Gwent HC problems - Analysis and implementation (In depth, 35 pages - only for goodwill people XD)

+

Raunbjorn

Posting here instead of Reddit since I will get downvoted into oblivion but my main gripe about HC Gwent is the slow tempo because of Orders and the like. Obviously they wanted the game to be more like MTG where you can do a lot of stuff on the same turn but for me, it just doesn't work well in Gwent since it's more of a chess/tactics/strategy game. Or at least used to be. What I'm trying to say is that I miss the more fast paced gameplay along with a more "responsive" feel when you dump a card onto the board. Even the small things like the sound of the coin flipping when you play a card was very satisfying even after you've played tens of thousands of cards. Also miss the sounds of the machines in NR decks when you shot down the opponents units or was trying to set up for a big scorch.

It's the little things I miss that may not seem like much at first but when playing 10 games each day, it means a lot for your game experience.

I miss stuff like having three of the same bronze cards and a lot of other things but what I mentioned earlier is what's keeping me from playing atm. I'm hoping people are enjoying HC Gwent (I bought the CC bundle just to support the game) but I just can't no matter how hard I try, unfortunately.

All the best.

I liked the PDF, presented here, very much. Ur ideas, @Mirage_, are very similar to mine.
But, what do all discussioners miss? I think, u miss an idea, that every card must have a soul, a character, definition, like every Tarot card, for example. Every card must have a story, standing behind it. That's why all Gwent cards has some description, some quotes from books. This makes cards kind of alive, interesting. U value them more. So I think, card's soul must be the main element of every card's design. Another things are secondary, they are growing from this card's image: mechanics, rarity, bronzeness or goldness, provision cost and so on. All is determined by card's image. For example, let's take "Coodcoodak":

Coodcoodak_4x6.png

His description is: "Coodcoodak, throwing his head back, howled and growled, screeched and squealed, whined and bleated – all in a medley of voices both known and unknown, domestic and wild, of reality and of myth."
His keywords are: Human, Knight. He is golden and epic. His effect is "Deploy: Purify adjacent units".
Looking at his description, there a "little" mismatch appears: can this trolling and jumping on the table in his dirty boots man, purify something? No, I don't think so. By lore, this baron was skilled in imitating animal sounds. He was something like joker, crowd entertainer. So his purifying ability is not at place and does not reveal his essence. It's mismatch of what card should be and what developers want it to be to reach their plans. I think, that card and lore is more important then game design plans (to add some purifying cards no metter which). Lore is a heart of every game, every valuable thing. U know, people pay billions for old pictures, old things of days gone by, because of their lore, soul, essence, story. But u don't even respect it. Many cards are made without lore binding. Do u think, people will love ur game if u don't even respect this game's lore?
So, some things are ok: it's human - true, it's knight - true, golden - true (there is no another Coodcoodaks in the Witcher's universe), epic - may be. But what about mechanic? I think, mechanic must be something assosiated with illusions and imitation. For example, he can turn in some beast (from create mechanic), but with health not changed (cause it's illusion), or he can create some beast and play it, but with one health, cause it's just an illusion. A card with 6p and 4 health is ok for this play. Or he can create some beast with full HP, which will disappear after some turns, because it's just an illusion. Isn't it much more interesting and lore-bound then boring purify adjacent units?
Following this logic, there can be added special cards of destiny, for example, cause destiny is one of the main themes of Witcher's lore. Every such card can have an interesting and strong effect of binding some cards with each other in that's or another's side profit. Isn't it cool?
So I thinks, that lore must be the main driver of card's design. All other mechanics must just be a variety, a borders in which u can describe some card. And one of the border is do not use orders, but use some auto-mechanics, timers and so on. That what we discuss here.

Last edited:
Bringing back an old topic, think this is an interesting story.
First things first, I still appreciate Gwent and, even if I do not play it often because it still doesn't suit me enough as before, I follow it (streamers, updates, expansions, effects) with the hope that things will change for the better (i mean, for my taste! XD) and do some matches every once in a while (I bought both the expansions just to support the game, just good to know I am not a hater).

I have to admit that the game is slowly changing for the better and, if things go on like this, I'm day by day more exited to get my hands into it again.

