Guide to Acronyms in GWENT Discussions: 'What Do All Those Letters Mean?'

+
Guide to Acronyms in GWENT Discussions: 'What Do All Those Letters Mean?'

***Update: This guide is partially outdated, and will eventually be overhauled to reflect new terms used in the Public Beta.***

Based on a suggestion from el_Bosco, here is a list of some of the more common abbreviations and terms used in discussions of Gwent.

Note: This is a work in progress, so, if there's a term you think should be on the list, or have a correction, please, let me know and I'll add it. Also, this is meant as a reference, so, please, do not discuss tactics or cards here. Only post suggestions for the main list. Thank you.

The Factions:

Mons - Monsters
NG - Nilfgaard
NR - Northern Realms
SK - Skellige
ST, SC, or SCO - Scoia'tael

The Cards:

Aero - Aeromancy
AC - Artefact Compression
ADC - Alzur's Double–Cross
AR - Adrenaline Rush
BMC - Blue Mountain Commando
Borkh - Villentretenmerth
Dbomb or DB - Dimeritium Bomb
DBP - Dol Blathanna Protector
DJ or DJ Extra - Dijkstra
DShack(les) - Dimeritium Shackles
FL - First Light
Gaard/Aard - Geralt: Aard
Gigni/Igni - Geralt: Igni
HS - Hawker Support
I:M - Iorveth Meditation
JC - John Calveit
KoB - King of Beggars
KSE -Kaedweni Siege Expert
Leshen - Alternative name for Woodland Spirit (uncommon).
Merc - Usually, Eleven Mercenary.
RNR - Ragh Nar Roog
'Shrooms'/Mushrooms - Mardroeme
SS - Skellige Storm
Thunder - Alzur's Thunder
Triss: Butt - Triss: Butterfly Spell
Villen - Villentretenmerth
VM - Vicovaro Medic
WHR - Wild Hunt Rider
WH - Water Hag
Whale - Spectral Whale spawned by Blueboy Lugos
WHW - Wild Hunt Warrior
Yencon - Yennefer: The Conjurer

Miscellaneous:

Auto-include - Card which is included in all decks, usually to counter another, or same, card.
BM - Bad Manners
Buff - To strengthen a card's ability or strength.
CA - Card Advantage
CCG - Collectable Card Game
CDPR - CD Projekt RED, developer of Gwent (also known as the REDS).
Cheese - Easy, powerful strategy, considered unfair by some.
(Deck) Thinning - Tactic(s) for drawing desired/needed cards from the deck while playing, other than the initial card draw .
Dorfs - Scoia'tael decks featuring dwarves (sometimes used contemptuously).
F2P - Free to Play(a viable option in Gwent).
Filtering - Method of determining which cards will be drawn.
GG - 'Good Game'
GY - Graveyard
Meta / Meta-deck - Overall state of Gwent / popular deck based upon most effective and commonly used cards.
MMR - Match Making Ratio/Rating
Nerf - To soften or otherwise change a card's ability or strength (allusion to soft foam toy brand).
Net-deck / Net-decking - Similar to Meta / Meta-deck, a common (effective) deck, in wide use, copied from a model on the Internet.
OP - Overpowered (also Original Poster on forums)
Res. - Resurrection
RNG - Random Number Generator (used in reference to shuffling system and drop rates for cards).
Snowball Cards - Cards which can progressively gain strength the longer they are on the board, or as a result of the number of other cards played on the board.
STR - Strength
TA - Tempo Advantage: The pace of threats and board position affecting the match (e.g. Leshen is a huge TA play, because one Gold can make a 16 or more swing)
WX -Weather Effects

Thanks to Strollin , and Treamayne for supplemental entries.

Last edited by a moderator:
THX So Much for this "Riven-Twain" :-D
It´s For Sure Something Really Helpfull (at least for me;-)

And also Thx to "El Bosco" for the proposal:)

YaY! Thanks for following my suggestion Riven-Twain !

I was actually surprised that noone thought about it sooner because it is extremely usefull for newcomers to get to know wth we're taking about.

:cheers:

WoW.. That's really useful.. Thanks.
I think we should use Mo for Monsters if there is no other card ref. to that.

I have suggested to add all cards small pics as a smiley so that we can use those directly to show the card or It's really nice is users have own image album in forum so that they can upload needed images to it & use as par needed.

TH3WITCH3R;n7662640 said:
I think we should use Mo for Monsters if there is no other card ref. to that.
If people begin to use it often when referring to Monsters, then, yes, it could be added eventually. The present list reflects abbreviations currently in use.

We'll see what can be done about the images. I think it's a good idea, though. Thanks!

