gtx 970 fps drops after 10-20 mins of game play

+
gtx 970 fps drops after 10-20 mins of game play

I'm running a i7 2600 @ 4ghz
msi red gtx 970
16 gigs of ram

I've been watching the temps, usage and all of the stats of cpu and gpu and nothing seems to change at all yet my fps drops by roughly 20 fps. Sits steady at 60 then not sure why but in all zones the fps will drop to steady 35-40. I have hair works off with detail and terrain on ultra rest on high settings with shadows on medium. only thing that fixes it is if i reboot my computer. when i restart my game it just will run at lower fps even if i wait a hour or so. please help

Last edited:
Check gpu core clock. Is it at max or lower?
Also, look in system event viewer for driver crash and/or recovery.
If driver crashed at any point of system usage, only reboot can fix this issue for this card.
Latest nvidia drivers crashed for me too. Now I use 355.98, no crashes since install.

Also, if you OC your gpu, try lower OC settings.

Maybe some power saving issue that throttles the card back. Can be related to high GPU temperatures.

I've got exactly the same card model and I don't experience those issues. However, having a somewhat weaker cpu my framerate keeps around ~50fps - stable.

msi red gtx 970
16 gigs of ram

I've been watching the temps, usage and all of the stats of cpu and gpu and nothing seems to change at all yet my fps drops by roughly 20 fps. Sits steady at 60 then not sure why but in all zones the fps will drop to steady 35-40. I have hair works off with detail and terrain on ultra rest on high settings with shadows on medium. only thing that fixes it is if i reboot my computer. when i restart my game it just will run at lower fps even if i wait a hour or so. please help

Firstly, make sure you are running the very latest Nvidia driver 358.50. Also ensure you have Windows fully updated (these two things are a no-brainer).

Are you running the game on a clean install? do you have any software that loads at start-up which has the potential to slow your computer down? if so, quit everything in your systray before loading the game.

Have you tried deleting the user.settings file in your c:/Users/Your Name/Documents/The Witcher 3/ folder? This has fixed a lot of people's issues regarding slowdowns.

If you are overclocking, reset your settings back to default. If that fixes the problem, you need to find values that wont end up overheating and throttling your card.

You can monitor the temperature of your GPU with TechPowerUp GPU-Z. You can log all the sensor information to a file to see if there is any obvious Core and Memory throttling when certain temperatures are reached. I believe you can also do this with MSI Afterburner.

As @Dex_LV suggested, check the logs in your Event Viewer for any display driver related crashes.

Make sure your computer is sufficiently ventilated so that hot air isn't being recycled. If it's in the corner of your room, move it out and take off the side panel to see if this makes a difference.

If none of these suggestions help, it could be that your graphics card is possibly faulty, or that your power supply is inadequate. Do you experience the same issue with other intensive games?

Last edited:
msi red gtx 970
16 gigs of ram

This definitely sounds as if the card is going into a low-power state. I would take some time and create a new power profile through Windows that ensure everything runs at 100% min/max. Also, disable any screen savers you may have installed -- including a plain black screen sleep mode for the monitor. This can trigger low-power mode in other devices.

Top Bottom