GTX 970 Crash FIX!!

+
GTX 970 Crash FIX!!

Just installed for the first time in my life MSI AFTERBURNER .. this crappy software made my performance way worse without even OC anything, I just wanted to set custom GPU fan temperatures and Witcher 3 start crashing every 5 10 min.

MSI afterburner is for paranoid people who like to check their turkey every 5 mins.

but yes, the overlay has been known to cause problem, amongst other things.

Have been playing with and without and the game crashes at random anyway.

Placebo fix is placebo fix.

Have been playing with and without and the game crashes at random anyway.

Placebo fix is placebo fix.

If you underclock your GPU or use my magic config in my sig you will barely crash if any with a 970 I have been playing since day 1 with it and it has helped over 300 people with 970's

If you underclock your GPU or use my magic config in my sig you will barely crash if any with a 970 I have been playing since day 1 with it and it has helped over 300 people with 970's

Barely crashing is still crashing.

Where do you get this 'over 300 people' thing from?

Umh ok, you clearly have no idea what Afterburner is for.
Anyway I have my 970s overclocked and solved completely the crashes by increasing the power limit, which is "the right" way of doing it, achieving the same principle of underclocking.

He posted the graphics settings he uses. But they are magic apparently. It's quite funny really.

Anyway I have my 970s overclocked and solved completely the crashes by increasing the power limit, which is "the right" way of doing it, achieving the same principle of underclocking.

He posted the graphics settings he uses. But they are magic apparently. It's quite funny really.

I have a list of people TYVM, it's on 6 forums and 4 reddits since day 1. I do stuff the safe way, increasing the power limit is NOT safe for the common gamer, and it doesn't fix the real problem which is when the GPU/Voltage tops out at 100% it crashes, the GPU memory leak, etc.... These settings run it right under the threshold so no unsafe tweaking is needed while you still get the ultra settings that matter. Kids and novice gamers read the forums too, telling them to raise things over specified limits isn't a safe fix at all :p
ALL in all just helping, no one is forcing you to try the config but it's proven and verified by many.

we don't need magic configs, we need nvidia to fix their shitty driver

That's fine shut down the game and wait cuz nVidia takes forever to do anything. We even had to report their shitty settings they "recommended" on day 1.

+ still crashing try underclocking your GPU. ???

Please I'm on a Titan X and while playing my TDP is 55 and 65C ... with my cfg. So... it is not the case to underclock a card.

+ still crashing try underclocking your GPU. ???

Please I'm on a Titan X and while playing my TDP is 55 and 65C ... with my cfg. So... it is not the case to underclock a card.

If you underclock a card that is crashing at 100% it creates a bottleneck which stops it from going to 100%.

The Titan X is a specialty card so I would write directly to nvidia and CDPR about it's issues, as most the market doesn't use it.

Once I turned off Fullscreen and started to use Windows Borderlines, I had no more crashes with Patch 1.04

I also do not use NVIDIA GeForce Experience for streaming because that causes NVIDIA driver to crash at some point, or did for me at least.

I also have MSI Afterburner but not using it, just installed. No problems.

I have a MSI GeForce GTX 970 4GB OC
And latest NVIDIA driver.

Last edited:
Even if I dont touch anything about the clocks I jsut wanted to use it for screenshots ... couldn't because while it is ON while gaming the game crashes when CLOSED and installed not crashes.

Underclocking my card by 10Mhz fixed my crashes ever since I did it last night, even when I'd browse through videos on chrome. Completely gone.

Just installed for the first time in my life MSI AFTERBURNER .. this crappy software made my performance way worse without even OC anything, I just wanted to set custom GPU fan temperatures and Witcher 3 start crashing every 5 10 min.

razzorpakk is right, just try this with MSI Afterburner http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...0-OC-reason-tweak-until-a-fix-from-Nvida-CDPR

"Once I turned off Fullscreen and started to use Windows Borderlines," I use this in GTA and it works... i might do that here too...

I have an oc'd 970 - 970FTW - and the game ran very well initially, but after 1.04 i've had consistent crashes - hard and soft. I've tried everything: adjusting settings, closing all background apps, etc... Regardless of these changes, the game runs okay for a random amount of time, I think i've solved the issue, then the game crashes again. As far as i'm concerned, its a patch issue or a driver issue depending on ones perspective. Whatever they did in 1.04 just isn't grooving with the release day video drivers. Same thing happened with DAI release: game had loads of stability issues, then after a few patches the game ran stable. Just going to have to be patient. Such is the current state of PC gaming and AAA releases I'm afraid.

Going back and forth , thinking about settings and what should be turned on/off , spoils the flow of the game for me and essentially ruins it as far as i'm concerned. I'm just going to give it a rest until a patch is released and/or new drivers from nvidia are released.

Nothing I have tried works, not the MSI fix, not windowed boarderless, not rolling back the drivers. Last hope at this point is the upcoming patch. I hope They have done good work on it.

Is there any information on whether this issue is being addressed? While I admire the voodoo science qualities of the fixes posted here, I really hope this bug is being addressed as a priority; I have a new computer with a 970 and the game reliably hard crashes on cutscenes/dialog (black screen, windows dead, power cut required). After 4 crashes in the tutorial, I did apply the advice on playing with settings and underpowering the card: it seemed to help, but still had yet another crash talking to Captain Peter at the garrison, so less than 30min of game time. Obviously this is on 1.04 and with updated drivers etc.

If there is any question: Yes, this bug renders the game nonfunctional for me, and I would really hope that it is addressed with a higher priority than something like a wrong Total Play Time or minor graphical or quest issues.

woot? why should i underclock my GPU!? this is insane!

just go back to default clock and disable afterburner - 40 hours in and not one crash after that.
with OC and afterburner on i crashed like every hour ;)

and btw. everyone running afterburner knows when any game crash its the first thing to check - no revelation afterburner is causing trouble again

Top Bottom