GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Cardzilla;n9594881 said:
one of the most annoying things to do is test certain cards in certain circumstances.

will you consider a real practice mode where the player can control both sides of the board and be able to select any cards usable when doing so? that way can practice better. also, can maybe allow this possible mode to use any cards, including un-owned ones so as to do a try-before-you buy kind of thing on possible cards for crafting.

That's a really cool idea, but we're not planning to add such mode at the moment.

GenLiu;n9595021 said:
Hi dear developers, first of all, I love you, thx for your job on every game you make really, from the Witcher series to Gwent, this is always top quality game. Thx a lot for that.

Now my question is that, the pro ladder system has a system that "forces" players to play different decks and in fact, I found it really cool and refreshing as a concept because it gives us more variety in the match up encountered and here is my question. Do you plan into globalizing this "rule" to the regular ranked mode (maybe by giving special rewards for anyone playing different decks or something like that)?

We do not have such plans at the moment.

Pickle_Riiiiick;n9622481 said:
Do you plan to add more Gwent boards to the game? As with the Menu, the board is not immersive at all and does not invoke the feel of playing in this world, like the HS boards do for them. I feel as though there are so many things you could do with them! For example The Ale Festival could have had its own board to fit the theme. Anyway that was longer than intended lol but keep up the great work! <3

Thank you for your feedback. We'll be improving all aspects of the game. We're considering adding more boards in the future.

Frontovika;n9623051 said:
Are servers region specific? I'm wondering why I'm seeing players from Asia on the US server, it's causing considerable server lag.

We're looking into it. Our Tech Support is collecting data at the moment - you can help them out by sending a ticket through the form available here: https://www.playgwent.com/en/contact-support

Chickencababs;n9634571 said:
I was wondering if you guys have the skellige revive deck under observation. I'm talking about the olgierd, morkvarg, cerys combo in particular. Am I not seeing the counter that wouldn't have me throwing in 3 lock cards, which kinda nerfs decks vs other decks. If you guys have a cost effective counter I'm not seeing then it would be awesome to hear it! So far I'm trying to not let it get to round 3, but depending on coin flip this sometimes leaves you down a card.

We're constantly monitoring how all decks perform. There are multiple ways to counter Skellige deck based on reviving. You can for example try building a deck that will affect your opponent's graveyard.

johannviktor;n9638371 said:
Is it just me, or is the last match win to reach the next level extra hard? I'm regularly losing games when there are only some XP left to reach the next level. So it's an endless fight against the award of points. Beside of that with increasing regularity I have to play against opponents who are 20-30 levels higher with perceived all of the most powerful cards.

Am I too skilful in the meantime (I'm currently 28/17, and have maybe 2/3 of the 'good' cards acquired) or has the game balancing problems?

The amount of experience needed for the next level doesn't affect matchmaking.

Vattier;n9640451 said:
We're looking into it. Our Tech Support is collecting data at the moment - you can help them out by sending a ticket through the form available here: https://www.playgwent.com/en/contact-support
Cheers, thank you for acknowledging it. I'll send reports as I see them then.

If I may inquire, popular multiplayer intensive games such as Siege, DOTA 2, Hearthstone/Overwatch employs anti-cheating measures such as uPlay's Battleeye,Valve's VAC, and Blizzard's Warden respectively. Unfortunately cheating and disconnection exploits just seems to be a fact of life in the PC realm. Will Gwent receive such counter-measures as well?

Why are Golds now vulnerable.
Its totally ruined the game for me TBH. I wasn't great, wasn't bad, but it makes zero sense as you only have one card (a gold card) to bring them back from the graveyard. It has unbalanced lots of decks - there already where cards to use to demote Golds and make them vulnerable why make them vulnerable from the go?

At the moment I'm thinking of just buy a few barrels as a thank you and leaving the game for good - Shadow of War is about to drop and this change has shattered the game for me, but thank you a thousand for the experience of playing - its the only card game I've ever played and it was enjoyable.

Any way you can have different rules - A 'Domination league' or another rule set - I'm thinking where golds aren't vulnerable?

Last edited:
What is dev's view on the current state of weather??

Do you think it's balanced?
Or are you planning to do some changes to weather in the future??
Maybe..not so distant future??

The question is because it seems to me that weather spamfest continues. You can weather your opponent 5-7 times in one round with monsters, which is disgusting and not counterable. Even with clear sky little buff, it's not even close to enough.
​​​​​​
Maybe new cards which can greatly punish you, if you spam weather on your opponent again and again and again? (Like tripple m.halestorm)

In the single player mission Questionable Loyalty it says, "Morvran Voorhis cultivated both a wide-ranging network of skilled spies working on the empire's behalf... and the special Nauzicaa Brigade officers devoted to dealing with agents foolish enough to betray it."

Why, then, does the Nauzicaa Brigade card have the tag of soldier and not officer?

Frontovika;n9645481 said:
Cheers, thank you for acknowledging it. I'll send reports as I see them then.

If I may inquire, popular multiplayer intensive games such as Siege, DOTA 2, Hearthstone/Overwatch employs anti-cheating measures such as uPlay's Battleeye,Valve's VAC, and Blizzard's Warden respectively. Unfortunately cheating and disconnection exploits just seems to be a fact of life in the PC realm. Will Gwent receive such counter-measures as well?

