GWENT and Steam?

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
4RM3D;n7638000 said:
Buying in-game items is still subjected to tax. However, I am unsure of how it works when you circumvent the Steam API (which certain games do).

Yeah, I don't think items bought in the game do count. At Least not the ones also in the steam store (dlc).
Games like STO allow to "top up" your balance through steam so you can buy ingame stuff without it actually being on steam. The value is 1on1 with through their own launcher though.

But don't quote on me that. No way I can be sure as no one talks about it.

JustinBB7;n7628520 said:

Even if it's possible, and I know I said it wasn't(shame on me for not researching), but that doesn't excuse the fact that most games on Steam aren't DRM free. I disagree with Valve's direction of steam, and honestly the idea of CDPR bending to the whims of the market kind of makes me sick. Just because everyone is using Steam doesn't mean they can't also use GOG. If people aren't willing to make a free account for a free game, do we really even want that kind of audience?

GOG is inherently better than Steam in nearly every way, and I want it to take off. I feel that having Gwent on GOG can do that.

Please keep it exclusive to GOG.

iokhta;n7658990 said:
If people aren't willing to make a free account for a free game, do we really even want that kind of audience?

A separate account for every new game you play? One for Ubisoft's Uplay, one for EA's Origin, one for generic MMORPG's website, etc...? No thanks.

iokhta;n7658990 said:
GOG is inherently better than Steam in nearly every way, and I want it to take off. I feel that having Gwent on GOG can do that.

GOG is like a sharp kitchen knife; it cuts very well. But Steam is like a Swiss Army Knife; less ideal for cutting, but more tools for every other situation. So no, GOG isn't inherently better at everything. Not by a long shot.

iokhta;n7658990 said:
Please keep it exclusive to GOG.

Exclusivity is almost always a bad thing. Look at the console wars.

4RM3D;n7659110 said:
A separate account for every new game you play? One for Ubisoft's Uplay, one for EA's Origin, one for generic MMORPG's website, etc...? No thanks.

GOG is like a sharp kitchen knife; it cuts very well. But Steam is like a Swiss Army Knife; less ideal for cutting, but more tools for every other situation. So no, GOG isn't inherently better at everything. Not by a long shot.

Steam does have a huge part of the PC games market though, which is concerning at the very least on its own for customers, especially in the long run.

Occursus;n7659410 said:
Steam does have a huge part of the PC games market though, which is concerning at the very least on its own for customers, especially in the long run.

Of Course it is concerning.

But when we look at the alternatives they are all still very much lacking.
If a platform wants to compete it has to have something to show for it.
And companies prefer to go with what they know works.

Obviously a vast majority likes steam, debating that is like convincing the world the color of the symbol for the Northren Realms is cyan with purple dots.

GoG is okey for what it does. (No it isn't great, it just isn't bad either.)
But in order to be able to play ball they have to learn to play the field, not cheat your way to the victory.

I like steam, I also like GoG. I greatly dislike Origin and Uplay. Now guess why?

Exclusive content is the worst way to go about it, as it doesn't create competition. Just strife.
And we should never encourage that , which is exactly what we are discussing here. And I'm disappointed that it is even a discussion.

Give people a choice. Don't force another exclusivity war.

nightweaver;n7659610 said:
Of Course it is concerning.

But when we look at the alternatives they are all still very much lacking.
If a platform wants to compete it has to have something to show for it.
And companies prefer to go with what they know works.

Obviously a vast majority likes steam, debating that is like convincing the world the color of the symbol for the Northren Realms is cyan with purple dots.

GoG is okey for what it does. (No it isn't great, it just isn't bad either.)
But in order to be able to play ball they have to learn to play the field, not cheat your way to the victory.

I like steam, I also like GoG. I greatly dislike Origin and Uplay. Now guess why?

Exclusive content is the worst way to go about it, as it doesn't create competition. Just strife.
And we should never encourage that , which is exactly what we are discussing here. And I'm disappointed that it is even a discussion.

Give people a choice. Don't force another exclusivity war.

You realize that most PC games are exclusive to Steam... Right?

