+

What name for this group do you prefer?

• 'Safe Space' is good

Votes: 1 9.1%
  • 'Friendly Foes' sounds great

Votes: 3 27.3%
  • 'Experimental Playgrounds' is hella cool

• I got a better suggestion (leave it in comments)

• Name doesnt matter, i am not interested in the concept

Votes: 1 9.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You want people to go crazy with their crazy memes or big combos which will play for crazy values, right? So, why not call/name it accordingly?

Oh, I got some names! Err... "The Padded Cell," "The Asylum," "The Sanatorium." Or maybe you could call it "Zen Mode" because you're not trying to win, you're trying to build a beautiful pattern.

DRK3

Forum veteran
@rrc Thank you for the reply - and thanks to the others who also replied.
I would much rather get negative feedback so at least i can identify the problems and do something to fix them than to get no replies and have no idea what's on the users minds and just have to guess.

I can see now nobody likes the 'Safe Space' name. That is not a problem, we can change it.
However i disagree with you, i do think it was very fitting to the concept: its precisely because its safe that you can go wild and pull off the crazy combos, the only adversary being the mulligans and card draws that may hinder your goals.
You dont need to tech defenders, or cards/ leaders to boost your combo pieces out of removal range, no need to fear being pushed R2 and getting your strategy disrupted, or need to include meta cards to be able to survive R1- you can build the deck 100% focused on your specific strategy, optimizing its potential.

The drawback of this is the non-interactivity, the playing 'solitaire' like you described it. It pushes a lot of interesting cards that users may want to try out of the field.
Look at it this way: with the condition of non-interactivity, player A and B will 100% achieve their goal, maybe after a couple of tries. One of them will likely have scored more points and thus won the match, but the goal isnt to beat the opponent, its to pull off the combo perfectly.
While with control, maybe player A got his combo to 80% and B only to 50%, and player A won, but nothing was discovered, no combo that has never been done before was pulled. And no matter how many matches they do, none will ever achieve their 100% perfect situation because the opponent always disrupts it a bit.

I think i get it - you, like others who arent sold on this idea (some are friends and contacted me privately), are more interested in a place to try off-meta decks in friendly matches.
Something like the meme tournament PlainTalkJon hosted yesterday, that perhaps you watched.
I definitely see potential there, and we can generate something like that - based on this forum, for its users.

Perhaps i was too selfish with this project.
But after 4 months of 'Deck of the Day', with a lot of cardpool exploration and experimentation, where i had no other option but to test meme decks on meta-controlled modes of casual ("training") and ranked, one has to learn to accept defeat and be very, very patient, as it will take 10 or 20 or 50 attempts to finally do something that could have been done in 2-3 attempts on an environment like Safe Space. Or even something that would be outright impossible without coordination with the opponent.

Anyway, im sure we can find a middleground where everyone will be satisfied.
I urge you all to try the meme decks or weird stuff you're interested in, even if you expect to lose a lot. Come to me if you want to try em against other off-meta decks, if you get frustrated of netdecks.
But i also request that you ALL that think these non-interactive matches will be boring, try one or two with me, perhaps i can blow your mind with some things you never imagined and change your mind :smart:

• RED Point
Reactions: rrc

rrc

Forum veteran
I can see now nobody likes the 'Safe Space' name. That is not a problem, we can change it.
However i disagree with you, i do think it was very fitting to the concept: its precisely because its safe that you can go wild and pull off the crazy combos, the only adversary being the mulligans and card draws that may hinder your goals.
You dont need to tech defenders, or cards/ leaders to boost your combo pieces out of removal range, no need to fear being pushed R2 and getting your strategy disrupted, or need to include meta cards to be able to survive R1- you can build the deck 100% focused on your specific strategy, optimizing its potential.
I have no issues with the name "Safe Space".. I thought about if people will have issues as you asked specifically about the name. What you say makes complete sense. It is a safe space in which people can try without the anxiety of whether they can pull off their combo.

The drawback of this is the non-interactivity, the playing 'solitaire' like you described it. It pushes a lot of interesting cards that users may want to try out of the field.
Look at it this way: with the condition of non-interactivity, player A and B will 100% achieve their goal, maybe after a couple of tries. One of them will likely have scored more points and thus won the match, but the goal isnt to beat the opponent, its to pull off the combo perfectly.
While with control, maybe player A got his combo to 80% and B only to 50%, and player A won, but nothing was discovered, no combo that has never been done before was pulled. And no matter how many matches they do, none will ever achieve their 100% perfect situation because the opponent always disrupts it a bit.
Yes, makes sense. I have wanted to try a long R3 with Brouver to see if there is any other deck which can beat the 100% ideal dwarf playout scenario. Even with minimal damage it can't be pulled off.

I think i get it - you, like others who arent sold on this idea (some are friends and contacted me privately), are more interested in a place to try off-meta decks in friendly matches.
Something like the meme tournament PlainTalkJon hosted yesterday, that perhaps you watched.
I definitely see potential there, and we can generate something like that - based on this forum, for its users.
Yes, I too liked the concept of that meme tournament. Banning all problematic cards, but still give full flexibility outside of those cards. We also try something similar for forum member. I joined the tournament, but unfortunately I got some unexpected personal errands to take care off and couldn't even play a single game.

But your idea is completely different. It is not about winning at all. A tournament will bring the "I should win" thingy. So, I don't know if Space Space can have a Meme tournament. Perhaps you are the right person to think about it and take some conclusive actions.
But i also request that you ALL that think these non-interactive matches will be boring, try one or two with me, perhaps i can blow your mind with some things you never imagined and change your mind :smart:
That my friend, I have no doubt. Even in the friendly games we played much before the Safe Space, your decks were always mind blowing and different. But unfortunately I think our play-time is very very odd/different and catching you online is very hard. I play in IST (Indian Standard Time) and mostly in some untimes. But if I ever catch you online, I will ping you for trying out somethings which I can never ever pull off in any other place other than "Safe Space".

Count me in. Even if not a regular practitioner, I will try every now and then I get some idea.

Hello there.
This is a great idea. I had (again) taken a break after an intense weekend at the start of the season, so i did not reply immediatly.
Count me in. I am not so much of a meme player and even less of a meme builder but I really like friendly gameplay, so a safe 'n solitair game from time to time could be tempting. Also I like theme and tribe decks so perhabs I can dust off the old "vandergriffts blade" without loosing 2/0 by 50 points each round.
As rrc as a fellow greenboy already stated playing "fully save" is not everything. But as you, DRK3 also stated everything is up to the match and players can agree individually on the lvl of controll allowed for particullar games, in the likes of: "full conroll allowed" - "minor controll" - "no disruption/removal".
I also wanted to give a thumbs up on the meme tournament idea.
Can I vote: "Name doesn't matter BUT i AM intrested in the concept?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Were able to do a few more matches with @Aris_Tarkus (thanks for the help)
Any new members feel free to add him (and me, if you still dont have) on GOG, the more we are, the more likely someone is available to play when any of us wants.

I tried two of the decks with the highest point potential, and after a couple of tries on each, i was happy with my results:

Kiki Queens vs Spellatael Aglais.jpg

Triple Kiki queen, executed almost perfectly, like 99.9%.
Space is the major condition here (in the first attempt, i had to discard my 3 last cards).
I do believe this beats any potential Koschey has, and since the nerf, also Gernichora. And Arachas swarm with bone talismans and Yen also cant beat these numbers, so this might be the highest a MO deck can reach - i would love to be proven wrong though :ohstopit:
PS - it was incredibly close, it could've been a tie if an orb had hit the unused seer...

Townsfolk Scribes - Perfect round 300pts.jpg

Townsfolk scribes.
Honestly, this might be the strongest meme strategy without disruption.
I was very happy to reach a perfect 300 (in an 11 card R3, thanks to Matta, to prolong the round).
Its probably possible to get more, i did this with 2 scribes but 3/4 is probably ideal, and the rest being Townsfolk, and one spender who ideally doesnt take space.

I hope you liked this post, and if you havent, please do vote on the poll on the beginning of the thread, i will close it soon and choose the final name of this group according to the results.

DRK3

Forum veteran
More matches were made, and archetypes / strategies tested and optimized.
This time with @Jollyrogerxberg , thanks for the awesome matches.

NR Swarm vs SY Fireswarm (3rd time s the charm).jpg

After a few attempts, i was finally able to sequence firesworn correctly, and get the most out of the lonely champions (among the other combos), beating my record for this deck.

NR Swarm vs Desert Treasures.jpg

And here, my opponent was able to maximize his NR swarm list, getting the most out of Meve and swarm payoffs to finally break the 200pt mark!
Me, i was using my ultra meme desert treasures spam, which is never amazing points and always has me discarding cards, but its a lot of fun.

EVERYONE feel free to join this (casual) group or try it once or twice, all you need to do is post a comment to show your interest, and have a deck that doesnt disrupt the opponent (it doesnt have to be interesting, you can just be a witness / helper of others and try to learn new decks!
Post automatically merged:

Here's the lists of some of these decks i used for this thread, in case someone's interested:

Desert Treasure Bros

Triple Kiki Queen

Igor Townsfolk

Thx for the great screenshots. what a delight to see meve in shining light. (try her the animation feels like chrismas). Nice view on the other side of the board. This is how romans could felt when Hannibal was marching beyond the albs. A squad of giant Warelefants and an army of peasants/light infantery. :)
btw: if you would have used the turncoat pings i guess it would have been 200 straight:beer:

DRK3

Forum veteran
The poll is over (i will keep it up if anyone wants to confirm the results)
Say farewell to 'Safe Space'.
Say hello to 'Friendly Foes'! (FF for short)

(EDIT) This name is not necessarily definitive.
But for now, since it was the one that got the most positive support, its the one we'll take for now.

I am happy with the results we've got so far... But there's plenty more to explore.
Records to break. Minds to blow.
I have been trying one deck that after 3 tries and i still failed to pull it off, even though i had the cards necessary... i shall only post results when i feel like i succeeded in my goal (my opponents are free to share the results if they wish so, i wont mind).

But i think we can go much further with our recruitment. I know these forums arent as big as reddit, but there's still a lot of players who arent aware of this project, or some that may in doubt but perhaps would love it if they tried it.

I think we can also improve our channels of communication in order to schedule matches and define conditions, i will keep you updated with any solutions i find soon.

Anyone is welcome. Please read the guidelines in the OP. Im here to answer any further questions.
Have a good weekend :smart:

DRK3

Forum veteran
I'll post here another deck for FRIENDLY FOES matches,

DEVOTION FIRESWARM

And i'll share my results for today, done with the help of @EduFerraz

Double Coen (2nd Attempt vs Edu).jpg

I finally managed to pull off my Double Coen, breaking the NR record by more than twice of the previous :cool:
So far, this is the deck that required the most attempts.
You need to stock up a LOT of boost charges in Vysogotta in order to line up everything as best as possible.
The reason why you get so many points with this strategy is because the progression is geometric instead of arithmetic like in most engine decks (you get 10 boost from the 1st Coen, but 20 on the 2nd - Coen went from 3 to 13, click, boost him again to 23, click, other 23s became 43s)

Its possible to do triple Coen, with mandrake on viraxas, but that doesnt necessarily mean you would get more points, and the strategy would have to be quite different (good luck in case anyone wants to try that)

Kiki Queen Mirror (Edu breaks record).jpg

And here, in a Kiki mirror, my opponent breaks the current MO record (his version is definitely superior to mine).
This was done in a 12 card R3 (we both played a Matta, not currently on board)

Hope you liked these and that you will join us, after HoS in just a couple of days (we'll all be busy trying the new decks in standard modes during the first days of course)

I'll post here another deck for FRIENDLY FOES matches,

DEVOTION FIRESWARM

And i'll share my results for today, done with the help of @EduFerraz

View attachment 11257696

I finally managed to pull off my Double Coen, breaking the NR record by more than twice of the previous :cool:
So far, this is the deck that required the most attempts.
You need to stock up a LOT of boost charges in Vysogotta in order to line up everything as best as possible.
The reason why you get so many points with this strategy is because the progression is geometric instead of arithmetic like in most engine decks (you get 10 boost from the 1st Coen, but 20 on the 2nd - Coen went from 3 to 13, click, boost him again to 23, click, other 23s became 43s)

Its possible to do triple Coen, with mandrake on viraxas, but that doesnt necessarily mean you would get more points, and the strategy would have to be quite different (good luck in case anyone wants to try that)

View attachment 11257699

And here, in a Kiki mirror, my opponent breaks the current MO record (his version is definitely superior to mine).
This was done in a 12 card R3 (we both played a Matta, not currently on board)

Hope you liked these and that you will join us, after HoS in just a couple of days (we'll all be busy trying the new decks in standard modes during the first days of course)
That NR deck its crazy.

I have to admit, i have never played with coen and for me its actually some dificult to understand what he does.

SO in the first matches i didnt understand why you didnt buff more units to the same value as coen with your visygota charges. But in the last game i start to see your gameplay and understoon, after the first buff coen buff the others units but he didnt buff himself, so you need your visygota chagres to put him again at the same value and buff those units again with (using viraxas order in coen).

For my MO deck, i was thinking, almost half of my points comes from fruits and BM. My kiki queens didnt buff so many cards.

As i said to DRK in private i dont know why but i thought fruits are insectoids, so in that case, kiki queen would buff it too, but that didnt happens, of course.

So i think i can change the deck for something different than the kiki queens, remaining only with BM and fruits and others engines and get more points.

DRK3

Forum veteran
The 'Friendly Foes' discord server has been created.

If you're interested, just leave a comment expressing your interest and i shall PM you the invite link (i did check with the mods that this procedure would be OK, so no worries).

I know you (and me) will all be busy with the new update tomorrow, but that's an extra reason why you should join now, and chat about other Gwent stuff, while FF matches are on the backburner until everyone is tired of the standard meta again :shrug:

DC9V

Forum veteran
Request for the Firendly Foes Discord server.

I'm currently trying to build the biggest Draco & Iris combo ever.
If untouched, the combination of Dracoturtle, Mardroeme, Vlodimir, and Iris, can play for 160 points in R3, or even more.

Edit: New personal record: 220 points!
Deck list

Last edited:
and here, I thought I was the only one trying to build up a high power Iris.

She is one of my favorite cards along with Viviienne: Oriole. No oner expects to run into those. Syanna is a lot of fun too in the right deck... 200 point Aglais anyone?

DRK3

Forum veteran
Here's some results from the Friendly Foes matches we did yesterday and i forgot to post at the moment:

FF Match 1 - Harpies vs Dwarves.jpg

Just some harpies fun, who needs gold DW units anyway...

FF Match 3 - Million Tibors vs Medit Mages.jpg

And here some Tibor spam vs some Meditating mages spam.
(All these fat guys were obtained through pre-patch shenanigans, but from now on i will start using HoS cards for FF decks)

DC9V

Forum veteran
It took me several hours to find someone in casual mode who didn't purify or heatwave the defender...
(for decklist and video, see my previous post)

1634801175560.png

Dracoturtle R3 220.png

DRK3

Forum veteran
Hello everyone, i bring back more cool results from FF matches

FF Match 20 Oct - Ciri Dash Swarm Result.jpg

FF Match 22 Oct - Match 3 Result.jpg

My trusty opponent is using Firesworn on the 1st screenie (done a few days ago) and Symbiosis on the 2nd (today).
Thank you for being very patient while i tried so hard to pull this NG deck properly (took several tries).

Its possible to get more Ciri Dashes, than this, but the further you go in R1, or 2, then you wont have time to setup engines like Glynnis and Snowdrop on R3 before you start putting the Dashes, so its not as easy as it might seem.

I will also share here the decklist and guide for this type of practitioner deck like ive already shared with FF members.
You can easily replace Ciri Dash with any card of your liking.
You can also try to use this deck on standard modes, but change it according to "less friendly opponents".

Also, i invite again everyone to try 'Friendly Foes' matches for yourself, you just might have fun :cool:
Have a nice weekend, a nice Open #4 and (since its past midnight here), HAPPY BIRTHDAY GWENT!!!

(Gwent Homecoming's Bday, Gwent Closed Beta Bday is in 2 days, i will celebrate then again!)

Friendly foes.... Kekwait.

This game was made in a casual match but I can Also consider as friendly foes since my opponent was using vyi.

The result? Well you can see below

Screenshot_20211029-093202_Gwent.jpg

Top Bottom