GWENT: Ask a Dev Discussion Thread

+
@4RM3D
Thanks, that helped a lot. Really happy to know they're making efforts to make the friend matches possible on all platforms, can't wait for that.

TerribleTuna;n9728041 said:
I'm a little confused about the wording for the character portraits for this season's ranked rewards: Do I need to stay at rank 10 to obtain the Ciri reward/rank 20 for the Iorveth reward? Or can I continue climbing and still receive both of them should I be at, say, 21?

You can continue climbing the ranks. If you do happen to reach rank 21, you'll (still) get both portraits.

Quinaz;n9694391 said:
Will Gwent be coming to Steam in the near future? I have some Steam wallet funds that I would love to spend on DLC's like the Starter Pack and Thronebreaker. If so, do you have any idea when this will be happening and whether or not account progress will be shared between my GOG and Steam versions of the game? Tnx in advance!

I'm wondering this too and haven't been able to find a definitive answer anywhere (other than an answer of yes like a year and a half ago, but no updates since).

Jigzter I've edited your post in the "Ask a dev" thread because the first point has already been answered and the last point isn't aimed towards the devs.

So apparently Dijkstra can die upon playing his first card (e.g. Crows eye) which then results in there being no second card played. Was this intended or is it an oversight? I have seen cards stay on the board with 0 (zero) power while a (damage-dealing) chain ability (e.g. ballista surrounded by crewmen) resolves. Why not the same with Dijkstra?

It was an intended mechanic, in the same way that when you play Triss without any enemy units on the board, you'll have to hit your own units. That's the inherent risk of playing such cards. You could always make a suggestion to make these damaging effects optional. The "zero power units" are there because they are resolved at the end of the current action. For example, when playing Unseen Elder and you consume a Nekker, it doesn't immediately spawn another Nekker. Instead, the Nekker remains at zero strength until you have consumed three targets, to prevent creating an insane Unseen Elder.

Dijkstra is seen as two separate actions. Another card that follows this principle is Emhyr, which I joked about in this thread.

A question for the forum mods:
Sorry, I'm still fairly new to the forums and I can't get how to use the thread search function effectively. I was trying to search for all of Dominika's (or any other Dev's) answers/posts on this thread and couldn't get it. Any helpful tips, so that we can easily see previously asked and answered questions on this thread? Thanks.

I've made a post about that elsewhere:

Forum Search Advice

When you click on the magnifying glass WITHOUT entering any search parameters, you will be taken to the advanced search page. There you can better specify what you are looking for, including showing posts by a single user.

Alternatively, you can use Google's domain search by entering "site:forums.cdprojektred.com/forum/en/gwent/" behind each search in Google. The advantage of using Google, is the "fuzzy" search option, e.g. can't = cannot = can not.

4RM3D;n9851671 said:
It was an intended mechanic, in the same way that when you play Triss without any enemy units on the board, you'll have to hit your own units. That's the inherent risk of playing such cards. You could always make a suggestion to make these damaging effects optional. The "zero power units" are there because they are resolved at the end of the current action. For example, when playing Unseen Elder and you consume a Nekker, it doesn't immediately spawn another Nekker. Instead, the Nekker remains at zero strength until you have consumed three targets, to prevent creating an insane Unseen Elder.
Dijkstra is seen as two separate actions. Another card that follows this principle is Emhyr, which I joked about in this thread.

Hiya, I already agreed to this^ and accepted it as truth (even gave a RedPoint). But earlier today, I encountered an Ithlinne that spawned Stammelfords Tremors, and despite the fact that only 1 unit was killed, two Golemns spawned. It seemed as if the game detected that single unit getting killed twice, and despite being two separate spells the play was treated as 1 entire chain (unlike Djikstra). I guess maybe that's why the game is still in beta, not everything is consistent.
(PS Ithlinne was boosted by 1 so she didn't die.)

Jigzter

That sounds like a bug. I've tried to reproduce it, but alas I cannot. If you remember more about the circumstances of the board, then maybe I could conjure another explanation. Alternatively, you could contact support and ask them to look into things, if you still remember the player's name.

