GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Burza,
Considering the huge redesign seems to have split the community in half with people either likeing it or hating it because its gone far from the original Gwent game, will this be considered for future plans to posibly have an option for players to play on a clean board that resembles a tavern from the Witcher 3 and represents the true spirit of what people wanted from a standalone Gwent game when the decision was being first made to make Gwent into its own game?

Wish you the best of luck with the new Gwent, even if I am not optimistic at all about its success now.

Hi Burza!

I love the new HC visuals, they are stunning and very fitting to the theme. However, it was really hard for me to distinguish Bronzes and Golds. Do you think you could make Golds a bit more visually striking in hand and on board?

Do you plan on implementing settings for color-blind or visually impaired people?

I know you already said that avatars etc. will work differently know. The avatars weren't on the board in the demo so how do we emote now ingame?

Thanks so much for all your work! <3

Yes, we'll be working on the card boarders. As for color-blind mode we'll see. The Leaders do the emotes and taunt your opponent.

Hello Pawel, greetings from Brazil

I loved the homecoming preview and I'm really looking forward for leeks in the future. But for now, I have 2 questions for you:

1) Will dwarves be an unique archetype or just support cards?
2) Could you tell if temerians will still have some kind of synergy between them?

Thanks a lot for all the hard work you guys put in the game, Love you all <3

Hey, burza!
Appreciate the great work of HC leeks from the gwent team.
I love the graphic, the new frame of cards and the symbols of each faction.
But I have a question for you here.
Would you consider modify (enlarge) the power of bronze and gold units?
As many worried, 5-7 point bronze is so small that it limits the creativity and balance change in the future.
For example, slyzard can be modified from 3 to 2 in earlier patch, which is not a really huge nerf.
However, if the model is 5-7 point, then changing even 1 point is a big big deal.
How does the gwent team think about this?

Hi I have a question.

Will we have an early HC beta? I think that it can help the community get more comfortable and we will be able to give more precise feed back.

Hey. I have 1 question. Burza. how do you think, how ready is HC? 70,80%? Just the opinion of the person who saw the project from the side.

Same thing about TB if u can :)

1. With the introduction to 3D leaders - Can the same leader face each other? If yes, Wouldn't it be weird having 2 3D Foltest leaders for example.

2. Lot of people think that 3D leaders would look better diagonally rather then both on the left. What do you and the team think about that?

3. In the video Stefan Skellen had a bronze border was that just a place holder? is he no longer a gold card?

4. Do all leaders at this current state have 3D models?

5. Are all leaders just going to be standing?

6. Which 3D leader was the hardest to design?

Thank you for your time

Hi Paweł,
First of all thank You all CDPR, you're doing a great job!
Some questions:
1. What happens to the cards at the first mulligan? They land on the cemetery or in the deck?
2. If answer is Yes - What about cards that are not useful in the first round but are intended to be "finishers"? Will it be possible to exchange the card with your hand?
3. How different is what we saw on the Challenger (the video was probably prepared for an open) from what it looks like now?
Bardzo dziękuję za wszystko co robicie i pozdrawiam! :)

Mister Burza, ser, something's been troublin' me as of late. Given that we'll have fewer rows now, will the Scoia'tael still have a movement archetype?

Greetins Burza, HC looks great, hope to see more soonTM. I'd just like to know a few extra details.
1. Will cards like roach, BSC, and foglets (come out of the deck when you do certain criteria) still be a thing in HC?

2. Will leaders still have their cards be playable in matches or are they can't join in the battlefield?

3. You said some Golds have unique deploy animations, will some bronzes do too?

4. Any chance you can tweek the blue and white gems between bronzes? Still kind of gard to tell em apart from a distance.

5. Love the new mulligan, hopefully it'll lessen them returning from redraws, will we still draw the same no. Of cards in rounds but just have more mulligans (2 draws round 2, 1 draw round 3)?

6. I noticed when Imlerith was targeting the ekimmara, woodland spirit was facing where the target was, was he supposed to have animations along witht that?

7. Were any mechanics shelved for HC? (Ex. Resilience) and they are a lot of new ones?

8. Will we see wraiths in HC (or atleast Olgierds brother?)?

9. You said they aint enough Wild hunt cards for an archetype, were some cut?

10. Last 1, will the next video be an actual match or another board/mechanic showcase.

Sorry for the long post. Thank you again for listening to the community and cant wait for HC. :)

1. Some cards will come out of the deck
2. Nope, leaders are always present on the battlefield
3. No
4. The design is not final
5. 3 draws per round
6. He follows the cursor :)
7. Some where shelved, more info coming soon :)
8. No
9. No, the archetype never had enough good cards to build a proper archetype
10. We'll see :)

Thanks for your hard work guys, the video you showed yesterday was spectacular and i can't wait to see more.

1) How "old" is the video we saw yesterday compared to the current build you guys are working on? I've noticed your Gwent open shirt so i suppose that was the video that was going to be showed at Open before the delay?

2) Is there any chance you'll place the leaders diagonally to each other? Imho it would greatly improve the visuals and the feels of two opponents standing against each other (example here: https://imgur.com/vifrqg4)

3) Any chance you can hint how the new leaders work now that they are 3d models and not cards (at least visually)?

4) How many cards are "final" and how many are still WIP? In a percentage.

1. The video was recorded two days before showing it to the public
2. No
3. They move around and do cool taunts and react to what's happening :)
4. Everything is still WIP :)

Hi Burza!

How many epic golds can you currently fit into a 30 card deck? 5 or 6? (This is assuming you don't put in any legendary golds).

There is some randomness, but it's
Hi, what we have seen it's great. I love new board and card abilities tied to row. Just a couple of questions. Different cards have "damage random units" ability. Are those abilities just a placeholder? If not, will this randomness be limited?

There is some randomness, but it's easy to control :)

I'm too anxious for HC's arrival!!! I have some doubts and suggestions, here they go:

1) You have already said that there is no more limit of gold cards in the construction of the deck, only that we can not have more than 2 copies of each card. Is this true for gold as well? Can we have 2 copies of gold if we want?

2) Currently the edge of the card easily reveals which faction the card refers to (the small "cloth" on the left side of the card on the front). Already in the cards revealed in the video, the color that fills the diamond appears to be the only detail that defines which faction the card represents (which I think is too simpleton). Could you tell us if this is a definite detail or if there will be changes?

I apologize for the bad English, I'm Brazilian and I needed help from Uncle Google in the translation hehe.

Thank you for your attention, Master Burza.

Hi Burza,

Thank you and the Gwent Team for another great challenger! The production was top notch as always and let's not forget the super juicy leeks! (Also I hope Tailbot didn't harm the goat)

I hope you don't mind answering 2 questions:

1) Us the Order ability tied to leaders in some way?

2) Could you leek about Woodland Spirit or Unseen Elder's ability? (any leader is fine really :p)

Hello Burza, I really loved the Homecoming reveal and am very hyped for it.
But I have some questions:
1. On the vran card was a new keyword "Thrive" can you tell us what it does?
2. Is Arachas Queen still a consume leader and does consume archetype even exist in HC?
3. What is your and the team's opinion on moving opponents leader diagonally opposite?
4. Theoretically how many archetypes will each faction have?
5. Do leaders have only passive abilities or active...or a mixture of both?
Thank you and thanks to the whole Gwent team for your amazing work! Can't wait to see more. :)

Thrive (WIP)
This ability boosts a unit by 1 whenever a unit stronger than the unit with the Thrive ability is played on the board.
2. To some extent yes
3. Nope
4. Hard to say atm
5. Activated abilities mostly :)

1. Will there be any sort of indicator on leaders to see if they are useable or not? Right now it seems like there isn't one and it might be difficult to distinguish for newer/returning players
  2. Will leaders taunt each other when we emote?
  3. If the players are of different factions, will the board be of your/opponent's faction or will it mix like in current gwent?

1. Yes
2. Yes
3. Mix :)

Hi Burza! Best regards from a fellow cyclist! Long time lurker, first time poster. I just have a couple of questions:

1 - Are you trying to simplify Gwent in Homecoming?

By far the most important question. First, let me tell you the following - I loved almost everything about the video. You surpassed almost every expectation I had... but I saw a hint of something that could be a bit negative.

The cards seem too simple. Almost every single card we saw seems to have been simplified in some manner. Drowner seems downright bad, and only slightly different from the archespore. Imlerith seems like a basic "pinging" engine. Werewolf is a boring 5 points.

Iris seemed amazing, because she showcased what I expected - differing abilities according to the row she's played on. I expected to have seen more cards of that sort in the video.

In Midwinter, you simplified many of the cards' abilities, and you saw how that worked out. Every faction became too similar, archetypes as a whole disappeared, and the game became more bland. I hope you won't take the beloved complexity existing in the game.

2 - Why lower the overall power of the cards?

I understand it will possibly make a lot of the matches more exciting, making every point count, but I don't understand why it was such a severe change. Won't that make balancing harder on your end?

3 - How will NR stand out?

Let me see if I understood. From what you said, the following factions will focus on these styles of gameplay:
  • Skellige - Graveyard interaction
  • Nilfgaard - Control/"Charming"
  • Scoia'tel - Control/Traps
  • Monsters - Damage/Consume
  • Northern Realms - ....?
Wanna give us a small leek? :p

4 - When will you show more videos?

I already know the answer is "Soon(TM)", but I just wanted to ask. I'm so fu***** hyped for this man. I always loved this game and want to see it become the gem it can. And it seems like you're in the right direction :)

Best of luck for the team! Keep doing an amazing job!

If the leaders do the emoting and taunting what will be the role of avatars, just cosmetic or will the leader emotes depend on the avatar we choose?

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc
Hi Pawel!

Will leaders perhaps work in a way that they can be used when a certain threshold is met? For instance, if you activate the deathwish ability on 10 units, you get to use your Leshen leader ability, or some passive ability is activated..

HC looks amazing, looking forward to seeing more!

Regards! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom