gwent balancing: very very bad

+
gwent balancing: very very bad

i like gwent a lot but the match-system is crap.

have won like 30 cards from merchants and bought atleast 20 and my decks (every one) are still insufficient...

every good player in the game has: Heroes (i have noone) powerful cards (atleast 10 strenght ) and a lot of combo...

i win only low level card (2 to 5 power with no abilities).

now i am trying to beat the fisherman in Oreton (which is the second-named fight after the Red Baron) and i am unable to do anything..i have lost like 10 times...simply every single card in his deck is better then mine EVERY. is annoying and frustrating

Surprisingly, I didn't lose an encounter more than once after 36 hours of gameplay, and many of them spent on gwent.
My friend, I think the problem doesn't come from gwent balancing ;)

Play some more. I've got too many hero cards right now, once I even got a draw with only hero cards (and I lost by the way, enemy had 3 commander's horns and against Monsters he soon gets around 100 strength points ...)

Also do the Gwent quests (playing Innkeeps, Big City Players, Old Pals...). That's how you get hero cards.

It doesn't matter if his cards have higher numbers on if you just knock them down to 1 attack with weather effects. Also, a large part of the game is getting the opponent to waste a lot of cards to win one round so you then have an easier time winning the next two rounds. You shouldn't just think about the current round but rather consider the future rounds as well as you make your decisions. Also think of tricks you can do to get more value out of your cards, such as using a Decoy card in order to trigger a card's ability twice (e.g. the ability that allows you to put a card from your discard pile into play again).

I haven't played against the fisherman you mention yet but I've just played against the other player the Bloody Baron mentioned and beat him on my first go using only cards from White Orchard.

The start can be very hard, but later it becomes surprisingly easy. At one point you'll have two 15 strength neutral cards and several 10 strength cards with special abilities in every deck.

Just keep trying and make use of weather cards whenever possible.

Don't have much problems with Gwent so far. If you follow the quests for Gwent, you should get a number of heroes for every faction.

There's many guides for this on the forums. I wrote a small one myself

In short: Spies and Medics are the strongest. Knowing how and when to use them will win games. Most new players don't think spies are worth it. Play two in a row and have the AI play one unit and then pass because they perceive the 15 point lead to unbeatable. Which in turn you forfeit the round with 4 extra cards or proceed to play 2 or 3. Win the round and still have card advantage.

Other then this use weather cards and leaders effectively.

Building the deck is half the fun and it will happen at which point you will beat every match with little effort unfortunately.

I'd also look into getting Stjepan the Innkeeper of Oxenfurt card. It's a hero medic. Here's hard to beat but it can be done. Even with a basic deck and a lucky draw.

Good luck

i simply have no special cards..

have won like 30 amtch and i have 1 hero card...is even possible?

merchant drop card only the first time you beat them or every time?

At the start the spy cards and that siege medic are by far the most important cards. Some cards you can get early on that makes your life a lot easier are that siegemaster commander(noble in vizima) and the catapult(at the inn in White orchard).
After that just do the quests and get the hero cards while playing all the shop keepers.

i simply have no special cards..

have won like 30 amtch and i have 1 hero card...is even possible?

merchant drop card only the first time you beat them or every time?

Only one card from each merchant and it's completely random. One time I even managed to get a monster hero unit.

Anyways almost any early gwent match and more specificlly the gwent quests can indeed be beat with a base deck. Many others myself included have done this. It may take more tries because you need a lucky draw to get some of your only good cards but it happens.

Read some guides etc. Grasping the fundamentals and little tricks like how to use decoy is important.

Edit: Also I would Google where to get the Scorch caRd. It's purchasable I believe and will wipe out all of the highest monsters on the board. Only the highest common number. So those 10s you have trouble with.

Last edited:
i like gwent a lot but the match-system is crap.

have won like 30 cards from merchants and bought atleast 20 and my decks (every one) are still insufficient...

every good player in the game has: Heroes (i have noone) powerful cards (atleast 10 strenght ) and a lot of combo...

i win only low level card (2 to 5 power with no abilities).

now i am trying to beat the fisherman in Oreton (which is the second-named fight after the Red Baron) and i am unable to do anything..i have lost like 10 times...simply every single card in his deck is better then mine EVERY. is annoying and frustrating

So your deck has too many cards in it? That sounds like the real issue to me. The fisherman is a monster player right? They've easy once you get down their pattern (AKA always use Biting Frost because they stack melee units like crazy).

I definetly agree with the OP on this.
People keep saying "you just have to complete the gwent quests and then it'll become easy"...yea...thanks, i get it...the problem is...i'm not even able to complete the famous gwent mission 'cause the opponents already have decks that are much more overpowered in front of mine.

I also missed the first "good" cards from the merchant during the prologue because, of course, the game didn't warned me about the fact that that merchants will not be available anymore later in the game.
And [SPOILER AHEAD]
I missed the Baron's card too because he was just freaking impossible to defeat with my actual deck and i thought "well...i'll coming back to him later on"...but, of course, he committed suicide later on and my hero card was lost.
Same goes with the masked dance quests where i simply gave up on defeating those 3 opponents always because their decks are something ridicolously powerfull and, after completing the quest i'm not able to enter the manor anymore.

I personally find those kind of things extremely frustrating, gwenth is a really great game, i love to play it but it's supposed to be strategical and funny, NOT based on pure LUCK and nothing else.

Only one card from each merchant and it's completely random. One time I even managed to get a monster hero unit.

Wait, you get a card when you beat merchants? I thought it was only from special characters that have the gold coloured (rather than white) card symbol by the 'Lets Play Gwent" option?

Guess I'm gonna have to backtrack.

Incidentally missing buying the white orchard merchants cards at the start puts you at quite a bit more of a disadvantage I feel. Palatially the catapult.

I definetly agree with the OP on this.
People keep saying "you just have to complete the gwent quests and then it'll become easy"...yea...thanks, i get it...the problem is...i'm not even able to complete the famous gwent mission 'cause the opponents already have decks that are much more overpowered in front of mine.

I also missed the first "good" cards from the merchant during the prologue because, of course, the game didn't warned me about the fact that that merchants will not be available anymore later in the game.
And [SPOILER AHEAD]
I missed the Baron's card too because he was just freaking impossible to defeat with my actual deck and i thought "well...i'll coming back to him later on"...but, of course, he committed suicide later on and my hero card was lost.
Same goes with the masked dance quests where i simply gave up on defeating those 3 opponents always because their decks are something ridicolously powerfull and, after completing the quest i'm not able to enter the manor anymore.

I personally find those kind of things extremely frustrating, gwenth is a really great game, i love to play it but it's supposed to be strategical and funny, NOT based on pure LUCK and nothing else.

Few short answers seeing as these issues have been talked about to death. It's entirely possible to beat a lot of the initial gwent quests without adding a card. The Nobleman in the Vizima garden at the start of the game has a better deck then most and he can be beat at the exact time you meet him. Which is what I did for fear of not coming back.

There's tips and guidelines for building a effective early game deck. Using Minimum units for example.

Also you did not miss the Barons card. If you werent able to beat him before finishing his quests the card is now in his office. And is one of the required cards for a good deck.

Missing the masquerade party cards unfortunately is permanent. I'm guessing at this point they assumed you either liked gwent and had a decent deck or were entirely not interested and didn't care anyways.

I personally have, inside my deck:

- Vernon Roche card (it's the only card i was able to get from the gwent missions)
- 1 decoy + all the classic weather cards
- 2 spies (really useful expecially combined with the healer card and the decoy)
- 1 healer
- all cards around 4-5 atk (with a couple of 6)

I usually set up a lots of combos using, in fact, spies, healer and decoy but nothing of this ever works against the others who ALWAYS have 2-3-4 spies, 1 healer, 2 or 3 decoy, all cards with 8+ atk plus hero cards, 2 commanders horn etc etc...whatever strategy i try to build, they just have ALWAYS exactly the cards that they need to destroy it.
As i said, i think it's a really well made game, really funny and entertaining, the problem is not the game itself for me, just the heavy unbalacing between the rivals decks, and the card that you have.

---------- Updated at 10:59 AM ----------

Also you did not miss the Barons card. If you werent able to beat him before finishing his quests the card is now in his office. And is one of the required cards for a good deck.

Actually i still didn't understand what happened on that mission because, after i've completed it, my objective was "search for the baron's card in his office" among with another main objective "search some documents" i think...in his office there was just a single chest to open and when i opened the main objective was completed, but if i look at my journal, the objective of "take the card from the Baron is red with an X near it" so i supposed i failed that one (i don't even know which is this famous card that the baron was supposed to give you if you defeat him.

Missing the masquerade party cards unfortunately is permanent. I'm guessing at this point they assumed you either liked gwent and had a decent deck or were entirely not interested and didn't care anyways.

I guess you're right on this...but still (always in my opinion) this is just a dumb way of thinking while developing a game like this one.

Few short answers seeing as these issues have been talked about to death. It's entirely possible to beat a lot of the initial gwent quests without adding a card. The Nobleman in the Vizima garden at the start of the game has a better deck then most and he can be beat at the exact time you meet him. Which is what I did for fear of not coming back.

I tried 5 times to defeat him without coming even close to a victory and i just thought "oh well...i'll came back later on with more powerfull cards"...that's it...

In the end, i always say this: maybe i'm the real noob here...but my idea still remain the same...a bit more of balancing could only make this already wonderfull game, a lot better and less frustrating

I personally have, inside my deck:

- Vernon Roche card (it's the only card i was able to get from the gwent missions)
- 1 decoy + all the classic weather cards
- 2 spies (really useful expecially combined with the healer card and the decoy)
- 1 healer
- all cards around 4-5 atk (with a couple of 6)

I usually set up a lots of combos using, in fact, spies, healer and decoy but nothing of this ever works against the others who ALWAYS have 2-3-4 spies, 1 healer, 2 or 3 decoy, all cards with 8+ atk plus hero cards, 2 commanders horn etc etc...whatever strategy i try to build, they just have ALWAYS exactly the cards that they need to destroy it.
As i said, i think it's a really well made game, really funny and entertaining, the problem is not the game itself for me, just the heavy unbalacing between the rivals decks, and the card that you have.

Your deck seems decent. I would throw in a Scorch and two catapults + the Foltest leader card allowing you to double siege. If you draw a clear weather, catapults and using that leader it's gg.

In the end the game is heavily reliant on luck. I've drawn 5 heroes off the start and scorch, medics etc. Other times I've got all weather cards and horns. It happens.

Gwent matches in this game are just like the fights. If something is to hard you go back to the drawing board and come back with more power. Contrary to belief you don't need a ton of heroes and if you have Roche should you not also be able to get Yennefer? One of the best heroes in the game and often times a deciding factor. The fight for her is only slightly harder then Roche.

Edit: The card you wanted from the Baron was another Northern Realms spy card. Pretty essential unfortunately. However I wasnt aware that you could possibly miss this. No one I know has been locked out of getting it as you have. Maybe double check that office.

Last edited:
Your deck seems decent. I would throw in a Scorch and two catapults + the Foltest leader card allowing you to double siege. If you draw a clear weather, catapults and using that leader it's gg.

My foltest have just one power: let me draw a "fog" card from my deck and use it instantly (i don't have any other foltest card)

Contrary to belief you don't need a ton of heroes and if you have Roche should you not also be able to get Yennefer? One of the best heroes in the game and often times a deciding factor. The fight for her is only slightly harder then Roche.

I gained Roche defeating Zoltan in Novigrad...i just don't know where to get Yennefer card.

the only two person i was able to defeat while following the gwent quests were The little kid in Velen and Zoltan... (well with a bunch of random merchants ofc but i don't even count them)

Top Bottom