Gwent is going wrong way

+
Things that push me away from this game atm:
-Terrible meta of creating cards from thin air in the middle of gameplay and searching through the deck for some situational cards all the time, like you can't just keep it simple at this point, it is not battle of cards that you hold anymore, it is now more of an abstract theoretical match, like a chess with thousands of figures and with seeing only yours, you may think it gives the game a strategical depth, but it is the exact opposite -it makes it chaotic and unpredictable. There is even no more point of knowing what cards your adversary has, you can jest assume he can play almost everything and gghf.
-it is all way too many cards to memorize, all too different and just too weird sometimes

It all feels like playing with cheaters. Whatever card they need, they will always have it, pretty good recipe for a bad gameplay experience, adding millions of cards and skills and variables won't make a card game better, it is a downward spiral into making a game absolute G-A-R-B-A-G-E, [...].

Basically this is all the sad advantage of the real card game over the virtual one, [...].

4 words of the truth : Gwent beta was better.

Last edited by a moderator:
GWENT is now seems a game of changes being made which you think will have to be reversed in order to balance the fairness. In other thread I commented recently on how the devs nerfed the poison mechanic for Nil but how the current Syn deck is 100 times worse on the same mechanic.

With these new card drops, it just seems like they're designed to point slam opponents through buffs and there is no response to that. Basically, in order to counter these meta, you'd need a lot of cheap cards which could reset your opponent's rows. Yes, rows. Or a lot of cheap cards which can kill tall and getting taller units.

Sure, these changes will get reversed sometime. But because it's not Nil, I'm guessing there's not so much hate for them.

A balanced game would be good but too much to expect, I think.

Hoping for some kind of news next month regarding a 2023 roadmap, and addressing a lot of the issues Spyro just detailed on his YT channel

My perspective is that devs 1) are not balancing existing cards by setting power and provision cost accordingly and 2) are adding new cards which are too overpowered (Tibor Eggebracht for example)

UMA22

Forum regular
I've played about 15 games today
Around 12 of them were against NG,
8 were renfri + triss deck
The game need a patch that increase the provision cost of half of the NG cards

I've played about 15 games today
Around 12 of them were against NG,
8 were renfri + triss deck
The game need a patch that increase the provision cost of half of the NG cards
My perspective is that devs 1) are not balancing existing cards by setting power and provision cost accordingly and 2) are adding new cards which are too overpowered (Tibor Eggebracht for example)

That`s how it`s supposed to be, according to the designers - they`ve said, that they want to make seasonal "power swings", to make the game "more dynamic and interesting".
So, don`t complain about OP cards, just wait for next patch, for a bunch of even more OP cards, maybe next time the monsters or squirrels will get more love, although I doubt it, as creators have their favourite factions (like NG or SK)
I`ve got more than 3k hours in Gwent, 1/3rd in beta, and I`ve stopped playing last month. Roughly a year ago, I`ve written here, that unless something changes with their design attitude, I won`t be spending money on Gwent anymore, as it went "full Gwentstone".
I only wish I could save card graphics and animations easily, as they are very beautiful overall.
However - no game can depend on appearance only, forever.

Making the game randomly broken in every season is kinda lazy. It's also geometric growth in building a pile of balance bugs, so each season will get more weird and balance will be less clear, eventually they will lose all the players, mark my words.

Don't get me wrong, I like to play crazy modes with different random balance sometimes, but it should be optional, the core modes should be calculated to get even matches and lots of playable decks, now it's kinda opposite, every season you got one or two OP things, and after you play some games with it and against it, it gets eventually extremely boring and frustrating. I have played since early beta and did few seasons after that too, then I did a break, and now I have played a few games, and already I've had enough, every game is the same, and now it doesn't even have any strategy involved, almost every time when I lose it is against someone who is creating cards on the fly, total BS. It kinda reminds me of old MMO games which has typically started with decent balance and after time and adding new and new things constantly, it got broken, pay 2 win, and now it's all dead or almost dead.

Also, this constant balance changing is making it harder to get back for old players, I'm not interested in reading tons of changelogs and new cards like I'm a total noob again after every so called 'patch'.

Top Bottom