Fun fact, just right now CDPR shown the Patch 3.1 Overview and I'm fond of the changes, as many of them follow many of the guidelines of my analysis (you can find the .pdf in the first page too... maybe someone actually read it?)! For example:
- Reduce the damage to let the board develop > pages 18, 19, 20 [2.30 - Solving the binary of Multi-turns effects against removal/locking cards]
- Increase the value/provision of low value cards > pages 5, secondary effect (not mentioned explicitly in the video), they are not any more only mulligan fodders [1.40 - Power and Provisions: Deckbuilding and balancing]
.....- for purpose of survivability > pages 7-18 enhancing the importance of multi-turn effects (call them engines if you want, but multi-turn effects are not only engine but also cards like Villentrentenmerth [Importance of Multi-turn effects].
- return of position mechanics > pages 22, 23 [2.61 - Movement and positioning] with intention to incease the positional quality of the board (which translate into soft points potentials through alignment, etc) such as:
.....- Crew
.....- Row locked units
.....- effects that boost on the right, on the left, etc (look examples below)
- Giving good survivability tool to every faction, and then specific identity to each faction. For example:
.....- Use more shield across all factions! > pages 21, 22 [2.40 - Survivability and indirect Power value: Armor, Shield, Immune]

Some of the example of changes and ideas they implemented to turn the game more on multi-turn effects (easily every change they show in the video is in this direction!):
- Dun banner engine
- Keira Metz
- Temerian Drummer
- Anna Stranger
etc

To summarize, as a result the game will be likely more and more centered on engines and timers and other stuff, so that who develop the BETTER board (not just the strongest) wins.
Answers to threats will likely be translated into more indirect and high/low points potential cards like G-igni and similar (which are the healthiest cards in the game, because they are actually based on skill): the better player, the one who trade more points, the one who protects from the opponent better by playing the cards strategically, will win more.

That's a huge improvement!

Can't wait to see all the improvements like these that will be made.

N.B. Order still doesn't fit Gwent... XD They say that Fee is just more solid (I mean, is like a deploy that you can repeat how many times you want). That's obvious.
Players will (at least try) play Orders only with zeal (if they cannot, it's sub optimal). So that's just a.... deploy effect!!!!
At the end Order will do the end of Reach: nice idea on paper, bad in reality.... (I would like even Fee to be changed on engines (at the end of the turn, Fee 2 (if you have coins) to damage 2) or to deploy/timers).
But I know I'm pretty radical on Orders, so maybe I can make up my mind about Order-like/fee effects if all the other stuff keep changing the best way, as it is doing... XD

N.B.B. Sorry @Hydrahead and @Vedamir, I thought I had the notifications on in this thread (and I got some notifications back when I published the post). But I didn't get notifications for your posts and I missed them! Still, glad that many opinions are shared!

Last edited:
I think, orders would be more playable now, because of lowering overall damage, but I still don't like them too. It's just unpleasant to use them. They are looking foreign and are breaking turn-basement of the game. This counters for orders are looking bad too. I think, at least, orders must not have counters (x1), cause they are always one-time-use and this x1 sign is misleading, because we have the same sign for charges.
Of course, it's better in all cases to remove orders and charges at all. I think, card clicking, that is already played, is not ok. If u played a card, let it lay down calmly and live it's own life. Reusing played cards is too garbaging. U must think of too many things: what card to play from hand, what card to play from board and to play or not the leader's ability at this turn. It's too garbaging and complicated, I think. It's better to make the game more simple and understandable in gameplay, cause it's just cards. It's not an RPG. Just play cards one by one in right order and get a result. Easy and funny. Even chess are simpler, cause u play figures one by one.

Last edited:
I think, orders would be more playable now, because of lowering overall damage, but I still don't like them too. It's just unpleasant to use them. They are looking foreign and are breaking turn-basement of the game. This counters for orders are looking bad too. I think, at least, orders must not have counters (x1), cause they are always one-time-use and this x1 sign is misleading, because we have the same sign for charges.
Of course, it's better in all cases to remove orders and charges at all. I think, card clicking, that is already played, is not ok. If u played a card, let it lay down calmly and live it's own life. Reusing played cards is too garbaging. U must think of too many things: what card to play from hand, what card to play from board and to play or not the leader's ability at this turn. It's too garbaging and complicated, I think. It's better to make the game more simple and understandable in gameplay, cause it's just cards. It's not an RPG. Just play cards one by one in right order and get a result. Easy and funny. Even chess are simpler, cause u play figures one by one.
I agree. All the pinging through orders, charges and coins and needing to touch already played cards over and over makes the game tedious and slow. It simply makes no sense for a card game and on top of that, it makes things difficult to balance and complicated, also technically for mobile with all the tiny, precise and quick screen touches needed. There are other ways to make cards do additional stuff in another turn. Instead of orders, a card could do something automatically in the next turn (for example give a Shield to a unit on the right, or damage a unit that was targeted in the turn the card was played. Then there are mechanics like Bonded that are very cool. Also some bronzes or special cards can be created that repeat a unit's ability. Simple, easy, better balanced and fun.

Raunbjorn

I agree. All the pinging through orders, charges and coins and needing to touch already played cards over and over makes the game tedious and slow. It simply makes no sense for a card game and on top of that, it makes things difficult to balance and complicated, also technically for mobile with all the tiny, precise and quick screen touches needed. There are other ways to make cards do additional stuff in another turn. Instead of orders, a card could do something automatically in the next turn (for example give a Shield to a unit on the right, or damage a unit that was targeted in the turn the card was played. Then there are mechanics like Bonded that are very cool. Also some bronzes or special cards can be created that repeat a unit's ability. Simple, easy, better balanced and fun.
Ironically, the beta version was more mobile friendly despite having three rows. I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out especially as a NR player when you have to do all kinds of stuff every turn, lol (first off they have to make PS4 users like myself be able to use their accounts otherwise I'm not gonna play on mobile in the first place but that's another discussion.) Also it's gonna interesting to see how they implement the 3D models. It would be really cool if they end up depicting them as cards!

Thanks for the original post, btw @Mirage_ You're a real hero!

Ironically, the beta version was more mobile friendly despite having three rows. I'm looking forward to seeing how it pans out especially as a NR player when you have to do all kinds of stuff every turn, lol (first off they have to make PS4 users like myself be able to use their accounts otherwise I'm not gonna play on mobile in the first place but that's another discussion.) Also it's gonna interesting to see how they implement the 3D models. It would be really cool if they end up depicting them as cards!

Thanks for the original post, btw @Mirage_ You're a real hero!
Yeah, I mean, it's also true that orders are not very mobile friendly...
But I think Gwent will never remove Orders nor Fees. The fact is that if everything else is really good, I can see myself close an eye on our beloved Orders.... ahahahahah
And by the way thank you for the compliment.

Just a little FunFact: remember battering Ram?
In my analysis (page 29) the "new" interesting effect reads like this:
Battering Ram ("Mirage version")
Cooldown 2: At the start of your turn, move self to the other row and, if on the Melee row,
damage the highest enemy by self’s power.

Guess after 3.1 the new battering ram how is it? Pretty similar! XD
Battering Ram (3.1 Patch version)
Order (Ranged): Move self to the melee row, then damage highest enemy unit by 3. Crew: Gain Zeal.

Nice! Maybe someone read it!! :)

Yeah, I mean, it's also true that orders are not very mobile friendly... But I think Gwent will never remove Orders nor Fees.
I think there's no other way and I am looking forward to it because it will make the game better. I think clicking all these orders, charges and other pings on your mobile phone will be extremely frustrating and crappy, especially when you are travelling and moving. I can already imagine players cursing in cars, buses and trains and maybe even some phones smashed to pieces. Gwent needs to become a card game again instead of a card-clicking game.

I think there's no other way and I am looking forward to it because it will make the game better.
Totally agree. I even decided for myself, that I shall not play Gwent until orders and another charge-like mechanics removed.

Hey again, time for the "once in a while" update (even if not many people care for my opinion, I just want to point it out and share it with those willing to have an exchange :) ) as I think the main topics of the analysis and of the thread are still more than relevant (and finally I had some time - Essen boardgame fair was on his way so lot of effort went there in the last months)...

First things first:
- Iron Just.. ehm, Judgment is out (yes, I know, it has been a little while, by now) and I think it added something good, but still a lot of things are missing (clarification: I bought the packs... I still see slight improvements, I still want to support the game, and I still believe it has the potential to be the best strategic card game out there)
- Mobile version is finally out! (see the last couple of posts here above for some of the issues we think Gwent may have there)
- Gwent Challenger #5 (yes, this is the oldest of the three..... but at the end some thoughts on the watchability of gwent (I saw pretty much all of the stream))

So, right into the analysis:

- Finally armor is back!!! Yeah, this was an easy call, but still in my analysis... go to p.21, 2.40 - Survivability and indirect Power value: Armor, Shield, Immune. Nice. Not more to mention, good job.

- Bersek change (bonus): go right to p.24 to find my "Enraged X" status, which is pretty much the same of "Berserk X "that there is right now (Berserk has been changed some time ago)... At the beginning, I thought too that the simpler version of the "halved power" berserk was a more elegant way of design by CDPR.... but finally my version was better for balancing and depth... nice to know.. :)

- Addition of limitation to ongoing effects (example: Barricade, Exposed): Yes, I know, I'm an advocate of engines and I want more added to the game. But I'm never been a fellow of broken engines. I want interesting engines. So jump into p.12: 2.15 - Balancing Multi-turns effects: not only provisions. In here there are some way of balancing and cap engines, like timers, charges, specific boardstate to make the effect happen. Great job of CDPR to use effects such as Barricade, which is a way to limit the power of an engine. One of my favourite is "Dwarf Berserker": brilliant and simple solution to implement a good engine... The card is doing more than fine, but it's not boring like "Dwarven Mercenary", that has been a bad problem because its Order is abusable via "novigradian Injustice" (But we will have a look at this later)...
Other nice additions: "Dire MutatedHound", "Mantlet", "Ard Feainn Crossbowman" "Iron Falcon Infantry".

- Addition of mixed Engine/Trigger: Finally!!!! This is the stuff I like the most!! These are very interesting effects that can be played around or even used by your opponent without having to directly answer them! Jump into p.7: 2.10 - Lack of interesting multi-turns effects where I claim that "As a game of armies clashing, Gwent should have at its core a dynamic game-state board, representing a battle developing turn after turn. That's why cards with engine, trigger and timer effects (and mix of them) should be the backbone structure of Ideal Gwent gameplay."
Unfortunately they are not that many. Such cards are: "Wagenburg" (can be answered by moving or by removing armor and offers, on the proactive, interesting positioning and indirect armor value); "Armored Drakkar", "Terror Crew Axe-Wielder", "Redanian Knight".

Sad part of the last two topics: unfortunately these cards are extremely underpowered, or often sub optimal, because of the Order effects. Here is the clearest case study: Novigradian Justice. Many people thought that the strenght of the Novigradian Justice into Dwarven Mercenary relied into the Justice. That's far from the truth! Justice is a very good card, that's for sure, but the problem is the targeted negative interaction that Dwarven Mercenary has! Let's look at these two scenarios:
1- Novigradian Justice into double Dwarven Mercenary -> opponent plays an engine -> Next turn you kill the engine with four charges.
Possible counterplays: destroy the Dwarven Mercenaries (no other counterplays allowed: if you play for example a tutor into engine, the opponent will trivially shoot at the engine with all his charges anyway)
2- Novigradian Justice into double Dwarf Berserker.... ->opponent plays an engine -> next turn, use a ping to let the engine go to 2, then both Dwarves hit the engine and it dies.
Possible counterplays: destroy the Dwarven Berserkers; use a tutor for one of your engine (lowering the odds of them hitting the engine later); play a tempo armored card so that the dwarves damage is mitigated, then play your engines in the subsequent turn (lowering the odds of them hitting the engine later); with skellige, play a Berserk X card, so to trigger the berserk immediately (impossible to do against Dwarven Mercenaries: the opponent will - again trivially - preserve their charges), etc [insert many creative counterplays here :) ].
Only the second situation is interesting. But:
- as long as Orders (and charges attached to orders) will be able to manually and specifically target stuff, mixed engine/trigger effects will always be sub-optimal when compared with orders. (see p. 13: 2.17 - Order effects make Multi-turns effects sub-optimal (how to fix it))
- only the Engine part of such cards is used, because for the opponent is too easy to avoid play into the trigger part! Too much control of the situation, there is almost never a drawback in playing an order instead of an engine/trigger. And now the "Redanian Knight", which has a fantastic effect, is only played as a boring "1 point per turn" engine at 4 provisions..... so sad..

- Addition of other effects (or status) such as Defender: great addition! Though, these are really dangerous as they can worsen the problem of too much optimization and of negative Order interaction and lack of opponent's answer that Gwent has. If Orders are strong, and I can't play around them indirectly, and I can't remove them because there is a Defender, then why am I playing at all? It's only frustrating to play at the "who can put on the board that kind of setup first". First, by letting players answer each other in indirect way, you make Defenders strong, but not too strong. Second, add some kind of limitation to the Defenders, such as a timer, a trigger or something that may make them lose the defender status.
As a result, you can put the defender status/effect onto more cards, and you make the game-state more dynamic.
It can be something like the timer "exhaust" I propose at p.24 (Exhaust: the unit loses all his abilities (it becomes a no effect card))

Challenger 5: I play games, both video and board games... And I can watch a "boring" game of chess feeling exited. But I know that many people can't, and the last Gwent Challenger from an avarage viewer perspective was boring.
Why?
Not because of the casters, the reason was not technical (as always, pretty good job), but just for the game.... Too much optimization, not a single moment of uncertainty, and while I want Gwent to be a competitive product, I want it to be exiting. And chance (aka, luck) should be "heavily" introduced again. In a smart way, don't misunderstand me, but should be reintroduced for the health of the game (see p.10: 2.13 - The purposes of Multi-turns effects).
Remember that luck can be controlled, if you play well (should I mention the old hyperthin Djikstra, for example?)
If you don't think luck can be competitive, just look at poker, the most competitive card game out there, please.
I prefer to see a trebuchet that can give the losing player a 1 in 13 chance of destroying the already damaged 1 strength Villentrentenmert that is ready to scorch his board, than seing a Dwarven Mercenary taking out 100% of the time the same threat...
Remember: on the long run, the best would win a lot more in both situations. Even if one is a lot more exiting than the other!

Finally, a couple of thoughts that I really hope CDPR will implement (don't worry, I will update my rants every once in a while):
- timer locks effect (which lock a unit for x turns) should be implemented (see p.21: 2.32 - Moving to timer lock effects)
- More strategic tradeoff effects (such as p.33: Whenever an enemy is played on the opposite row, do [X], then exhaust self.)

Cheers!

Raunbjorn

Hey again, time for the "once in a while" update (even if not many people care for my opinion, I just want to point it out and share it with those willing to have an exchange :) ) as I think the main topics of the analysis and of the thread are still more than relevant (and finally I had some time - Essen boardgame fair was on his way so lot of effort went there in the last months)...

First things first:
- Iron Just.. ehm, Judgment is out (yes, I know, it has been a little while, by now) and I think it added something good, but still a lot of things are missing (clarification: I bought the packs... I still see slight improvements, I still want to support the game, and I still believe it has the potential to be the best strategic card game out there)
- Mobile version is finally out! (see the last couple of posts here above for some of the issues we think Gwent may have there)
- Gwent Challenger #5 (yes, this is the oldest of the three..... but at the end some thoughts on the watchability of gwent (I saw pretty much all of the stream))

So, right into the analysis:

- Finally armor is back!!! Yeah, this was an easy call, but still in my analysis... go to p.21, 2.40 - Survivability and indirect Power value: Armor, Shield, Immune. Nice. Not more to mention, good job.

- Bersek change (bonus): go right to p.24 to find my "Enraged X" status, which is pretty much the same of "Berserk X "that there is right now (Berserk has been changed some time ago)... At the beginning, I thought too that the simpler version of the "halved power" berserk was a more elegant way of design by CDPR.... but finally my version was better for balancing and depth... nice to know.. :)

- Addition of limitation to ongoing effects (example: Barricade, Exposed): Yes, I know, I'm an advocate of engines and I want more added to the game. But I'm never been a fellow of broken engines. I want interesting engines. So jump into p.12: 2.15 - Balancing Multi-turns effects: not only provisions. In here there are some way of balancing and cap engines, like timers, charges, specific boardstate to make the effect happen. Great job of CDPR to use effects such as Barricade, which is a way to limit the power of an engine. One of my favourite is "Dwarf Berserker": brilliant and simple solution to implement a good engine... The card is doing more than fine, but it's not boring like "Dwarven Mercenary", that has been a bad problem because its Order is abusable via "novigradian Injustice" (But we will have a look at this later)...
Other nice additions: "Dire MutatedHound", "Mantlet", "Ard Feainn Crossbowman" "Iron Falcon Infantry".

- Addition of mixed Engine/Trigger: Finally!!!! This is the stuff I like the most!! These are very interesting effects that can be played around or even used by your opponent without having to directly answer them! Jump into p.7: 2.10 - Lack of interesting multi-turns effects where I claim that "As a game of armies clashing, Gwent should have at its core a dynamic game-state board, representing a battle developing turn after turn. That's why cards with engine, trigger and timer effects (and mix of them) should be the backbone structure of Ideal Gwent gameplay."
Unfortunately they are not that many. Such cards are: "Wagenburg" (can be answered by moving or by removing armor and offers, on the proactive, interesting positioning and indirect armor value); "Armored Drakkar", "Terror Crew Axe-Wielder", "Redanian Knight".

Sad part of the last two topics: unfortunately these cards are extremely underpowered, or often sub optimal, because of the Order effects. Here is the clearest case study: Novigradian Justice. Many people thought that the strenght of the Novigradian Justice into Dwarven Mercenary relied into the Justice. That's far from the truth! Justice is a very good card, that's for sure, but the problem is the targeted negative interaction that Dwarven Mercenary has! Let's look at these two scenarios:
1- Novigradian Justice into double Dwarven Mercenary -> opponent plays an engine -> Next turn you kill the engine with four charges.
Possible counterplays: destroy the Dwarven Mercenaries (no other counterplays allowed: if you play for example a tutor into engine, the opponent will trivially shoot at the engine with all his charges anyway)
2- Novigradian Justice into double Dwarf Berserker.... ->opponent plays an engine -> next turn, use a ping to let the engine go to 2, then both Dwarves hit the engine and it dies.
Possible counterplays: destroy the Dwarven Berserkers; use a tutor for one of your engine (lowering the odds of them hitting the engine later); play a tempo armored card so that the dwarves damage is mitigated, then play your engines in the subsequent turn (lowering the odds of them hitting the engine later); with skellige, play a Berserk X card, so to trigger the berserk immediately (impossible to do against Dwarven Mercenaries: the opponent will - again trivially - preserve their charges), etc [insert many creative counterplays here :) ].
Only the second situation is interesting. But:
- as long as Orders (and charges attached to orders) will be able to manually and specifically target stuff, mixed engine/trigger effects will always be sub-optimal when compared with orders. (see p. 13: 2.17 - Order effects make Multi-turns effects sub-optimal (how to fix it))
- only the Engine part of such cards is used, because for the opponent is too easy to avoid play into the trigger part! Too much control of the situation, there is almost never a drawback in playing an order instead of an engine/trigger. And now the "Redanian Knight", which has a fantastic effect, is only played as a boring "1 point per turn" engine at 4 provisions..... so sad..

- Addition of other effects (or status) such as Defender: great addition! Though, these are really dangerous as they can worsen the problem of too much optimization and of negative Order interaction and lack of opponent's answer that Gwent has. If Orders are strong, and I can't play around them indirectly, and I can't remove them because there is a Defender, then why am I playing at all? It's only frustrating to play at the "who can put on the board that kind of setup first". First, by letting players answer each other in indirect way, you make Defenders strong, but not too strong. Second, add some kind of limitation to the Defenders, such as a timer, a trigger or something that may make them lose the defender status.
As a result, you can put the defender status/effect onto more cards, and you make the game-state more dynamic.
It can be something like the timer "exhaust" I propose at p.24 (Exhaust: the unit loses all his abilities (it becomes a no effect card))

Challenger 5: I play games, both video and board games... And I can watch a "boring" game of chess feeling exited. But I know that many people can't, and the last Gwent Challenger from an avarage viewer perspective was boring.
Why?
Not because of the casters, the reason was not technical (as always, pretty good job), but just for the game.... Too much optimization, not a single moment of uncertainty, and while I want Gwent to be a competitive product, I want it to be exiting. And chance (aka, luck) should be "heavily" introduced again. In a smart way, don't misunderstand me, but should be reintroduced for the health of the game (see p.10: 2.13 - The purposes of Multi-turns effects).
Remember that luck can be controlled, if you play well (should I mention the old hyperthin Djikstra, for example?)
If you don't think luck can be competitive, just look at poker, the most competitive card game out there, please.
I prefer to see a trebuchet that can give the losing player a 1 in 13 chance of destroying the already damaged 1 strength Villentrentenmert that is ready to scorch his board, than seing a Dwarven Mercenary taking out 100% of the time the same threat...
Remember: on the long run, the best would win a lot more in both situations. Even if one is a lot more exiting than the other!

Finally, a couple of thoughts that I really hope CDPR will implement (don't worry, I will update my rants every once in a while):
- timer locks effect (which lock a unit for x turns) should be implemented (see p.21: 2.32 - Moving to timer lock effects)
- More strategic tradeoff effects (such as p.33: Whenever an enemy is played on the opposite row, do [X], then exhaust self.)

Cheers!
Amazing read, mate. Honestly. You're the only reason I'm still on this forum (take that as a compliment, lol). Gotta go to bed instead of commenting but I will just say that reading this post was a blast.

Amazing read, mate. Honestly. You're the only reason I'm still on this forum (take that as a compliment, lol). Gotta go to bed instead of commenting but I will just say that reading this post was a blast.
Thank you mate! At the end my time spending writing is not a total waste... thank you!! And of course comment too... I like to talk about game design choice (as you can see.... XD)!

Here it is, last update in the journey of Gwent analysis - "new" Merchants of Ofir update!
First and foremost, I watched the cards and all the other stuff back when they came out in December, again I bought both the Stratagem pack and the 10 premium kegs etc (and now I'm almost finishing the scraps I had from OB), following streamers etc. So I'm not a hater, but just want to point out some stuff!
I still believe Gwent is the most unique between the card games out there, and I finally played a little bit more! I like where the game is heading to.... Still pondering and observing, but the changes and the feelings are becoming better and better!

For reference, I post here again the analysis: https://forums.cdprojektred.com/ind...ems-analysis-and-implementation-pdf.10995307/

HERE A SUMMARY OF THE CONSIDERATIONS FOR THE NEW EXPANSION/LAST GWENT VERSION
1- We had an interesting way to play more cards in one turn... without using order effects! For now they are the "scenario" only. I really like the idea! It's a really cool way to have the possibility to have explosive turns without the optimization and intricacies of Orders. Jump to section 2.25 - Playing multiple cards/effects without Order effects : one possible solution with timer and Vernon Roche-like effects. Good job!!
2-Merchant of Ofir has 74 cards. Without stratagems, 62. Between these 62, there are only 8 Order effects (and of these 8, 6 has another non-Order additional effect!) + 2 Fee. All of them could be also better translated into Multi-Turns effect, but that's for another time (jump to 2.22 - Examples of Order effects and translation to Multi-turns effects). Good job also here!
3-Pretty interesting trigger effects, that uses non-engines... such as Vernossiel. The idea that non engine cards (such as Elven Deadeye) can inflict damage is neat. Good job!
4-A couple of interesting timers (Saer Qu'An and Ludovicus Beckenbauer), although timers are still underused; but also some really cool engine/trigger effects (such as Immortals, The Beast, Saul de Navarette, Passiflora Peaches). Jump to 2.10 - Lack of interesting multi-turns effects and following. Good job!

By now, the game is becoming more enjoyable by my side. I still think that Orders are unnecessary (now that Gwent has gone mobile more than ever) and even harmful. Harmful mainly for two reasons: 1)binary optimization of points; 2)bad and boring and too much predictable gameplay during tournaments and during everyday gameplay.
Another mention is the Seasonal "blitz" mode, that had a huge success.... and what it disincentivizes? Orders, again another hint to sum up.... Faster gameplay..
Disclaimer on rng: I can never say it enough: rng is not bad by itself and it does not influence skill by itself. There is bad rng that does that, but there is also good rng. Think about poker: is it a game of skill? Yes. Is it heavily influenced by randomness? Yes, too! Yet it is one of the most skilled games out there, and really thrilling to watch too...

Other random, personal and unimportant stuff:
-I would like now to see a Wild Hunt rework. A cool idea could be based on a theme like 3.42 - Bronzes: "Whenever an enemy is played on the opposite row, do X, then exhaust self." kind of effects. It really themed well with the "hunt" for Ciri..
-Timer locks as in 2.32 - Moving to timer lock effects: locks do not last forever, but for a determinate number of turns, enhancing the 3 rounds/pass main mechanic of Gwent.

I would like to try a couple of games without order/fee (I mean, both players, and "without" order leader abilities), so if somebody is interested in try it out, just pm me and we can arrange a couple of matches!

See you next time!

Hello, my few readers! XD
Time for another updateabout the topic!
Ah, on the final note of the post: I started playing Gwent regularly again! But...

First and foremost, we are talking about Update 6.1 that you can all see here: https://www.playgwent.com/en/news/32383/update-6-1-patch-notes

My thoughts:
1- The new keyword ability "Initiative" added to GIgni and Scorch seems to me more the wrong direction to solve the problem (which - everytime - is related to Order effects!).
The Devs comment is:
"Scorch and Geralt: Igni are both really important cards to have in the game, as their mere existence makes players think twice before committing to the most optimal plays that would leave them vulnerable to either. We very much like the impact on the metagame they have, but lately, it has been increasingly difficult to play around both of them. By saving couple of order effects, players could effectively remove their opponent's agency over playing into or around those punishing effects"
Put into your mind the "By saving a couple of order effects, players could effectively remove their opponent's agency!!" But that's nothing new! And before it was so much worst! Somebody remembers the "Artifact" abberration meta of end 2018, just after release of Homecoming? Caused by optimization of order effects. Bad decks with bad and unilateral optimization as old Hubert Rejik (Order: boost self by the total damage you dealt this turn) or the old bounty system and Witch Hunter? And so on? all caused by optimization of order effects (mind that fee is nothing else than a type of order effect).
In my analysis you can find at: "2.21 - The bad dynamics lead by Order effects" in which I say that "Order effects offer optimized targeted negative interaction without drawbacks".
And there is another fact: GIgni and Scorch are not competitive cards (they are more teched or are more anti-meta options), so the problems is felt more by new players for sure! Because Scorch and GIgni - for the exact opposite reason: because Order effects and optimization can be used to disrupt them - can never find good value in competitive environment (now - in Open beta that was a different story!).
So I don't really like this change... The importance of GIgni and Scorch are not that they punish optimal plays (not always, at least; I would say they don't the majority of the times!) but that they punish specific boardstate (call them alignment of power; another similar card - that, funny enough, has no Initiative yet - is Regis, that punish another type of boardstate). There should be more cards like them, that punishes, at different degrees, specific boardstates.
The problem is when the boardstate is too much easy to make, or if it is too much difficult to make!! The problems, to conclude, are not GIgni and Scorch, but their enabler!!

2- New leaders: between all of them, I like a lot the Scoiatel: Mahakam Forge - Order: spawn and play Tempering. All Dwarfs in your starting deck get 1 Armor. Obviously, I like the second part (it's like the Arachas Swarm power): it has implication on deckbuilding (on pretty much all the cards, and not only on a specific package) and makes the game completely different every time for the opponent, because every new move is affected by that power. Sadly this power is the weakest out of all of them, and the others feel like slightly different versions of already existing leader abilities...

3- New Dracoturtle!! Such a nice and interesting engine now!

And other minor but still nice changes...

Final note: I started to play Gwent again the last season! Reached rank 7 with a fair 75% winrate (low ranks are easy) with home made decks (full SK engines, Sk engines and greatsword MIX and Gord Spellatel - that reminds me of the spellatel with which i reached pro rank in the open... aaaaaah....).
The game is still enjoyable now (as I wrote in my past posts, the game was slowly changing for the better) even though the best games I have are the games in which I use the engines and the triggers in creative ways (example by using Berserk card against Reinforced Trebuchet, or when I have to think where to position the Defender that will be steal by Philippa, or when I have to optimize all the engines against a specific boardstate, or when I use the Drakkar against a Ragh Nar Roog, etc).
I also reccommended the game to two German friends and now they are playing and enjoying a lot!
So, again, I'm not saying what I say to spill hate, but because I like the game and I wanted it to be successful!
It'a a pity that the World Master has been postponed... was really looking forward to watch it!

I think that's all, for now.
See you at the next update!

(PS. If somebody wants to play a different format (aka: no order effects allowed Gwent), please feel free to ask me for a game! It's really easy: you just cant play order effects card and you immediately have to use the leader charges/stratagem... or play nilfgaard lockdown!)

Top Bottom