Gunfire in the game needs to be loud!

+
One thing that REALLY lacks in a lot of sci-fi games with shooting in it is just how quiet guns are, totally ignoring how loud and disorienting gunfire really is. If you watch the bank robbery scene in HEAT and just randomly any other gunfight in most other movies (there are a few other examples, like The Kingdom did an OK job), you'll notice that something feels really different between them. The one main thing that makes the bank robbery scene in HEAT feel more intense is the sound. The guns sound LOUD compared to everything else. It drowns out people yelling and any other noise. It is supposed to. And most games make guns sound like they are airsoft guns and it actually kills a lot of the intensity in the gunfight.

Obviously I'm not saying to make it so loud it causes everyone hearing loss, like it actually does in real life. I'm saying to make it louder in comparison to everything else. Like please don't have it so you can have a leisurely conversation with someone while shooting your guns. That makes the entire fight feel cheap and not at all intense. Like yes, the gunfire is SUPPOSED to drown out someone talking to you... Even firearms with sound suppressors on them are actually still very loud. For me a game that maintains that will have such better action than one that doesn't...

Now some will argue that maybe energy weapons shouldn't be that loud, but if you really think about it, if the energy it is shooting out is so powerful, it really should result in a lot of residual energy being blasted out when it is fired. That could be interpreted as some kind of noise. Like if it comes out with a meager little "pew" I would kind of expect to like barely singe your clothing and not feel like I'm firing something powerful...

But then you won't hear the ''Shit! They got me! THAT HURT LIKE HELL!'' or ''Evasive Manoeuve- AHHHHH MY WEE WEE!''

I dunno, between 'intense' Pew pewing and hearing the ennemy suffer ? I take the screaming of mine ennemy :coolstory:

But then you won't hear the ''Shit! They got me! THAT HURT LIKE HELL!'' or ''Evasive Manoeuve- AHHHHH MY WEE WEE!''

I dunno, between 'intense' Pew pewing and hearing the ennemy suffer ? I take the screaming of mine ennemy :coolstory:
Lol, but the enemy suffering is a result of your shooting, so technically you'll hear it since you've already shot them, lol.

Lol, but the enemy suffering is a result of your shooting, so technically you'll hear it since you've already shot them, lol.
B-but..I don't wanna have to yell LOUDER : WHAT DID YOU SAY ?! *PEW PEW* DID THAT HURT ?! *PEW PEW*

Ennemy: Y-yes..IT HURRRRRRRRRRT!

*Companion use SHOTGUN AND BAAAAAAAAAAAAAANG*

Me: WILL YOU CUT THAT OUT! I CAN'T HEAR HIM!!!!!!!!!!

It gonna be 1st person view = That gonna be intense .
You gonna be gunning for your life in a city where anyone can shoot you for credits = That's intense
You have a health bar drooping = That's intense .

Beside there is music background and chit chat . I doubt they gonna raise the sound of Guns , it would make all the environnement Fx & Music and npc dialogues pointless .

Edit: I guess you could always request a slider for weapons sound that you can turn to the max, while turning off all the others sound for yourself .

Edit 2: Also, personally lol I'll be going full Katana Kill Bill on everyone butt lol so you know....guns sound won't matter when I'm chopping and making Sushi ;)

THE ENEMY IS EVERYWHERE!

I agree though, I hope it was just place holder sound effects and the bigger guns, especially the heavy rifle you rip off the turret, sound much chunkier.

THE ENEMY IS EVERYWHERE!

I agree though, I hope it was just place holder sound effects and the bigger guns, especially the heavy rifle you rip off the turret, sound much more chunky.

Definitely. It honestly bugs me a little bit when the guns in a game sound like airsoft. A slider just for gun sounds that won't affect the other sounds would be great where the minimum is where the game is now and you can crank that baby all the way up, lol.

