GWENT Homecoming — see what's next for GWENT

+
So, in the last TWIG (April 6th) it was discussed that April 17th we would be getting new skins and 35 premium cards (Not new cards, just more animated ones, I presume....) as well as bug fixes (especially console.)

It looks like with this week's news, that release will now be broken up into two releases?
With one in April — it will introduce the missing Premium Cards as well as faction specific board skins —
and one in May, which will balance out the game (Wardancer included) with a new approach to “Create”.

With this news, are we still doing the premium Keg event in April, or will that be pushed back after this large news update?
(If we are doing Premium Keg Weekend, I presume it will be after the 17th so we can get access to those new Premium cards.... Probably the 21st and 22nd....)

Raifin

After months of constant monthly reworks of the game, constant fiddling and ending up in a state noone likes, they decide they are going to spend an entire year on the next one. Seems like a better move would be to go back to a closed beta, get loads of feedback to every change, and not bother trying to create a proper patch schedule, update when needed. Kill ranked, kill the pro ladder and only focus on the tournaments after the game is in the place you need it. Because, lets face it, rushing the pro scene is what has lead to this - they can't actually update their game when they need to any more.

In the spirit of honesty, i have to say im disappointed with these news. I did expect Thronebreaker to be pushed back to later 2018, but after these small upcoming updates in April and May, i was kinda expecting a decent update in the Summer with finally new cards and strategies.

I do appreciate CDPR trying to go back to the good ol' days of Gwent - lots of players just support the devs with positivity even when they mess up, but i prefer to speak up and say Gwent has become less enjoyable than it has been in the past, and that should never happen.

Finally, like most of the players, i will definitely be leaving Gwent for these empty months (actually, i havent even played for these 2 weeks), but will definitely return when Thronebreaker is released. I got plenty of other games to keep me busy, just hope the dedicated Gwent players that dont play other videogames can cope with this new calendar.

(P.S- not gone yet, gotta check those new Premiums and try my luck at the Premium Weekend...)
:victory:

One thing I know about CDPR is that when they request our wait and patience, they deliver. Not many companies you can say that nowadays.

I like to remind all that this is not only the first card game CDPR ever developed, but also the first ONLINE game they developed. Give them time

I am excited for these changes, and I understand the need to make this tough decision. I am a little confused about how things are going to be tested... Will these new mechanics all be tested in-house? Or will there be a smaller subset of the beta? What will prevent the new version from being another "Midwinter Update", without input from the community? I personally didn't think Midwinter was such a horrible change, and I have faith that you will release something great. No question there. I guess I just don't understand how the new version of the game will be released in a "finished" state, without any beta phase. Maybe I'm thinking too literally, and whether the game is considered "in beta", or not, is irrelevant.

Bottom line, Gwent will return in 6 months with one massive update, because the current development pipeline is stymied by making small monthly changes, and, a significant course correction is necessary to get the game where it needs to be. The community will then be invited back. Correct?

6 months for a "hope" to make game good again. The same hype was before midwinter update too and look where it lead Gwent.
​​​​​​
Some of the things that will change :

1. Units with row buffs.
Personally i think it's over complicating the game (especially for new players) while in truth it has high chances to be something like current slave driver (eg you face a X archetype? Then place melee row to counter enemy. You face Y archetype? Then place in siege row to counter enemy)
Pre mid winter update the row locked units were fine. By adding row limitations to some strong units like henselt machines, you weaken it slightly while buffing weather at the same time. Which helps in both cases. And it's much easier to balance.

2. Bringing back darker theme
Again, it was pretty much fine before midwinter update.
Some old screenshots i found :
Old board : https://edge.alluremedia.com.au/m/k/2016/10/BattleScreen_2.101.jpg

New board :
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/D9DAviYzrhw/maxresdefault.jpg

Old board looked wooden and more realistic. New board looks like a cartoony painted paper. Adding more drawings to the paperboard won't do much Board needs to look like more 3D to be in par with premium card art.

3. Removing create cards.
Those cards should be removed from the game (or at least in ranked) ASAP. Not after 6 months. It's one of the big reasons that game sucks right now.

4. Removing 2 out of 6 rows.
There we go again with the failed midwinter formula. How about not removing anything that people haven't complained about, and just remove things like create cards that people haven't stop complaining about.

Like many, i believe 6 months is too much time to wait for a game to "try" to be good again. They should have reverted the midwinter update and only add the non create cards but now it's too late. Hearthstone just released a major expansion. Artifact is just around the corner. And Gwent still struggles to fix the mess from a 4 month old patch.

PS. Still no mention of trio art cards.

If I would summarize my opinion about the changes, it would sound something like this: "YESSS!!!"
With the only exeption of the row removal. There is this clever saying, "Don't fix what is not broken!" While I agree, the card-arts should shine, I would put gameplay above the aesthetics anytime.

So... I've been playing Gwent since early november 2016 with over 4000 games played. I've witnessed in these long months a slow, tumultuous process of development.

Its been more than half a year that i keep posting about how the game felt that had to long time plan, with changes and the reverse of those changes being implemented several times. It was obvious to everyone what was happening. The unbelievably slow development, the lack of communication, the implementation of a competitive scene in beta (lolz?), the stripping of row and faction identity, changes in golds, weather, spies and the final nail in the coffin: the winter update and its massive fck up.

Ppl always argued that this was a beta and it was fine. Well. The problem is that this aint Beta for a LONG time now. Gwent's communication and market strategy has managed Gwent as it has already been released for quiet some time now.

I love gwent, despite being mad at it. Its the only card game that i've ever played i dont intent on playing any other. And i'm mad because a substantially increasing number of ppl has been saying whats wrong in the game FOR MORE THAN A YEAR. And yet then ploughed through for now rolling things back, wasting a year of money, time, and most importantly fan base and loyalty.

While I do not share the fanboyism of many others over CDPR, i do need to commend them over this action, as most of the community has done. Nevertheless, I've stopped playing Gwent as soon as i've read the roadmap. I will obviously, come back in October to see if I can get the same kind of experience i've had while playing in closed beta - definitely when i felt the game more appealing and genuine.

Edit: For obvious reasons, removing a row is the kind of absurd thought that lead us here. Its just as absurd as making all cards agile.
A full (or partial) refund of kegs bought should also be in order.

Last edited:
I am very new player, just started playing a month ago, but longtime Magic player who got sick of the endless releases and zillions of cards; too much crap to keep up with. Gwent is BY FAR the best CCG I have ever played. Despite being new, I DO understand what the game was and how it has transformed, as I've watched lots of now-defunct Youtube videos of the game through its many changes. The mid-winter update was great despite the Create mechanic that I completely understand the aggravation about.

I'm a bit curious as to why so many people are against eliminating a row. The rows now mean basically nothing, so making them matter again would be good whether there are two or three or even five. Why is this such a big deal to people? I see LOTS of posts complaining about the elimination of a row, but noone explains why eliminating a row would be a bad thing.

I fully intend to be playing in 6 months and cant wait to see what CDPR can do. Having given up on Magic long ago, it feels great to be involved in a CCG again.

Maybe I'm still just adjusting to this news...My biggest concern:

Removing a row sounds scary! If the goal is to find the greatness of Gwent again, why make another change to the basic foundation of the game? Giving the art more room to shine - great! But, the card mechanics also need room to breathe. Maybe I'm only skeptical because so many card abilities will be affected by this - G: Igni/Aard, Gold weather, Treason, Sheldon Skaggs, Nivellen, Succubus, just to name a few - but I just can't see this being a positive change that will promote strategic thinking and reward skillful play. Going back to row-locked cards makes more sense.

A lot of people have been enjoying the game as it is. I hope you don't let the vocal minority dictate the future of Gwent. It may not be as bad as you think!

Best of luck in the coming months.

I can't believe that this is the outcome. You have gone and let down your whole community with this post about how you're going to "fix the game" You have absolutely abandoned your players and taken their money. You have also indicated that for a "limited time" people will be able to break down cards for full value. You have just opened yourselves up to a lawsuit. You are basically accepting people's money right now and indicating that you might not be able to give them value after a limited time.

Players please reply to this post as it will lead to me opening up a post about EVERYONE getting their money back. Being lied to repeatedly has just started a fire inside me and I would really like to know who is on board because this won't be left unchecked. I will make whatever moves necessary to bring this company to justice. You have litterally just broken promises and as a company there should be reprecussions to this.

Challbie12;n10814901 said:
I can't believe that this is the outcome. You have gone and let down your whole community with this post about how you're going to "fix the game" You have absolutely abandoned your players and taken their money. You have also indicated that for a "limited time" people will be able to break down cards for full value. You have just opened yourselves up to a lawsuit. You are basically accepting people's money right now and indicating that you might not be able to give them value after a limited time.

Players please reply to this post as it will lead to me opening up a post about EVERYONE getting their money back. Being lied to repeatedly has just started a fire inside me and I would really like to know who is on board because this won't be left unchecked. I will make whatever moves necessary to bring this company to justice. You have litterally just broken promises and as a company there should be reprecussions to this.

I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. What exactly is your problem with the "break down cards for full value post?

Lilayah;n10800231 said:
When you play GWENT, you are a leader of an army from the world of The Witcher. We want to put more effort into reflecting that in in-game mechanics and visuals. As an example, we would like to introduce a preferred row for some cards that would grant them additional benefits when put on that row. Also, rows in the front and back would always grant a different buff when a unit is placed there.

I'll have to point that out - even now people (well, at least the more experienced players) are trying not to place their cards in the middle (Range) row a lot (mainly cause of Gold Weather and White Frost). I think you should make all three rows giving some buffs OR even penalties to some cards (row limit is barely a thing right now). Just don't leave on of the rows completely out of the picture. Even that for example - the ST faction relies mainly on Archers and Brawlers, so their units are more logically to benefit from Melee and Ranged, while NR with their knights and machines are more logically to get buffs on Melee and Support Rows. Logic in stuff is something people look at a lot and this will be a nice touch in that direction. It will even open space for designing Gold and Silver cards for those factions that have next to zero preferences to a said row, that will "open" a benefit for a specific unit on a different than it's preferred row.

I just want to clarify, to everyone fearing the removal of a row

If you see CDPR's post some pages back, they think of hands as rows too. So what could happen is that your opponent's hand goes out of view, and is accessed in a similar way to the graveyard (click a specific area to view). And for those to whom the concept may seem alien, remember that you could not physically see your opponent's hand in TW3 Gwent either ;)

As for Reveal NG, I think it will be hard to adjust, but since the cards to reveal and conceal already pop up in a different window, it will really only make a difference when it comes to checking what cards your opponent has. Venendal's options could also pop up in a separate window. Finally I see a good advantage with this if that's the case: In the case of a mirror match, each player won't be able to tell which card is which merely from the spot it occupies in your hand. Right now you can reveal fire scorpions or NG Knights that your opponent has taken by simply observing "where" they are in the hand and that's a possible way to fix some of those problems.

This is of course merely speculation at this point. But I think that is the best way one can go about removing a row and magnifying cards :) At least, without a major rework to one of the oldest NG archetypes :p

StrykerxS77x;n10815011 said:
I honestly have no idea what you are talking about. What exactly is your problem with the "break down cards for full value post?

You clearly didn't read that it will be for a "limited time" and are not fully able to comment on my post until you have done so. That is in all forms robbery. In case you're confused I invite you to re visit the laws put in place about prepaid credit cards that used to take money off every month not used. This is exactly the same thing here. I hope you do some research before quoting me again.

Cheers

I don't know. Only two rows? Too drastic change. Just for the esthetics? I don't like two rows. I liked it when rows really mattered - when only certain cards could be put on each one. Now, you made those rows useless, unfortunately.

I also like when the positioning of cards really matters. Where you put it in the row. On the left, right, in the middle. Everything should matter. It gives a great depth to the game.

A couple of posts have been removed. It's understandable that this announcement may be upsetting. People are free to offer criticisms, but the discussion will remain civil.

There is no other way. So it is written. Thus it is so.

Challbie12;n10815081 said:
You clearly didn't read that it will be for a "limited time" and are not fully able to comment on my post until you have done so. That is in all forms robbery. In case you're confused I invite you to re visit the laws put in place about prepaid credit cards that used to take money off every month not used. This is exactly the same thing here. I hope you do some research before quoting me again.
Cheers

This is the same policy that has been employed since the closed beta for every major change in gameplay. Players will be given ample notice of when the grace period will begin, and they'll have days (or more!) to decide what cards they wish to mill at an even exchange. No part of this is geared toward taking advantage of players in any way. Quite to the contrary, it's focused on ensuring that players are given the opportunity to freely modify their decks according to the new mechanics but also keeping the game as balanced as possible across the board.

Last edited:
Challbie12;n10815081 said:

Cheers

Milling cards for full value has always been for a limited time. I don't know how this can be construed as robbery.

I think you might be misunderstanding what they are doing. This isn't going to have any effect on the money you spent on cards. You will still have those cards. This is just an option to switch out cards that you might not like anymore once they make changes.

Last edited:
Top Bottom