4RM3D;n7659110 said:

That's already happened, as you've mentioned, so I don't think one more account makes a difference.

4RM3D;n7659110 said:

I hesitate to call Steam a Swiss army knife. GOG and Steam are nearly identical in feature set, and their clients are only different because Galaxy is still in beta. In order to improve the community features of GOG and Galaxy, we need more people on it.

4RM3D;n7659110 said:

See my above reply. Steam is the issue here, not GOG. There are way too many exclusive games on Steam, so the only way GOG can compete is by doing the same.

Last edited:
iokhta;n7659860 said:
That's already happened, as you've mentioned, so I don't think one more account makes a difference.

That's an invalid argument (and the wrong mentality). Oh, I already bought a 100 kegs. Doesn't matter if I buy 1 more. And another one, and another one.

iokhta;n7659860 said:
I hesitate to call Steam a Swiss army knife. GOG and Steam are nearly identical in feature set, and their clients are only different because Galaxy is still in beta. In order to improve the community features of GOG and Galaxy, we need more people on it.

Steam:
- Big Picture Mode
- Steaming Mode
- Spectator Mode
- Workshop Integration
- Screenshot Integration
- Shared Library
- Steam Market
- Integrated Voice Chat
- Quick Game Join Through Friendlist
- Greenlight / Early Access
- Badges and profile stuff, for those that care

What does GOG really have? At the moment it's just like the website, only wrapped in a desktop app.

You where saying?

iokhta;n7659860 said:
See my above reply. Steam is the issue here, not GOG. There are way too many exclusive games on Steam, so the only way GOG can compete is by doing the same

Hell no. Fighting fire with fire is always a bad idea. And your suggestion only makes things worse.

Hell no. Fighting fire with fire is always a bad idea. And your suggestion only makes things worse.

Well, firefighters do fight fire with fire when the circumstances require it.

Jokes aside, GOG.com should start by improving its environment for the users. It is the first step to attract the kind of customers gamers are.

About a release on Steam (putting this here instead of opening a new thread): I just want to express my hope that we'll only have one account for Gwent that can be used from either GoG or Steam. Given the choice, I'd rather play this on Steam, but since I've already supported the game a bit, I would not want to have to choose between being able to play on Steam *or* being able to use those kegs (as well as those from the beta rewards).

The games with mobile, console, and Steam clients almost all use this approach (one account and you can use it on any platform of your choice), and it's very convenient and gives flexibility. (Hoping for an eventual mobile client for Gwent as well. :))

Last edited:
Can we migrate to Steam?

Hi. Who spent money on gwent, after the launch of the game will be able to migrate the account to Steam without losing the investment?

That is unknown right now, it has been announced that there will be a steam version, but no specifics.

Just some speculation here: I doubt we will be able to transfer any progression or kegs, the only way I see a solution is if the steam edition of Gwent will require you to sign in with a GOG account, and use your GOG profile. which IMO is a better solution, so you don't have multiple Gwent profiles.

yeah, developers should realize that, people don't want 10 different clients on their PC.... please just unify so that we don't need steam, gog, EA Games, Ubisoft,...etc _It's kinda annoying...

Having Gwent on Steam would the the right thing to do but they want to promote their Galaxy client, so probably not.

Yo, this is an old thread but I want to add:

if you don't release the game on steam, please accept credit cards from Greece or paysafe cards. Right now I cannot purchase anything from gog and I want to buy 40 kegs for so long >.<

Edit: You can actually use paysafe, I'm sure I checked a couple of months ago and you couldn't :O

Well, wish me luck for my opening :D

Last edited:
There's absolutely no valid point to stand against Steam release. Gwent won't be released ONLY on Steam. Steam takes a cut from the income but Steam is also the biggest market for games at the moment which means more coverage for Gwent which means more money anyway. Most of us haven't spent thousand in games just to switch over for one game. I could keep playing Gwent through Galaxy but I rather played it via Steam.

Please don't put it on Steam. Steam is already almost a monopoly, we don't need it to get even more powerful. Competition is good. Besides GOG is good enough and Galaxy is a decent enough client.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom