GWENT Challenger tournament announced!

+
Was a good tournament, but for the next ones we need more variety in decks. It was quite boring watching the same basic strats every game.

Congratulations Life coach !
But a tempo is too bad unlike an original.
One game takes time too much.
There are too few strategies, and too boring.
This game should be improved more.

I think the main problem yesterday was the length of the matches. I mean, a 10h stream is WAY too much. I was tired of watching, as so were the players. Noxious was completely beaten in the final round.

Either limit the round timer to 1min (instead of 1:30min) or just play at best of 3 instead of 5, because this format is way to lengthy.

Noxious made big mistake banning Lifecoach ST over MO imo otherwise he played fantastically in all rounds.

Congrats to Lifecoach.. His focus really makes the difference.

TH3WITCH3R;n8523630 said:
Noxious made big mistake banning Lifecoach ST over MO imo otherwise he played fantastically in all rounds.

Congrats to Lifecoach.. His focus really makes the difference.

Lifecoach's preferred deck (and the one he is known for and considers best) is his ST deck, so everybody playing against him banned it since he's stronger with ST.

Nimraphel;n8525430 said:
Lifecoach's preferred deck (and the one he is known for and considers best) is his ST deck, so everybody playing against him banned it since he's stronger with ST.

At least for me it's not always about what your opp. is good at but you should considered your decks / strong & weak points too. IMO Lifecoach only wins just because of 1 & only 1 card which is caretaker... that stole 13 strength Bear turned the game for him.

Last edited:
TH3WITCH3R;n8525690 said:
At least for me it's not always about at what your opp. is good at but you should considered your decks / strong & weak points too. IMO Lifecoach only wins just because of 1 & only 1 card which is caretaker... that stole 13 strength Bear turned the game for him.

This, and Noxious should hold his head very high... because he for sure did not get a beat down

The only thing that kinda bothered me was a few times when the commentors had said,[and im paraphrasing] That Gwent didnt rely on RNG or wasnt a big factor in Gwent.

Really? c'mon

Last edited:
Actually the deck life coach won all his matches with in the tournament is henselt. I believe noxious should have banned this instead.

TheShift;n8525780 said:
This, and Noxious should hold his head very high... because he for sure did not get a beat down

The only thing that kinda bothered me was a few times when the commentors had said,[and im paraphrasing] That Gwent didnt rely on RNG or wasnt a big factor in Gwent.

Really? c'mon

I believe they referred to compared to Hearthstone/other CCG's. Which is true in that context; Gwent arguably has the least amount of rng out of all its competitors (and thanks God for that).

As for Caretaker, I firmly believe Caretaker could easily be reduced to 2 or 3 strength and still be viable. It would lessen the point swing drastically while still ensuring that his value remains around the ballpark of a total 12-16 value, which is fine for a faction-specific gold.

I think Caretaker merits looking at, definitely. Reducing his strength would be a good start I think; he'd still be useful, but likely not an auto-include in every Monster deck (i.e. if weather returns to popularity).

Nimraphel;n8527020 said:
I believe they referred to compared to Hearthstone/other CCG's. Which is true in that context; Gwent arguably has the least amount of rng out of all its competitors (and thanks God for that).

As for Caretaker, I firmly believe Caretaker could easily be reduced to 2 or 3 strength and still be viable. It would lessen the point swing drastically while still ensuring that his value remains around the ballpark of a total 12-16 value, which is fine for a faction-specific gold.

I think Caretaker merits looking at, definitely. Reducing his strength would be a good start I think; he'd still be useful, but likely not an auto-include in every Monster deck (i.e. if weather returns to popularity).

Makes sense..I haven't played any other card type game
went over my head then

TheShift;n8525780 said:

Really? c'mon

That sentence was repeated so many times that it is clear to me that was scripted. The PR must have had a briefing with them, expressing the need to tell the audience that. Which is fact a lie or, at the very least, a underevaluation of whats going on.

I've never played other card games but gwent is substantially RNG dependend. I wouldnt say too much but it is RNG reliant.

el_Bosco;n8527130 said:
That sentence was repeated so many times that it is clear to me that was scripted. The PR must have had a briefing with them, expressing the need to tell the audience that. Which is fact a lie or, at the very least, a underevaluation of whats going on.

I've never played other card games but gwent is substantially RNG dependend. I wouldnt say too much but it is RNG reliant.

Codexhel wrote a very succinct post recently about RNG in Gwent, why it is obviously there (of course, nobody's denying it), but also outlining how it is considerably less in Gwent compared to its competitors. I agree it was emphasized a lot, but for CCG affecionados, that is one of Gwent's primary selling points, and one of the most appealing aspects of it... So hammering home the point makes sense, as it is one of the areas that really sets it apart from its competitors.

If you haven't played other CCG's I can easily see how it seems very off in a vacuum, but if you'd played other CCG's I think you'd see it differently :)

Missed the stream thanks for the spoiler, 10/10 would read again.
So far watching Trump play, that Igni missplay cost him big time. The Beserker before Coral was actually a good safe play, as he was guessing the last card in Fion's hand to be a First Light since he doesn't run Dagon.

Did the Gwent Challenger worked out?

I must say I really loved the Challenger. It was fun to watch. But the more important question is..... was it a good promotion for Gwent? The answer is yes of course but somehow I think they choose the wrong Pro Gamer. Life coach and Noxious are both awesome. They really promote a lot on their youtube channel. Noxious even start a tutorial for Gwent.

But PPD and Trump somehow dont really care about Gwent. PPD Is a Dota 2 player. I feel like he doesn't really play card games. And Trump is obviously a Hearthstone fan. He also did some paid promotion for other card games but till now he didn't put on a single Gwent video on his channel.

I really hope open Beta and Gwent release hit the world like a Warhammer. This game is great.

In this time and age even bad promotion is considered good advertisment. Having said that, it doesn't matter if a famous YouTuber/Streamer doesn't care about the game, what matters is to show off the quality of the game. Famous and well known Youtubers/Streamers went there? Then it got promoted. The rest is up to the game itself, it's mechanics and artstyle and ofc. how it's Devs treat it and the community.

For a first big time event it was a good one for sure. The quality of the game is high, the support is huge and the Devs are there listening and refining it so it can be approachable by any wallet. Which is the least i can say for other CCG's. The game is more rewarding than most, it'll have content most CCG's would be jealous of and the community is pretty good, considering this is the Internet.

So, for the meta the game had at the time it was more than good tourney imo. Even someone like PPD showed that you can play as an outsider or play non meta decks and succed at a point, that a plus in my book. I personally thank him for being so relaxed and because he played cards no one would ever thought of bringing and winning with them (even for a match). Trump is good, Trump is 100% inexperienced though, he needs time, it's up to him to invest time in Gwent.

I am sure the game will at least have a steady base of ppl. and because we like it we will support as much as possible.

Top Bottom