Gwent - Gaming With Elves, Nilfgaardians & Things

+

Gwent - Gaming With Elves, Nilfgaardians & Things

• Yes, I enjoy resting in a medieval setting, keep it authentic for Wiedźmin, knaves & fools, please.

Votes: 138 82.1%
  • No, I want all the bells & whistles of a modern cardgame, Witcher: The Huntering, please.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Don't Care, not in the books - won't be touching your damn cards anyway, boooos, hisssses.

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters
You have a dealt "hand" of 10 cards. There are weather effects (which each halve the strength of each single rank).

Three ranks, line troops, archers/mages and siege artillery.
Some troops have special abilities, pairs can double their mutal strength, heroes ignore weather.

Factions can draw additional cards or other effects once(?) per game. You have to win 2 rounds out of three, so going all in and winning the first round won't be the best strategy.

Full details of play won't be clear until the full rules and decks are known, but this is the gist.

I am not sure whether or not i like it at this moment.

Minigames are nice if they are well done, but i am not quite sure if a card game is the best choice for a quite harsh medieval environment. Cards are made of paper after all, so i would prefer gwent to have some sort of tokens rather than cards. But it is in now and i am fine with it, just find it a bit weird.

I am not sure whether or not i like it at this moment.

Minigames are nice if they are well done, but i am not quite sure if a card game is the best choice for a quite harsh medieval environment. Cards are made of paper after all, so i would prefer gwent to have some sort of tokens rather than cards. But it is in now and i am fine with it, just find it a bit weird.

I see this video and see the minigames with cards, and like it much. :D

Damien Monnier, senior game disigner, explain, this afternoon during a stream, how they created this game and it was pretty impressive. The game seems to have real deep mechanics. The risk they take and the work the did on this makes me really want to try it.

Regarding the relevance of a medieval card game, it seems to me totaly viable. Card games appear in Europe during the XIVe century, so why not. Also, I remember that Dwarf Geralt's friend play a very complicated card game in the novel. So, it's fun to have the occasion to play cards in the game.

Gwent - just a little advice for future patch

I really love this game so far (about 50 hrs in it for now) and i'm literally in love with gwent game...still i've just one single little advice for the developers team...fix the decks of the people that we're supposed to defeat...
Maybe i'm the noob here but i've spent all my coins buying all the cards that i could be able to find from merchants, i've defeated all the random people i was able to defeat but the game still remain FREAKING unbalanced.
The other decks just remain really unbeatable with the card that i have...is just simply impossible (unless you're willing to spend 1 week day after day to repeat the same damn match just HOPING that the other person will draw the wrong cards from his deck, which i find ridicolous even if i already tried [i repeated the same match against some kid like 30 times in a row without even come close to a victory]).
I don't know really, i just find it really really frustrating cause, as i said, is just too much unbalanced...is just PURE luck (with a bit of strategy ofc but mainly luck and random).

If any other player have some good advice (aside from the basic ones) about how to gear up my deck, where to find good cards etc etc since i even reached a point on the main quest where
you have to defeat 3 people on gwent if you want to do things in a "clean" and peaceful way and i'm not even remotely able to defeat any of them and i'm starting to feel REALLY forced to take the brutal and evil way which i don't quite like

Of course, this is just my personal opinion, if you don't agree with it, you're definetly free to talk about it and maybe teach me something i don't know, possibly avoiding useless flames and insults in the process.

Best regards to everyone
A frustrated player XD

Dont get my gwent cards

when I win a round of gwent and win a new card I cant find it in my gwent cards or in my inventory, why?
plz help

Definitely a learning curve thing as far as I see it. Some quick tips. I wrote a larger guide a while back it sadly got buried in the forums. Can't link it on my phone but you can search for it to get some more in depth ideas.

Quickly though. Make sure you use spies. There's two you should get fairly easy in your Northern Realms deck. Stennis and Dijkstra. These cards played in the first round can win you games easily. Often times the AI will pass the first round because of this.

Medics are the second best type. Sadly you only get one as NR.

Weather cards and by extension clear weather are absolutely key. Especially against monster decks. Knowing when and how to play these is vital.

Leader abilities. Don't forget about them.

Cycling cards. What I mean by this is sometimes it can be advantagous to play a card to see the AI move rather then pass the round. The best example is using a unneeded weather effect or playing one already on the field.

Hope some of this helps. There various great guides around on these forums. Definitely recommend a search if you want some different perspective.

Good luck.

I think this has been mentioned before and could possibly be a known bug. However I would check to make sure the cards your receiving and thus looking for belong to the faction your looking in.

Huh? If you do the gwent quests as they come, they are pretty easy if you ask me. I for one didn't lose one match until i got to the big gwent tournament.

I guess you would have some trouble if you don't have the cards you can get in the earlier area's. Having said that, my advise would simply be to do those quests and get those cards. It shouldn't be hard at all.

A few little suggestions for enhancing Gwent

Hello,

First off I just want to say what an excellent job you all did, game is FANNNNTASTIC!

I've really been getting into playing Gwent, but have a few issues I'm hoping you'll agree can be easily "fixed".

1 - In regards to the merchants/non-quest Gwent players, I'd like it to be clearer who I've already won a card from... Maybe a checkmark next to the "Let's play gwent" dialogue entry?

2 - This might be too "mood breaking", so maybe have an option to toggle this on/off: make it clear on the map who plays Gwent, maybe have a small card overlayed on the pre-existing map icons? (can be grey or white depending on if you already won a card from that NPC)

3 - Maybe have a "suggest deck power" indicator next to that "let's play" dialogue line. Or just a color code like you have for quests. (probably another "toggleable" option type feature, I can see this breaking the mood for some.)

Thanks for looking!
And thanks again CDPR for this amazing product!!!

For playable deck diversity I'd like to see: You win this round when you're x points ahead of your opponent rule. Currently the spy cards are way overpowered and those monster swarm decks are pretty horrible. This rule will fix both problems and add a new strategic dimension to the game ;). Moreover, it won't make going second such a huge advantage.

haha, yeah this was mentioned before, with a dude even showing off his programming mad skillz... unfortunatelly, dude knew how to program, but not check his OTHER faction card sets -.-.

Anyway, Theres 4 card factions, when you receive a new card it may be - if not in the northern faction, it may be in the monsters, scoiatel, or nilfgaardian faction. I also thought they were bugged, but figured it out myself.

I actually completed all the first quests about collecting new cards and still, my deck is really underpowered in front of all my new "enemies".
I now have 2 spies, 1 medic who can ress a card, all the usual wheter card and Vernon Roche card (it's the only 10 atk card i have for now) while my foes have AT LEAST 2 or 3 10 atk cards, 1 or 2 baits (i only have one), 2 3 spies plus other random cards with 8 atk...is just impossible...even with my best studied strategies.

I always try to challege every single npc with whom i can play cards, and even when i win they only gave me crappy cards or cards that i already have but never something really usefull...i'm still stucked with the imperial deck since i still haven't got enough cards to try the other type of decks (scoiatel, monster etc etc witch, in my opinion, have much better bonuses than the starter type)

as with all card games, card draw is the key, I destroy everyone in gwent just from playing a few draw two cards at the start of the game. Often the AI will hold when they have my spies on their end and I can easily reach over their hold and win that first round. Playing Northren realms then makes me draw extra card and volla I'm in round two with advantage in cards and all my strong hero/medic cards left.

It's also a good idea to bring a dummy to steal the AI card draw up into your hand a play it yourself. The more cards you have the more likely you are too win even if it means throwing away the first game although I rarely have to do that

I believe getting the siegemaster commander card and the 2 catapults(1 way at the start) made a huge difference for my starting deck. I believe you can get the siegemaster from some nobleman in vizima (you might want to look that up though).
Just make sure the enemy cant blow up multiple of your double power siege cards and you'll at least win one round. If you play it efficiently you'll have more cards left for the remaining round and you should win.

Also don't underestimate the power of decoy.

Last edited:
[Petition] in a future update to able to aquire all missable gwent cards!

I.e. New vendor or new nice that drop them!
I love gwent but knowing I'm. Not going to get the full collection is so annoying!

Gwent newbie question

Hi guys.

Only just got to Oxenfurt and went to play Gwent with the Blacksmith.

Question: Anyone you can play Gwent with, if you beat them do you have to play them again for any reason, or is just for winning cards.

Is it random if they give you cards for winning fpr example?

Thanks

Top Bottom