4RM3D;n9859981 said:
If you remember more about the circumstances of the board, then maybe I could conjure another explanation. Alternatively, you could contact support and ask them to look into things, if you still remember the player's name.

Sorry I wasn't able to get back to you on this immediately. It was actually on an AI practice match, I was experimenting on a new deck. It was the AI's own unit, an Elven Mercenary, that got hit with Stammelford's Tremors, got stuck on the board with 0 power, guardian spawned, another 1 damage hits all units but no new zero values, but another guardian spawns, then the Elven mercenary is removed from the board and the turn ends. Haven't seen it played with other people since they usually use Ithlenne for Quen.
Sure, I did report another bug to support before. The one where you have a missing card in hand, one which occupies a slot but can't be played or even viewed. So yeah, I might do that if I find any more inconsistencies or bug-like behavior.

cajsoccer;n9897551 said:
Why is the Temerian Infantryman a ranged unit?

Temerian Infantryman is an agile unit, which is not the same thing. Most units have become agile now. CDPR has announced that they are planning something with the whole agile unit concept. We'll have to wait and see how that turns out.

SynVolka;n9898731 said:
Could you please explain why the Priestess of Freya is sometimes banished at the end of the round?

Priestesses of Freya have the Doomed tag, which means they get Banished when they enter the graveyard - unless they're Discarded.
End of round is treated in the same way as the card getting killed/destroyed, hence the Banishment.

SynVolka;n9898731 said:
Could you please explain why the Priestess of Freya is sometimes banished at the end of the round?
What do you mean "sometimes"? PoF should always be banished because of the Doomed tag. That being said, they can be sent to graveyard through discarding.

Imo the question about Temerians and next one about Freya since they are answered here and also those are not imo "ask a dev questions per se" should be deleted by moderators in main thread.

floopman;n9927921 said:
I'm a bit confused by this description from the Gwent website: "Representing the combined forces of Temeria, Redania and Kaedwen, the Northern Realms are proud kingdoms, united by their desire for independence. With near unmatched numbers and some of the deadliest engines of war, they are truly a force to be reckoned with."
I always thought that Nilfgaard was at least twice as large as the entire North combined in terms of size, population, army size, etc. Is this purely in reference to the number of cards able to be deployed by the faction in terms of Gwent game mechanics or is the North actually bigger cumulatively in lore too?

Hi and welcome.

As with a lot of games based on other media, the lore doesn't always reflect the gameplay. Especially with Gwent, it's difficult to remain faithful to the (complex and extensive) lore. Just one simple example, how can Geralt be played in a Monsters deck? There are countless of other inconsistencies, but we just have to accept it for the sake of creating a balanced game. If you want to join the discussion, you can do so in the following thread: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...lore-inconsistencies-with-cards-and-mechanics

PS. I've replied to your post in the discussions thread because the main thread is only for Q and A.

Why i keep falling against ennemy that got 15 lvl more than me and was more than rank 20 while i'm only lvl 20 and didnt passed rank 9 last season ?
Why i can't enjoy playing this game ?
Why when you are new on a card game the "pay for convenient" aspect is just repulsing ?

Last edited:
4RM3D;n9928491 said:
Hi and welcome.

As with a lot of games based on other media, the lore doesn't always reflect the gameplay. Especially with Gwent, it's difficult to remain faithful to the (complex and extensive) lore. Just one simple example, how can Geralt be played in a Monsters deck? There are countless of other inconsistencies, but we just have to accept it for the sake of creating a balanced game. If you want to join the discussion, you can do so in the following thread: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...-and-mechanics

PS. I've replied to your post in the discussions thread because the main thread is only for Q and A.

I understand that sometimes the lore of the universe will sometimes be exaggerated or changed to fit the mechanics of the card game, but this isn't always the case. For example, Nilfgaard's deck relies heavily on diplomacy, spies, and assassins, which is exactly how they are in universe. The scoia'tael likewise are characterized as using unconventional guerilla tactics, ambushes, and relying on agility rather than brute force, as they do in lore. My question was whether or not the description was in fact such an inconsistency (in the sense that the description refers to the number of cards able to be deployed relative to other decks) sort of like how the skellige deck emphasizes resurrection (counter to the lore) or whether this is actually accurate with respect to lore.

Top Bottom