but literally every other fixer in town just phones you up while your in the middle of crap to say how much they want to work with you. It does remind me a lot of GTA 4s phone call implementation.

Top Bottom