Guest 4310777

Yeah, the gunfire should be super loud, but also spread across the frequency spectrum. It sucks when gunfire sounds "compressed," there should be significant low end when firing, plus the complex high frequency metallic sounds of the moving components. And obviously, lots of environmental feedback from the projectile afterwards. In the options, they should include the ability to reduce the dynamic range, for smaller speakers or low volume listening.
Post automatically merged:

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree, the guns should sound heavy and impactful so it gives them a sense of punch but i'm not going to write them off just yet because of two reasons as i see it, first is that it's not especially difficult to fix in the coming months of polish and there's also the the fact that the sounds could be toned down for this demo because it's a narrated walkthrough of some of the customization and features in the game, i think there's more to it than the demo showed but you can never be certain so we'll see.

Unfortunately we're hearing it layered underneath narration and music, but you can still tell the sound design needs work. The guns not only need to be louder, they should sound more interesting. Look at all the effort the artists put in to create superb and detailed gun models, but they sound like a typical Call of Doodie gun from 2007.

Listen to the variety in SW2:

The devs had like 40 guns in this game and they went out of their way to make each one sound unique. And again, I would say this was an issue with TW3, where some of the metal on metal and parrying sword sounds weren't emphasized enough.

*Also look at how fast and fluid the reload animations are.

Last edited:
100% Agree. Loud and -real-.

HEAT is famous for using live weapon sounds, super realistic. Those are the actors, firing away at full volume and effect.

If you've ever heard the real thing, you know this sound.

Yep, I mentioned HEAT as the example. Imagine that scene with like the computer generated pops you hear in other movies. It just won't be the same...

And on a sidenote, love that look that last guy gives to Al Pacino's character, it perfectly says: "Oh crap, I'm dead..."

Along with the volume, the thing that gunfire has is that since it's so loud, there's a long tail to the shot as the sound continues to reverberate in the air from your surroundings. Most games the gun sound is just a short "pop" then complete silence afterwards. Watch that clip of HEAT again and notice whenever there is a pause after firing, you still hear the tail end of the last shot. That's another aspect that is usually completely lost in games. Ground Branch is an independently developed game that is making strides in sound design in these areas specifically. Their latest update made a huge improvement and gunfights in that game now are intense AF...

100% Agree. Loud and -real-.

HEAT is famous for using live weapon sounds, super realistic. Those are the actors, firing away at full volume and effect.

If you've ever heard the real thing, you know this sound.

It's also mixed really well, nice and chunky yet you could still hear the dialogue beneath the chaos.

You could tell games like Rage 2 and Doom really focused on this aspect. I know that's not the case here because of the multiple play-styles they're working on simultaneously, but i do hope they'll consider as it will really help to keep the blood pumping in these types of scenarios.

Loud isn't always better. The guns just need to have more bass and recoil when you shoot. From what I've seen, it looks and sounds like V is shooting a full auto .22

They need to find the sound team that did the shootouts in Heat. It was incredible and how actual gunfire sounds in an urban setting with the echos.

Like people have already said, loud isn't better. Sometimes less is more.

Yes, the one "people" lol. It's alright, there's a reason why a lot of game developers make their shooters sound like airsoft simulators. Some people would rather hear the cheesy one-liners than to be immersed into the game. So you're not alone.

But anyway, even that one "people" here that said louder isn't what it needs was really just saying that it's not JUST the loudness, but the rest of the audio spectrum needs to be enhanced as well, which I agree with.

Last edited:
Ok, I didn't want to just post a link to a video I found on youtube, so I made one taken from another game where they are actively working on the sounds in their latest updates.

Very informative video, thanks! Heat vibes are a-plenty in a city area. That’s what guns should sound like, they don’t exist in a vacuum, the sound travels and reverberates off of obstacles.

There's a couple great Fallout 4 mods that make this experience much better. I assume we won't get anything close to as good as that city setting in Ground Branch. Another thing mods will likely have to take care of in CP2077

Top Bottom