RE: OP (Original Post)

GY - Graveyard
TA - Tempo Advantage - The pace of threats and board position affecting the match (e.g.: Leshen is a huge TA play, because one Gold can make a 16 or more swing)
Pancake - The notional term that has been in some threads here to describe a turn advantage, a Gwent specific consideration that doesn't directly correlate to other CCGs as CA and tempo do. (e.g. Decoy isn't really Card Advantage, since it doesn't provide additional resources like most spies; but it's totally a pancake play since it can change who will get the last card.)
Sig - Signature - the personalized bottom for each member' posts. Often hope to useful links and referenced in a post (link in my sig)
Filtering - using some method of determining what will be drawn (Stennis's ability, some new Nilfgaard cards seem they will filter the top of deck or move to bottom (increasing chances of finding what you need on top) a.k.a. Looting
Res - resurrection. Returning a unit or re-using a special card from the graveyard.

Riven-Twain;n7660490 said:
Perhaps, but I haven't noticed many people refer to them simply as 'M'.

But I have seen "Mon"...

Riven-Twain;n7659900 said:
(Deck) Thinning - Tactic for drawing desired cards from the deck while playing.
Meta - Very commonly used deck, or specific combination of cards, proven to be reliable (usually criticised for lacking variety or character).

Kind-of disagree with these two definitions. My personal take:

(Deck) Thinning - The practice of removing cards from the deck other than drawing. This can either be to play cards directly from the deck or discarding, but the desired result is to increase chances for drawing needed cards in round three (examples: Wild Hunt Rider can Deck-thin two cards when played, so you want to play them in round one so as to not draw another Rider in round two. Clan Dimun Pirate deck thins two cards to the GY - so you likewise want to use them in round one).
Meta - The state of an overall game or tournament, defined by the most commonly successful deck(s) and those cards that define strategies for or against those decks.
Meta-Deck - A common competitive deck in the Meta.

TH3WITCH3R;n7662640 said:
I have suggested to add all cards small pics as a smiley so that we can use those directly to show the card or It's really nice is users have own image album in forum so that they can upload needed images to it & use as par needed.

I just wish they would enable the card tags. They have to exist, even the Gwentdb shows that a BB Code should be something like [card]Wild Hunt Rider[/card]. And we know the images are there because they display on hover in Gwentdb. So why not in the forums?

Last edited:
Treamayne;n7665010 said:
I just wish they would enable the card tags. They have to exist, even the Gwentdb shows that a BB Code should be something like [card]Wild Hunt Rider[/card]. And we know the images are there because they display on hover in Gwentdb. So why not in the forums?

Yehh that's a good idea to but if it requires to remember card name then I will really prefer simple smile thing as that's my main problem to remember every card name with proper spelling. More and more new cards will come so I think something like this is really going to help for sure.

Btw sry. if this is a really dump question but I read it somewhere on forum about snowball card or something like that.. what exactly it means?

TH3WITCH3R;n7666360 said:
Btw sry. if this is a really dump question but I read it somewhere on forum about snowball card or something like that.. what exactly it means?

I'm not sure if snowball card means the same, but snowballing in general in video games basically means that you start to get a slight advantage somehow that gets out of hand over time.
In MOBAs for example this means if you lose the first fight you put yourself into a disadvantage that makes it harder to win the second fight, resulting in a higher disadvantage for the 3rd fight and so on.
So I would assume a snowball card is something that gets a slight advantage somehow and proceeds to make that advantage bigger each turn, making it harder to stop it with each turn.
(The term "snowballing" comes from a snowball rolling down a mountain that gets bigger and bigger the deeper it rolls :D)

el_Bosco;n7661550 said:
YaY! Thanks for following my suggestion Riven-Twain !

I was actually surprised that noone thought about it sooner because it is extremely usefull for newcomers to get to know wth we're taking about.

:cheers:

First time I saw them I just googled what I couldnt figure out. But nice post for easing everybody's lives.

Strollin;n7666500 said:
I'm not sure if snowball card means the same, but snowballing in general in video games basically means that you start to get a slight advantage somehow that gets out of hand over time.

In Gwent, three similar card types that buff themselves can be differentiated with extra terms. This is a term for one kind (though it isn't common parlance yet).

Regular Self-Buff (e.g. Trololo, Gremist) gives itself a one time bonus. Grave Hag could also be put in this category, depending on the person and stratification desired (you could also make a fourth category for 1-time self buffs that are on a timer)

Incremental Self-Buff (e.g. Frightener) are self-buff on a timer. One action repeated over and over (with a possible upper limit, if you include cards like Reaver Hunter, same clause as before)

Snowball Self-Buff are cards that buff for each <action/event>. Cards like Hawker Support, Clan Tuirseach Axeman, Sarah are all examples. Called snowball because they can trigger much more often than an incremental self-buff if the deck is built for it (and therefore dangerous if not dealt with right away).

Also, on another note, with a reasonable volume of non-native English speakers here, should we add some generic acronyms?

e.g. (exempli gratia - Latin meaning "for example") / i.e. (id est - Latin meaning "that is") / Ex. (abbreviation for "Examples" - these are all terms to preface examples or demonstrations.
a.k.a. - "Also known as" - for alternate terms or meanings of things
etc. - "et cetera" indication of a continued list or more items than listed. Similar items are included

Top Bottom