GWENT Homecoming — see what's next for GWENT

+
RVG1926;n10817201 said:
The problem is that we are not back to square one. We are deep into midwinter update mess and we need 6 more months to get back to square one. 4 months forcing us to like midwinter update +6 months just to make Gwent like it was before its a really long time.
​​​​​​
I still see the same create cards in game, the same pull all three cards from the deck with no strategy while unique shieldmaidens got butchered. I really don't get what cdpr is trying to achieve sometimes.. They remove trio card art with the excuse of clogging kegs and then they went and gave every faction the same card (draw all 3 units from deck) with different skins.. Instead of making 1 neutral, just to clog kegs again. Tuirseach hunter is the same boring deal 5 dmg card that every faction has reskined, instead of the old interesting one. While enemy hovering on any card is so bright that burns my eyelids. I don't remember anyone complaining about the old hovering effect.
This is the same Gwent with midwinter update (with the exception of changing the joke placeholder names like "clan warrior" into witcher universe nsmes) . We are a long way from square one my friend.
I meant they are going back to square one. I won't have any issue playing for a few months more, if others do it's their problem. Next october/november i'll profit from the full refund on cards and purchase thronebreaker. People that took a 6 months break won't. That's life.

As for create, it was stated that the change was happening in may along with a balance patch. That's good enough for me.

Challbie12;n10816101 said:
I am simply talking about taking money for a game to develop it and then simply saying "we're gonna start over again"

The lawsuit comes from the fact that the money has been taken to develop something and now they are starting over. That is not legal nor ethical. You can do your own research on this if you would like but I'm sure google can help
Are you serious?

According to the EULA they can close the game at anytime i hope you are aware of that. That said, you aren't going to lose anything, every single cent spent on either kegs or meteorite powder will still be there since you'll be able to mill at full refund once the homecoming patch happens.

The midwinter update took the game in a wrong direction. They simplified cards (both in mechanics and names), made the game more cartoony, introduced a lof of heavy RNG
It seems CDPR finally realized that they went into the wrong direction with the game. A few new cards and balance changes each month wouldn't change that.
Everything I thought is wrong with the game, seems to be adressed:
- a "darker" more Witcher feel of the game, instead of the cartoony one we got with Midwinter
- Row identities, instead of them being completely meaningless.
- Faction identities, instead of each faction playing very similar to each other
- A fix for the coinflip (which is the games biggest problem). Though I don't believe the initiative solution they mentioned is good. I would highly prefer a bidding system (both players decide how many points they are willing to give the enemy at the start of the game, The player with the higher "bid" goes second, while the other player starts with as many points as the other player gave him. This way you have direct control about going first or second and can decide for yourself how much going second is worth to you)
- overhaul of the visuals, so the board and ui match the high quality of the art.
- complete removal of create from ranked

Generally speaking, we need to get away from cards which just encourage points vomitting. We need more synergies and interesting effects. Even if that means, it will be more difficult to balance and new players might have problems understanding it at first. This letter and the complete overhaul of the game gives me hope CDPR understood that making the game simplier won't attract new players but slowly alienate current ones. We can assume the playerbase dropped since the midwinter update and they probabaly realized that the game would slowly die without some drastic changes. And these changes should make game more more unique and highlight the former strenghts of Gwent and not trying to make it more "like hearthstone", as they tried with the midwinter update.

Last edited:
Scryar;n10817431 said:
The midwinter update took the game in a wrong direction. They simplified cards (both in mechanics and names), made the game more cartoony, introduced a lof of heavy RNG
It seems CDPR finally realized that they went into the wrong direction with the game. A few new cards and balance changes each month wouldn't change that.
Everything I thought is wrong with the game, seems to be adressed:
- a "darker" more Witcher feel of the game, instead of the cartoony one we got with Midwinter
- Row identities, instead of them being completely meaningless.
- Faction identities, instead of each faction playing very similar to each other
- A fix for the coinflip (which is the games biggest problem). Though I don't believe the initiative solution they mentioned is good. I would highly prefer a bidding system (both players decide how many points they are willing to give the enemy at the start of the game, The player with the higher "bid" goes second, while the other player starts with as many points as the other player gave him. This way you have direct control about going first or second and can decide for yourself how much going second is worth to you)
- overhaul of the visuals, so the board and ui match the high quality of the art.
- complete removal of create from ranked

Generally speaking, we need to get away from cards which just encourage points vomitting. We need more synergies and interesting effects. Even if that means, it will be more difficult to balance and new players might have problems understanding it at first. This letter and the complete overhaul of the game gives me hope CDPR understood that making the game simplier won't attract new players but slowly alienate current ones. We can assume the playerbase dropped since the midwinter update and they probabaly realized that the game would slowly die without some drastic changes. And these changes should make game more more unique and highlight the former strenghts of Gwent and not trying to make it more like "heartstone", as they tried with the midwinter update.

I definitely agree that simplifying the cards was a mistake. That and their balancing was just not good at all. Hopefully they take care of those two things at release.

I’m disappointed, because I was really looking forward to the stirring up of the meta and to a release of new cards to collect. That was what I expected to read in the roadmap. But I understand the decision of CDPR. Sometimes it’s better to stop bandaging and to start all over again. I think it’s a brave decision for a company to make and I respect that. Can’t promise that I keep playing on a regular basis untill project homecoming is finished. But I definitely will be back after release, and I’m confident that Gwent will be a better game when I return.

Ya, I'll gladly wait.
Despite all the troubles, Gwent is still a great game. (Or at least a highly promising one.)
I don't envy the dev team, those are going to be an extremely tough six months. I wish them luck and success, and a looong vacation afterwards.
Honestly I'd love to give them more time, but I understand the financial constraints.

I'm still enjoying the game as is, but I do see the problems. I'll probably be playing throughout, and certainly in half a year.

Unless of course they release Cyberpunk 2077 in the meantime. Then Gwent can bugger off for a good long while :-D

CDPR, you guys are amazing!
I will be patiently waiting with a lot of faith in you guys! I just found Gwent 1,5 month ago and I have already played it for 80 hours! I am so so pleased with how you listen to the players and how dedicated you are in making it a great game!
I will keep playing and paying for your great game in those six months too.

Cannot wait to have fun with Gwent now and in the future! :)

Last edited:
While sad at first, ultimately I am very happy about this. The planned changes sound spot on - focus on your own strengths and I think everything will turn out great. The possibilities for visuals and lore~feeling are immense. It always bothered me that you have such great art assets and then decided to just dump it on a really plain and boring board/ui in such a diminishing way.

I have no doubt that we will get a better game. Best wishes to the team and a thank you for all their hard work - don't get burnout, but feed off your ambitions and make something grandiose!

Well, I like those changes (apart from the possibility of removing a row, even if it means no interaction with players' hands instead of removing of one of the three rows on the board). I can easily wait those 6 months, because I haven't been playing much since the Midwinter abomination anyways.

" We are even considering cutting one of the rows and leaving only melee and range. It’s still something that requires extensive testing, but we’re that serious about making things work. "

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo......................Please don't do that !

I am simply talking about taking money for a game to develop it and then simply saying "we're gonna start over again"

The lawsuit comes from the fact that the money has been taken to develop something and now they are starting over. That is not legal nor ethical. You can do your own research on this if you would like but I'm sure google can help

The way I see it, is that you payed for kegs or meteorite powder and that’s exactly what you got. Even if it was a true investment that you made, you wouldn’t have a right of restitution. Investment in a project that starts developing always gives a risk of not getting the expected results.

I payed for kegs on two accounts. That was my own free choice. I don’t regret that, I really enjoyed playing this game and I still believe in it’s future.

Thank you for the clarity. It is great to know your big plans instead of being in the dark for 6 months and wonder.

I really like the idea of unique rows being back in an even more enhanced form. I do not, however, like the idea of removing a row to increase visuals. I think it is the opposite as now you will run into issues with # of units limited per row. If you make it back to unlimited, you are just making the cards narrower on board which defeats your intentions.

If the intention of removing a row is to allow mobile versions of the game, please find another solution.

All in all, I am hopeful for a better GWENT in 6 months.

Best of luck!

Doesn't matter. The game is in Beta.

bojerbela rickralsten

I have a little over 100 kegs that I played for over the last few weeks or months and I know exactly what to do with them:

They said two very important things: that another premium keg weekend is coming next week or so and that in 6 months when the game exits beta they will give us full mill value for everything.
So I'll open all my kegs during the premium weekend and not mill a single card until the game launches... then I'll mill my entire collection and BOOM. I can then craft whichever cards I want... no duplicates, no premium cards I don't use. ;)

That's what I call investing smartly... well actually not I just put 2 + 2 together but still. Makes me so hyped for the full launch!

Edit: m1asmatic Don't worry they'll most likely only reset level and other stats. They said in the post that we will get full mill value for everything after Homecoming when the game exits beta, so that means they won't delete our cards. Just ready my entire post and do what I'll do and you're gucci!

Last edited:
An idea for how to deal with the second player having a big advantage turn 1 is to have both players take turn 1 at the same time, but in secret. When both players make their choice the play they make can then be revealed. For example: I play a card and my opponent decides to pass. Once we both lock our choice in then it will be revealed and the game would go on.

I already quit couple of months ago, but I will say this.

When CDPR releases, I WILL be back, promise.
I hope that CDPR and the team putting the effort on gwent will realize this. It is definitely the right call to "fix the game" and take it to the more original direction. It will take time and propably some people will stop playing. Please CDPR Team do not think that we will be gone forever, the playerbase will return if you succeed, even if it would decline in next 6 months.

This is the right call for gwent and players.
<3

Top Bottom