At the moment we're actively watching for exploits and banning the accounts that are using them. We may consider adding an anti-cheating system in the future.

valLavhant;n9646081 said:
Why are Golds now vulnerable.
Its totally ruined the game for me TBH. I wasn't great, wasn't bad, but it makes zero sense as you only have one card (a gold card) to bring them back from the graveyard. It has unbalanced lots of decks - there already where cards to use to demote Golds and make them vulnerable why make them vulnerable from the go?

At the moment I'm thinking of just buy a few barrels as a thank you and leaving the game for good - Shadow of War is about to drop and this change has shattered the game for me, but thank you a thousand for the experience of playing - its the only card game I've ever played and it was enjoyable.

Any way you can have different rules - A 'Domination league' or another rule set - I'm thinking where golds aren't vulnerable?

We wanted the gold cards to be more interactive and we wanted to make it possible for players to counter the gold cards.

We're not planning to introduce a mode where gold cards wouldn't be vulnerable.

Celestes666;n9652121 said:
What is dev's view on the current state of weather??

Do you think it's balanced?
Or are you planning to do some changes to weather in the future??
Maybe..not so distant future??

The question is because it seems to me that weather spamfest continues. You can weather your opponent 5-7 times in one round with monsters, which is disgusting and not counterable. Even with clear sky little buff, it's not even close to enough.
​​​​​​
Maybe new cards which can greatly punish you, if you spam weather on your opponent again and again and again? (Like tripple m.halestorm)

We're constantly watching the game to make sure it's balanced, including the weather.

Ricardomug;n9652621 said:
In the single player mission Questionable Loyalty it says, "Morvran Voorhis cultivated both a wide-ranging network of skilled spies working on the empire's behalf... and the special Nauzicaa Brigade officers devoted to dealing with agents foolish enough to betray it."

Why, then, does the Nauzicaa Brigade card have the tag of soldier and not officer?

There are officers leading the Nauzicaa Brigade, just like in any other military unit, but that doesn't mean that the Nauzicaa Brigade is made up of officers only. Majority of troops in the Nauzicaa Brigade are soldiers that are not officers.

Are there going to be any Aedirnian soldiers added? There are many Temerian, Kaedweni, and Redanian troops. It seems Aedirn is lacking (they only have Stennis). I feel like they need a few generic soldier units of their own (each of the 7 skellige clans have their own generic soldier units). Aedirn seems to be sidelined pretty hard in the games: they aren't represented at Loc Muinne, Demavend & Stennisaren't even mentioned in the third game, they only have 1 gwent card currently, ect. Thanks
:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Last edited:
Will you plan to add title for example: Collector and Grand Collector for players who collect all cards normal/premium in game?

I know this is super nit-picky but I wanted to point out that the flavor text for the Royal Decree card provides a quote supposedly given by King Foltest of Temeria, but the art image depicts a Redanian messenger flanked by two Redanian soldiers. Is the artwork a placeholder, was this an oversight, or am I simply wrong about the situation? Thanks
:hmm:

Vattier;n9662471 said:
At the moment we're actively watching for exploits and banning the accounts that are using them. We may consider adding an anti-cheating system in the future.

Thank you for that info and your vigilance. I'm inclined to ask a follow-up question as I recently heard that PUBG on STEAM has been banning thousands of cheaters daily.

https://twitter.com/TheBattlEye/stat...34703183659008

Have you observed if Gwent has encountered the same problems? Are cheaters' account or their IP banned permanently?

The fact that Gwent is free to play might not discourage cheaters. who can just as easily make a new GOG account. Thus far, I've only encountered players who abuse the game servers/network by triggering a sync error to abruptly end the game, even though the connection is still fine on my end.

Thanks again for acknowledging this, as I don't mind the state of the metagame, but it's when people are not playing fairly and honestly, which makes me (and other reasonable players) less inclined to play multiplayer. I'd like to see Gwent still thriving for decades after release.

Will Gwent be coming to Steam in the near future? I have some Steam wallet funds that I would love to spend on DLC's like the Starter Pack and Thronebreaker. If so, do you have any idea when this will be happening and whether or not account progress will be shared between my GOG and Steam versions of the game? Tnx in advance!

Last edited:
cajsoccer;n9675041 said:
I know this is super nit-picky but I wanted to point out that the flavor text for the Royal Decree card provides a quote supposedly given by King Foltest of Temeria, but the art image depicts a Redanian messenger flanked by two Redanian soldiers. Is the artwork a placeholder, was this an oversight, or am I simply wrong about the situation? Thanks
:hmm:

The flavour text is an example royal decree, it doesn't necessarily represent the decree visible on the card.

BornBoring;n9692071 said:
When will this season end? At the end of october or later?

As usual, we'll share the information about the end of the season in advance in our News section. Stay tuned!

Tapiir;n9693881 said:
Are the seasonal rewards (borders etc.) based on global or regional positions?

The rewards are based on the global leaderboard. The only exception is for Xbox players who chose not to play against PC players - they have their own leaderboard.

Is there a reason why there are not characters from the first Witcher game in the Gwent cards? There are great ones that are missing like Jacques de Aldersberg, Roderick de Wett, Kalkstein, Azar Javed and the Professor. Thank you for your time!

I'm a little confused about the wording for the character portraits for this season's ranked rewards: Do I need to stay at rank 10 to obtain the Ciri reward/rank 20 for the Iorveth reward? Or can I continue climbing and still receive both of them should I be at, say, 21?

Last edited:
I would like to know more about the initial game design of Gwent. Why is it designed to be 3 lanes instead of 1, 2 or 4?

In another board game called Condottiere, from which Gwent inspired, does not have such concept. What makes Gwent designer to add such element to Gwent?

Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom