Gwent From A Spectators View

+
Gwent From A Spectators View

Yesterday I was talking with two other really cool and enthusiastic people about Gwent and an interesting point they brought up was that for Gwent to succeed and become big, it needs to be fun watching a game of Gwent.
As they said, part of what makes Hearthstone so fun to watch is the liberally sprinkled RNG on top of the game which creates an abundance of fun and exciting moments for the spectators (if not always for the players themselves).

I would very much love to see Gwent become really big and I think it cannot be underestimated how important streamers and viewers will be for that to happen. So not only does Gwent need to be an awesome game to play, it also needs to be really fun to watch.
With no new cards added to your hand during the game (apart from Spies or what have you), and as promised no game deciding RNG elements in the game, it could very well become too predictable or boring for the viewers.

They are planning to make the game really visually attractive, but more than that I think it is important to clearly communicate not only to the players but also to the viewers what is actually going on. I have watched quite a bit of Hearthstone in the beginning, without really knowing the cards or what was happening, yet it was still fun and somewhat understandable.

I'm wondering what you all think regarding this topic?

This is a big topic for us - we want to be sure that Gwent is fun to play and fun to watch - making sure that for example animations give you information even when you dont know the card is the way to go an HS does this very well. We are doing our best to make it a cool experience to watch.

This is a big topic for us - we want to be sure that Gwent is fun to play and fun to watch - making sure that for example animations give you information even when you dont know the card is the way to go an HS does this very well. We are doing our best to make it a cool experience to watch.

As I've suspected but I am sure glad to hear it directly from someone on the development team. ;)

I think the game is amazing to watch. I would compare the viewing of this game to watching Poker versus watching Hearthstone. In other words, the excitement comes from the bluffing, and the strategic plays as opposed to random card effects. I think once people understand the game, and see how you can play it masterfully the game will do very well.
You made a good point, but I think we need to get away from hearthstone as a template, and focus on the game being groundbreaking on its own.

Top Bottom