GWENT is now available on Steam!

+

We’re excited to announce the Steam release of GWENT: The Witcher Card Game!

Following the successful launches of GWENT on iOS and Android, release on Steam is the next step in CD PROJEKT RED’s strategy to bring the game to millions of players worldwide.

The Steam release features full cross-play and synchronization functionality with other versions of the game, meaning you can compete with players on iOS, Android, and GOG.COM, as well as carry over all items and progress between these platforms. In addition, the release also includes Steam achievements and Steam Trading Cards integration - details can be found here.

Additionally, thanks to an update to Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales on Steam, from today, you can now earn rewards to use in GWENT by making progress in the Thronebreaker campaign. These rewards include premium cards and vanity items, which will unlock automatically once requisite conditions are met. If you played The Witcher Tales earlier on Steam you can unlock the rewards retroactively only if you completed your play-through of the game in online mode (with connection to the internet).

Rewards granted upon startup include:
  • 2 player avatars
  • 2 player titles
  • 5 premium kegs
  • 20 brand new cards for Multiplayer GWENT

First Thronebreaker on the Switch, now GWENT on Steam. Surprise releases keep coming.

I personally will stick to playing via GOG to not have my playtime split between two platforms, but this will certainly be great news for some players.

That's awesome guys, congrats. Played a couple games in Steam, works just as good as in GOG.

Yeah works fine. Questions though: I also have Thronebreaker bought on GoG, so 1) does playing Thronebreaker on GoG give me progress for Gwent on steam? And 2) is there a way to get the game on steam as well via key to have them both on one platform (without buying it again)?

Yeah works fine. Questions though: I also have Thronebreaker bought on GoG, so 1) does playing Thronebreaker on GoG give me progress for Gwent on steam? And 2) is there a way to get the game on steam as well via key to have them both on one platform (without buying it again)?
Steam uses your GOG-account, so Thronebreaker works the same. I highly doubt you'll get a copy of the game for free. Makes no sense from Steam's standpoint.

Well I know this from Matrix Games/Slitherine when you buy a game there you usually get a free steam key...

That's awesome!
What about the achievements we already have though on GOG?
Will there be a way to transfer them to steam?

This is great! Thank you for this! Not that there's anything wrong with the GOG client but i always disliked having too many game launchers (Steam, Battlenet, GOG and lately Epic Games launcher for Predator: Hunting Grounds). Now at least i can take one off that list :D.

I found a small error on Steam page, The merchants of Ofir and trailer for gwent the cinematic one are in German language. Meaning on Polish store side

This is great! Thank you for this! Not that there's anything wrong with the GOG client but i always disliked having too many game launchers (Steam, Battlenet, GOG and lately Epic Games launcher for Predator: Hunting Grounds). Now at least i can take one off that list :D.

It’s ironic you say that because CDPR owns GOG. The last thing they want is for you to take any step in making it harder to buy their game’s. This move suggests Gwent is not doing well.

Personally, I am a little frustrated that their time and energy is being spent trying to expand the platform rather than fix/improve the game itself. We have no news or dates for the expansion. There are only a couple dozen new contracts since I left last April (I have been back about a month and a half.) The game is still bugged since 6.2 though it is better since 6.2.1 and 6.2.2. I get the need to grow the tent, and I get that Covid May be having some impact (though I have no specific knowledge of what type of impact,) but this move is inherently bad for CDPR and GOG. That this was the priority over the game itself sends a very bad signal about the health of Gwent.

It’s ironic you say that because CDPR owns GOG. The last thing they want is for you to take any step in making it harder to buy their game’s. This move suggests Gwent is not doing well.

Yeah that's a bunch of bs. I know they own GOG and that's why i said i have nothing against it. I meant no offense to them, that's why i mentioned it. It's a matter of personal taste and since Gwent is the only game i own from them ATM i saw no reason for another launcher.

As for the expanding part i couldn't disagree more. There might be people who saw the game on youtube or whatever and they simply gave it a search for it on steam but didn't wanna bother looking for it on other platforms. OR they might find it by accident on steam, try it, like it, BOOM a new player. Or others like me who simply don't want another launcher in their pc but unlike me they don't even bother trying it simply because it implies adding a new launcher (basically lazyness).

No matter how you look at it, it's a good thing to expand. The fact that you wanted the new expansion faster and you think this was useless doesn't change that.

DRK3

Forum veteran
This is really nice, but that does not shake off the fact - this feels like a desperate move.

CDPR or the Gwent dev team have insisted on staying away from Steam for years, understandably, because they want to promote their own platform, GOG... Doing this now, maybe its a sign that the mobile platforms launch wasnt successful, or more likely, they were a success at launch, but most of those new players already left.

Releasing it on Steam wont help on the long run if the game doesnt improve and get new content regularly, to be able to retain players.

Now, time to go get some Gwent Steam cards :cool:
Post automatically merged:

How do you sync GOG and Steam?

And do you need to install the game again on Steam if you already have it installed under GOG?

(EDIT) Did a bit of research and got my answers, ill share them here because it might help others:

You need to install game again. On launch, it will ask to log-in with your GOG acount, that simple.

Last edited:
CDPR or the Gwent dev team have insisted on staying away from Steam for years, understandably, because they want to promote their own platform, GOG... Doing this now, maybe its a sign that the mobile platforms launch wasnt successful, or more likely, they were a success at launch, but most of those new players already left.
I saw a RED post on Reddit saying that Steam release had been in the plans for a long time, and that GOG is doing pretty amazing.

This is really nice, but that does not shake off the fact - this feels like a desperate move.

Releasing it on Steam wont help on the long run if the game doesnt improve and get new content regularly, to be able to retain players.

Now, time to go get some Gwent Steam cards :cool:
Post automatically merged:

How do you sync GOG and Steam?

And do you need to install the game again on Steam if you already have it installed under GOG?

(EDIT) Did a bit of research and got my answers, ill share them here because it might help others:

You need to install game again. On launch, it will ask to log-in with your GOG acount, that simple.

Dont think it feels like a desperate move. They are trying to expand (ios, android, china) and steam is the biggest platform. What I think they should do is put more effort in marketing.

DRK3

Forum veteran
Dont think it feels like a desperate move. They are trying to expand (ios, android, china) and steam is the biggest platform. What I think they should do is put more effort in marketing.

OK, so why not release it on Steam earlier? Like, much MUCH earlier. Gwent was released on closed beta at the end of 2016, it has been released on consoles, which have a much stricter code and regulations to have content approved for release, it has been released on mobile, which required tremendous effort and changes to the game to accomodate the limited hardware of those platforms...

And only now on Steam, which requires pratically no changes, same as PC version on GOG and has the largest PC playerbase of all. Why only now then?

Top Bottom