gwent Fun but incredibly frustrating

+
gwent Fun but incredibly frustrating

So as many of you know the Witcher 3 has a very cool card game called gwent. I've enjoyed roaming through out the games would and challenging the inhabitants of the games It's also a lot of fun collecting new cards and strengthening your decks. But the thing i like about the game the most is strategy part of it and the thing I hate about it the most is the luck element of the game. Yes I know most if not all card games have a bit of luck involved in playing them and that's perfectly fine.

That is as long as the people you are playing against also have to deal with the luck aspect of the game. So imagine my disappointment and frustration when I got to the side quest High Stakes. Now don't misunderstand me I don't mind that I've lost 10 game straight in a row. But what I do mind is that the developers decided that instead of making the games A.I smarter they decided that they would basically let the A.I cheat.

Now when I say that the A.I is cheating I mean that they no longer have to randomly draw cards from their deck. They can pick w.e cards they want to chose from. This means that they can pick the best cards from their deck every time. Mean while I sit their with a very similar deck have to have my starting cards randomly pulled. Again I want to emphasize the fact that I do not mind that the game is hard. I just hate the fact that in order to win I have to pick counter cards to each person I play against in this quest.

For me at least it takes a lot of the fun out of the game. Because It's either to hard due to the fact the A.I can pick their starting cards or too easy because I can just pick perfect counters. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was really looking forward to this side quest and it really disappointment me.

One last thing i should mention is that I've only beaten the first player and I did it by picking perfect counter cards to his and in the end it felt like i was cheating so I pretty much abandoned the quest out of frustration so I don't know if the other A.I have the same mechanic. Also please try to remember that if you disagree with me this is just an opinion your free to share yours but don't be mean about it. .

I don't think the AI cheats, not from what I've seen. I do know that the decks end of completely unbalanced, and this applies to the AI as well. I just played a barkeep in Skellige that used a ton of spies, decoys, and had both Cirilla and Geralt, Yennefer and Villentretenmerth in their deck. Of course so did I, so I beat him when I got a better hand next go around.

You'd be surprised how consistent you can make your NR/NG deck if you put in all the Spy cards in the game. You just mulligan for them and hope to draw more powerful cards.

Also, make your deck as small as reasonably achievable to guarantee consistent draw. A 25 card deck with less bloat is usually stronger than a 33 card deck with weaker overall cards, given equal card draw.

Edit: You cannot possibly hope to find evidence of the AI cheating. You'll also find the AI to be extremely weak - regardless of whether or not it cheats - once you've acquired a reasonable set of cards.

Last edited:
So as many of you know the Witcher 3 has a very cool card game called gwent. I've enjoyed roaming through out the games would and challenging the inhabitants of the games It's also a lot of fun collecting new cards and strengthening your decks. But the thing i like about the game the most is strategy part of it and the thing I hate about it the most is the luck element of the game. Yes I know most if not all card games have a bit of luck involved in playing them and that's perfectly fine.

That is as long as the people you are playing against also have to deal with the luck aspect of the game. So imagine my disappointment and frustration when I got to the side quest High Stakes. Now don't misunderstand me I don't mind that I've lost 10 game straight in a row. But what I do mind is that the developers decided that instead of making the games A.I smarter they decided that they would basically let the A.I cheat.

Now when I say that the A.I is cheating I mean that they no longer have to randomly draw cards from their deck. They can pick w.e cards they want to chose from. This means that they can pick the best cards from their deck every time. Mean while I sit their with a very similar deck have to have my starting cards randomly pulled. Again I want to emphasize the fact that I do not mind that the game is hard. I just hate the fact that in order to win I have to pick counter cards to each person I play against in this quest.

For me at least it takes a lot of the fun out of the game. Because It's either to hard due to the fact the A.I can pick their starting cards or too easy because I can just pick perfect counters. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that I was really looking forward to this side quest and it really disappointment me.

One last thing i should mention is that I've only beaten the first player and I did it by picking perfect counter cards to his and in the end it felt like i was cheating so I pretty much abandoned the quest out of frustration so I don't know if the other A.I have the same mechanic. Also please try to remember that if you disagree with me this is just an opinion your free to share yours but don't be mean about it. .
Sounds to me like your deck is not ready. When the XP glitch hit I thought it would be a good opportunity to play Gwent. I got addicted quickly and played for 2.5h the first day and another 1h the second. After that my deck was incredibly powerful and I barely ever lost a game. I have found no evidence that the enemy cheats and I have no idea how you would know the AI gets to draw the cards it wants. Certainly doesn't seem like that to me.

With the deck I have atm. I steamroll any enemy out there. The only time I ever lose is if I play with Scoia'tael and sometimes when I play with Monster. Nilfgaard and Northern Realms never fail me. Just bait the enemy into playing powerful cards and then spam spy.

Edit: if you actually want help. Post a video of a game you lose and a screen/video of your deck.

It is nearly impossible to prove, but I dont think the AI cheats,with the right Deck you win nearly 100% of the Games.

Just play northern Realms and follow these simple Rules: (Nilfgard is possible, but not as good)

1. Stack Spies, Medics, and Decoys, you cant have too much of them.
2. Always let your enemy pass first, thats easy because you spy all those extra Cards, enemy Spies you decoy immediately or revive them next round and then send them back to him...
3. Remove all Melee Cards from your Deck, except for Spies and Heroes. (this makes NR better than Nilfgard)
4. Play Frost after your enemy has passed, it will cripple him in most cases.

The only way to loose is when you dont draw enough Spies in Round 1... But you have 5 in your Deck, you should draw at least two right away, and use them to draw one more...

Anyone here play gwent on PS4 and felt like it went wonky after patch 1.04? I draw awful, awful hands anymore! lol I have 10 special cards in my deck and draw half or more start of game now! I play the Northern Realm and already have "fog" from Foltest to add to the chaos. Top of that seems like it loves to give me my lowest powered cards too. Maybe its just me? lol It does make you feel pretty badass though to pull out a win with hands these bad though, maybe its intended or something. Id rather play with my Dwarven dice in some Dice Poker though personally over gwent, doesn't make me as mad Haha!! (^ ^ )

Anyone here play gwent on PS4 and felt like it went wonky after patch 1.04? I draw awful, awful hands anymore! lol I have 10 special cards in my deck and draw half or more start of game now! I play the Northern Realm and already have "fog" from Foltest to add to the chaos. Top of that seems like it loves to give me my lowest powered cards too. Maybe its just me? lol It does make you feel pretty badass though to pull out a win with hands these bad though, maybe its intended or something. Id rather play with my Dwarven dice in some Dice Poker though personally over gwent, doesn't make me as mad Haha!! (^ ^ )

Nope. Not at all. Remove some special cards if you think you have too many. I used to try and have 1-2 of each special in my deck, but now it is much more specialized. For NG and NR I usually use 2-3 decoys (for spies, medics and villen), scorch, frost or rain (frost vs monsters, rain vs NR (but really neither is needed when you can just spam spy)) and 0-1 horn (special ability and/or danelion do the rest). In short, find a strategy and set up your deck accordingly.

I do have one annoying Gwent but though: Sometimes certain moves are block. I can only select one card even though I have a huge hand and sometimes I can't even play it. I had to forfeit a few games because there wasn't a single action I could perform anymore, despite having a 10+ hand.

Gwent AI is so rubbish, cheat or not, their lose is inevitable heh heh

They could do nothing against my Spy deck :D and SCORCH SCORCH SCORCH!

High Stakes competition were extremely fun and rewarding for me. Cantarella's spy deck have set my ass on fire few times, but it was the most entertaining match in the game, for sure.

I hope that there'll be more top-notch gwent masters in future DLCs/addons

I don't think the AI cheats, not from what I've seen. I do know that the decks end of completely unbalanced, and this applies to the AI as well. I just played a barkeep in Skellige that used a ton of spies, decoys, and had both Cirilla and Geralt, Yennefer and Villentretenmerth in their deck. Of course so did I, so I beat him when I got a better hand next go around.

I just played the tailor in Skellige, last night. He had so many spy cards and Decoys in his deck. I played him 4 times before I won and he had exactly the same cards each time.

Like @OnkelCannabia said, it sounds like you simply have too many cards in your deck. Remember that you only need a minimum of 22 unit cards. I don't keep more than my 22 most valuable cards in any of my decks, ensuring that I will never draw level 2,3,4,or 5 cards. The same goes for special cards. If you have three Commader's Horns in your deck, you'll be more likely to draw them than if you only had one.

You not really need to win the tournament either, I think. It took me a number of tries as well, but it is certainly doable.

Gwent is the only part of this awesome game I completely ignore. Zero interest in playing cards in game ;-)

Like @OnkelCannabia said, it sounds like you simply have too many cards in your deck. Remember that you only need a minimum of 22 unit cards. I don't keep more than my 22 most valuable cards in any of my decks, ensuring that I will never draw level 2,3,4,or 5 cards. The same goes for special cards. If you have three Commader's Horns in your deck, you'll be more likely to draw them than if you only had one.

I have exactly 32 cards, 22 units and 10 special (X_ X ) " ' Haha! But sounds like it may just be me having a run of bad luck. Just thought I would come here and see. Thanks for your response friend. See you!

-Z

I use NR and I don't even bother with decoys. Spys, medics, scorch, and my best cards. I hardly ever lose and I have never seen the computer have the same cards 2 hands in a row. I think the biggest thing is I waited until I had a pretty good deck before I really played much. The only time I seem to lose is if the AI uses the ability to cancel my leaders ability which is clear weather. I get burned every now and then, but, I smoke them the next time around.

this one part of the game is what i hate,stupid damn card games in an rpg ?..somewhere in cdp theres a dweeb with a fetish for these damn games.

if i could rip it out of the code i would.

the dice game was simple and entertaining,this is just a chore that takes up quest space and sits there taking the pith.

I use NR and I don't even bother with decoys. Spys, medics, scorch, and my best cards. I hardly ever lose and I have never seen the computer have the same cards 2 hands in a row. I think the biggest thing is I waited until I had a pretty good deck before I really played much. The only time I seem to lose is if the AI uses the ability to cancel my leaders ability which is clear weather. I get burned every now and then, but, I smoke them the next time around.

Decoys are beyond ridiculous against NR, NG and Scoia'tael when they revive your spies. You can also use them to bolster the limited revival capacities of NR by decoying the one non-heroic medic they have. It's a fantastic card.

Last edited:
What bothers me is that picking your opponents is the main skill. And that's largely a matter of guessing who has a deck you can beat and who is currently unbeatable to you. I'd appreciate some red skulls for gwent. An icons aying I already beat that guy would also be appreciated. I hate wasting my time on players I already beat... and win no card. :sad:

I thought gauging my opponents would be much easier on my second playthrough, that following the gwent quest on velen would take me to easy dudes, but it doesn't. I gotta run around from town to town, trying to guess who's weak enough for my early deck. The gwent quests should help more in this regard, imo. Losing to OP decks is indeed annoying.

And why ya'll trashing the AI. I think it's pretty good. It's stupid sometimes, but I suspect it's done on purpose. It's easy to imagine some folks being bad players, specially in a "medieval" setting.

Top Bottom