Gwent Challenger 3: Please give your feedback!

+
I suggest that to maintain element of surprise, each player should be allowed to adjust at least one of their deck when they go through the next stage of the tournament (semi final and final). According to the current rule set, players have to stick with their prebuilt decks for the whole tournament, so after the quarterfinals, they learn each other's decks easily; which imo is not fun for both the players and viewers.

ThorSerpent;n10899281 said:
-Is there anything that was out of place or annoying? -What should we avoid doing going forward? -On the other hand - what we should implement in the future? -What do you think about casters/analyst/host synergy? -Do you think immersion was good? -What are the best and worst things about this Challenger? ... and anything else you want to share!

• Bard story movie was annoying due to bad editing & acting.
• Technical Problems was annoying too. Some player is close to win & due too bug starting new game is totally unacceptable & not fair too.
• You should remove all this sets & cosplay too, Why? because it's not at all immersive as some peoples are in coat, players are in casuals as well they are playing on computer & most importantly whatever these cosplay actor/actress are doing looks so unnatural & fake so you should really avoid spending money on all of this.
• The worst thing about this challenger is RNG, Repetitive Decks.

• I want you to take Gwent as serious & professional thing rather than funny or time pass game.
• I want to see professional setup. It's hard to explain but I just don't want to see these cosplay thing. I mean I want you to take gwent as a 20th century game even though it's from witcher.
• I will prefer tutorials, cards character info. & history, how card ability works, fan art from competition, new items in shop, funny/expert game replays, friendly gwent matches etc. I mean more serious, real & helpful stuff. I don't mind even if you play & show live gwent match from witcher game, that's quite a good change & interesting thing to watch rather than watching some1 is trying to cut water melon with axe & fake acting :/
• As a suggestion I will prefer simple room for players with gwent card art or any witcher game related art on walls or something like that without any human interference.
• I want to see more different rule sets / theme for every tournament to break the repetitiveness & to challenge players more.
• I want players to enjoy the gwent rather than playing it for money price, I hope you got the point.

In the end I just want to say that if u guys are really serious about the game & looking forward to make it big e-sport game then I think you should start taking it more seriously as there are difference between Fun & Comedy. Fun is ok but comedy in this not going to last long in this field. Entertainment is needed in everything but you really need to decide by which way you want to go further. Sorry for my English but i hope you understand what I want to say. Good Luck.

I saw some people already said it but I will repeat: no more Jesse Cox! Please. He was so fake.

Like everybody else pointed - please stop switching the camera when the Red Coin Players makes a choice or is doing a mulligan - it's so confusing and brings nothing to the game. I would suggest this, cause seeing the choices and the actual choice that the player makes between cards is actually really important: make the top of the Screen where Red Guy is to be the window which we see when he is playing:

Other solution will be if you design something that will make both players to play from their respected side of the Board, like Red Player is looking at his hand and playing on the top of the Board, instead at the bottom like we are all used to. Meaning that Blue Player will always play at the bottom and Red always on the top of the Board.

The deck diversity... this is tricky. It will be nice for players to be able to change stuff, but a whole deck? Well, if this is a RULE that you must change a deck after day one what sort of a rule should it be? Should the player be forced to change the one deck that was Banned during his first game or a deck that he thinks under performed? Or maybe put a cap on cards that might be changed in a single deck - 3 Bronzes, 2 Silvers and 1 Gold. Or maybe players should chose just one of those. This matter needs serious debate and you should definitely communicate this with the said players. You can even run like tryouts to see how this actually works, cause it can lead to HUGE swings. Also, should it be MANDATORY or VOLUNTARILY. And this is a huuuuge question.

One thing is for sure though - this right there will bring a Wild Card element in the games and will make it way more intense Day 2.

The guest hosts... I get the idea behind this, but maybe give them some different role. Like, what are their strengths? Telling stories, conducting interviews? Maybe just let them explore the surrounding area and communicate with the actors, let them play a game of Gwent with an actor during the breaks (Swim and Jaggerous can do excellent here, as they are really familiar with a lot of meme decks), maybe even do a 1 hour pre-show with this, let them play with some meme decks and I am 1000% sure this will be way more fun for everybody involved. I think this will be WAY more attracting than what we have now - guys trying to pump you up for something they do not really understand. It's kinda uncomfortable from both sides of the screen, I believe. Like, Jesse seems like a really, really nice guy, but he was put in uncharted waters and this was what he was screaming in my face, while looking so sympathetic at the same time.

Someone else suggested invite some gaming journalists - maybe link them with the host and make them explore the things I mentioned above, maybe not, but I find it an excellent idea. Than criticism or high praise - you'll know from first person and will have a way better idea of what and where to actually improve.

The costumes... I have one remark - costumes are really good looking, but they do look way too tidy. Maybe they need some crumpling, especially on some specific characters and especially if those characters are in the muddy and dirty woods or whatever (miners, peasants). I am not saying ruin those costumes, but they do look way, way too tidy.

Also, Pavko (my regards) - can he please stay in his costume all the time or if he is not, let him not switch between Pavko and Pavel while the show is on? I mean, if he stays there like Pavko it will bring so much more atmosphere while the event is going.

I am not in a mood for criticizing stuff right now, though it may seemed so with some of the above observation. Main thing I have problems is right now is the state of the game, but you already know that. Those Create BSs that decided games, especially the Nekurat in Final... this was just atrocious.

Best regards,
Borislav.

Please, dont do next tournament until balance patch!
Show was great, but actual gameplay was boring, uninteresting and broken
Fix game first. Than E-sports. On contrary it is a failure

For me personally the story randomly thrown in between matches and commentary was odd and silly. That seems like wasted money to me. I love the atmosphere. Love the commentars during the games. I agree with everyone about too much rng. Tailbot us an excellent player but I truly think he doesn't win the Challenger without rng luck.

Someone suggested swim and jaggerous play games with actors or each other and I like that idea. They could show us what types of decks we will see and how they are supposed to work.

And I agree with everyone who is frustrated that the e sports scene is playing a role on when we get a balance patch. Seems to me it would be even more important for the competitive side that things be balanced. I am ready for create to die an ugly death.

Hi, the production value was great and really impressive.

The one important thing is - interviews.

The important stuff is to understand that you guys deal with great, intelligent people - but who are introverts often with communication language barrier.
You need an experienced interviewer to be able to make an interesting interview with those players and this is really important, as we fans really need that.

Its like in normal journalism you can see people who have talk shows that can handle guests right, ease their nerves, fish for content but doing it so the guest doesn't feel awkward. You need such person for the interviews :) and "journalists" who rather make guests feel dumb.

This is not a post to put a blame on any single person - its just tip that you need really experienced person for the job, that also your growing amazing talent from gwent community can learn from :)

I enjoyed the Challenger very much!! The location was really something, although I would have expected that there would be dwarves around =D

I liked the commentators and analysts, although for Jaggerous (?) I must say it appeared to me that she was talking really fast in a sense that I felt she wanted to say more than she was given time in a bracket, it always seemed hectic when she spoke especially facing Swim who talked very calm and precise so apparently they had enough time but she seemed like she was in hurry.
Overall I liked the attire of the commentators especially Mogwai and Panda, some outfits of the other casters I did not find appealing but they certainly portrayed their own style I guess and there is no arguing about taste so I guess that is fine :)

What I really like about the tournaments is how the players are presented in a small video and that you made new videos for the last day.

What you could do better: when casters talk at length about a specific card or mechanic it may be good to display this card or mechanic. Don't ask me where though. I just felt, as a Gwent player naturally I know what the cards do, but if I were new or just tuning in, then I would have no clue what the casters are going on about and why it is so important right now. I don't know if I remember correctly but sometimes you display the card on the right side of the screen but not always and not fast enough. I don't know if it is overly "childish" but since you have an introduction video at the beginning of challenger, maybe have a segment where you present a certain type of card or certain type mechanic. Like you had the interludes with the LARP people there could be small videos in which you present for example the Discard mechanic or Crewmen tag etc, not as a drawn out explanation but short and sharp what it is about. Or you could combine it with LARP and for next challenger make small videos that show Gwent card effects with actual people. "Scorch" would be a tough one though or "Alzur's Thunder" :p But maybe that would be boring for a crowd that mainly will know the game well. Nobody explains soccer rules during a match either after all.

I'm looking forward to the next event and am especially curious what location you will pick.

Thanks for your valuable feedback, everyone! :)
It' very nice to see that many of you were having a good time watching the last Challenger. All your feedback and suggestions are noted, we'll do our best to make our next events even better.

It's nice even if you arrange friendly arena matches rather than some story or cos play. I am just saying I will prefer more productive & professional contend then current setup.

Top Bottom