Gwent in an alternative universe

+
Here’s my vision of Gwent.
I’ve never seen anyone mention anything close to this, so I may be way off base.

First some background. (You can skip this part)
I played two full play-troughs of TW3 before ever trying to play Gwent in-game. I did it only to complete all the quests, however I was hooked immediately. I then switched to the Gwent open Beta in the period a few months before Midwinter updates. Before this I’ve never played a CCG, and to be honest I likely never will play one.
Gwent was different. It was a continuation of the The Witcher characters, lore and voice lines that I fell deeply for. I enjoyed the intellectual demand needed to play at high level, and I enjoyed winning. I play to have fun, but if I’m losing a lot in ruins my mood. Until Homecoming came, I logged around 700h in the game, and was always a few wins short of reaching GM.

First presentation of Homecoming was unplayable for me (no need to go into whys), and I deleted the game without hope of returning. After yet another TW3 play-through I wanted that fix of the old Gwent. I started playing again (little bit before Novigrad expansion) and found the game greatly improved technically. It was a steep curve to learn all the new cards and mechanics, but it was fun.
It was fun until I realized that Gwent is now just a CCG. It seems like developers’ whole approach is the need to balance the cards and decks. All factions feel overwhelmingly similar. A lot of cards are basically the same. Connection to the lore and characters is as far from “home-coming” as could be.
Now I rarely play, and mainly follow the development hoping something new will draw me in.
Enough background.

The Vision.
From the start I wished Gwent was more grownup and more intellectual. I imagined the cards as representation of characters from books and games. They would be more human and more monstrous respectively. They wouldn’t be tied to typical CCG mechanics, but have more psychology and complexity to them.
If the current system is difficult to balance, then my vision would be even more. So be it.
Nilfgard wins against Northern Realms most of the time, but it should be fun and challenging to play as NR .
Geralt usually kills the Monsters, but it’s never easy for him.
Scoia'tael are complex, unscrupulous and vain. Spies actually spy and betray, then come back around.
Emphasis wouldn’t be on winning and grinding toward arbitrary levels that reset every month. It would be a human journey of struggle, ambitions and weaknesses.
Sapkowski and the CDPR did well to put all these traits and dynamics into the books and games. Imagine if you could have a collection of these characters (i.e. a deck) and guide them against foes in complicated ways. It wouldn’t be boost-this-damage-that.
Even the original TW3 Gwent is closer to this than the Homecoming edition.
I know next to nothing about how other CCGs need to operate to attract the people who want and like that format. My vision of Gwent wouldn’t be a CCG in that sense. It would be a card game for people who like The Witcher lore and those who are interested in dynamics of human interactions. With a bit of magic and monsters on top, of course.
If these ideas sound half-baked, it’s because they are. Right now, it’s just a jumble of concepts in my head that I’ve never shared or contextualized. If anyone has a anything to add or critique, I will gladly discuss it no matter how far-fetched this general idea is.

Aye, anyone having good ideas for a more intriguing weather system?

Time to finish my concept from more than three years ago.

The answer for lorefriendly, impactful but not opressive weather is quite a daring concept: Global Weather.

As the name suggests the same weather conditions hold for all rows.

Weather will be limited to the three Witcher 3 effects: Frost, Fog, Rain:
Frost: Timers are increased by one when a unit 'enters' snow
Fog: Decrease Range of all units whose range is more than one by one (requires range to be a meaningful element of the game)
Rain: Armor of units does not prevent damage

Furthermore a special UI element is added, which shows 'weather predicitions' for all turns. At random turn numbers there will be intervalls of 2-3 turns, where rain, snow or fog is present (one intervall for each condition for proper balance of weather cards). As the turn numbers are known at game start, it'd consider this good RNG because you can plan ahead and have to incorparate this knowledge into your game plan.

Weather cards can manipulate present and future weather. Immunity against special types of weather can come back and there will be units which synergize with the different weather conditons.
Examples:
Wild Hunt Hound: Overwrite the weather for the next four turns by frost
Ancient Foglet: At turn end, boost by one if fog is present. Timer 4: Decrease timer if fog is present at turn start. If it reaches zero, deal 4 damage to an enemy.

Other ongoing row effects like the beta pit trap (don't know much about HC anymore) are decoupled from weather and can still be applied.

Top Bottom