Gunfire in the game needs to be loud!

+
Provided we get mod support the probability of which to me seems highly unlikely.
Yeah I'm not expecting official mod support in the form of a REDkit but as long as they don't actively work to prevent mods, it should be fine. GTA V never got any official mod support, Rockstar just wasn't trying to stop it (for single player)

Loud isn't enough, not by itself. If it's going to be loud it needs to be sharp, clear and distinct.

Here's a great example:

(watch in highest quality, it makes the difference.)

Wow. Extremely well done. These guys did their homework.

Wow. Extremely well done. These guys did their homework.

Indeed.

It's a PvPvE RPG-fps hybrid with a focus on gear customization, management and realism. The audio is frighteningly (literally) well done.

I don't expect Cyberpunk 2077 to have such good gun audio because easily recognizable, distinct gun sounds don't matter that much in the development of a single player game but it's a potentially good source of inspiration nevertheless.

The sound design of the guns still need a bit more work like you said.

In Django Unchained, the guns sounded very satisfying and loud, and because of that, it emphasized on each shot fired. The guns, especially the revolvers, had more "bass", and it made it feel that each weapon had a kick to it and was very powerful. You can see it here in the Candyland shootout:

Very informative video, thanks! Heat vibes are a-plenty in a city area. That’s what guns should sound like, they don’t exist in a vacuum, the sound travels and reverberates off of obstacles.
Love your NIN avatar BTW. Downward Spiral is still their best in my opinion. :)
Post automatically merged:

Loud isn't enough, not by itself. If it's going to be loud it needs to be sharp, clear and distinct.

Here's a great example:

(watch in highest quality, it makes the difference.)

Some of the suppressed sounds are quite wrong though, the 5.56NATO (AR style rifle) in particular is really really bad, lol. But of course I didn't mean just crank up the volume, but that is just the number one thing most games do wrong about gunfire. Some games spend a lot of time making their gunfire sound good, but then it's so quiet it all goes to waste because it sounds fake anyway...

Oh, and I hope the reloads are done quicker while in game, if they really reload their guns as gingerly as they do in that video man, better bring a belt-fed machine gun and hope you never have to reload, lol. But I know you only posted it for the sounds, I'm just saying, haha.

Last edited:
I would rather crisp and close to realistic with quality rather than not hearing myself think like in Squad or Insurgency.

”Loud” - in a sense that the sound has punch behind it - but not overdone. It wouldn’t do if your shotgun or .44 sounds like a howitzer.

Love your NIN avatar BTW. Downward Spiral is still their best in my opinion. :)

I dig it too, it’s one the official pics by Rob Sheridan (NIИ’s resident live shows DP) from their 2005-2006 With Teeth Tour which had a lineup which I quite like. A shame what happened with Aaron North.

”Loud” - in a sense that the sound has punch behind it - but not overdone. It wouldn’t do if your shotgun or .44 sounds like a howitzer.

It’s sure is a fine line they need to tread between making guns sound like preschoolers and overdoing it by making them sound like cannons.

Of course, I did emphasize that it should represent the firearms in a believable way. Can't say "realistic" since it's sci-fi but you get the gist...

If you watch the video I posted for the sound in the game Ground Branch, you can go to my channel there and see some actual gameplay and notice that there's plenty of communication between my guys and I in a typical round despite the loudness of the firearms. Those properly represent each weapon in relation with each other without overdoing it to where you can't hear anything else going on...

Top Bottom