GWENT Homecoming — see what's next for GWENT

+
the gap is the only way to make meaningful change. CDPR does some of its best work when not knee jerk reacting to community ideas. CDPR's showing a lot of learning through the text of this announcement.

My concern is that the track record in terms of delivering on time (Thronebreaker, end of Jan season, the push back of the homecoming announcement) may result in the delay being far more than 6 months

On another note, CDPR's being pretty generous. Certain other publishers would just announce the end of the game, then announce 'gwent 2' forcing people to rebuy their cards and rebrand the game using the same assets

NomanPeopled;n10829841 said:
Absolutely not. I'm not building and testing decks that might suck next weekend.
Small +-1point changes dont destroy decks, its just balance.
cdpr ignored all feedback since midwinter update , maybe you are happy with braindead elven scout+warduncer, many others dont.

And I said I was fine with those where where exactly? Keeping things as is and hotfixes every few days aren't the only imaginable alternatives.

Explain to the newbie why their first hard-earned card just got worse because quite possibly an entirely different deck was slightly too good. Explain to the competitive player why Thunder/Panther/Mandrake now kills their engine. Explain to the casual player why they have to re-check all their cards every Sunday.
Even ignoring all that, a week is too little time for the metagame to even settle enough to get reliable data on what to balance.

A game that has to be hotfixed every week is a failure or a goof-fest.

Last edited:
This story thing, achievements and all are really a blast for this game; a thing that i'm waiting since the very beggining.
First time i played Gwent yet on PC closed beta i hated the game. It was the same which i had so much fun looking for every single card player on Witcher 3, but yet aren't the same...
Anyway, the waters move on and i jumped again on it months later already in the open beta on Xbox. Only then i can say it turned into a more pleasant thing (to me at least), even with some things still bothering me (i'm looking to you, monster decks focused on wild hunt cards!), but now, at the same time you announce big things comming, you say that you're thinking to remove one of the three rows? Seriously!?
I can misunderstood something cause english isn't my first language, but if i took it right and you trully means what i understood, then THIS could be a way to unbalance more the thing.
Please, PLEASE! don't do this!!! Let the board rows like it always was with the three rows each side of the board (if you wanna "cut" something, just hide the players hand behind some input button). What game needs is BALANCE, maybe attach specific cards to specific rows like in the original game (same for specific weather cards) and let other cards beeing able to be in any of them, not one row less.

Last edited:
My thoughts and feelings about HOMECOMING: exited and frightened.

Frightend because I really like the game (ok, I'm addicted) and I hate the idea about loosing a row. I like movement a lot, all my decks till now were dependent on that mechanic to work out. So please keep the rows! Also, I'm not sure if a complete revision of the game is necessary. There are thousand of players, having a lot fun, investing houndreds of hours... I guess the product is extraordinary, even now.

On the other side I'm eagerly looking forward to thronebreaker, especially because of the key pillars named in the open letter and the feeling of creative power while reading it.

My personal wish list:
More Cards and viable decks ;)

&

More player-to-player-interaction and not just rank grinding.

One idea about that: Cards milling system is just fair, but what motivated me most in Gwent of Witcher 3 was the gambling for new cards. If I have a card twice or I don't need it, I would like to bet it in a game for a card I want against another player owning that card.

For example: two players play for a staked rare card they choose. Winner takes the card. If they play for a epic, winner takes the loosers staked card and the looser gets 4 kegs. If they play for a legendary the winner takes loosers staked card and looser gets 7 kegs and a random epic.

English is obviously not my mother language. If something is completely not understandable let me know, plz.

NomanPeopled;n10831531 said:
And I said I was fine with those where where exactly? Keeping things as is and hotfixes every few days aren't the only imaginable alternatives.

Explain to the newbie why their first hard-earned card just got worse because quite possibly an entirely different deck was slightly too good. Explain to the competitive player why Thunder/Panther/Mandrake now kills their engine. Explain to the casual player why they have to re-check all their cards every Sunday.
Even ignoring all that, a week is too little time for the metagame to even settle enough to get reliable data on what to balance.

A game that has to be hotfixed every week is a failure or a goof-fest.
Lol, hotfix can change 1,2cards not all
lool, -1 to viper seems so scary?
or +1 to geralt vanilla
:wat:

T

Last edited:
I do pass Gwent. Untill the coin issue is fixed. Whenever I move first, I lose 98%. Whenever I move second, I win 98%. Silly as hell!

Last edited:
Kingoko;n10845291 said:
that's kinda fun :p

The funny thing is that I messed up that post. So I willl re-edit.

I have quitted Gwent untill the coin issue is fixed because:

Whenever I move first, I lose 98%. Whenever I move second, I win 98%

The most irrtating thing is, however, when I move first 6 times in a row.

I mostly move first in my games. Unfair game.

Last edited:
@Pruny:

My points were as follows:
1) The game needs a certain predictability in order to not alienate new payers investing time to acquire and learn the cards; and in order to maintain a credible tournament scene.
2) Given that hotfixes are by definition supposed to address specific issues, planning one for each week is nothing short of an admission of failure.
3) A week is too little time to determine what the fix should entail, if one is warranted. (It's also too little time to test it.)

Pruny;n10844891 said:
Lol, hotfix can change 1,2cards not all
lool, -1 to viper seems so scary?
or +1 to geralt vanilla
I said nothing of scary, and I have given no reason to assume that I thought your proposed hotfixes would entail a substantial number of cards, much less all.
Nor did I object to those changes, or any other. I objected to their frequency.

It does seem weird that you would suggest weekly hotfixes citing abusable mechanics, and then choose examples that would rejigger some small win percentage fractions.
If the hotfixes are to be this minimally significant, what's the rush? And if they are to be more significant, do they not warrant more rigid testing than can be done in a few days?

because i am so sick on being in same meta for six months. weekly fixes would improve game balance.
would be be happy even at 2-3 weeks, change something cdpr, gwent is boring now,
if warduncer was was fixed after a month game would been better,
why keep same meta for 6months?? when balance can be done with minimal efort.

PS.without balance gwent is dead, they said factions should have more playable decks.
make this week +1 to enforcers and +1 to imperas, would bring that deck from grave
make something, minimal efort!
but no, wait six months for another midwinter disaster!
:bored:

Last edited:
everyone bitched because they changed things in the middle of a season, so they promised to only do it between seasons... everyone celebrated... now you're saying that you want them continually changing things throught seasons... go home people, you're drunk

Many people are acting like CDPR said they are taking 6 months off to relax and rethink things... they are NOT. The thinking has already been done & this rework is going to be an immense projekt to undertake. They will be very busy. This rework is necessary if Gwent is going to be a great game.

My only concern is that CDPR makes sure that nobody loses anything during the transition. Don't loose my scraps, don't lose my meteorite powder, my cards etc. The value we put into the beta phase of the game needs to transition into the new version of Gwent seamlessly. If existing players feel they have been cheated out of value - that will be the end of many loyal fans.

Give us a great game & even the worst critics will have to eat their words. Good luck CDPR!

Last edited:
I quit Gwent when gold cards became vulnerable and came back to it just last week! And I have to say that I love Gwent once again!

Coin flip was a non issue to me. For example in chess if you start second you are at a disadvantage. It will never be 100% fair in the turn based games!

The only thing that kinda sucks now is that rows barely mean anything...

Oh and people gonna bitch regardless. Most just want op Skellige decks back. They don't care that Gwent is quite well balanced now. It's just how it is with people. So you shouldn't just listen to your "core audience" cdprojekt. Use your own brains.

I hear a lot of people worry that the game will be dead once the 6 months are over. Perhaps, but I for one have been gone for a while now and an overhaul with the singleplayer content might actually be what brings me back. And I'm sure there are more like me out there.

nage83;n10859631 said:
I quit Gwent when gold cards became vulnerable and came back to it just last week! And I have to say that I love Gwent once again!

Coin flip was a non issue to me. For example in chess if you start second you are at a disadvantage. It will never be 100% fair in the turn based games!

The only thing that kinda sucks now is that rows barely mean anything...

Oh and people gonna bitch regardless. Most just want op Skellige decks back. They don't care that Gwent is quite well balanced now. It's just how it is with people. So you shouldn't just listen to your "core audience" cdprojekt. Use your own brains.

They actually are using their brains and no, the game is not balanced at all. There are glaring imbalances and entire mechanics that need looking at, that's why it's taking 6 months and a top down redesign of the entire game.

Not to be rude but you haven't thought out your post at all.

If you alienate your "core" audience, who by the definition of being core are pretty hard to alienate, then you've just turned away the people who are going to stick with you and your game through thick and thin. If you commit too much to your core audience, new people find the game confusing or that it lacks appeal. It's a fine balancing act.

But on the whole CDPR should 100% listen to their core audience above any other demographic, because while the game should optimally be accessible and inviting for new players / casuals, it absolutely HAS to appeal to the core fans or what you have there is an entire fan-base that is transient and likely to move on the next bright, shiny thing on a whim or when the developers drop the ball.

P.S. There's nothing wrong with being a casual gamer, btw. It's a hard definition to nail down these days anyway. Most of us are casual toward some genres of games, specially if you've been gaming for a long time. I mean hell, I love to play all kinds of games, but I'm not invested in every game that I play.

CallMeHoot;n10863151 said:
They actually are using their brains and no, the game is not balanced at all. There are glaring imbalances and entire mechanics that need looking at, that's why it's taking 6 months and a top down redesign of the entire game.

Not to be rude but you haven't thought out your post at all.

If you alienate your "core" audience, who by the definition of being core are pretty hard to alienate, then you've just turned away the people who are going to stick with you and your game through thick and thin. If you commit too much to your core audience, new people find the game confusing or that it lacks appeal. It's a fine balancing act.

But on the whole CDPR should 100% listen to their core audience above any other demographic, because while the game should optimally be accessible and inviting for new players / casuals, it absolutely HAS to appeal to the core fans or what you have there is an entire fan-base that is transient and likely to move on the next bright, shiny thing on a whim or when the developers drop the ball.

P.S. There's nothing wrong with being a casual gamer, btw. It's a hard definition to nail down these days anyway. Most of us are casual toward some genres of games, specially if you've been gaming for a long time. I mean hell, I love to play all kinds of games, but I'm not invested in every game that I play.

See, this is what makes me worried. Are gamers these days that dumb that they can't learn some not-so-complex gameplay or are they just too lazy and want everything now? It's scary to think that devs/publishers (and this is not exclusive to Gwent) need to dumb games down because they think casuals can't/won't learn how to play.

I never played a card game before Gwent and had no issues getting to grips with its features and gameplay. Part of the enjoyment is learning different things. And if I can learn how to play, anyone else can. It's a shame the gaming community in general is getting overtaken by the "I want everything now" crowd and everyone has to suffer for it.

Top Bottom