Gwent - Gaming With Elves, Nilfgaardians & Things

+

Gwent - Gaming With Elves, Nilfgaardians & Things

• Yes, I enjoy resting in a medieval setting, keep it authentic for Wiedźmin, knaves & fools, please.

Votes: 138 82.1%
  • No, I want all the bells & whistles of a modern cardgame, Witcher: The Huntering, please.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Don't Care, not in the books - won't be touching your damn cards anyway, boooos, hisssses.

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters
Och, I can imagine the army marching getting waylaid by monsters... again, not an issue for me. Ever happened in the books?

Och, I can imagine the army marching getting waylaid by monsters... again, not an issue for me. Ever happened in the books?

Why would the dwarfs make a card game about the creatures from No Mans Land? There aren't even any dwarf settlements nearby and it wasn't even called No Man's Land until the war ( I think?). In the books it's described as a normal card game with fancier than normal cards. As in the cards are ace of spades or four of clover.

If this card isn't a multiplayer component then it goes agains the core principles they talk about in interviews, which is immersion ,realism,attention to detail and the gameworld making sense and being belivable.

It makes me believe that it was tacked on by marketing people who want to turn TW into a "huge franchise" which is why they will monetize and sell this card game separately and why that MOBA nobody asked for exists.

I would prefer authenticity in terms of style and design, although I won't hold it against CDPR if that won't be the case. I agree with @EmperorZorn on this one -- I'd be glad to have extra content such as this card game even if it won't perfectly correspond the lore and world.

If someone finds it too much of an immersion-breaker, consider suspending your disbelief as you often do with elements such as HUD and main menu (inventory, journal, GPS map etc).

Its a battle simulator involving factions that have fought battles in the world, if we accept the logic of such a game in the world at all, it follows that people who have fought for those factions in those battles will be recognised in the cards, whether they are alive or dead. There should be plenty to choose from, we also don't know how many hero - character - cards there are, I was personally assuming just a few.
The problem is that, according to description, Gwent was
Invented by dwarves and perfected over centuries of tavern table play
So Geralt and other characters, which are not centuries years old can't be in the game, even as a tribute to well known legends. Of course you can say that there was originally, for example "Witcher" hero card, which later became "Geralt" hero card. But in this case it should be mentioned somehow.

And maybe the dwarves came up with a new version to reflect the current political situation.

I rather hope we don't see a witcher or Geralt hero card, considering they are their own faction.

How do you know she's in the game?

Moderator: Discussion on this topic should cease before we get too deep into unwanted spoilers or leaked material. This means do not answer this question.

Do not demand information about characters not already confirmed by materials revealed to the public in due course, and do not respond to such demands.

Last edited:
I'm not sure where this thread is going anymore, even before the spoiler alert. I'm glad I'm too thick to understand what that was all about. Let's go back to discussing the poll. And if all has been said, let the votes do the talking.
Well, at least the devs got some feedback to sift through. :happy:

Last edited:
Voted..ofc my vote would go to "be fitting with the setting and time" :) otherwise it would be interesting to see their creativity but I don't know if I would like something so modern in such a time as the witcher's :l If they insist in making it in a modern style, let it be additional as the arena's mini adventure type of thing.

The idea is great!! But I fear the delivery may be a bit immersion breaking and out of place , The nilffgardian empire, scoiatel, and NK are modern factions and it feels a bit unrealistic that they should be called that, it would be weird if White and Black in chess were called France and England for example, it would feel more realistic if the factions were something that every race and nation would have no problem relating to, like in cyvasse (Song of Ice and Fire) for example

I'm glad I'm too thick to understand what that was all about.

Not thick mate, I am as confused as you ;)

Let's go back to discussing the poll.

Yes, please everyone, this is not the place for any comments surrounding the game other than its INGAME implementation, as was specifically stated in the OP. Other comments outside the bounds requested can FUDge the issue and scare the more sensitive among us. This thread was a chance for everyone to contribute & discuss it, gather their thoughts, and the Poll question couldn't be clearer on what its about.

I feel its necessary to repeat myself a little in case anyone missed it. Taking the description given to us by CDPRED of Gwent as a Battle Simulator and perfected over centuries (I read that as: a continuing, evolving development), it would be quite natural and acceptable for it to have representatives of the Factions who have fought in their respective ranks recognised as "heroes" in the cards, whether they are alive or dead. This would be analogous to singing songs of battles praising those heroes. There is no reason to suspect there will be a multitude of such heroes, in fact its far more likely the majority of cards will be "rank & file", and no need to represent every character in the game, no matter their selling point outside.

This is not billed as a "World of Witcher" card game that requires everything in it, and its wrong to make that assumption, imo.

Geralt won't be in it - I refuse to believe CDPRED would make such a mistake - and hasn't Dandelion sung songs praising Geralt while he's still alive, even right in front of him? Whats the difference between that & some hero of a battle immortalised on a card?

The idea is great!! But I fear the delivery may be a bit immersion breaking and out of place , The nilffgardian empire, scoiatel, and NK are modern factions and it feels a bit unrealistic that they should be called that, it would be weird if White and Black in chess were called France and England for example, it would feel more realistic if the factions were something that every race and nation would have no problem relating to, like in cyvasse (Song of Ice and Fire) for example

Or they can just concentrate on unit cards instead of factions. Like chess. Both opponents have pawn classes, knight classes, mage classes or something equivalent and so on.

There is really not any reason topical characters or factions cannot appear on playing cards. It's been done for hundreds of years in the real world. I do not believe the "perfected by dwarves over hundreds of years" extends to anything more than the size, shape, ranks, and suits; it certainly would not extend to figures predominantly of interest to dwarves.

Absent a modern, worldwide printing industry and distributors, there is no reason playing cards would be anything other than that which local artist-printers designed to sell locally and currently. There is no reason current heroes would not appear on such cards; on the contrary, it would make them all the more attractive.

Example: 17th-18th C. England; Continental cards were even more likely to feature current or topical characters or humor.

Last edited:
Cards go back to medieval England do they not? As long as the art design is appropriate, ie woodcut design or hand painted, I'm fine with them being a part of the world. I wouldn't even see it as a bad MP addition to the game. Imagine taking a break from your adventures to relax at the Inn and hook up with other players online. Could be pretty cool.
I so want this!
This would be my other dream for this game, if we had some online MP free roam/ card games/ horse race/ boat race/ fist fights/ dice poker/ arm wrestling/ monster hunting with friends online with head sets.
If CDPR did it kinda like RDR style, it would kick so much ass!;)

Last edited:
@Guy N'wah

Yes but isn't that just the styling of the cards? What I mean is that in a game invented by dwarves many years ago having a faction called Scoiatel(a group which was founded maybe 10 years before the game) is a bit out of place imo, of course nothing would keep people from changing the game in accordance to the times, but imo it would be cooler if we got the feeling that the game is ancient and lets say "deep in the depths of the lore" instead of right on its surface (hope you get what I mean, its kind of a bad way to express it I know)

I did not know that @Guy N'wah. Good point. I thought this was a 'new' invention. That is, printing cards with depictions of 'most wanted' or, and I can't imagine why someone hasn't said it yet - naked women. In other words sex cards. If the latter we at least got great ones from Witcher 1. I reckon who will be depicted on the queen of hearts. ^_^ Or wait...right, that isn't something the forum is unanimous on. ^_^

@Guy N'wah

Yes but isn't that just the styling of the cards? What I mean is that in a game invented by dwarves many years ago having a faction called Scoiatel(a group which was founded maybe 10 years before the game) is a bit out of place imo, of course nothing would keep people from changing the game in accordance to the times, but imo it would be cooler if we got the feeling that the game is ancient and lets say "deep in the depths of the lore" instead of right on its surface (hope you get what I mean, its kind of a bad way to express it I know)

I guess...valid point. Maybe some driven human noble with a business sense approached a dwarf and said: "Hey dwarf! I have an idea of how to further this game, and make it up to date with human affairs." And out comes the gold...or threats. Not all are as brave to stand up against humans as the blacksmith in Flotsam did. Besides, just because dwarves invented and perfected it over the centuries doesn't mean a human couldn't develop upon it, and turn the game to something else in recent days.

And with the war and all...earning coin is important. At least in Novigrad the decks have Emhyr depicted as the 'knave' or something less flattering.

And then the game with its new factions caught on, namely because of jokes or puns or ridiculing art of cards. Say a low-valued card get a Iorveth depiction, much like the one on his wanted poster? Just a thought.
Me, I'm good with nice rustic images of (unknown and generic) knights and archers and mages and sorceresses and knaves and kings and queens and..... :rolleyes:

Just saw this in the interviews page :

http://www.nag.co.za/2014/08/29/lets-talk-to-cd-projekt-about-the-witcher-3/

"So every time we design something we remember that we want to keep the world believable. "
"NAG: Alright, then we have a reader on Facebook called Charl du Preez and he asks: will you still be able to play dice poker?
MS: I don’t think so. We still have the fist-fighting mini game, which doesn’t have QTEs in it anymore; it’s all tactical. We also have boat racing and horse racing. We also have another game that’s a card game. It’s a collectable card game that’s inside the game, and that will replace the dice poker.
NAG: A collectable card game within the game? So you’ll find cards around the world, and then build a deck to play the game?
MS: Yes! Something like that, but I can’t tell you much more than that!"

Man that's disappointing. I can't believe they removed Dice poker. If it "replaces dice poker" Then it's not gonna be online isn't it?

- Looting cards of bodies.
- Cards with characters from the books and games such as Keira Metz
- modern looking things straight out of modern social games
- 2 attack 3 defense special abilitity descriptions
- playing Magic the fucking gathering around medieval inns with your dwarf bros

just...why.

"So every time we design something we remember that we want to keep the world believable"
I want to believe that he "can't tell us more" because they're waiting for a MP card game reveal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom