+

What name for this group do you prefer?

• 'Safe Space' is good

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 'Friendly Foes' sounds great

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 'Experimental Playgrounds' is hella cool

• I got a better suggestion (leave it in comments)

• Name doesnt matter, i am not interested in the concept

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DRK3

Forum veteran
THE PROBLEM

I just posted a huge rant on these forums, mostly criticizing the Gwent devs... But im not done, this one is on us, the players.

Are you familiar with the concept of 'tragedy of the commons'? If you are not, i suggest you give a quick read on the following link, its a very interesting concept that can be useful in many fields, but im gonna use it now for a parallel on Gwent.

The concept is we live in a community, and when there is a resource available to all, each individual will act selfishly and explore more of that resource for personal gain.
Some individuals might have noble intentions and just take what they need, but when they see others taking more, without immediate consequence,, they feel like fools and end up doing the same. But when everyone does that, that resource will run out in the long term, and everyone is screwed.

Do you see the similarities with Gwent? If not, dont worry, i will share my view:

The resource in question is 'personal deckbuilding', except here it doesnt run out because everyone is doing it, but the opposite.
Some players are more focused on winning, and resort to netdecking. Others prefer to try and explore new things, not so focused on competition.
It would be sustainable if these groups were around 50% each. But when the former is significantly larger than the latter, which is the reality in Gwent, what happens?
The player who wanted to try something interesting is repeatedly matched with players who crush him and dont allow him to do his goal, mostly through control and pushing for 2-0s with the strength of metadecks. The original player is driven to give up on his idea and join the ranks of netdeckers, resulting in the extinction of varied decks.
To think how many times this has happened to new players without them being conscious of the 'big picture', makes me want to cry... :giveup:

THE SOLUTION

Note this is a small scale solution, and wont fix the problem in Gwent globally.
But if you're reading this, congratulations, that solution is available to you if you're interested.

GWENT'S SAFE SPACE
FRIENDLY FOES (name updated 01-10-21)

Its basically a group.
Its not truly new, i wont take credit for the invention of the concept. I've seen it done a few times in posts, mostly on gwent reddit, where players got incredible results, certainly done with the collaboration of a friend in a friendly match. In a controlled environment.
And i suspect the Gwent pro teams or streamer's discord private groups might also do the same ocasionally, but i dont know of anyone doing it publicly, so this what we're doing here!

What am i offering?
A chance to join with other Gwent players to play friendly matches in a controlled setting. To try out all your wild ideas and combos that always get disrupted in ranked or casual matches.
I know non-interactive decks have a bad reputation, usually for being "brainless", but it doesnt have to be this way. Gwent has a huge cardpool by now and +90% of the so called 'meme strategies' are unexplored because they are so wild its completely ridiculous to attempt them in regular matches.
Lets do them, for science, and for art too!

GUIDELINES

Anyone is welcome as long as you follow the rules. You dont need to be an experienced player or have a full card collection.
You dont even need to have meme decks to try of your own, you can just be a witness and help out a fellow player doing his own crazy deck.

2. The default procedure is non-interactivity - no damage, no removal, no locks, no seizes, no banishes. And to go for a standard 10-card R3.
Why R3 and not R1? Because you have thinned and mulliganed on R1 and 2, so its more likely to get all your combo pieces in hand on R3.

3. Players can arrange the conditions of the match before or during the match if necessary, through GOG chat or discord or other way.
The non-interactivity is just a default, but it can be changed into anything, as long as both players agree.
A player can even do a last turn nuke or wipeout if the other agrees, as by then the latter will have finished his combo and got the information needed.

4. Doesnt matter who wins, but you can keep track of the points you got and possibly we include a leaderboard.
This way we might find what's the meme deck with the highest point potential of all!

5. Screenshots, videos or streams of the matches can be shared anywhere if both players are aware and agree to do so. In fact, i encourage you to do so. :beer:

-------------------------------------------------------

If you're interested or just curious what this will be, just post on this thread saying you want to be a part of it AND say if you think making a discord channel for it is a good idea (to organize matches better), please.

Members will add each other on GOG to allow friendly matches. Hopefully 'Safe Space' (the name might change) will expand outside the borders of this forum, but lets start here for now...

I will wait for responses until Sunday night/ Monday, then the 'Safe Space' will begin. I already have 2 decks in mind... :smart:

Last edited:
I'm in. Been looking for something like this but never thought to try and set it up on my own. I have a couple of dewcks in development already that should be fun for this. Be nice to play some fun decks with different varieties of intereaction.

I like control way too much to be interested, but I do think it's a really cool idea and I hope it turns out to be a success. :)

Also, I feel obliged to comment that if you do create a Discord server for this, please don't post the invite link publicly on the forums as we'll have to remove it as advertising.

But yeah, good luck with this project!

Excellent initiative, @DRK3, although I find it a little bit too restrictive to become interested in joining. For instance, unable to do damage may hamper a few other decks that are not necessarily oppressive even though I understand the reasons you put it as a rule. On the other hand, if a bunch of cards of every faction were banned in order to play in Safe Space, that'd be a whole different story (and I would definitely try to participate).

