Gwent - Gaming With Elves, Nilfgaardians & Things

+

Gwent - Gaming With Elves, Nilfgaardians & Things

• Yes, I enjoy resting in a medieval setting, keep it authentic for Wiedźmin, knaves & fools, please.

Votes: 138 82.1%
  • No, I want all the bells & whistles of a modern cardgame, Witcher: The Huntering, please.

Votes: 20 11.9%
  • Don't Care, not in the books - won't be touching your damn cards anyway, boooos, hisssses.

Votes: 10 6.0%

• Total voters
I'd like a "monster Gwent" for example, in which there are monsters shown on the card and no soldiers, sorcerers and people from the games. Would fit a lot more to the world imo without breaking the fourth wall. And they cards should look "worn" and "used" like cards people play with a lot and keep with them while travelling. They should also feature an art style that represent a hand-made nature which means drawn pictures and fonts that look like they were manually written instead of made by 21th century real-world photoshop...
So true. Too late to change anything now I guess.

:huh:

Last edited:
When they announced gwent I was hoping for some historical figures from Witcher's world: Raffard the White, Agnes of Glanville, marshal Raupenneck.....

Oh well...We can't have everything I suppose...

At least we (if you are a PC gamer) can have mods. Can't wait for a historical or monsters only version. :)

Btw, the more I hear and read about Gwent the more I get the feeling that it could be a really good game on its own. Problem is that it probably should be a game on and of its own. The bigger and more sophisticated it gets the more it feels "pushed" into Witcher 3, espcecially with these 4th wall breaking issues and the completely unfitting art design.

And the more I think about it the more I feel Gwent should actually be cut from the game in its current version altogether and just be transfered into a stand-alone game that people can play without having to start Witcher 3. Just make it a free to play game like Hearthstone, CDPR. There is already a Witcher moba and a Witcher board game. So why not just making Gwent a Witcher card game on its own? I just doesn't fit into W3 in its current form. It feels and looks out of place there, a probable source of 4th wall breaking and immersion loss.

And give us back dice poker instead. :p

Last edited:
At least we (if you are a PC gamer) can have mods. Can't wait for a historical or monsters only version.
I hope so...
I guess it wouldn't be too hard to mod the cards - for talented modder, of course...
It's just a redesign, retexture - not some complicated gameplay overhaul...

I hope so...
I guess it wouldn't be too hard to mod the cards - for talented modder, of course...
It's just a redesign, retexture - not some complicated gameplay overhaul...

Well, you'd need at least some talented artist to do all the drawings if you want to remodel the cards...and since there are a lot of cards it'd be a lot of work, I guess...

Well, you'd need at least some talented artist to do all the drawings if you want to remodel the cards...and since there are a lot of cards it'd be a lot of work, I guess...

Hmm... this 'complain' is raised quite often... I'm myself not big fun of the creative (I would prefer something more fitting the game itself).
I wouldn't be surprised if one of the DLC is new card creative (why? well because you know devs are listening to us...).

OK, OK I would really love if that happens.... :D

Any news On Gwynt? (Come here Gwynt Enthusiasts)

Nevermind my earlier post

But having read this thread fully now, I think the whole card being modern thin is not a dealbreaker. At the end of the day, you only need to play it if you are going for 100% completion, which isn't even possible in at least one playthough if quests are locked off or added based on other quests. The only thing that sort of sucks is the loss of dice, and if there is more complexity and fun to be had at the end of the day with Gwynt then dice, I will not lament it.

Last edited:
There is not much point in saying what should have happened now the game has gone gold. At this point, it's set.

My point is: we can lament what could have or should have been, or we can concentrate more on how it will be now but let people know your opinions for in future. Or mod it on PC of course, but if Console those are your only options.

My personal opinion on game immersion is that fun trumps immersion. Every time. That's not to say immersion is not important. it is. But the key question in all of this to ME is not "Does Gwynt fit in this world?" But rather "Is Gwynt FUN?" If it's fun, I can honestly forgive it not fitting or even removing dice.

I'd like the cards to look something like this (Medieval Scapini Tarot):

The fact that "recent" heroes from The Witcher universe will be included in Gwent already completely break the immersion, so Ill be honest, couldn't give less of a shit whether or not the design of the cards fits the era, let alone the mechanics... It's a game within a game and it has to look clear, so yeah, big numbers and descriptions in "Times New Roman".

Last edited:

looks like it doesn't have any of the indicators to the in-game characters playing the Gwent. that's pretty reasonable to me, although the art style could be a little more period. looks like all the meanings behind the cards are relevant to the player (you, not Geralt) as a means of UI :)

as for having characters we know in there... that is a little weird. but if the game is fun, as someone above has posted, i'm willing to overlook it.

Attachments

• image of stuff.jpg
    image of stuff.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 55
@mecha_fish That's actually a pretty good catch, kudos for that :) But yeah, the recent characters being in the game might be a little bit of an immersion breaker. Like you said though, I'm willing to work with the game and overlook that fact, if it is fun (Which I'm sure it will be :) )

looks like it doesn't have any of the indicators to the in-game characters playing the Gwent. that's pretty reasonable to me, although the art style could be a little more period. looks like all the meanings behind the cards are relevant to the player (you, not Geralt) as a means of UI :)

as for having characters we know in there... that is a little weird. but if the game is fun, as someone above has posted, i'm willing to overlook it.

In that case, any chance you all could RP it as "Geralt Vision" where he envisions how best to defeat his foe and applies his own experiences to the card archtypes? "Okay, the jester card is Dandelion because of course, I can use it for a bonus to my front ragned fighters, the lover card is Yennifer I mean Triiss I mean Yennifer I mean Triss - You know what I'll come back to that one, Spy is Roche...

In that case, any chance you all could RP it as "Geralt Vision" where he envisions how best to defeat his foe and applies his own experiences to the card archtypes? "Okay, the jester card is Dandelion because of course, I can use it for a bonus to my front ragned fighters, the lover card is Yennifer I mean Triiss I mean Yennifer I mean Triss - You know what I'll come back to that one, Spy is Roche...

That's a possible headcanon. It could only be ruined by in game characters discussing the cards themselves. I suspect they won't, though, since in previous games mechanics weren't described to the player verbally, but through UI. So maybe.

It shouldnt be too much of a problem to mod the cards' looks, but yeah its pretty clear they designed them as a game for the player, not for the people that inhabit the fiction world.

thankfully all previews are very positive about it so I'm actually looking forward to play this card game a lot and beat all opponents like with dice in TW1, even when that mini game wasnt good at all.

Top Bottom