GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've written a long post (https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ailable/page11) but failed to get any feedback so i'll ask some questions here.

- Why so few movement cards ? It gives more interactions (the duel mechanics is bad IMHO) and the combinations of Stat-Damage (4-body deals 9, 6-body deals 7 etc...) really falls short of sustaining a good and deep gameplay.

- Why spend time and energy on nerfing some cards like prize-winning cow ? Or changing the shieldmaidens mechanics to make it a clone of a NR or ST card ? Those cards, among others, gave depth to deck creation, without being OP so why nerf them ? It reduces the depth of deckbuilding.

- Why such a high turnover of archetypes ? Ex: why push for a discard (SK) or movement (ST) deck to then completely abandon them only few months later ?

- What the hell happened to the sound design ? IMHO, it's terrible right now and it seriously hurts the game. Since midwinter patch, when we do damage to a unit , it sounds like we're b*tch slapping the guy, wtf ?! :D

- What are your plans for the pro ladder ? I thought it was "the place to be", the "legend" status of the game but right now it is FAR from that. Because it's hard to commit on both ladders, very few people want to paticipate in the pro ladder. Most players chose ranked games because of the rewards (titles etc.) available, which doesn't make muche sense to me, since the pro ladder should be "superior". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the idea: let's make the pros fight on the pro ladder and let the "peasants" have their titles on ranked (as you can see, I'm not a fan! :D )

Cheers guys.

PS: I just realized I might have posted (again) in the wrong forum. Please mod move it where it should be... Thanks.

Last edited:
1. Will we ever be able to buy avatars or other trinkets? I'd happily spend some money on that.

2. Will faction challenge borders rotate and be unlockable again in future challenges? Btw I think it's better if both factions get their border + the winner gets some addittional dust or whatever.

Heys guys , i appreciate your work , especially at design. Your cards are the most interesting from any ccg i played. Regarding this, will you redo the cards at the old size,? Now they are square and the art is not very vizible on board.

johannviktor;n10253702 said:
When a unit's strength is changed (by damaging, boosting, strengthen, weaken), I'm missing the possibility to see what is their base strength. Even the card's preview is showing the changed value. Since more and more cards are coming, I don't want to learn all the values by heart. On some Twitch videos I saw a small patch showing that base value. That would be helpful. Or did I miss the possibility in-game?

This is a good idea and we'd like to add such information to the detailed card view in the future. At the moment we do not plan to change it in the near future. Thank you for the feedback!

TheGodlyOne;n10258012 said:
Hello Dev's! Just wanted to ask if there is any way during the Card Keg openings for a right click option to see the effects cards have. The same thing you can do when you go to your collection and right click a card. Thanks!

When you're opening a keg you can read each card's ability - you will find them written below the cards.

TV_JayArr;n10266372 said:
Will you add small notes to the upcoming patches?
Transparency is good and a lot of misunderstandings/disapproval could be avoided like that. On top of that I and a lot of other players I suppose, are interested in the reasoning behind changes - something like the Morenn change makes no sense to me, or the name change of several cards. Generally a simple 'we didn't like that, therefore we changed it like this', 'this is simply an under-/overstatted card, thus we add/remove 2 points to/from it.' would be pleasing.
I don't think the developer streams cover that, it would also be an option to dig deeper into details in those streams rather than just showing the cards and reading the card description.

Yes, we're planning to add such notes starting with one of the upcoming patches. We'd like our players to be able to understand better why we decided to make specific changes to the game.

BornBoring;n10270552 said:
Since the midwinter update every unit in the game is agile. Do you think this is the best possible solution and it will stay in the game for sure or are there still chances that you might rework your row concept before the end of closed beta?

(Because this not resprentative survey shows that players don't think the current concept is the best one:https://forums.cdprojektred.com/for...4932-prefered-row-system-a-missed-opportunity)

We like the idea of cards being agile especially with the current low limitations, but are still open to discussion on the matter :)

Pichachi;n10287912 said:
communication panel.I have a friend and ,for example, i want to see what he/she is doing.But i only can see if he/she is *in main menu* or *playing GWENT*. Can u add something like *playing with a friend*, * playing ranked*,* playing casual game*,*opening barrels*,*in his/her card collection*,*in adventure*.If u will do all of this i'll be very happy and not only I.

This is a cool idea. We'd like to have such feature in the game, but we're not planning it in the nearest future.

BangYoAzz;n10289782 said:
Hello. every now and then somehow i win a match and the higher lvl or more experienced players apparently not taking defeat gracefully so they forfeit just before the game ends so i dont get my reward and the daily quest. is this going to be fixed somehow cause its not fair... thanks

Yes, we're looking into it right now. The forfeit matches will count towards the quests.

-Tao-;n10295622 said:
Hi guys,

apparently I can't create a new topic because I have no posted 10 times.

I love Gwent game and the way you are improving it.

Right now the Milling system let you mill extra cards when you have more than 3 cards, however the system don't take in account the premium type.

What I think is going to improve the user experience is to let the user activate/deactivate taking in account the premium cards for milling.

Hope some dev can read this and hope you take this seriously.

Cheers!

We're aware of the problem and we'd like to improve the milling system sometime in the future.

Karfuss;n10295662 said:
Essentially this, does CDPR know what direction they're taking with regards to Gwent? And can we get some insight on this? Originally it began as a highly tactical, mistakes are costly, game that with Midwinter has become more, let people throw out everything and whoever has the highest value wins. This is particularly true when saving Scorch for Round 3, and thus has no bearing on Round 1 or 2.

Will we be seeing a backtrack on that before release, which I'm sure many people want, or is this the direction CDPR are now taking for the inevitable mobile port?

--

Furthermore, is Gwent going to follow in the footsteps of other online TCGs where with every passing update, cards continually become outdated and trumped by new, higher value and more efficient cards? If so, will we be seeing catch-up mechanics for new players or returning players? And if not, will the devs continually revisit existing deck archetypes and mechanics to keep a broad spectrum viable?

We'll be releasing new cards. At the moment we're planning to release them in bigger card updates rather than adding small packs more often. At the same time we'll do our best to avoid making the old cards obsolete - we're aiming to have the new cards add more gameplay possibilities without making the old decks outdated.

OG.laloquaint;n10295982 said:
My girlfriend recently has been wanting to buy a Nintendo Switch and she asked me if Gwent is coming to that console. I said I didn't know, that I would ask on the forums....so...is Gwent: The Witcher Card Game coming to the Switch? 0:

At the moment we're focusing on PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions of the game.

Flying_Donkey;n10306052 said:
- What are your plans for the pro ladder ? I thought it was "the place to be", the "legend" status of the game but right now it is FAR from that. Because it's hard to commit on both ladders, very few people want to paticipate in the pro ladder. Most players chose ranked games because of the rewards (titles etc.) available, which doesn't make muche sense to me, since the pro ladder should be "superior". Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the idea: let's make the pros fight on the pro ladder and let the "peasants" have their titles on ranked (as you can see, I'm not a fan! :D )

The Pro Ladder is intended mostly for players who are aiming to participate in official GWENT Masters. The ranked play is intended for everybody else. That's why the rewards are like they are. If player is interested in participating in the GWENT Masters - the Pro Ladder is the way to go. If player wants to get the in-gmae trinkets - then Ranked play should be chosen.

TheNotoriousThree;n10308362 said:
1. Will we ever be able to buy avatars or other trinkets? I'd happily spend some money on that.

2. Will faction challenge borders rotate and be unlockable again in future challenges? Btw I think it's better if both factions get their border + the winner gets some addittional dust or whatever.

Like I said in a reply to one of the questions in my previous posts - we'd like the existing avatars to rotate and be unlockable again in the future rewards.

alexandr22;n10308382 said:
Heys guys , i appreciate your work , especially at design. Your cards are the most interesting from any ccg i played. Regarding this, will you redo the cards at the old size,? Now they are square and the art is not very vizible on board.

Thank you for the feedback! We're looking into the UI and we'll try to improve it.

Given that we have a shorter season, are there any plans to either lower the losing penalty or increase the winning reward for ranked play? I noticed on average I am winning around 17-19 points but losing 20+ (this makes ranking up in short span of time quite the grind.)

Also, are there any plans to change ranked play to fix the lack of deck diversity? There have been great suggestions regarding increasing winning rewards or decreasing losing rewards for switching factions after each match, my question is whether you plan to implement this or anything like it?

Finally, I have noticed that from time to time I get paired with players that have a lower rank than me (regardless of how close I am to the next rank up. In this situation these games always award less points (per victory) and cost more points (per defeat.) Are you working on/plan to work on the match making process to either eliminate such unfair matchups, or to give the player more choices in the opponent they are looking for (i.e request or exclude a faction from search?)

Last edited:
chat is really uncomfortable. i cant see my score, i cant pass the round because of communication panel size!!!. if i need to chat with a friend all time how can i do that?! I always must to open the community panel, press the friend's icon , then press one more button , then press the text field, write what i want and close the panel. Then i need to do all this steps again to write more!!!Some ideas to make chat better?

I have written about this before but get no decent answer. KEGS!

What qualifies a card as " rare " among bronze cards? As far as I can tell you just slapped that label on a bunch of random bronzes (specifically to pad the selection of cards we get for our 5th card in keg selection) in an effort to thwart our goal of getting silvers and golds. I look at some of the cards I get as my 5th card and scratch my head. Like what makes " Reinforced Ballista " a " rare " card? Nothing, in my opinion, since I get one in every other keg. Are you really satisfied with this system?
At least do us the courtesy of making these " rare " cards ACTUALLY better than the common ones.

Hi, I just read again the news regarding from Feb, no more patches till season end. Is that rank or pro? Since they don't line up anymore. Also, does that mean we may get a patch just before end of Jan??! I may save some scrap if there is big changes afoot. Thanks.keep up the good work

Klushluck;n10259612 said:
Why do you guys print so many tutors and units that spawn/create other units? I think it's unhealthy and makes balancing awkward because a unit that is strong by itself that can be created by another 2 point unit is already overboard. Also shouldn't there be a rule of thumb that cards by themselves shouldn't exceed a certain value based on their color (like 10 for Bronze, 15 Silver and 20 Gold). Right now a good Slave Driver can go up to 16 points, the same or even more as some golds. Not to mention Agitators that are consistent 14 value plays, 15 if you count the strengthen. That's basically a Geralt. The color value consistency is literally killing this game for me. What are your thoughts on that?

Hi! we really like the idea of tutors in GWENT, as you can see most of the units, which have the create tag like Elven Scout are low on power (2 power in this case) and we're still thinking about tweaking them. Our team when designing looks at something called a power pool for bronzes, silvers and golds and based on this balances the cards. Most of the cards you mentioned as well as the combos that come with them will be getting tweeks in the upcoming update. Thanks for the feedback!

Hi there! Two questions:
1) Is there any particular reason for the omission of Double Agents? The change made Fringilla Vigo pretty much invisible in the game altogether, not to mention competitive play. I doubt that game benefits from narrowing the card pool.
2) Same goes for the Shilard change. What is the reason for this? Once, he was a somewhat memey gamble finisher. Now, he is only an optional tool in Mill. No outside use whatsoever.

Does the dev team have a solid idea of how to make certain ideas more viable? Particularly:

1. Monsters Blood Moon
2. Monsters Relicts (this seems like something that's being pushed a little now?)
3. NR Cursed
4. ST Movement
5. Monsters Moonlight
6. Skellige Soldiers

Related, is the team planning to make any significant changes to the new leaders, after seeing how little they're played?

On a different note; tons of cards in the Midwinter patch were released without premium art, but with premium versions purchaseable in packs. Was this an error (along with the many others in the patch), or is this going to be a pattern going forward, where you roll out the cards and - hopefully - release the premium art later? And is there a timeline on when the missing premium arts will be turning up?

Cards like warcrier, hawker healer or Clan Heymaey Skald used to have positioning related effects. What there the reasons you decided to go one step back in this regard (balancing, not interesting enough from a gameplay perspective,.... )? Do you consider finding new ways to make such effects easier to implement/more interesting to play with/whatever (depends on what's your answer for question 1 is) for example by making some changes to how the gameboard is organized (e.g. something like this: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ed-positioning) or anything else, which could help making positioning more important again? Also do you think the majority of playes don't care much about this (personal feedback: I do)? (asking the last question, because I don't know what the majority of players think about this; you might know more about this :))

edit: I want to add, that I like the new priority order (melee to siege, left to right), but it doesn't really matter most of the time.

Last edited:
1. I heard you already stated that you will evaluate the changes related to flavour (names, artist credits, visuals, sounds, dimension of cards, etc) in particular; Will you consider to bring back the card-moving feature (right mouse, respectively right trigger), it was a sweet feature and I don't know why you removed it. What is the reason behind it, was it a decision for the sake of performance or did you just don't like it anymore?

2. Will you make Gwent complex and skillrewarding again? Talking about the feeling while playing and the desire of characteristics for factions. I don't want to have 5 factions in the game that effectively do the same with a different card back and are able to play more cards of their opponents faction then the opponent can play of his own. Just two examples of the midwinter patch that seem to lead in another direction:
You crudely removed lots of interesting and unique abilities like Shieldmaidens/pikemen, Warcry - Jutta and An Craite Warrior still damaging themselves on deploy nonetheless - and totally destroyed Morenn. Her ability was one of the greatest in the whole game, because it stood iconographically for a lot of skills gwent used to require, namely hand reading/predicting and predicting/influencing your opponents sequencing as a follow-up - just to mention two of them.

Hey There CDPR!! Just got a question or two at the moment, since in this current meta many decks are unviable to play for example a discard build unless you're kambi, will Discard be getting a buff next season? I miss playing discard very much, I've tried excruciatingly to try get them working this season but my efforts come to no success, And Maybe balance skellige name tags so the bagpipe haymaey dude can actually boost cards of a certain faction in a consistent way of use, My other question was, Any hints on the new faction?? I AM SO HYPED hope to see a troll ololol leader! Hope to hear back soon :)

Any plans on reworking the current MMR system? Reaching rank 20 with the current system is impossible for people who don't have the time to play for hours each day.

Wonderboy8700;n10322942 said:
Given that we have a shorter season, are there any plans to either lower the losing penalty or increase the winning reward for ranked play? I noticed on average I am winning around 17-19 points but losing 20+ (this makes ranking up in short span of time quite the grind.)

Also, are there any plans to change ranked play to fix the lack of deck diversity? There have been great suggestions regarding increasing winning rewards or decreasing losing rewards for switching factions after each match, my question is whether you plan to implement this or anything like it?

Finally, I have noticed that from time to time I get paired with players that have a lower rank than me (regardless of how close I am to the next rank up. In this situation these games always award less points (per victory) and cost more points (per defeat.) Are you working on/plan to work on the match making process to either eliminate such unfair matchups, or to give the player more choices in the opponent they are looking for (i.e request or exclude a faction from search?)

TheNotoriousThree;n10375142 said:
Any plans on reworking the current MMR system? Reaching rank 20 with the current system is impossible for people who don't have the time to play for hours each day.

We can't promise anything at the moment, but we're analysing this at the moment.

KingPegasus;n10330052 said:
Hi, I just read again the news regarding from Feb, no more patches till season end. Is that rank or pro? Since they don't line up anymore. Also, does that mean we may get a patch just before end of Jan??! I may save some scrap if there is big changes afoot. Thanks.keep up the good work

We meant the ranked seasons.

iamthedave;n10339772 said:
tons of cards in the Midwinter patch were released without premium art, but with premium versions purchaseable in packs. Was this an error (along with the many others in the patch), or is this going to be a pattern going forward, where you roll out the cards and - hopefully - release the premium art later? And is there a timeline on when the missing premium arts will be turning up?

We aim to have premium versions of all cards available in the game.

BornBoring;n10346072 said:
Cards like warcrier, hawker healer or Clan Heymaey Skald used to have positioning related effects. What there the reasons you decided to go one step back in this regard (balancing, not interesting enough from a gameplay perspective,.... )? Do you consider finding new ways to make such effects easier to implement/more interesting to play with/whatever (depends on what's your answer for question 1 is) for example by making some changes to how the gameboard is organized (e.g. something like this: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/foru...ed-positioning) or anything else, which could help making positioning more important again? Also do you think the majority of playes don't care much about this (personal feedback: I do)? (asking the last question, because I don't know what the majority of players think about this; you might know more about this :))

edit: I want to add, that I like the new priority order (melee to siege, left to right), but it doesn't really matter most of the time.

There are still cards that have positioning related effects (e.g. Aspirant). In case of the cards you mentioned we wanted them to have more flexibility.

Well, obviously you plan to have the premium card art available, but when? It's been two months without any premiums being released.

I missed the two faction borders from the challenge that is apparently now over. Will there be another chance to get those exact character borders in the future?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom