GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi!

Pawel, my son plays in Gwent on Lenovo G500 laptop. Play comfortably with medium graphics and disabled animated cards. The appearance on the 3D animation field can make the game on this laptop impossible.

1. What are the projections of the requirements for the game?

2. Do they remain the same in order to play comfortably on old cars?

3. Is there any chance that they will remove the 3D leaders on the right side of the screen, because it looks terrible, IMHO?

Hi devs, I like the visual changes you guy teased yesterday. But I have a question.

Now we don't have silver cards, and we have a resource system. The golds don't have immune anymore. The rarity of cards also have been isolated from edge color for a long time. So what's purpose of "gold cards"?
How about simply use the card's edge to show its rarity? Or maybe make the rarity symbol more visible? It's really hard to notice in the new design.

Anyway, thank you guys for the hard works(y)

The card design is not final yet, rarity still plays an important part in the economy of the game :)

Hello Burza, gotta say the homecoming reveal was fantastic. With the new visual, I'm excited for thronebreaker even more.

My question is, with an updated 3d looking logo and 3d looking realistic board, will there be any change in the artstyle of the overworld exploration and cutscenes in thronebreaker or will it be the same toon shaded artistic graphics we saw over a year ago?

Additionally, now that the first homecoming video is done, when can we finally see some thronebreaker in action?

Have a nice day!

You only saw a part of Lyria and the overall tone is bright there for a reason ;)

Hi!

Pawel, my son plays in Gwent on Lenovo G500 laptop. Play comfortably with medium graphics and disabled animated cards. The appearance on the 3D animation field can make the game on this laptop impossible.

1. What are the projections of the requirements for the game?

2. Do they remain the same in order to play comfortably on old cars?

3. Is there any chance that they will remove the 3D leaders on the right side of the screen, because it looks terrible, IMHO?

1. We don't have the system requirements yet, but should be fairly the same
2. Don't know yet
3. Nope

Hi Burza.

I have a question about the Thronebreaker. Considering it's single-player, standalone release and GOG is against DRM, will it be possible to play it offline?

EDIT: After you revealed the Homecoming, I have another question. Will be the new premiums still 3d? Currently, you can turn them around a bit to look from a slightly different angle.

We'll see about the first part, the second part is a yes :)

I'm a new player when I first got into the game I found the initial decks pretty boring, not only that but they seemed to play so much alike because of the similar cards.

1. Are the new starter decks more interesting? Are they different from one another? Do they really play with the strenghts of the factions?
2. Do the starter decks have only one Faction Golden card?
3. Will new players have more silvers/golds to put on the initial decks?
4. Will there ever be a Classic Game Mode?

We're still working on the new starter decks, so can't go into details just yet.
Silvers are out of the game.
No plans for a classic game mode.

I saw on the reddit page that there might be a option to open/play thronebreaker in the Gwent client as well as it's own client, butthe translation was bit unclear on it. So I guess I will ask: With Homecoming, will it be possible to play it in the Gwent client as well as it's own thronebreaker client, for those who want both single and multiplayer? Or will you need one for each game?

You can launch is separately or from the GWENT client.

Hey Burza,

With less tutors, bigger decks and all that, it has come to people's mind that decks will be less reliable. You, on the other hand, have assured us that we will still be able to make reliable decks. Does it mean there will be more instances of drawing during rounds maybe?

More mulligans and 3 cards drawn between each round.

Hey Pavel.
With removing silver cards from the game, how will the character hierarchy work? I mean there are such cards as Geralt, Ciri or Yen, who obviously should stay as golds, but what about such minor characters as Ronvid, Hattori (Pavko???). Will they all automatically transform to gold or will they become bronze cards, which means that we can add 2 copies of them in one deck?

Last edited:
1. Are we getting a premium keg weekend at all before Homecoming? This may have been asked before and if it has I’m hoping your answer was/is that we will.

2. Will you implement a way to custom sort our deck lists in a way other than most recently used? Like alphabetical or better yet a custom ordering that we choose (for example just adding a move mechanic and move the decks up and down on the list)

3. What happens to the mechanics, art assets, card effects, etc. when they get removed from the game? I mean you spend so much time and then just remove them with often no explanation. Are they kept (even if there is no intention to bring them back) or are scrapped entirely? Do you ever consider reworking, improving, or adjusting old effects and mechanics when they’re removed or are they gone forever? I mean, you guys have changed the game so many times and I wonder if you’ll ever decide to reintroduce ideas that didn’t work previously but have been changed to work better. Examples include: Aura, Bond, Brave, Orders, Shield (with and without Queen), Veteran. Will Quen ever see a return if the programming difficulty is resolved? Are Tryptych arts gone forever? Are mechanics being removed in Homecoming gone for good?

4. Will in-game patch notes return? Instead of linking to an internet browser.

5. Will patch notes be more transparent and developers more open about design and balance decisions? For example reasonings on why balance changes are made or why mechanics and effects are removed (instead of being quietly removed from the game with no explanation given).

Thanks for your hard work, have a good day and thank you. Keep it up!:giggle:

1. We'll see
2. Custom sorting won't be a thing
3. We keep the visuals, mechanics we have, but don't plan to go back to them.
4. We'll see
5. That's the plan moving forward

Hi Burza,
I'd like to know if there will be cards that trigger an effect on one of the rows but come down without doing anything extra on the other row? In the unlikely case that the answer is yes could you elaborate?
Also thanks for all the replies and the awesome reveal. Best of luck with HC!

Hi Burza,

How will milling our collections work, now that we know there are no silvers anymore?
Will the ones that become Bronzes give bronze scraps, and the one that become Golds give gold scraps or is there some sort of provision factor in calculating milling value?

Mill values were never determined by whether the card is silver or gold, they were based off rarity: common, rare, epic, legendary.
Silver cards will be treated as epic gold cards and gold cards will be treated as legendary gold cards, so economically the silver change has zero effect.

T
Hey Burza, thank you for the tasty leeks! I think the new visuals are a vast improvement :)

So you mentioned in the video that the number of mulligan charges depend on your leader. Is this the only way of balancing leaders and coin flip or is there something else as well?

This is not the coinflip balance :)

Hey Pawel!
Im not sure how much you want to go into gameplay mechanics as you probably will do another video on that, but with the change to 30 card decks and 2 bronze copies per card I feel like consistency will be much reduced.
You already said that you get more mulligans and 3 draws between rounds but that would still mean that you only draw 16 cards from your deck each game (assuming that there are no draw and tutor effects at all anymore with homecoming -> 10 cards in hand, draw 3 after r1 and draw 3 after r2 = 16 cards out of 30 that you can play with each game)

So you won't see almost 50% of your deck each game which could hurt certain strategies. Any ways to counteract this or are there still draw/tutor effects in the game?

Thanks for your replies!

Hi Pawel, thank you for the leeks! Some small questions

- Now that the leaders live on the board, will the cards for them still be used in the match?
- If not, will there be a difference in the 3D version for premium leaders?
- Will we see leader-specific boards in the future?

Hi Burza!

I love the new HC visuals, they are stunning and very fitting to the theme. However, it was really hard for me to distinguish Bronzes and Golds. Do you think you could make Golds a bit more visually striking in hand and on board?

Do you plan on implementing settings for color-blind or visually impaired people?

I know you already said that avatars etc. will work differently know. The avatars weren't on the board in the demo so how do we emote now ingame?

Thanks so much for all your work! <3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom