GWENT Homecoming — see what's next for GWENT

+
Thats all nice and well. Lovely promises. But unless you fix your servers that x box players can play without being disconnected every second game then there is no point.

Let us see how Nilfgaard will be balanced as someone in CDPR is clearly in love with that faction...

Clxmj;n10811041 said:
So what I get from the email is that there's going to be a wipe(?) "Don’t worry about your progress, once Homecoming is complete, for a limited time, you will have the ability to mill all of your cards for their full value." And they're going to change the game, go for a Public release and 'hope' everything works out.. Fuck me. Good luck. Wish them the best like, I do but they've a tall task at hand.

If there were a wipe planned, they wouldn't let you keep anything (except barrels bought with real money, as it was when the game went from the CBT to OBT in May 2017).

Most likely this only means that you will be able to mill all the cards CDPR changes for full scraps value.

Nearly 1,000 hours since closed beta here... I've barely been playing since the midwinter update, I came to Gwent because it was a skill based game and during the end of the closed beta I would be in the top 100 on the leaderboard many times. I all but stopped playing since the Midwinter update as the game shifted into create and spawn and such, that's fine for arena mode but I came to Gwent for a skill-based experience and that is no longer the same. I can wait 6 months for an update designed to make Gwent great again. I'm already not playing more than 1 tier daily rewards so the 6 month content drought won't change anything for me, it can only get better when the revamp hits.

Yeah, don't want to get hyped. But this is exactly the kind of things people wanted for ages. If tis turns out to be ture, Gwent just might get to where it should be. REALLY glad about the grittier look and the row mechanics.

Seems the new project lead (keep fogetting her name, sorry) did wonders for Gwent.

All I wanted from GWENT was Witcher 3's Gwent with some more decks and cards, and the ability to play against friends. I thought Gwent in Witcher 3 was almost perfect in terms of gameplay, aesthetics and audio, and fleshing it out more would've been nice. I was so disappointed when I played this game, and this update sounds like it's stepping even further away from W3's Gwent. Although I'm sure there are a fans of the game as it is, and as it will be, it's just not for me.

Tydeous;n10811291 said:
All I wanted from GWENT was Witcher 3's Gwent with some more decks and cards, and the ability to play against friends. I thought Gwent in Witcher 3 was almost perfect in terms of gameplay, aesthetics and audio, and fleshing it out more would've been nice. I was so disappointed when I played this game, and this update sounds like it's stepping even further away from W3's Gwent. Although I'm sure there are a fans of the game as it is, and as it will be, it's just not for me.

TW3's GWENT is fine as a mini game but it was massively threadbare mechanically and in terms of content. Still impressive for a mini-game and a template for a bigger game but just expanding it as it was was never gonna cut it.

I understand where you're coming from though (scroll back a bit and you can read my thoughts on the state of GWENT and what this means going forward) but even so, it wouldn't be enough to just port and expand the minigame GWENT.

I think it´s quite important they have realised there were some mistakes, and thus, try to remove them. The moment we´ll have a final masterpiece in our hands will have been worth of the waiting :yes:

This is great, looks like right decisions all around. If anything, 6 months to spend time without worrying about Gwent is a blessing. Flee for vacation, you fools. :p

Clxmj;n10811041 said:
So what I get from the email is that there's going to be a wipe(?) "Don’t worry about your progress, once Homecoming is complete, for a limited time, you will have the ability to mill all of your cards for their full value." And they're going to change the game, go for a Public release and 'hope' everything works out.. Fuck me. Good luck. Wish them the best like, I do but they've a tall task at hand.

No wipes are planned.

Been reading a few posts here and some people raise a good question. Will Gwent be alive in 6 months?

I'm not that serious of a Gwent player so waiting isn't a big deal. I have plenty of other games to play. But the fanbase is dwindling down, isn't it? The major streamers all left too.

What will keep players interested for 6 months? Or do you plan on launching an aggressive marketing campaign to promote this "new" Gwent as a new start?

CallMeHoot;n10811331 said:
TW3's GWENT is fine as a mini game but it was massively threadbare mechanically and in terms of content. Still impressive for a mini-game and a template for a bigger game but just expanding it as it was was never gonna cut it.

I understand where you're coming from though (scroll back a bit and you can read my thoughts on the state of GWENT and what this means going forward) but even so, it wouldn't be enough to just port and expand the minigame GWENT.

Well, you're entitled to your opinion of course, but I would've played a direct port with new decks, cards and the ability to play against friends an awful lot. Likely for hundreds of hours, I really adored it. Hell, I spent ages just playing the mini-game in TW3 as I loved it a lot. So to me, it would've been enough. But I've seen the changes made for this version, and none of them inspired me at all. The aesthetic changes, the overly complex additions to the game, the animated card artwork, the removal of limitations to what row you can put a card in, the lack of the awesome TW3 gwent music... they all were massively off-putting. The only part of GWENT that I felt was better than TW3's Gwent was the Roach card. I loved seeing him.

It's a shame as I was really excited for GWENT when I downloaded it a couple of months ago, as I hadn't expected it to be like this at all. I may return once that SP campaign is added, but I'm not certain. Hopefully the changes they are going to make will be enough to encourage me back.

First of all, it's good that they are open about everything and that they are ready to commit themselves to make this game better. If they trust themselves, then I trust them, too.
I don't think Gwent is going to die, it WAS going to die if they continued walking the midwinter path. Now, I don't know if they'll succeed, I honestly hope so. I know I won't be moving to any other card games (tried the majority of them and dislike the mana system in general) because I regard Gwent as the best of them all by far. So, if it lives, I will continue playing. If not, my ccg days will be over.
And don't worry too much about Artifact or MTG. The most important thing right now is that Gwent takes the right path. If that doesn't happen, other games being popular or not will not change a single thing. Let's take it one step at a time.
I believe in this game and I'll stick around. It is unique and it has a huge potential. I wish all the best to the dev team!

Like others, I completely trust CDPR on this overhaul.

However, as a new-ish player but one who has purchased well over 150 kegs—and will likely purchase more—I just hope that the "limited time" I will have to mill cards is more than just a few weeks! I have limited time myself to play (mostly weekends) so it will take me awhile to figure out what cards will be worthwhile keeping and which ones to mill.

Also, while I agree that the wonderful artwork on the cards needs to shine, I do NOT wish to see the rows reduced. That has been the essence of the game since it was in Witcher 3. Take your time figuring out the rows and where the cards belong, but please keep three rows WITH proper editing of the cards. This should bring the game back to the strategic game that it originally was. It will also give players more to think about: not only the relative strength of the card, but where it will be best positioned on the board.

And finally, I do not envy Burza46 over the next 6 months! I don't know how much he's making as the public face of Gwent, but kindly have this reply serve as my endorsement for him receiving a pay raise! :)

Snake_Foxhounder;n10811511 said:
Been reading a few posts here and some people raise a good question. Will Gwent be alive in 6 months?

I'm not that serious of a Gwent player so waiting isn't a big deal. I have plenty of other games to play. But the fanbase is dwindling down, isn't it? The major streamers all left too.

What will keep players interested for 6 months? Or do you plan on launching an aggressive marketing campaign to promote this "new" Gwent as a new start?

100% they'll market the hell out of it. Don't be surprised if there's a bunch of articles that drop around that time. They'd be nuts not to poke Kotaku and other publications to get them to have a look at the new content. And if Thronebreaker is dropping at the same time... well, obviously there'll be eyes on it. Thronebreaker was the thing that got interest in GWENT fired up in the first place.

On the other hand, GWENT is unique, and it's springboarding off an increasingly popular property that's getting a netflix series, so it does have a few as-yet untapped advantages to keep its name in circulation and draw additional players. Some streamers are just starting with it (Kripp, for example), and others aren't going anywhere (Swim). The streamers will likely come back if they feel GWENT puts itself back in order. Lifecoach I'm sure would be happy to return, and CDPR will likely sponsor a few people just to get the initial eyes going (and hopefully they'll stick around after as Kripp has suggested he will).

Finally... there's no really hard numbers on players. It's mostly assumption that the base is dwindling, as far as I can tell. There's obviously some bleed, but I don't know if it's as drastic as people think. If it were, CDPR probably wouldn't a) have a 6 month timetable or b) bother. If a game is properly dying, companies pull the plug simply because design costs money, and I don't think those awesome card arts come free either.

I see no signs of panic out of CDPR that I know to look for when games are obviously in serious trouble. That suggests to me they're at least confident GWENT will survive until Homecoming hits. And if Thronebreaker is as good as they clearly feel it is, that'll probably be a massive shot in the arm.

Sounds like a good plan overall. Bring flavor back to the rows, de-emphasizing the random advantage of coin flip and emphasizing skill is definitely the correct direction to go for a unique experience. Also the aesthetic adjustment is welcomed news. Only negative comment is that I definitely think I'd prefer eight rows over six (hands included obviously) - though I can't be certain since I've never tried it the other way. Take the time to get it right.

Tydeous;n10811521 said:
It's a shame as I was really excited for GWENT when I downloaded it a couple of months ago, as I hadn't expected it to be like this at all. I may return once that SP campaign is added, but I'm not certain. Hopefully the changes they are going to make will be enough to encourage me back.

If you've only played GWENT recently as you say, then I feel for you. It wasn't always as it is now.

In fact this entire situation is what CDPR are trying to reverse by this 6 month redesign. It was a lot closer to the minigame previously (although still fundamentally different).

Thinking about it, perhaps my issues around this version of GWENT and TW3's Gwent (which I thought is vastly better) could be solved by introducing a "Classic" version of the game to Gwent as a separate mode. It could just feature the same cards found in Witcher 3 & DLC, same aesthetics, music and gameplay as it had in Witcher 3, except for the added ability to play against other players. This would allow people like me to install the game and play, plus I'm sure others out there would prefer the simpler version of the game.

This idea isn't exactly new. The Blood Bowl video games allowed players to either play the game as the designers had intended it, or to play the game using the tabletop rules that were established decades ago. Their classic mode worked very well, and placed the choice in the hands of the players.

Well I don't believe any of this if someone else said it, but damn it's CD Projekt Red, I have faith in you guys. Pretty sure I'll always have time to play a few rounds of Gwent after the update.

Top Bottom