GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would like to ask game designer, if he can explain decisions behind RNG mechanics (on cards) in the game. We have seen major turn towards RNG at mid-winter update and homecoming didnt reverse this trend. So my questions are mainly:
  • What is the reason behind introducing (unnecessary) RNG (cards) into the game (like reveal, Shupe, create - mainly if its from wide pool, Gascon…)?
  • If the reasons are mainly viewer "fun" and casual audience or arena, isnt it too big of a sacrifice for the whole game?
  • What is your guideline when considering if RNG effect is still "healthy" RNG or if its too much?
  • What is your approach on this topic for the future? Is there a chance to revert to before mid-winter level of RNG?

I feel like you are trying to compete with other games with RNG to gather more people into the game instead of going your own route. But I think in the long term it would be better to play into your own strength as a skill game. Also other games have card texts that essentially "break" the rules to make those "fun" effects, something that is not so easily possible in Gwent.
I know you guys are busy, but I would really appreciate a bit more in-depth analysis from responsible person (if you can catch up with someone in the office, it would be great). I asked similar question before, but it was on stream where there is no time for deeper answers (I get answer that "RNG is not that bad"). So I would like to take this opportunity to know more about your reasoning (now and in the future).

Thank you very much

When I was talking with the design team they simply said that they don't mind RNG if it's not to dominant in the game, we only have a couple cards which are RNG heavy which is fine. After Mindwinter RNG was crazier and we've toned down from that point on.

Hi,

I would like to know something about roadmap for gwent or similar thing like letter announcing project homecoming. Do you plan to share with it for 2019 or what can we expect next ingame? I mean in longterm development, not exact date. I know, there was mentioned you don't want to share too much with things that aren't ready or didn't started yet, but this form of communication would be nice.

I'm working on this, hope to have sth to show in December :)

Hi,
after HC launched burza said something about Redania/new content coming to gwent very soon. I'm not gonna lie - current card pool is limited and feels kinda bad. Can we get at least some timeframe when we can expect some content drop? this month? Before xmas? 2019?

Cheers

I hope to share a roadmap soon with you :)

After playing around 100 hours this new stuff I'm quite satisfied with the game, but I have some suggestions collected:
  • After the coin toss sometimes the winning leader's war cry is distorted. Please fix.
  • Cards should be sorted on player's hand.
  • A 'GwentUp' function would be very helpful.
  • The duration of effects like weather or the ticking of traps should be shown.
  • The animations of cards going to the graveyard after ending a round are much too slow. Should be accelerated.
  • There should be a possibility to discard a card.
Fair comments of some cards (maybe subjective):
  • The ability of a cow cadaver thrown by rot tosser should not be blocked by an artifact.
  • An immune Ge'els feels just OP.
  • Xavier Lemmens feels same since he can destroy a whole (graveyard) strategy.
  • More than one Phoenix in Arena feels just OP (maybe exclude him from Arena).
  • Witcher trio is just boring since everybody playing it.
  • Same feels the uniform openings with Lambert, Division Magne etc.

Will it be possible to view the composition of the opponent’s starting deck during /before the match?

The resource system allows you to play several completely different finishers within the same archetype. For example, in one deck it can be Regis, in the other lies Igni, in the third Kambi, or Sigil. From each card you have to play in their own way. If earlier we simply played it off automatically from scorch and igni, then now it is impossible to win back from everything.

We don't plan to add such a feature.

After playing around 100 hours this new stuff I'm quite satisfied with the game, but I have some suggestions collected:
  • After the coin toss sometimes the winning leader's war cry is distorted. Please fix.
  • Cards should be sorted on player's hand.
  • A 'GwentUp' function would be very helpful.
  • The duration of effects like weather or the ticking of traps should be shown.
  • The animations of cards going to the graveyard after ending a round are much too slow. Should be accelerated.
  • There should be a possibility to discard a card.
Fair comments of some cards (maybe subjective):
  • The ability of a cow cadaver thrown by rot tosser should not be blocked by an artifact.
  • An immune Ge'els feels just OP.
  • Xavier Lemmens feels same since he can destroy a whole (graveyard) strategy.
  • More than one Phoenix in Arena feels just OP (maybe exclude him from Arena).
  • Witcher trio is just boring since everybody playing it.
  • Same feels the uniform openings with Lambert, Division Magne etc.

Thanks for passing on your feedback! :)

Hi Paweł!

I know that the December patch is supouse to adress bugs and maybe bring some balance changes, but are you planning any gameplay improvemets as well?

