GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets say this season I got GM. With homecoming around the corner and from whaty i can tell theres gonna be a pro ladder break happening after a few months, do the people who got GM qualify for the next pro ladder season that's available?

Most likely yes, but I would wait for official communication.

Hello, devs and Mr. Burza, when the open beta launched a lot of cards with parallel effects were present in different factions: Spotters, Nekkers, DB Protectors, Pirate Captains,... or Madman Lugos and Leo Bonhart. This idea of parallel design became a meme ("Unga-Cards") but has eventually gotten changed, to an extent at least. What I'm wondering is whether in Post-Homecoming Gwent the cards and archetypes will be functioning extremely uniquely or whether there will be copy-paste design (I'm sorry that I'm making it sound so negative). While I know that the specific cards are far from finished I'm hoping the general design direction is locked down and you can answer my inquiry :)

We're not aiming for copy-paste design, but for new and unique abilities.

Hello CDPR,

It’s more like a little suggestion.

I don’t know if this description is precise, but have you ever thought about prolong the time or change the animation effect of “2-card-play”? Take Assire for example, the situation now is that the time we have to watch the cards returned from GY is just enough for one glimpse, and you can hardly catch 2 cards in one glimpse, especially when it’s one on the top and one at the bottom. I know that we can still get information of the cards by checking GY, but since you want the cards to be shown to the players, why not make it stay longer or somehow make it more directviewing so that we don’t need to check the GY to see what just happened. And the same thing with Dijkstra, the second card it plays is totally covered by the first, if you missed the first moment for that “glimpse”, you won’t know what the second card is until you played the first.

The effect of “2-card-play” is so fast, which is more like a test of dynamic vision. I don’t think you intend to do it that way. Maybe it will change with Homecoming?

Love Gwent and hope it will be better in the future!:)

Thanks for the suggestion, we'll see how much this will change with Homecoming.

Hey,

1) Is RNG really that big of a the problem and is it the worst thing that happened with Gwent ?
2) Do you agree that the main purpose of any game is entertainment ?
3) If you are not playing Gwent professionally, in general what's more fun, playing (with or against) greatswords, alchemy or (with or against) Shupe, Uma, Johnny + Wolfsbane ?
4) Who is the director of Gwent at the moment ?
5) Is Rethaz still working with the Gwent team ?
6) Does CD Projekt Red allow any tours at their offices ?
7) If for some reason Homecoming will fail what's next ?

1) No RNG is the biggest problem, we have to remember that this is a card game and card games will always have RNG, of course we will try to limit the amount of RNG in the design space.

2) Entertaiment and being a competitive title

3) Shupe decks all the way!

4) Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz is leading the project

5) No, we parted ways

6) No, but feel free to stop by the reception for a chat with me, if you want :)

7) It won't fail

hi there! i have another question.
about the time the open homcoming letter arrived i was under the impression gwent would become a 16+ pegi game and m esrb game.

now when i am actually writing this i see at the bottom of the gwent forum it is rated m, but in the last mail i got about the recent event stream it's still e esrb and 12+ pegi.

is this just an oversight or is this whole decision is not yet final? you also said you would like to bring some of the dark fantasy atmosphere of the witcher trilogy series. is that still tha plan? thans you!

It's an oversight :)

Any chance we could get at least some screenshot leaks of new Gwent this Sunday?

Last edited:
Hi!

Can you share what the most popular premium cards are? I love the art in the game and was always interested which ones do people craft the most often.

Thanks!

Hello there,

I was wondering if you could answer a few things..
1. Are you going to make the coinflip deciding who goes first or second be the first thing we see when we enter a match before the mulligan screen? Since that was the case in witcher 3 gwent iirc, and it can affect the choices we make in our first phase of mulligans.
2. Is there going to be an overhaul to the tutorial part of the game? And will it be a voiced tutorial like the old one that was in the game earlier?
3. I know the focus is on homecoming right now but there has to be a vision for the future development of the game too, so in light of that vision, and since project homecoming is about going back to the drawing board, are there some other thoughts thrown on the table? like for eg. an overhaul for the arena to match gwent as a game? or making whatever changes to it as its own separate permanent mode added inisde the arena to add more variety to arena itself like choosing between the current one and the "X" new mode and sealed etc. also something like adding new modes for the game itself like a tournament mode for eg. for either friendly matches or online play or both? or maybe after project homecoming is done the current style of gwent could still be saved in the game as an additional mode for casual play? just to have something extra to both attract casual players who might want to play outside of ladder and have something like a "classic" mode for the older fans of the original (current) gwent, also if you pitch this last idea to the dev team and it got implemented could you guys write my name in big bold letters all over the game board? :LOL:

Guest 4305932

Are you considering the possibility of using player's hand as a row on its own?

Hello there,

I was wondering if you could answer a few things..
1. Are you going to make the coinflip deciding who goes first or second be the first thing we see when we enter a match before the mulligan screen? Since that was the case in witcher 3 gwent iirc, and it can affect the choices we make in our first phase of mulligans.
2. Is there going to be an overhaul to the tutorial part of the game? And will it be a voiced tutorial like the old one that was in the game earlier?
3. I know the focus is on homecoming right now but there has to be a vision for the future development of the game too, so in light of that vision, and since project homecoming is about going back to the drawing board, are there some other thoughts thrown on the table? like for eg. an overhaul for the arena to match gwent as a game? or making whatever changes to it as its own separate permanent mode added inisde the arena to add more variety to arena itself like choosing between the current one and the "X" new mode and sealed etc. also something like adding new modes for the game itself like a tournament mode for eg. for either friendly matches or online play or both? or maybe after project homecoming is done the current style of gwent could still be saved in the game as an additional mode for casual play? just to have something extra to both attract casual players who might want to play outside of ladder and have something like a "classic" mode for the older fans of the original (current) gwent, also if you pitch this last idea to the dev team and it got implemented could you guys write my name in big bold letters all over the game board? :LOL:

1. We'll see.
2. Yes we're reworking the whole tutorial.
3. Arena won't be overhauled, we're focusing mainly on delivering the game and not adding new features.

Hi Mr.Burza, i want to ask that is there any change in the rarity of cards? In the current design, I think the rarity of gold, silver, and copper is somewhat repetitive with the rarity of legendary orange, epic purple, and ordinary blue and white.
Good luck for dev team!

Hello!

Have you thought about re-adding the "opponent is making a choice" screen that was removed in the Midwinter update, or something similar? It made the opponent's plays easier to follow and the game more pleasing to watch. Cards such as Assire var Anahid or Ghoul are currently quite difficult to follow since there is barely any indication what cards they returned/consumed.
Example video showing the screen in action (skip to 9:55):

Relevant Reddit thread that also brings up the issue of not seeing what the opponent is playing: https://www.reddit.com/r/gwent/comments/7wtmog
Thank you, and good luck with Homecoming!

Last edited:
Are you guys planning on selling cosmetics (avatars/game boards/sleeves/etc...)? I'd really like another option to support the game.

Hi Mr.Burza, i want to ask that is there any change in the rarity of cards? In the current design, I think the rarity of gold, silver, and copper is somewhat repetitive with the rarity of legendary orange, epic purple, and ordinary blue and white.
Good luck for dev team!

No change here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom