GWENT Homecoming — see what's next for GWENT

+
I really don't like the approach of some users here who's crying about 6 month period. Sorry but CDPR is always trying hard to give us best as possible. Ya I know 6 Months is quite long but just look at all the changes they are going to do & I think that wait is really going to be worth.

If some you tubers or players left or deciding to leave more new players will join if the full released is going to be awesome so hope for the best.

Nice roadmap!

First, the Thronbreaker was promised until 2018, then until May, now until 2019 in the game absolutely nothing to do, its abandoned. Fool me one time - shame to you, fool me second time - shame to me.

10 months without new content is certainly the best that you could come up with, just 10 out of 10. Why the hell did you abandon the plan to stamp 20 cards every two months. It was an excellent plan, cards + balance patches, a month later new patches and so on - thats what everyone was expecting from you!

If anyone does not understand, they want to remove middle row in order for the game fit into the mobile phones.

Thank you of course for all your work, but Gwent isnt only CCG in universe, and MMO players are not Khatiko and 75% of the streamers are already gone, followed by the players in few months. Excellent job Kasia Redesiuk (no).

Last edited:
IsoPanzer;n10808321 said:
6 months? I cannot believe it, it is basically a death sentence, in 6 months without changes the entire Gwent community will simply disappear.

but come back stronger than ever! this revamp needs to happen

I'm honestly really, really happy with this decision. Speaking from someone who no longer plays Gwent at all, for the obvious reasons, I am extremely excited to play this update in 6 months. For those that think the game will *die* with 6 months of nothing; I disagree. I think just like many other games of varying genre, something like this will just be treated as a new launch, and will bring back nearly all of the lost players from before, aswell as many new players.

I also hope that with the new UI, they actually make it so PC and Console have different UI's. It's not a huge problem, but as far as the casual audience is concerned, the way a game *feels* is nearly paramount with 'if a game is *fun*'. Using Hearthstone as the obvious example, simply placing the cards onto the playing field is much more responsive and clean when comparing to the awkward spot clipping and weirdness that Gwent has, which stems from the fact that its the same game client for PC and console.

Anyways, I really am excited, and I hope CDPR makes a truly wonderful game. Although, tbh, I'm thankful not have to place all my eggs in one basket, with Reynad's *The Bazaar* coming out relatively soon, and *Artifact* well on it's way, there is no shortage of exciting card games to look forward to.

All of the changes sound good (besides cutting the rows to 2).

BUT:
6 months is a long period and it pains to wait that long. I think you guys forgot what "beta" means... Please, consider making all of these changes smoothly, one by one. You know, it is beta, it is meant to be tested. I hope you are not gonna just slam everything all at once when the game releases with "here you go guys, that's what we did" only to realize that noone likes the changes and you have to take another 6 months to fix another mistakes.... GUYS, ITS BETA! Use it to test everything, check what change is good or bad, check what the community likes etc. PLEASE, pace the changes and release them as the time passes. Last time you dropped everything at once with MW update you know how it ended...

I stopped playing this game for a few weeks, I saw this announcement on FB and I want to believe that this game can be good again. I loved it, was unique.
I stoped trust CDPR since they chose cartoonish ui and animations ..

Six months is a long time, but I still love playing this game as a casual gamer. I trust CDPR will make some amazing updates in that time and I look forward to it. Being this is the only CCG I care about, I really don't mind them doing what needs to be done to deliver an amazing experience in the near future.

''Don’t worry about your progress, once Homecoming is complete, for a limited time, you will have the ability to mill all of your cards for their full value.''

What does this mean? Some kind of soft reset or you intend to change all the cards again, what about the extra scrap, meteor dust, ore and kegs that many people have. I hope we will keep them too, otherwise what is the point to keep playing for the next 6 months, if all extra resources will be lost.

Would be great if you give us some more information about that.

The fact that you had to postpone publishing a two-page letter does not exactly inspire confidence in the 6 months estimate...

That are some pretty serious and concerning news.
The game pretty much taking an outtime for half a year is pretty depressive, while at the other hand it could likely be exactly what Gwent needs.
Of course this will cost a lot of players during that time, but I am confident that a huge part of them will return afterwards.
But what I'm wondering, have you considered using the Beta as what it is supposed to, a testing area? Personally, I wouldn't have any problem with the game regularly turning around 180° every month and therefore having to relearn most of it. And that would provide you with user feedback, which is necesary for huge changes.

Gwent homecoming sounds pretty good so far. I believe you are focussing on the right things and it will be worth waiting for it.

Lilayah;n10800231 said:
Currently, rows don’t have direct impact on gameplay. If we count the hands of both players, we are looking at 8 rows in total. Our greatest visual assets — card art and premium versions of cards — are too small to shine in the current view. What we’re aiming for is a complete overhaul of the visual experience. The redesign will leave no stone unturned. We are even considering cutting one of the rows and leaving only melee and range. It’s still something that requires extensive testing, but we’re that serious about making things work.
I personally like that there are 3 actual rows. I think the first thing to be removed could be the opponents hand as that is only interacted with by Reveal and that could still work similar to the graveyard. At the other hand if Melee and Ranged row would get effects fitting to their name, I wouldn't mind the siege row being gone.

I don't think I will continue on playing for the whole 6 month, but I will definetly be back afterwards and I'm already looking forward to it.

Does it make sense for us to make any suggestions during the next 6 month? Without knowing what will eventually happen it doesn't seem that meaningfull.

Goro123;n10808991 said:
you intend to change all the cards again
With the rework of the row system they will have to rework a lot of all the cards again. May it be effects based on the played row, or if they remove one row cards that target multiple rows. Furthermore, archetypes will be reworked and create cards might be reworked or limited.

I can't see how this will include less than 25% of all cards such that it only makes sense to allow players to scrap everything.

Last edited:
I really, REALLY hope you guys do not leave us for 6 months in THE SAME meta and than change the game completely - like it was changed from Closed to Open Beta. This will be just horrendous. We need some changes for some decks (Leaders!) and few cards for now, to make the game a bit more fair - give us at least that.

Going 2 Rows... just please do not do this. I know, I guess it will be way more coding for some mechanics, but please just don't do this.

Lilayah;n10800231 said:

• Bringing back The Witcher
Homecoming will bring back a darker aesthetic and mood, more in sync with the original Witcher lore. We’ll change the main menus and in-game shop, as well as work on a consistent UI and UX throughout the entire game.
I hope that means more grit and not more widespread use of horror themes outside of the Monster faction. This is from the perspective of a general fantasy fan who hasn't read or played The Witcher yet but definitely will do so to get more Gwent lore. Gritty and harsh fantasy with a suspenseful threat of horror elements is the most immersive kind. When it becomes commonplace to actually encounter the horror elements they lose their impact and also turn the fantasy world into a theme park.

I for one remain hopeful. I still enjoy Gwent in its current iteration, even if it is troubled by a lot of shortcomings and held back by Create, Wardancers, the coinflip, etc. I'll probably play through, all the way, and hope you remain true to the time estimate :) I'd be more than willing to buy Thronebreaker if things go according to plan.

Best of luck.

Guest 4226291

Goro123;n10808991 said:
''Don’t worry about your progress, once Homecoming is complete, for a limited time, you will have the ability to mill all of your cards for their full value.''

What does this mean? Some kind of soft reset or you intend to change all the cards again, what about the extra scrap, meteor dust, ore and kegs that many people have. I hope we will keep them too, otherwise what is the point to keep playing for the next 6 months, if all extra resources will be lost.

You’re thinking too hard about it. It means exactly what it says. You can mill your entire collection for full value. It doesn’t say or imply anything about taking stuff away from you. They wouldn’t do that.

Goro123;n10808991 said:

Card abilities will change totally, if you have a card which you don't like you can mill it and craft a card of the same rarity for free.

Just watched Merchant's take. He's right. In six months in the direction the game was going, it would be dead anyway. But the problem is...is six months of a dead game going to spell the same outcome?

EternalJxx;n10809271 said:
You’re thinking too hard about it. It means exactly what it says. You can mill your entire collection for full value. It doesn’t say or imply anything about taking stuff away from you. They wouldn’t do that.

:) I asked, because sometimes they are pretty vague about what they mean for things and descriptions. Other then that it is very bold move to just pause for 6 months and redo the core game. Not many companies would do that, if they are not happy with the current state of their product they would just cancel it:).

Guest 4226291

I’m excited for this. I know everyone here is complaining about the wait, and if I’m honest it kind of is disappointing to hear that after the balance patch in May that we won’t see an update for five months. I’m excited for what is coming, but I’m worried about the playerbase. I mean you’ve used this beta moniker for a year, and this is exactly what it’s for. Instead of waiting six months to drop everything all at once, steadily release them (not following a schedule, just release them when you feel you’re ready too). I really would rather these changes be released one-by-one so that we provide feedback consistently and you guys aren’t left with so many problems and everything is changed (also please don’t get rid of a third row!! The whole point of this letter is bringing Gwent home and changing a massive mechanic like that in the same letter is bad!) Releasing huge overhauls all at once like the midwinter update absolutely lead to problems and I feel like doing so once again is only going to cause the very same problems you’ve apologized for and are trying to fix even now.

Six months is a long time in a CCG with an already small playerbase on console. I respect and totally appreciate the time you need and I still believe CD Projekt Red is one of the best game developers ever, I just hope waiting that long doesn’t cause the already dwindling player base to just disappear. I’ll probably play very little over that time because of the lack of new content and no balance changes, and I’ll return. But I hope for your sake no one loses interest by then.

Anyways, thanks for your honesty, and good luck

Lilayah;n10809421 said:
Card abilities will change totally, if you have a card which you don't like you can mill it and craft a card of the same rarity for free.

Thanks for the answer and make Gwent great again:).

Top Bottom