One of the biggest issues that most players seem to have is the slow tempo of the gameplay, becouse of clunky/slow Orders and leader abilities, lack of possiility to "drag and drop" cards, no automatic turn end after playing a card when there are no other possible actions(orders/leader abilities). There are also other things that could use improvement, like cards still not having enough "weight" when played on board(feels like leaves falling on the ground), lack of possibility to turn off/adjust board ambient/background sounds(they are very loud and super annoying).

Those fairly small changes could go a long way, improving gameplay flow and enjoyment a lot. Are you planning to adress any of those things in December patch(or at later time at least)?

Hello, Pawel!

Is it intended that end of the turn abilities can trigger on round end (when both players have passed)? For example, Ciri: Dash can draw you a card when both players have passed.
Have a rather simple questions with a little bit long description so, please, bear with me.
1. Suppose we have the following situation: Playing 3rd round, Player 1 (P1) plays his last card, then Player 2 (P2) plays his last card. The following is the Old Gwent event sequence:
  1. P1 plays a card (PC)
  2. P1 Turn End (TE)
  3. P2 Turn Start (TS)
  4. P2 PC
  5. P2 TE
  6. P1 TS
  7. P1 TE
  8. P1 Pass
  9. P2 TS
  10. P2 Pass
And with the new Gwent we have the following:
  1. P1 PC
  2. P1 Pass
  3. P1 TE
  4. P2 TS
  5. P2 PC
  6. P2 TE
  7. P2 Pass
The sequence became much smaller and that's ok, I suppose. So you (devs) merged the TE with Pass making the reverse of their happening (TE -> Pass in Old, and Pass -> TE in New) w/o allowing a user to intervene inbetween. And besides the fact that you didn't announce it in any way I have no problem with it. But it turns out that the game has problem with it. Take Ciri: Dash which draws a card after 4 turns on turn end and we have a situation when it would draw a card after the pass. And based on the round number, that may give you a card to play further in next rounds, or be a card you can't play because the game is over!

That's rather unintuitive to say the least. I suppose the game should not do such things to the player. In fact, such things were not possible in the Old but only allowed in the New. So the question: do you consider the current behavior with Ciri: Dash consistent with the rules you have in mind? Or maybe it is better to clarify the rules and make such behavior impossible?

Is it intended that you can use cards to draw other cards (e.g. Ciri: Dash, Stregobor) when the opponent has passed? The Truce mechanic in Old Gwent would have prevented that.
And the question number 2. We had the Truce behavior in Old Gwent which disallowed a few effects to work after at least one opponent has passed. All the cards which would give you a card were not allowed to work after the opponent's pass. Now Truce is gone and we have cards which draws cards after the opponent's pass. Is it intended or is it a bug? Shouldn't any drawing being banned after the opponent's pass? I mean drawing which requires both opponents to draw, not meaning Ciri: Dash should not case a drawing after the opponent's pass.

Last edited:
1) Are you going to add card tracker into the game in the future? If not what do you think about 'future trackers' for Gwent Homecoming made by community? Do you know if someone is working on that? (probably CDPR had to share some database to make it happen)

2) It would be nice to see what cards are banished e.g. something like exiled cards in MTGA and it would be nice to have better match log, something more than just 'this card was played in this turn'.

Guest 3945410

1) Can we expect the 'Strengthen' and 'Weaken' card effects to be reintroduced next year?
2) Will Armor be limited to one faction archetype, or will it also be used to balance units within all factions?

Thanks for your time Burza, I remain very happy with Homecoming so far. (y)

Last edited by a moderator:

Guest 4320203

Coin flip still breaks games and the mulligan's bug is still here. When? (to "soon" or not to "soon")

hi ,burza, nice to meet you , my friends want me to ask you will we have any chance to play old gwent mode ? lots of my friends said sometimes they missed the old gwent deck likes spy nilf and 40north deck and the wonderful combo systerm(before dec 1 2017)

we have a diea about maybe you can set a button in game mainmanu to change the gwent game mode (core mode/ classic mode)and we can play the new gwent in core mode (and only core mode has ladder mode and future new cards) or we can fight a old gwent match with friends in classic mode to use the old system with card points and abilities

thanks!

Hi I'm Korean Gwent player and I wrote this english question with help of google translator.
I played the Throne Breaker and there was a shield for each unit. But it was not in Gwent. Why did you remove the shield? I liked this concept very much. Do you plan to add the shield again?

Hi Pawel!
Quick question: What happens to your fMMR and Ranked Score at the end of a competitive season? Does it reset, drop by a percentage or something else?

Hello Pavel :)

Imagine You are console player with a lot of kegs.
Will You open them as soon as possible, or maybe You'll wait for a special moment?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom