GWENT Homecoming — see what's next for GWENT

+
So much doom and gloom (especially in the first pages). Will people ever stop complaining? This is by far the best new we could possibly get.

After midwinter gwent was drifting away (row identity and rng bs), on top of the already existing problems (hi coinflip). Thank god they took the time, went back to square one and remade the game as it should've been, a game that reward skill and not luck and that have depth and strategy (not that there isn't now, but it's safe to admit it was quite watered down in the last year).

For those saying that no one will play gwent in 6 months, well you are wrong, plain and simple. People will go back to gwent, new people will play thronebreaker and hence try gwent, and the true core players won't leave the game at all. Like me, i have no plans about stopping playing the game. I'll play every day (as long life allow me to) and i'll look forward the change, for the better.

Meanwhile we'll have the upcoming may patch that will deal with create in the meantime and will fix the balance issues in the meta (brouver+yeavinn, wardancer, hopefully henselt and dun banner, etc...). I can live with that until fall.

And for those that will leave, well your loss. You won't be missed.

Guest 4226291

Goro123;n10809541 said:
:) I asked, because sometimes they are pretty vague about what they mean for things and descriptions. Other then that it is very bold move to just pause for 6 months and redo the core game. Not many companies would do that, if they are not happy with the current state of their product they would just cancel it:).

Agreed. And yeah sorry if my response was rude. But yeah I was unaware though that they were changing bronzes - again. I really dislike that idea. We have so many bronzes that we are used to as well as important parts or rather the backbone of all archetypes. Changing them for the third or fourth time is saddening, especially since MidWinter they promises no more massive changes to the game. And 6 months is very long. We’ll have to wait and see I guess. Although allowing us to mill our entire collection at full value means we’re getting the ability to just craft basically every Gold in the game. Idk I really wish that we didn’t have to wait so long.

Challbie12;n10815081 said:
You clearly didn't read that it will be for a "limited time" and are not fully able to comment on my post until you have done so. That is in all forms robbery. In case you're confused I invite you to re visit the laws put in place about prepaid credit cards that used to take money off every month not used. This is exactly the same thing here. I hope you do some research before quoting me again.

Cheers
With this they are basically giving 50k+ scraps (you have 6 months to save duplicates, personally i've already 1700+ waiting) for free to the "beta players" when the game launch next fall, just for MILLING DUPLICATES and cards you may not want anymore and you complain? Holy moly bro.

SigilFey;n10815341 said:
A couple of posts have been removed. It's understandable that this announcement may be upsetting. People are free to offer criticisms, but the discussion will remain civil.

There is no other way. So it is written. Thus it is so.

This is the same policy that has been employed since the closed beta for every major change in gameplay. Players will be given ample notice of when the grace period will begin, and they'll have days (or more!) to decide what cards they wish to mill at an even exchange. No part of this is geared toward taking advantage of players in any way. Quite to the contrary, it's focused on ensuring that players are given the opportunity to freely modify their decks according to the new mechanics but also keeping the game as balanced as possible across the board.

This is the wrong way to try and explain this. This is ENTIRELY geared at taking advantage of players because it's putting a delay on something that people have already spent money on to RE-DEVELOP the game entirely. I don't think many people read this post very clearly but that's ok

As much crap I talk on these forums its only because I truly love what the game can be.

I'm very happy to see the developers have the same vision. Every thing I've ever complained about is set to fix in the next six months...not to be negative but the way things have gone I'm expecting 9 months.

this is still the only game I really play. Bought far cry 5 but does not hold my interest, however playing the same cards over and over seems to. This shows how great of a game it can be. I'm glad the developers are given the freedom to give it another go, had this been any other company they could have cancelled it.

casuals will come and go, just create a product your hard core fan's will love and once the netflix series hits youll have a whole new batch of players. Also preferred rows = great idea. Removing seige = bad idea. Cards can be enlarged while cutting much of the useless part of the play field. Build in your own tracker and let us see whats is in deck or have an icon similar to grave yard to see hand.. Who cares if reveal game play suffers...NG needs a complete rework anyway.

I've very satisfied overall, however you may need to add some other small updates / events in that time. The hardcore players are here and support you, no matter how much we complain sometimes. Best of luck. Patience is a virtue we are known to have

I will be realistic. The weight of the Witcher franchise is a big factor in promoting any product, so nothing is impossible in relation to products connected with the franchise. With that being said, 6 months is a really long time (probably 8 based on the game's track record). I can't see the game surviving that long, so I presume this is a good bye. With that being said, thank you for this amazing experience. The hours of fun were totally worth the money I invested in the game. In the unlikely chance this project survives, I promise I will continue to be a regular player.

PippoPedroso;n10815931 said:
I will be realistic. The weight of the Witcher franchise is a big factor in promoting any product, so nothing is impossible in relation to products connected with the franchise. With that being said, 6 months is a really long time (probably 8 based on the game's track record). I can't see the game surviving that long, so I presume this is a good bye. With that being said, thank you for this amazing experience. The hours of fun were totally worth the money I invested in the game. In the unlikely chance this project survives, I promise I will continue to be a regular player.

Thank you!

This post is exactly what I'm talking about! This is what players are thinking and feeling! Thanks so much for this post because honestly this is just day one. Just you guys wait for the 6 months you're talking about. You'll have one guy in here and even the Devs won't have jobs. Great job guys!

I hate to say this because it's been kind of a running Joke as of late.

But we were still testing this game in a beta phase.
This is kind of how closed beta testers felt..when open beta started with the exception open beta is 100x more players

At some point we should have all realised that gwent was going to move into a finished product

But obviously after time cuz beta test(just like in closed beta) they realised "something was amiss"

and figured it needed changed up.
So all in all this has given them 2 fully fleshed out beta tests
Hopefully with the data sheets and community involvement on what works and don't work ..they can make the Finished product

Challbie12;n10815081 said:
You clearly didn't read that it will be for a "limited time" and are not fully able to comment on my post until you have done so. That is in all forms robbery. In case you're confused I invite you to re visit the laws put in place about prepaid credit cards that used to take money off every month not used. This is exactly the same thing here. I hope you do some research before quoting me again.

Cheers

not to be rude but cdpr delivered a product, they are not charging you a monthly fee to play. The only purchases that are made are optional. They are not canceling the game, even if they did I don't think they legally have to refund anyone as products come and go. Should I sue EA for releasing a new Fifa each year when I poured money into microtransactions on the previous? That's bigger robbery to me.

as far as full mill value goes, maybe they should prolong the time to mill your cards. We don't even know how long that is. It's nice to have the option though. Like I said I'm not trying to be rude, could you explain the reasoning for a lawsuit when a physical product still exists. I mean the game clearly says beta, all money spent is at risk since we paid into a "work in progress" game knowingly.

I'm very excited about this major announcement!

Let's all hope for a smooth & quick ride for the next six months!

See you on the Battlefield

V/r
Rayon 34

Mancoon1980;n10816041 said:
not to be rude but cdpr delivered a product, they are not charging you a monthly fee to play. The only purchases that are made are optional. They are not canceling the game, even if they did I don't think they legally have to refund anyone as products come and go. Should I sue EA for releasing a new Fifa each year when I poured money into microtransactions on the previous? That's bigger robbery to me.

as far as full mill value goes, maybe they should prolong the time to mill your cards. We don't even know how long that is. It's nice to have the option though. Like I said I'm not trying to be rude, could you explain the reasoning for a lawsuit when a physical product still exists. I mean the game clearly says beta, all money spent is at risk since we paid into a "work in progress" game knowingly.

I am simply talking about taking money for a game to develop it and then simply saying "we're gonna start over again"

The lawsuit comes from the fact that the money has been taken to develop something and now they are starting over. That is not legal nor ethical. You can do your own research on this if you would like but I'm sure google can help

I love it. The road map that is. Having skimmed through the comments I'm guessing not many people are familiar with videogame development, but personally I'm glad they're doing this. Most good videogames have gone though a heavy iterative process, and you could make the same comparison between witcher 1, 2 and 3. While it's sucks that they're not going to patch all the things are at broken anytime soon, it's like refurbishing a room just before the building is demolished. CDPR has the resources and determination to see Gwent through, I'm not too worried about any short term hits to the number of players. If they make it work it'll bounce back eventually.

This is totally ok what CDPR do. We need rework of game so that Gwent can become very popular and succesfull game. 6 months will go fast and i will play still daily

Challbie12;n10816101 said:
I am simply talking about taking money for a game to develop it and then simply saying "we're gonna start over again"

The lawsuit comes from the fact that the money has been taken to develop something and now they are starting over. That is not legal nor ethical. You can do your own research on this if you would like but I'm sure google can help

"starting over" isn't really accurate. They are making big changes but the certainly aren't starting from scratch. For example the work they did on the card art/premiums is obviously going to remain for the most part. What you spent your money on is still here, it is not disappearing.

The game is still here and it's still being developed as it has always been so I don't see an argument for anything illegal or even unethical.

Last edited:
I agree with Merchant that this was the only move they had. Truth is that CDPR started making changes here and there to try to band-aid deep issues, that one after the other ended up turning the game into a Frankenstein of what Gwent was and should be.

I think they need a time to revamp from the ground up what the game is, and fix the many design problems once and for all. How to really fix the coin-flip? Card advantage? Dry-passing and carry-over? Row and faction identity? All these can't be band-aided, they need to be designed as the foundations on which the game is built.

They need to build something like the a color pie and clearly define what kind of mechanics and properties each faction is allowed to have as primary/secondary/tertiary mechanics. (Like this:
HTML:
https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05
.) And then build every single card with that already defined and having that in mind. In fact, ideally there would be someone responsible for going through each and every design and checking whether it satisfies faction identity.

They need to build the cards considering the coin-flip solution and row mechanics (and hopefully the return of faction passives), and not vice-versa. I wasn't pessimistic about the initiative solution, but balancing a game foundational mechanic around preexisting cards is simply like putting the cart to move the horses.

this game is one of a few games i'm played over 1000 hour but it's kinda bored right now cuz rng create.. etc but 6 month to bring gwent back hmm ok i'll wait

May be you can have form a temporary balance team.
just to balance something every month to keep people stay around.
also to try some reworked old mechanic and make people familiar with it.(apart from those row mechanic and new mechanic you'll include in the future)

PS. so this mean after 6 month all old player can have almost a full collection?
with full value mill include any duplicates?

DMaster2;n10815571 said:
After midwinter gwent was drifting away (row identity and rng bs), on top of the already existing problems (hi coinflip). Thank god they took the time, went back to square one and remade the game as it should've been, a game that reward skill and not luck and that have depth and strategy

The problem is that we are not back to square one. We are deep into midwinter update mess and we need 6 more months to get back to square one. 4 months forcing us to like midwinter update +6 months just to make Gwent like it was before its a really long time.
​​​​​​
I still see the same create cards in game, the same pull all three cards from the deck with no strategy while unique shieldmaidens got butchered. I really don't get what cdpr is trying to achieve sometimes.. They remove trio card art with the excuse of clogging kegs and then they went and gave every faction the same card (draw all 3 units from deck) with different skins.. Instead of making 1 neutral, just to clog kegs again. Tuirseach hunter is the same boring deal 5 dmg card that every faction has reskined, instead of the old interesting one. While enemy hovering on any card is so bright that burns my eyelids. I don't remember anyone complaining about the old hovering effect.
This is the same Gwent with midwinter update (with the exception of changing the joke placeholder names like "clan warrior" into witcher universe nsmes) . We are a long way from square one my friend.

Top Bottom