Gwent - Gaming With Elves, Nilfgaardians & Things

+

Gwent - Gaming With Elves, Nilfgaardians & Things

• Yes, I enjoy resting in a medieval setting, keep it authentic for Wiedźmin, knaves & fools, please.

Votes: 138 82.1%
  • No, I want all the bells & whistles of a modern cardgame, Witcher: The Huntering, please.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Don't Care, not in the books - won't be touching your damn cards anyway, boooos, hisssses.

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters
This is slightly off-topic, but yes there is an RPG element (although very basic) to the game.
You basically level up your hero and earn gold to buy new cards.

But I'd recommend you to give it a shot, it's a free game and it's a lot of fun, in a very tactical way.

So, I've now given Hearthstone a try, it's been on my system for a month, I've opened up all the heros, and played a few online matches, and to be completely honest it got old and tedious very quickly. Just my experience, only my opinion, but it's not even close to the strategic quality, gameplay variation, and replay value of M:TG. Without the online component it holds no interest beyond a few hours play for me, and even with it, nah.

So, I've now given Hearthstone a try, it's been on my system for a month, I've opened up all the heros, and played a few online matches, and to be completely honest it got old and tedious very quickly. Just my experience, only my opinion, but it's not even close to the strategic quality, gameplay variation, and replay value of M:TG. Without the online component it holds no interest beyond a few hours play for me, and even with it, nah.

Too bad. But will Gwent be like Heartstone? I honestly have no idea what to expect from Gwent, or playing a Witcher game without dice poker.

What made me return to this thread was me remembering this from Rage:

Will Gwent be similar?

Speculation of course, but you know how much I like the exercise :)

I don't think Gwent will be like Hearthstone. I don't have much solid evidence for that though other than this part of the description:
- Powerful spells allow players to control the weather and affect units on the battlefield.

You could imagine that different spells could effect your units differently, adding a layer of strategy, variation, replay, and all that good stuff that HS frankly doesn't have at all. M:TG doesn't have that either, but it has many other things to make up for it, in particular wildly different card decks to play. I wouldn't expect such wildness from Gwent though, so at the minute I'm placing Gwent somewhere between the two games. The concept as described definitely has promise, I can't in all decency recommend trying HS though. I'm not taking this opportunity to bash that particular game, just being thorough in my description, and I found it an extremely weak game, with zero originality or unique contribution to the genre.

Rage Frenzy... for all we know Gwent will play a bit like that too, I mean it appears a bit more like battle lines doesn't it? M:TG isn't conceptually like that, you are warring Mages who conjure various spells that sometimes include physical warriors, sometimes don't. You could imagine HS to be a battle lines game, but it doesn't play like that either, its more like M:TG, with a main character whose death is the endgame. We do not yet know if Gwent has such a focus.

TL/DR I remain hopeful for Gwent, I still play M:TG occasionally, and HS has now been uninstalled.

"I played the Gwent card game. It's got depth and you'll collect cards as you adventure. Broadly it has three lines of card - melee, ranged, siege - and you play cards from your hand in each one. Their point score is what counts, but they also have special abilities that affect other lines. Your hero has special powers too.

You can overload the lines with cards but then you risk not having anything for the subsequent rounds, plus, a special ability may suddenly render a whole line useless anyway.

It was enjoyable."

I'm excited. Loved the card games and collecting cards for my deck in Kotor and Final Fantasy 8
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2015-01-26-the-witcher-3-wild-hunt (comment section)

From one of the previews:

We did experience Gwent, The Witcher 3’s ancient dwarven card game that simulates two armies meeting on the battlefield. Each player becomes a general and attempts to defeat the other using various troop cards. You begin by drawing 10 cards that makes up your hand for the entire match. There are unit cards like the Kaedweni Siege Expert, who offers a morale boost, and weather cards like Biting Frost that affect every card on the battlefield. Each deck comes with Heroes, high value cards immune to different effects. Moreover, players begin with two Life Gems, and lose one each time he or she loses a round. Once both Life Gems are gone, it’s game over; if things look grim or you want to crush your adversary, consider playing the Leader card, which comes with a powerful special ability you’re free to use once during battle.

Beyond that, you’re free to build decks for the following factions, each of which possesses a unique ability:

• Nilfgaard: Wins any round that ends in a draw.
  • Northern Realms: Grants an extra card after every victorious round.
  • Monsters: Decides who takes the first turn in battle.
  • Scoia’tael: Keeps a random Unit Card on the battlefield after each round.

We’d love to tell you more, but it was tough to comprehend the rules in such a limited amount of time. We do know that you’re able to earn cards from completing quests and buying them from vendors, so Gwent goes much deeper than simply finding an NPC willing to play. It seems CD Projekt RED intends to make it a separate game entirely.

Last edited:
I think Gwent will be responsible for me spending hours in the game and not doing anything. :p
I guess I will be actively finding cards and deck building.

Attachments

• 2015-01-27_214213.jpg
    2015-01-27_214213.jpg
    341.9 KB · Views: 49
Don't you think that this card design doesn't really fit into game universe? It may look nice for a teenager, but not for a grown-up. Compare it to a gameboard's design from the previous parts.

Yea I'm really not a fan. Seems like the design on the physical cards in the X1 CE matches the in-game cards, which I was really hoping wasn't going to be the case.

Oh well, as long as Gwent is actually fun, it's not a huge deal, but it's definitely very unfitting artwork (Especially seems like a waste when you've got such incredibly talented artists that CDPR have).

My favorite game board was from witcher 1. However This game Gwent could still be fun, it just wont have the same IN-FICTION fun as say the minigames in assassins creed, or previous witcher minigames. still it doesnt really have to. I do wish the artwork was a little more in fiction tho, since maybe it looks like they just cropped concept art in ways they were never intended to be cropped.

I am positive about the card game. It looks like fun and I am happy that they bring something new into the game to kill some time in the taverns and whatnot.

Like others I don't feel the layout however does the game justice. I much rather that they for example had made it so we saw Geralts hands holding the cards sitting at a table in a tavern with his opponent on the others side. The cards being played on the table among some dim candlelight and mugs full of mead. Money thrown at the table as you raise the game and so on. Then as you get better and win more you start to gather a crowd around you at the table.

I think it would have been more immersive that way.

Don't you think that this card design doesn't really fit into game universe? It may look nice for a teenager, but not for a grown-up. Compare it to a gameboard's design from the previous parts.

Art design has nothing to do with how old one is...

If you want to discuss whether the art style fits the universe that's ok. Just skip the "I'm too old for that style" part... ;)

By the way, have you guys seen that in different language versions of the latest trailer different Gwent cards were shown?

These are the known cards together with their scores:

• Miserable Foot Soldier "De Mes Deux (?)" -> 1
  • Redanian Foot Soldier (design 1) -> 1
  • Redanian Soot soldier (design 2) -> 1
  • Kaedweni Siege Expert -> 1
  • Dwarf -> 2
  • Blue Stripes commando -> 4
  • Sheldon Skaggs -> 4
  • Sabrina Glevissig -> 4
  • Ves -> 5
  • Prince Stennis -> 5
  • Keira Metz -> 5
  • Sheala de Tancarville -> 5
  • Siegfried of Denesle -> 5
  • Ballista -> 6
  • Trébuchet -> 6
  • Detmold-> 6
  • Heavy Rain -> special card (?)

;)

I'm completely ok with this. I like the idea of a Witcher MTG type deal way more so than dice or poker. I've never play those mini games in any game I've played, where as I can see myself spending hours on Gwent

I think outside of the witcher game, cards like "ves" would make sense .. But inside the game ? I hope there isnt a geralt card or smth like this... That would be ridiculus.. Just Imagine geralt using those cards .. lol ..

Geralt: My turn im using the geralt card now xD
Ves: Ok here comes the Ves card :D

I kinda dislike this idea ... it shouldnt be there ... out of place imo .. destroys immersion for me .. .. I will probably pretend it does not exist ( but will probably force myself to ignore this fact, because for completions sake

Last edited:
Whilst an 'authentic' set of stylised cards (similar to the art on the boxes the dice were rolled in for previous games) would be fantastic, my main priority is for this game to simply be fun. I can take the more 'modern' presentation.

I liked Pazaak from the KotOR games and, nostalgia might be playing a part here, the card game from Final Fantasy 8. I spent silly amounts of time trying to win unique cards off the most obscure NPC's in that game. I loved it and still remember the mini-game intro music with fondness. If Gwent is close to that, I'll be very happy.

Last edited:
The only problem I have with the cards is that they break the 4th wall - which is a pretty bad thing.

The same card game with different cards would be totally ok (I have no problem with the design, it's at least consistent with the rest of the UI). Hope there will be a mod for it, changing characters like Ves and others to more "neutral" or really famous (historic) people of the witcher world.

The only problem I have with the cards is that they break the 4th wall - which is a pretty bad thing.

The same card game with different cards would be totally ok (I have no problem with the design, it's at least consistent with the rest of the UI). Hope there will be a mod for it, changing characters like Ves and others to more "neutral" or really famous (historic) people of the witcher world.

That what I thought too... that would be fine ... The design is just small flaw for me, the (out of game-reality) cards are the game breaker...

Last edited:
Would have said yes if there were not main characters on card. Why would people play cards with Ves on it??

Top Bottom