I figure we'd reach a consensus of cards to prohibit pretty quick, too. There goes my two cents.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Excellent initiative, @DRK3, although I find it a little bit too restrictive to become interested in joining. For instance, unable to do damage may hamper a few other decks that are not necessarily oppressive even though I understand the reasons you put it as a rule. On the other hand, if a bunch of cards of every faction were banned in order to play in Safe Space, that'd be a whole different story (and I would definitely try to participate).

I figure we'd reach a consensus of cards to prohibit pretty quick, too. There goes my two cents.

Thank you.
I wrote the rules pretty quickly, and probably wasnt clear enough, i might still update them, by adding new ones and changing the existing ones.

The goal of Safe Space is to NOT be restrictive. The lack of disruption tactics like damage is a default option, not a strict rule - if both players talk and agree beforehand (possibly explaining what their goal is), damage or any form of control can be used.

No cards or factions need to be banned, the main goal is to let each other pull their crazy combos, so the only enemy is the RNG.

Also, i stress this group is casual, in the sense you're not forced to play anytime or contribute a quota of matches.
You can enter or leave anytime. But its based on cooperation and if someone helped you 3 times, you help him 3 times, and so on. Thats why non interactive matchesfor Safe Space are the easiest logistically, as both players are getting their goal.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Im gonna be honest: i didnt expect this project to be a huge hit from the get-go, but i did hope for at least 6-7 players interested straight away... :giveup:

Still, i wont be demotivated by this little setback, ive got plenty of faith in the potential of this endeavour, when the screenshots of the results start to come in, which will make the content of the Great Dandelion Show pale in comparison, we hopefully start filling our ranks.

Maybe at some point later on i'll try to invite some other Gwent partners to try this, and expand the visibility of the format.

@Aris_Tarkus Ive been away from my PC this weekend, i dont know if you have already sent me a GOG friend invite, if you didnt, go ahead, tomorrow (or today since its past midnight, at least here) we shall dayview Safe Space, hope you got your stuff ready, if you havent, no problem, we can wait, do my stuff in the meantime or ill help you deckbuild and strategize, if you wish.

Ready to roll. Looking forward to trying a couple of these decks—I have 6 ready to roll—as a couple of them are going to be a great deal of fun if I can pull it off.
Post automatically merged:

The first day of matches between DRK and myself was quite a bit of fun. Amazing the numbers that turned up. DRK3 took some screenshots that will be forthcoming.

I found through the course of play in this type of environment that I was more willing to try new combinations and experiments. A couple of them failed miserably. But others, both mine and DRK3's show quite a bit of promise, potentially even in ranked. This was the most fun I have had playing in a while with not having to be so concerned about the outcome. And it beat the hell out of Draft mode.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
'Safe Space' is oficially open!

Thanks to @Aris_Tarkus , we already played a few matches and tried our wild combos on, with more to come soon.
If you still want to finetune your decks, feel free to do so, and choose if and when you want to describe your decks goals and strategies here.

A Million Drops of Snow - Success.jpg

On my side, i present you the 1st Safe Space deck creation:
'A Million Drops of Snow'

It looks like somethng out of Plus One seasonal mode, but i assure you this is standard mode.
What actually inspired this style of deck was the Vypper deck, except here getting the gold (Snowdrop in this case) you want on your side is trickier than just discarding it.
You can find the guide for building this type of decks here:

Penitent 7 - the setup.jpg

Penitent 7 - result.jpg

This is my 'Penitent Seven' deck.

Penitent is a 7provision unit, with a deathwish that summons other 7pr units from deck.
So this deck uses 7 7pr units - including Penitent itself (all can be seen on last screenshot) - plays 3 Penitents with the help of Idarran and Caranthir, then Ritual Sacrifice for the first 3, then consume them for the last 3 (i had one in hand, hence why i didnt consume the last penitent.
This deck is fun but a mulligan nightmare, overswarms and hyperthins too much (almost got it to 0, not my intention). :shrug:

Attachments

• Penitent 7 - result.jpg
    Penitent 7 - result.jpg
    840.4 KB · Views: 60
  • RED Point
Reactions: rrc

DRK3

Forum veteran
Come on guys, 'Safe Space' needs more players to start thriving (pun intended).

Is it the name that is kinda lame? I picked it a bit as a joke, a South Park reference in case someone saw that episode. But i can change it to something cooler, the name doesnt matter, only the concept.

I call on all players who are tired of the meta and want to try something different. Think of this as a different, user-made mode.

Also, i want to start listing decks and archetypes that are engine-heavy and test which ones have the highest ceilings. Yup, this is not just for memes. If you like any of the following decks and want to test them yourself (you use one of these, i use another and remember, "friendly" versions), you would be helping me out a lot.

DECKS TO TEST POINT POTENTIAL:

NR:
-Shields Roegner
-Double Coen + boost overload

SK:
-Beasts (crow swarm)

NG:
-Assimilate (w Operator)

MO:
-Kiki Queen
-Relicts

ST:
-Dwarves
-Aglais

SY:
-Firesworn
-Igor Townsfolk

If i missed some - that doesnt involve disrupting opponent and has big ceiling - please let me know so i can update this.

Another one fo rme would be NR Archgriffin Overload.
I can already work a Crow Swarm for SK, and I am going to modify my Dwarf deck for this as well.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Some new results from Safe Space matches done yesterday:

Desert Treasure Deck - Match 1 (After).jpg

Desert Treasure Spam vs Dwarves Armor (and Iris Shade finisher).
Unfortunately on my side, setting this up takes too much space, plus the desert treasures themselves occupy one slot so space is definitely an issue.

Cahir Regis vs Archgriffin (After - Shield stopped drain).jpg

Cahir Regis vs Archgriffin witchers.
I found out shields (which i gave to the NG knight i boosted the whole round, when i used Sangreal on him) apparently stop Regis effect, which is a drain but acts like its a damage :giveup:

Would love to see more people sign up for this as it is a great way to explore card combinations and experiment.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Added a poll, i would love to get as many answers as possible.

I am surprised we havent had more interested players. I know for a fact that a LOT of players are tired of the meta, and crave for something different, so i have to assume most users are unaware of this project.

I urge everyone to try it. Its free, it can be tried quickly, if you dont like it, you can leave it anytime.

I wont add rewards for participating as i believe in the value of the concept, and luring users in such way would undermine its goal and wouldnt be sustainable. However in the longterm, if a larger group was assembled, i do think it would be cool to have leaderboards and weekly contests (i would do the data, users just provided their scores) and reward the best with Shupe's shop Powder-bought cosmetics.

Hi DRK3, I like the idea of community / forum games, but I'm not entirely sold on the current concept.

I enjoy cards like Regis that do damage and potentially can wipe the board, but are conditional. Those decks are also out of the meta. Another example is Scorch. I haven't played against Scorch in ages and I see Igni very rarely. Salamander is also a meme and while I saw some decklist posted, I have to admit I never saw the card during one of my online games. I haven't faced a single opponent with Salamander, not even when the card was released.

The goal of Safe Space is to NOT be restrictive. The lack of disruption tactics like damage is a default option, not a strict rule - if both players talk and agree beforehand (possibly explaining what their goal is), damage or any form of control can be used.

I think it's hard to draw a line and agree on the acceptable amount of control in a deck to be played in a "safe" environment. To align units for a Scorch / Regis / Igni, a lot of 1/2 damage ping are required. This can lead of course to some interruption of the opponent gameplan, which might hinder his/her crazy combo. For this reason I think, it's easier to ban single cards: i.e. no Tunnel Drill, Heatwave,...

I'd rather see a set of community games, in which we have some cards to be included (for example one copy of Geralt and either Yen/Triss/ Shani). Another alternative could be a set of games linked by a story. A bit like Thronebreaker, you start with a lower provision and based on the win/loss ratio you can "unlock" more provision or specific characters.

That's said I'm avaiable to test "Safe Space" as it is. I think I could try a Crow deck! :facepalm:

Haven't seen a scorch deck in forever it seems. I happen to be one of those who does run a Salamander deck, and my SY deck doesn't run any of the familiar subjects like Drill, Whoreson etc.

I would also welcome friendly matches with damage where we can try out new combos and the like. Interesting that you never see any talk of scrimming groups anymore...

rrc

Forum veteran
Dear @DRK3, I have opened this thread multiple times to give some of opinions, but somehow didn't get to write or finish.. I chose the option "I have a better name" in this poll, but honestly I don't have a better one. I thought "Safe Space" is exact opposite of what you are trying to achieve, right? You want people to go crazy with their crazy memes or big combos which will play for crazy values, right? So, why not call/name it accordingly? I don't know if people will give importance to the names, but "Safe Space" may hurt some people's ego (Don't ask me when I graduated in psychology.. I didn't.. it is all just assumptions :p)

When I read the thread for the first time, half way through, I was thinking "I can use this to play the 3xCatWitcherMentor, 2x Sentry, 2xMatrons, 2xCatWitcher with Gaetan" in a long R3, but then it said "absolutely no damage". I think people already mentioned about these restrictions and you replied that you will think about it.

If we shouldn't interact with the opponent side of the board, it is like playing how a Solitaire isn't it? IMHO, it is like just playing against the BOT which hardly does anything meaningful and you are guaranteed to get full round control you want.

What you can do is, to ban a certain set of cards. Or make the players who want to participate in requesting what to do and what not to do. (What if I want to see how my deck fares against some specific heavy control decks?)

Let the players tell what they want to try and what they want to face and if someone matches the requirements, they can schedule games with themselves. Something like that. The set of rules, mainly, the no interactivity and a long R3 is just too restrictive to try some good decks.

I am sorry for this post, but I just wanted to share my humble opinion.

Haven't seen a scorch deck in forever it seems.
I was running some "secret Scorch" deck until I realized the following:
  • scorch is 11 provision and you can burn your own unit
  • Igni is 10 provision and it bricks only against no units decks. In the worse case scenario is a 2 pt card.
I really miss the old times where removal had some huge drawback and people (myself included) were scorhing their own units.
Interesting that you never see any talk of scrimming groups anymore...
What are scrimming groups?

Top Bottom