Gwent causing overheating of GPU

+
Is this happening to anyone else? I never had this problem with Gwent but i started noticing when i switched from a VGA only display to a HDMI only display (i was using a VGA -> HDMI adapter)
I think it also started after the latest update.
Any other game ill play nothing goes beyond 50c, such as NBA 2K21, but Gwent maxes at 62c.
Any thoughts?

I don‘t know what GPU you are using (you didn’t give much info) but 62c usually isn’t really a problem.

Is your gpu fan working? A lot of gpu fans start working at 60c

My GPU is NVIDIA 1030GT and when i used to have my old monitor i was getting 60FPS max and normal temperatures.
When i switched to a new Full HD monitor i am getting 75FPS but with really high temperatures.

I recently cleaned my PC case, fans and applied new thermal pastes.

I am getting really normal temperatures until i am in a Gwent match (not on main menu)

More fps is always more demanding for the gpu. There‘s no way around that,

You can always experiment with the ingame settings though. To see if anything improves by changing some of the settings.
And as mentioned before, make sure your fans are working properly, the gpu usually has one too.

No issues in this regard. I have an Nvidia 2060 and Gwent is among the least demanding games for my video card. I need to play some more demanding stuff than Gwent for the GPU to actually make an effort. I took care though in putting some extra fans just in case.

Ok thank you everyone for your feedback, i guess i ll have to mess with settings since all fans are working properly.

I have a surface 4 pro and Gwent causes my GPU to heat up and the screen starts flickering like crazy. I keep all the in game seeing as low as they will go and play in a tiny window and that helps. Usually when it starts to happen I know it's time for a break anyway. I hate that this game is a complete resource hog for no good reason

DC9V

Forum veteran
Ok thank you everyone for your feedback, i guess i ll have to mess with settings since all fans are working properly.
You can cap FPS via Nvidia Control Panel. By doing that you will be able to reduce both the average GPU temps and CPU temp spikes. If FPS is capped in the Global Settings tab (see second screenshot), the cap might go back to default (off) after restarting the PC. I recommend to set a dedicated cap for Gwent.exe in the Program Settings tab. You can start by matching your monitor's refresh rate, e.g. 60 or 120. If you want to choose a higher or lower value, divide or multiply the refresh rate by 1.5 or 2. Alternatively, take a multiple of 6 or 30.

1625885706938.png1625885806531.png
[please ignore the gsync and AF settings if that doesn't apply to you.]

Last edited:
Top Bottom