GWENT: Ask a Dev Discussion Thread

+
After having invested in two expansion on Xbox as well as all the unlocks for Thronebreaker what support is needed to provide a one time cross save with Xbox so that I can play with all of this investment on IOS? Given that other developers with Xbox have cross saves and cross play it seems like this is something under your control. Sony i understand given their stance on anything not on their platform, but XBOX is a different story.

Okay for lambert and Ciri, Eskel pathfinder is actually legit though, he's 9 provisions because you have nothing to do in order for him to grow.

The Witcher trio is still very strong, the only reason why you don't see them much is because there is no real home for them atm. I'm gonna go and guess you're a new player (due to the "24 provisions for 6 str" and because you're asking CDPR to buff the card(s) that has been among the most broken in the entire history of Gwent when they were just 1 more str each) but you forgot the 2 card thining and 3 body they provide on top of the 6 str, which is huge.
This card is mostly for swarming strategy, every swarming deck can be a potential house for this card since they give you three body (and as I said, thin 2 cards).
If you're planning into making a Witcher deck, I suggest Nilfgaard, they have tools for swarming as well as Viper Witchers and the ability to copy and replay commander's horn.

Are you serious? The witcher trio is hot garbage now. No one uses them for good reason. They aren't even close to being worth it for two thinning. Portal is far superior. The game has power crept and new thinning tools added since back when the trio was overused. Instead of buffing them I have suggested that the devs just rework them into something else.

Witcher decks are also really bad. I want to make a deck with them but I'm not going to bother when the cards are just too weak and don't make sense.

Hi, I have a query regarding Console Gwent and Mobile release: is it official that Console collections will not be available at all on mobile platform? I saw advertising for Mobile Gwent on the Playstation version, and hoped that the two will be linked at some point :)

I'd like to ask the DEVELOPERS why they decided to build Thronebreaker using game mechanics that are more akin to the original Beta game of GWENT - even going so far as to point to GWENT as the mutliplayer game for Thronebreaker in- game - only for players not completely familiar with the new version of GWENT (the multiplayer option of Thronebreaker) to discover that Thronebreaker's cards bear little to no resemblance to GWENT (only the images are the same)?

Thronebreaker is a standalone experience. You could make the argument that it should have used actual Gwent cards in order to prepare (potential) users for the Gwent experience. However, that wasn't the intend of Thronebreaker. The devs wanted to do something different with it, like the various puzzle battles as well as introducing mechanics that would be to imbalanced in Gwent. I am actually glad that Thronebreaker didn't use any Gwent cards because it gave me a more diverse experience I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Incidentally, on a gameplay level, it would have been difficult to create an engaging single player game using only Gwent cards.

Guest 4336264

Thronebreaker is a standalone experience. You could make the argument that it should have used actual Gwent cards in order to prepare (potential) users for the Gwent experience. However, that wasn't the intend of Thronebreaker. The devs wanted to do something different with it, like the various puzzle battles as well as introducing mechanics that would be to imbalanced in Gwent. I am actually glad that Thronebreaker didn't use any Gwent cards because it gave me a more diverse experience I wouldn't have gotten otherwise. Incidentally, on a gameplay level, it would have been difficult to create an engaging single player game using only Gwent cards.

Hello, and thanks for taking the time to respond.

I appreciate your comments & point of view. However, it seems to me, from the point of view of encouraging players to move over to GWENT, it'd have been better to use cards from GWENT in the first instance, instead of getting players used to playing the card battles using Thronebreaker cards, only to switch to multiplayer and find that it's almost completely different (as a side point, Queen Meeve's leader in GWENT - standing on the board - looks awful - nothing like the Queen Meve of Thronebreaker).

Finding that the cards in GWENT bear little resemblance to Thronebreaker (besides the images), and the GWENT card game seeming somewhat slow paced and unexciting, is a bit of a let down when moving into the multiplayer experience (supposedly GWENT is Thronebreakers multiplayer game...).

What of expansions for Thronebreaker - more campaigns, etc.? Thanks.

Edit: I recognise you claim the developers intention was *not* to prepare players to play GWENT. However, surely the hope, or expectation, was to pick up regular players of GWENT. That's why the multiplayer feature offered by Thronebreaker *is* GWENT. Perhaps the developers should have provided a multiplayer feature that actually uses Thronebreaker mechanics and left GWENT completely aside...

Last edited by a moderator:
Finding that the cards in GWENT bear little resemblance to Thronebreaker (besides the images), and the GWENT card game seeming somewhat slow paced and unexciting, is a bit of a let down when moving into the multiplayer experience (supposedly GWENT is Thronebreakers multiplayer game...).

Thronebreaker is the answer for those that liked the original Gwent (and by extension RPG games like the Witcher) and wanted more. As such, creating Thronebreaker made sense. However, the direction Gwent took, does not. At least not for the original player/fan base. Incidentally (and ironically) splitting up Thronebreaker and Gwent was a good call because of this. I'll explain further...

There is an inherent problem with Gwent that cannot be solved. To put it simple, Gwent - the multiplayer card game - does not have the same player base as those who played the original Gwent mini-game in The Witcher 3. Yes, there are still quite a few players, but they remain in the minority. CDPR wanted to make Gwent a competitive card game and, because of this, they moved further away from the original concept of Gwent. Regardless of whether or not CDPR can achieve that goal, I think it was too risky a move. While the switch in direction actually attracted a lot of new players who never played The Witcher games (and some who never will because they do not care for RPG games), I acknowledge the original player/fan base and how theirs wishes have mostly gone unanswered. That is, mostly unanswered for Gwent, but Thronebreaker should have at least appeased most of the original fans (except those that dislike the 3D boards and the omission of a row).

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

Guest 4336264

Thronebreaker is the answer for those that liked the original Gwent (and by extension RPG games like the Witcher) and wanted more. As such, creating Thronebreaker made sense. However, the direction Gwent took, does not. At least not for the original player/fan base. Incidentally (and ironically) splitting up Thronebreaker and Gwent was a good call because of this. I'll explain further...

There is an inherent problem with Gwent that cannot be solved. To put it simple, Gwent - the multiplayer card game - does not have the same player base as those who played the original Gwent mini-game in The Witcher 3. Yes, there are still quite a few players, but they remain in the minority. CDPR wanted to make Gwent a competitive card game and, because of this, they moved further away from the original concept of Gwent. Regardless of whether or not CDPR can achieve that goal, I think it was too risky a move. While the switch in direction actually attracted a lot of new players who never played The Witcher games (and some who never will because they do not care for RPG games), I acknowledge the original player/fan base and how theirs wishes have mostly gone unanswered. That is, mostly unanswered for Gwent, but Thronebreaker should have at least appeased most of the original fans (except those that dislike the 3D boards and the omission of a row).
Thanks for the further reply.

I'm attempting to try and get into the current 'GWENT' card game. I can understand why the developers have taken the direction they have with the game - when looking at the competition available regarding card games (pretty stiff competition, too). I don't mind the missing row, either (and think having different 'triggers' occur, depending on what row the card is placed on, is a good thing).

However, next time (if there is a next time) they produce a game like Thronebreaker, they really should try and utilise the current game mechanics and cards as much as possible. Having played over 20 hours on Thronebreaker, I'm still trying to put aside certain expectations of card gameplay from that game when trying to play the supposed 'multiplayer' feature...

I'd still like to see DLC of some sort for Thronebreaker.

Cheers.

I would like to ask a question:

Are there plans for some sort of compensation or refund for the Leader ability decoupling change?

Ontop of those who had crafted their leaders for scrap, people also forget the newbies.

I am currently a less than a week old player, and the original "rule of thumb" for newbie players was to rush the leader unlocks ASAP. As it stands I spent approximately 61 RP out of about 80-90 at the time to get those leaders right before the announcement was made. A day later they were now officially "useless" skins. Had I started a day or two later, my reward book progression would have drastically changed.

From my rough estimation 61 RP translates to at around 30+ kegs. This is not very impactful for the older players, but as a newbie it is a significantly large amount of cards, almost double what I had earned at the time. There will be a large power/collection gap between the pre/post change newbies.

Same Problem here 5 days into the game spent all my points going to unlock a 10 pts Leader and next thing you know all of them were free :( damn this luck.. Anyway is there any chance you compensate us guys?

Sapper, one of the new neutral bronzes, is bugging the heck out of me with its bandit tag. It doesn't match the flavour of the artwork which shows soldiers preparing bombs/charges in a trench. Also, sapper is pretty much a military term for a combat engineer (many armies use Sapper as the equivilent rank for Private fo soldiers within their combat engineer corps). It's a small, petty thing, but I do think Sapper should be Human, Soldier.

Top Bottom