GWENT: Ask a Dev

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raunbjorn

Will you add more RNG based cards in the future? Like the "spawn a random card from your deck" ones?

I'm a bit confused by this description from the Gwent website: "Representing the combined forces of Temeria, Redania and Kaedwen, the Northern Realms are proud kingdoms, united by their desire for independence. With near unmatched numbers and some of the deadliest engines of war, they are truly a force to be reckoned with."
I always thought that Nilfgaard was at least twice as large as the entire North combined in terms of size, population, army size, etc. Is this purely in reference to the number of cards able to be deployed by the faction in terms of Gwent game mechanics or is the North actually bigger cumulatively in lore too?

The new spawn mechanic (new revealed cards) is confusing. It mentions nowhere on the card that you get 3 random choices. You already head a spawn keyword which basically means create a copy of a card and play it. Why dont you make this more clear in the description? Or even better create a keyword for this, e.g. Discover (wink wink)?

TV_JayArr;n9878721 said:
Do you aim to rework the level rewards in the near future?
Perhaps to replace the keg and scrap reward levels with rare cosmetical rewards for hitting milestones.

I perfectly understand that you can't distribute even more Meteorite powder and scraps, nonetheless 100 scraps/1 keg feel/s a little odd past level 50 or 60; the Meteorite Powder on the other hand is pretty pleasing.

We're planning to rework the seasonal rewards system to fit the month-long seasons.

johannviktor;n9890541 said:
Greetings! In one of my last matches my opponent played a summoning circle upon Vilgefortz, who was demoted by shackles by me one turn before. My opponent could generate a gold Vilgefortz. Summoning circle's text says 'spawn a base copy of the last bronze or silver unit any player placed on the board'. So that is a misbehaviour, or did I misunderstand or miss something?

It looks like everything worked as it should. Shackles should demote Vilgefortz - which makes him a valid target for the Summoning Circle (it's not a gold card now). Then a base copy of the card is spawned - and a base for your shackled non-gold Vilgefortz is standard gold Vilgefortz.

cajsoccer;n9897551 said:
Why is the Temerian Infantryman a ranged unit?

We changed it and now Temerian Infantryman can be played on any row.

SynVolka;n9898731 said:
Could you please explain why the Priestess of Freya is sometimes banished at the end of the round?

Priestess of Freya is banished at the end of the round because she is Doomed (see the card abilities). We designed her that way in order to avoid chain resurrection.

nathanator179;n9905801 said:
Hi, I'm not 100% sure if this is the right question to ask here, but will gwent be available to Mac? Might be more of a techy question but would still like to know. Thanks

At the moment we're focusing on the PC, PlayStation 4 and Xbox One versions.

Me.Solo;n9911961 said:
In midwinter cards there are no row restrictions for any card. Does it mean row restrictions will be removed completely?
Hydrahead;n9912471 said:
Are you moving away from cards being bound to a specific row and what are your thoughts on RNG? Will there be more RNG coming into the game?

We want all units to be agile, so that they could be played on any row.

Hydrahead;n9926781 said:
Will you add more RNG based cards in the future? Like the "spawn a random card from your deck" ones?

Yes, because they are crucial for the new game mode we have planned ;)

Vaishar;n9915441 said:
Small Question. Will there be a new Keg type for those 100+ expansions or they will drop from the same Keg as the older cards.

We don't have such plans. At the moment we're focusing on increasing the core pool of cards available in GWENT.

alexmanelistu;n9919221 said:
Hi guys, hat down for all you are doing. I am alex and I have a question: do you plan to rework unplayable golds ? (yen con, ciri , succubus etc.)

We're keeping an eye on how cards are performing. All cards that in our opinion are not performing well in will be reworked.

floopman;n9927921 said:
I'm a bit confused by this description from the Gwent website: "Representing the combined forces of Temeria, Redania and Kaedwen, the Northern Realms are proud kingdoms, united by their desire for independence. With near unmatched numbers and some of the deadliest engines of war, they are truly a force to be reckoned with."
I always thought that Nilfgaard was at least twice as large as the entire North combined in terms of size, population, army size, etc. Is this purely in reference to the number of cards able to be deployed by the faction in terms of Gwent game mechanics or is the North actually bigger cumulatively in lore too?

You're right! According to the lore, the Nilfgaardian army is bigger and better equipped than Northern armies combined, but on the other hand the reality of the war pictured in the games allowed the Northern Kingdoms to amass bigger armies than ever before and deploy forces that are comparable with Nilfgaardian might. At the same time we didn't claim that the combined armies of Northern Kingdoms are bigger than the Nilfgaardian one - "With near unmatched numbers [...] they are truly a force to be reckoned with." - we only emphasized that their army is one of the biggest in the world.

SynVolka;n9940371 said:
The new spawn mechanic (new revealed cards) is confusing. It mentions nowhere on the card that you get 3 random choices. You already head a spawn keyword which basically means create a copy of a card and play it. Why dont you make this more clear in the description? Or even better create a keyword for this, e.g. Discover (wink wink)?

Thank you for the feedback! We'll look into it!

Maybe this was already answered in some shape or form, but I wanted to ask a question about mill.
Right now, I think mill is probably the #1 thing that hampers the games full potential growth.
My question is why is mill still supported and not just reworked? I understand that it can be an interesting archetype if done properly, but it's simply not done properly for the following reasons...
1) Mill is completely polarizing. Some decks will simply lose to mill no matter how you play around mill even though they would otherwise be interesting archetypes and provide diversity to the meta. This over time oppresses the meta and makes it more one-sided. Also queing into a game when your deck is good except auto-loses to mill is simply not fun. At the very least every deck should have somewhat of a chance against any other deck.
2) Decks that counter mill are usually pretty annoying to play against too. This could be chalked up to "Well everyone complains about some deck", but decks like 40 Card Foltest, Spies with Cantarella, Consume with Nekker Warriors are also some of the prime decks to counter mill with, and they are also some of the more annoying decks. So even after a Mill meta, the meta usually shifts towards a more annoying meta anyway.
2) Mill games are uninteresting and consistently the same. They just draw and draw and play the same cards everytime.
3) People may disagree, but mill doesn't take any skill from my point of view. There are very clear cards for what you play round 1, 2, and 3. The plays you make are pretty clear depending on your hand if you have enough knowledge of the game, and if not then you probably don't really care about balance anyway because you're more focused on learning the game.
4) Nobody goes against mill and feels good about it. It's not fun to play against at all, and most people don't enjoy playing it either but simply want free wins.
5) There are many decks that people don't enjoy playing against because it's "annoying" but no deck is like mill where it's simply depressing to play against. Like I said, it's simply too polarizing.
6) Mill doesn't feel like it fits into the game. Most decks revolve around thinning, and mill simply counters this. Thinning is the equivalent to efficiency so of course the top decks will be more efficient, and therefore thin more.
7) Only NR and NG have access to cards like Nenekke and Cantarella. Why not give other factions these cards so that there is a balanced way to counter mill without too much sacrifice, therefore allowing for more counter play and less mill seen on the ladder at the very least?

Sorry for the long post, simply wanted to make a detailed post so that it's not just another bitching post. I seriously think mill is simply bad for the game.

Are you going to change the game board and cards sizes in the game? They are to small and with large monitor screens it just does not fit.
It's a pity cos i really like this strategy game, but you need to have the eagle eyes.

oxiarr;n9945651 said:
Maybe this was already answered in some shape or form, but I wanted to ask a question about mill.
Right now, I think mill is probably the #1 thing that hampers the games full potential growth.
My question is why is mill still supported and not just reworked? I understand that it can be an interesting archetype if done properly, but it's simply not done properly for the following reasons...
1) Mill is completely polarizing. Some decks will simply lose to mill no matter how you play around mill even though they would otherwise be interesting archetypes and provide diversity to the meta. This over time oppresses the meta and makes it more one-sided. Also queing into a game when your deck is good except auto-loses to mill is simply not fun. At the very least every deck should have somewhat of a chance against any other deck.
2) Decks that counter mill are usually pretty annoying to play against too. This could be chalked up to "Well everyone complains about some deck", but decks like 40 Card Foltest, Spies with Cantarella, Consume with Nekker Warriors are also some of the prime decks to counter mill with, and they are also some of the more annoying decks. So even after a Mill meta, the meta usually shifts towards a more annoying meta anyway.
2) Mill games are uninteresting and consistently the same. They just draw and draw and play the same cards everytime.
3) People may disagree, but mill doesn't take any skill from my point of view. There are very clear cards for what you play round 1, 2, and 3. The plays you make are pretty clear depending on your hand if you have enough knowledge of the game, and if not then you probably don't really care about balance anyway because you're more focused on learning the game.
4) Nobody goes against mill and feels good about it. It's not fun to play against at all, and most people don't enjoy playing it either but simply want free wins.
5) There are many decks that people don't enjoy playing against because it's "annoying" but no deck is like mill where it's simply depressing to play against. Like I said, it's simply too polarizing.
6) Mill doesn't feel like it fits into the game. Most decks revolve around thinning, and mill simply counters this. Thinning is the equivalent to efficiency so of course the top decks will be more efficient, and therefore thin more.
7) Only NR and NG have access to cards like Nenekke and Cantarella. Why not give other factions these cards so that there is a balanced way to counter mill without too much sacrifice, therefore allowing for more counter play and less mill seen on the ladder at the very least?

Sorry for the long post, simply wanted to make a detailed post so that it's not just another bitching post. I seriously think mill is simply bad for the game.

Mill might soon become a thing of the past, wait for the patch ;)

Thank you so much CDPR for all the awesome work on Gwent! Any chance there would be a future mode to retro-grade the patches? in other words, go back in time and play the various beta versions until today? I think it would be kinda cool to have battle rooms where players had to use the rules from the past - even the original game from Witcher 3. The new cards are amazing and fun to play - on the other hand there are those of us who remember the halcyon days of Reaver Hunters, and stacking harpys for a triss Butterfly swarm. It's still fun to play those old states of the game, by those old rules. Sure the game is much more balanced now, and just as fun as ever - its just fun to remember how we got here. - welchi

I just started an account on Windows10 and my PS4 account obviously does not cross-buy with the XBOX account at this point (thanks for making it twice as hard Sony - sarcastically). That being said, do the CDPR dev team have a way to back-door the card buying at least during the beta? In other words send me a code that unlocks my complete card deck that I paid several hundred dollars on my Sony PS4 account to get?

I mean I paid the Sony store so they got their money. And I assume that you got your money from me buying all that meteorite dust and those hundreds of card-barrels. It seems like there could be a way to give you (CDPR) my PS4 account info, and you give me back a 'cheat code' that I can enter somewhere on the XBOX or MS site that will unlock the cards I own? In theory I dont see how that would violate any 'sharing' or contractual agreements with Sony - you are simply providing a code to me. It's up to me what I do with it right? Plus if it's encrypted, it will only work with my account.

This forum topic says "Ask a Dev" so I'm asking. Can I please have access to my full collection on all platforms?

-welchi

At the start of open beta you changed field medics and you said resurrection was planned to be a SK thing only and you didn't like old field medics' ability because of that. Now you're adding resurrection cards like Paulie Dahlberg or Hattori (strange choices lore wise tbh...) to other factions. Why did you change your mind on this topic and aren't you afraid factions could lose their uniqueness?

Will there be any upcoming development for the PS4 or Xbox One for competitive play in terms of deck counters like GwentUp or GwentTracker, or at least being able to look at your own deck?

Dear developers,

what is the current position on those premium cards NOT spawning their respective animated minions? The list is as follows:

Calaeno Harpy (Harpy Hatchling from an Egg is not animated)
Harald Houndsnout - Skulls are not animated
Germain of the Fox Hollow - Premium card does NOT spawn animated Cows left and right.

Is this intended to remain as is? The Harpy has not been patched in the two latter releases.

Maximo83;n9962131 said:
Hi Guys. Is the Patch, new Cards und the Season Reset come at the same Time in the Winter Update ?

No. During the Winter Update we will introduce the patch and new cards. The season reset will happen later.

Welchistador;n9963831 said:
Thank you so much CDPR for all the awesome work on Gwent! Any chance there would be a future mode to retro-grade the patches? in other words, go back in time and play the various beta versions until today? I think it would be kinda cool to have battle rooms where players had to use the rules from the past - even the original game from Witcher 3. The new cards are amazing and fun to play - on the other hand there are those of us who remember the halcyon days of Reaver Hunters, and stacking harpys for a triss Butterfly swarm. It's still fun to play those old states of the game, by those old rules. Sure the game is much more balanced now, and just as fun as ever - its just fun to remember how we got here. - welchi

We're not planning such mode at the moment.

Welchistador;n9963871 said:
I just started an account on Windows10 and my PS4 account obviously does not cross-buy with the XBOX account at this point (thanks for making it twice as hard Sony - sarcastically). That being said, do the CDPR dev team have a way to back-door the card buying at least during the beta? In other words send me a code that unlocks my complete card deck that I paid several hundred dollars on my Sony PS4 account to get?

I mean I paid the Sony store so they got their money. And I assume that you got your money from me buying all that meteorite dust and those hundreds of card-barrels. It seems like there could be a way to give you (CDPR) my PS4 account info, and you give me back a 'cheat code' that I can enter somewhere on the XBOX or MS site that will unlock the cards I own? In theory I dont see how that would violate any 'sharing' or contractual agreements with Sony - you are simply providing a code to me. It's up to me what I do with it right? Plus if it's encrypted, it will only work with my account.

This forum topic says "Ask a Dev" so I'm asking. Can I please have access to my full collection on all platforms?

-welchi

We're sorry, but it's not possible. For the reasons that do not depend from us it's not possible to synchronize accounts from different platforms.

BornBoring;n9966581 said:
At the start of open beta you changed field medics and you said resurrection was planned to be a SK thing only and you didn't like old field medics' ability because of that. Now you're adding resurrection cards like Paulie Dahlberg or Hattori (strange choices lore wise tbh...) to other factions. Why did you change your mind on this topic and aren't you afraid factions could lose their uniqueness?

We're adding such cards because we're testing how resurrection would work with other factions. At the same time those cards have very limited resurrection abilities compared to Skellige - for example, the cards you mentioned (Paulie Dahlberg and Hattori) cannot resurrect all units.

Elecktra;n9977601 said:
Will there be any upcoming development for the PS4 or Xbox One for competitive play in terms of deck counters like GwentUp or GwentTracker, or at least being able to look at your own deck?

The trackers are not ours and we do not support them. We don't have plans to introduce our own tracker at the moment.

SentryOmega;n9985271 said:
Dear developers,

what is the current position on those premium cards NOT spawning their respective animated minions? The list is as follows:

Calaeno Harpy (Harpy Hatchling from an Egg is not animated)
Harald Houndsnout - Skulls are not animated
Germain of the Fox Hollow - Premium card does NOT spawn animated Cows left and right.

Is this intended to remain as is? The Harpy has not been patched in the two latter releases.

We're still considering adding premium versions of the tokens.

Why can't console players get rewarded for watching streams on Twitch/tuning in during the Gwent Challenger? Will console players ever be able to get rewards for it? Because I do watch Gwent alot.

Raunbjorn

I know this question has been delete before by the mods but I'm trying once again at least (cause I love this game!).

Again I know this is hard to answer but do you have any plans on making "refunds" or if possible make it so that console players get to keep their collection when the next gen consoles arrive? Hopefully Gwent sticks around for a while and it would be nice to have some kind of security when buying kegs. It's not even about the money, I just want to keep my stuff! :)

Cheers

Concerning the artwork for the Reinforcements card, I noticed the flags are blue and white, with matching uniform colors on the soldiers. Are these Temerian or Lyrian troops, or is it a depiction of just generic marching soldiers not from any particular nation?

You said you were gonna remove triplets. Which two varations of the Blue Stripes Commando is gonna be removed? I love the first one with the mask, would be a shame if he was removed. Best one hands down.

In MidWinter Update, some Rares will be turned to Commons. Will we be able to mill them for full Rare value after the patch, or should we mill them now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom