Gwent declared open war to hearthstone? Or its goin' to be sold to blizzard?

+
Accidentaly I've noticed today, that at 10th of december will be released big new update in Blizzard's Hearthstone- set of additional 135 cards , and other changes. Does it means, that by dealying gwent next update until exackly same day when will be update of hearthstone gwent will try to start open war with hearthsone for players? Or maybe to the countary - gwent is thinking about selling game to bigger rival and same day of two games update's is beggining of transfer?
IDK - what do You think? Because unlikely it is only a coincident

Or maybe to the countary - gwent is thinking about selling game to bigger rival
Yeah, that is not going to happen... Burza and Slama made it very clear CDPR have loads of plans for the game.

Maybe it's coincidence, maybe it isn't. Only the devs know and, frankly, I personally couldn't care less. Hearthstone is of no interest to me.

Destiny 2 also have new sesaon start on Dec 10, does this mean Bungie gonna buy CDPR?

Destiny 2 also have new sesaon start on Dec 10, does this mean Bungie gonna buy CDPR?

And 10 dec is also International human rights day - it have the same in common with cards games as Destiny 2. But hearthstone and gwent have in common a lot , and that is why is hard to belive in coincident - never season in gwent last so long as present one

Last edited:
After I gave up gwent, I tried Hearthstone. I literally have no idea how or why anyone plays that game.

After I gave up gwent, I tried Hearthstone. I literally have no idea how or why anyone plays that game.

Interesting remark - I've never played hearthstone yet, but I was thinking about it - so You think that is worse than gwent and not worth even tryin'? At last they widely advertise 135 new cards and a lot new things 10th of dec. - in gwent to the countary , total silent , nobody knows what will be updated in 4 days...
(if something at all, except new season name and date when it will end , like in last patch ;)

Interesting remark - I've never played hearthstone yet, but I was thinking about it - so You think that is worse than gwent and not worth even tryin'? At last they widely advertise 135 new cards and a lot new things 10th of dec. - in gwent to the countary , total silent , nobody knows what will be updated in 4 days...
(if something at all, except new season name and date when it will end , like in last patch ;)

HS is very agressive with new players and the meta is not better at Gwent now, just the same decks over and over.
But if you love RNG chessy things is the right place.
The new expansion is a new level of powercreep.....just insane.

I play from the beta but it must be recognized that it is a game that only works if you are familiar with the characters of Blizzard, outside of that it is not striking for quite some time.

Unfortunately Gwent is apparently on the same path, hopefully this new expansion will improve things (and stop adding HS mechanics).
At least in the artistic part it gives me good expectations, more magical creatures / monsters or whatever, as long as they are no more cities of humans and dwarfs with a nose full of mud.

Regarding equality on the release date, it is strange, Gwent has nothing to see now, we have not seen cards and there is no pre-purchase.
They don't leave many options, it's just wait.

If you want to try some diferent card game i would suggest Legends of Runetera (currently in closed beta).
I played almost every card game and Gwent is by far the best one - best gameplay, best art, best game economy.

Hearthstone - RNG, P2W nonsense! It has some bright sides: lot of diferent modes, lot of content, there is so much RNG that it's almost reliable.... It is fun at first, but the omnipresent RNG is a deal breaker. Also you will not be able to "progress" without spending money.
Elder Scrolls Legends - Mix of Magic and Hearthstone. It's a decent game but unfortunately, it has "bad" amount of RNG - too litle to be "reliable", too much to be inconsequential. Also it's not very original. But i have to give them "thumbs up" for the solo arena mode, i wish every card game had something like this.
Magic the Gathering Arena - Online version of the mother/father of all card games. Magic always had AMAZING deck building. There are no RNG cards. The downside is the mana system in this game - Lands - you have to draw the right amount and the right color of lands if you want to be able to do anything. Also i heard that the balance is nothing to brag about.
Hex - P2W Magic clone.
Spellweaver - Weird, not-so-fun Magic clone.
Artifact - DOTA card game, I haven't played it because it's not F2P. And apparently it's dead.
Legends of Runetera - LoL card game, i don't have close beta access, so i can't say if it's good or bad, but it has some interesting mechanics.

Legends of Runetera - LoL card game, i don't have close beta access, so i can't say if it's good or bad, but it has some interesting mechanics.

I have acces.

It is the same HS system, basically a copy of MtG but "simplified", the difference with HS is that they did not simplify it so much and did not go to the "party RNG" which is HS currently.

The meta is repetitive with almost all players mixing a specific faction in order to use the counter spell. The details are very few at the moment and if they review them they will achieve very good results.

Even so, it gives a good impression as a game and the economy system is quite good, and they incorporate something very positive that is the limitation of how much a user can spend money (monthly) in the game.

For those who play MtG it doesn't make much sense to move on to those games, Gwent was the exception because he wasn't born as a copy of MtG, he had his own essence.

@Pacifixer @Angel...

Thank You for very detailed inside's about other card games, and after reading Your opinions I think the best solution is to wait till 10th dec and check if gwent will suprise pleasently somehow these time and if he will, i will geave him another try because it seems to be best of all present online card games and I very like Wither-World characters what is important for me too ; but if no, there will be no other option that try one of other mentioned card games :/

@Pacifixer has a far better summary than mine! But, seriously, HS is nothing but cartoonish, random rubbish. I also found the deckbuilding to be incredibly monotonous, too much info and the main problem for me was I had no investment in the cards. This is why Gwent remains on top - if you've played the Witcher series, you have attachment to the cards, which I think is important for the game.

To reiterate what others have said:

How is Gwent different from Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering: Arena, for F2P players?
1. Smaller deck size (making it easier to create competitive decks)
2. You cannot fill your deck with only legendary cards (unlike with HS and MtG, making those decks very expensive)
3. Less frequent expansions with less cards (making it easier to keep up with the collection)
4. And it's easier to earn rewards.

@Pacifixer has a far better summary than mine! But, seriously, HS is nothing but cartoonish, random rubbish. I also found the deckbuilding to be incredibly monotonous, too much info and the main problem for me was I had no investment in the cards. This is why Gwent remains on top - if you've played the Witcher series, you have attachment to the cards, which I think is important for the game.

I fully agree that gameplay and mechanics in card gamr are far more important than grafic's and animation, but someone in CDPR in the Day of release Gwent Homecoming seems to forgot about it. Of course its great when both grafics and gameplay are on hi level, but if it is no possible , than gameplay should go first. In gwent is to the countary , and that is a reason why many people who love Wither characters are thinking about leaving game definitely with time
Post automatically merged:

To reiterate what others have said:

How is Gwent different from Hearthstone and Magic the Gathering: Arena, for F2P players?
1. Smaller deck size (making it easier to create competitive decks)
2. You cannot fill your deck with only legendary cards (unlike with HS and MtG, making those decks very expensive)
3. Less frequent expansions with less cards (making it easier to keep up with the collection)
4. And it's easier to earn rewards.

Dont get me wrong bro, I don't doubt that You are great moderator, and You really know a lot about gwent and all branch of card games, but in the end of the Day You are on CDPR payroll - so You crearly can't be really objective even if You want because eny single bad word about gwent in compare to competition it could be clear conflict of interest 4U :/

Last edited:
There are plenty of games having big updates during the first two weeks of December, because of seasonal events but also because it allows teams to take their vacations in late December. No need to overthink it.

There are plenty of games having big updates during the first two weeks of December, because of seasonal events but also because it allows teams to take their vacations in late December. No need to overthink it.

That is true but gwent usually made updates in the end of the month, and now the season was extended about 10 days longer than usuall only to finish exackly 10 of december; on top of that any bigger changes are not announced (maybe the will be , but frankly i don't think so) , and console sector of gwent is goin' to be shout down. Of course it all can be only a coincidence (gwent usually release bigger updates every 3 months - now will be only 2 since last one, and console sector was only 4% of revenue so shutting it down is reasonalbe) but - again - frankly it is so much bad things goin' on right now that I don't think it is coincidence

Last edited:
and now the season was extended about 10 days longer than usuall
Which could very well be because of the holidays in December-January. That's what I've been assuming for weeks now.

Last year the final season started on December 4th, and the final season of 2017 ended on January 10th 2018. So, nothing strange about this year.

Which could very well be because of the holidays in December-January. That's what I've been assuming for weeks now.

Last year the final season started on December 4th, and the final season of 2017 fended on January 10th 2018. So, nothing strange about this year.

Reasonable explanation - unfortunatelly i dont think it's the right one, but surely reasonable. I guess time will tell , we will see

but in the end of the Day You are on CDPR payroll - so You crearly can't be really objective even if You want because eny single bad word about gwent in compare to competition it could be clear conflict of interest 4U

That's where you are wrong. I am (only) a moderator (blue status), not a representative of CDPR (red status). That's why I can express my own opinion, as long as I adhere to the forum regulations. Those four points I have mentioned are objective and not in favoritism of CDPR. Furthermore, I have disagreed with the direction Gwent is taking on several occasions. For example:

Remove all Tutor Leaders (Francesca's Mystic Echo)
And so we've come full circle
The Ranking System is Backwards
Freak Show & the Borsodi Brothers [with Bounty]

Constructive feedback is always appreciated.

That's where you are wrong. I am (only) a moderator (blue status), not a representative of CDPR (red status). That's why I can express my own opinion, as long as I adhere to the forum regulations. Those four points I have mentioned are objective and not in favoritism of CDPR. Furthermore, I have disagreed with the direction Gwent is taking on several occasions. For example:

Remove all Tutor Leaders (Francesca's Mystic Echo)
And so we've come full circle
The Ranking System is Backwards
Freak Show & the Borsodi Brothers [with Bounty]

Constructive feedback is always appreciated.

OK , so You work here almost everyday and You often present official position's of CD-PR in many important matters (like for ex. about no refunds for PS4 users after shutting down the game) as the charity gift of social act ;)
I will be honest - I respect You a lot, because Your proffesional attitude, knowledge, and a lot of engagement to these forum is one of the main reasons why I prefer to discuss here than on polish forum where meritholical discussion or information almost don't exist (for example You answered in 2 hours my question about why I am all the time paired only with players from top 50 of pro rank - no one on Polish forum was able to explain that in one month before that)
So from these respect for You, and in sake for good atmosphere in future discussions I won't push these issue of Your relation with CDPR any further - let's agree that it's not my buisness , and I want to belive that it don't have any influence on Your statements about the game in compare to direct competitors;
So to don't press these matter longer I think lets just wait till 10th and we will See what will happen

Last edited:

I have played Hearthstone (HS) from its very beginning -though not beta- and i can say with utmost sincerity that Gwent is so much better.

I have only been playing Gwent for 2 weeks and i have already managed to assemble a very good MO deck without haviung spent a single dime! HS will never ever get you that without real cash being invested. Even then, with Blizzard constantly releasing new expansions and phasing out older ones i find it frustrating as im not interested in Wild mode.

The other point being is that HS has wayyyyyy too much RNG going on and is less cerebral .I love the fact that Gwent has you winning 2 out of 3 rounds and the Pass mechanic even has strategy to it.

I dont wish to continue waxing lyrical about how much i prefer Gwent but kudos to the developers !

Cheers people

Top Bottom