Gwent metamorphosis

+
I never played a game that has gone through such a dramatic sequence of changes as Gwent. Butterflies have "complete metamorphosis", I genuinely didn't know that the same applies to videogames. From faction abilities, to abilities tied to Leaders, to just abilities. From 3 locked rows, to 2 rows. From 2D art to 3D models.

This is not a game, this a mutant... which might be fitting considering the Witcher Universe!

Today I logged in after a long break and found that they introduced "incremental daily login rewards". Whoa! I don't like it. You might say: "it's just free stuff, on top of all the free stuff that they give to players". I still don't like it. There is something wrong about the philosophy of such rewards, which make feel playing games more like an addiction than a hobby. It's a cheap trick that Facebook games need to encourage players to stick to the game. You don't need that.

So Gwent has changed, like all things in life, I guess. It would be interesting to have a comprehensive changelog, after so much scrapping and rephrasing. Do you remember when we had the infamous Promote mechanic, when you had three copies of each bronzes and Weather was a thing? Handbuff, Reveal, Reach...

Like a scientist I would like to keep track of the different stages of this metamorphosis.
And I'd like you to explain me: how Gwent magnificent butterfly has turned into this caterpillar, stubby and with no wings at all.

DRK3

Forum veteran
i wish i was on your position, but im too bothered by the big gameplay changes and problems to be able to be bothered by small things like log-in rewards.

And Gwent really did go through so many changes, more than any game i know. The way i found to keep track of those stages is just take tons of screenshots, have several folders, now probably with thousands of screenies of these 3 years, that let me "go back" if im hit with the nostalgia bug...

I never played a game that has gone through such a dramatic sequence of changes as Gwent. Butterflies have "complete metamorphosis", I genuinely didn't know that the same applies to videogames. From faction abilities, to abilities tied to Leaders, to just abilities. From 3 locked rows, to 2 rows. From 2D art to 3D models.

This is not a game, this a mutant... which might be fitting considering the Witcher Universe!

Today I logged in after a long break and found that they introduced "incremental daily login rewards". Whoa! I don't like it. You might say: "it's just free stuff, on top of all the free stuff that they give to players". I still don't like it. There is something wrong about the philosophy of such rewards, which make feel playing games more like an addiction than a hobby. It's a cheap trick that Facebook games need to encourage players to stick to the game. You don't need that.

So Gwent has changed, like all things in life, I guess. It would be interesting to have a comprehensive changelog, after so much scrapping and rephrasing. Do you remember when we had the infamous Promote mechanic, when you had three copies of each bronzes and Weather was a thing? Handbuff, Reveal, Reach...

Like a scientist I would like to keep track of the different stages of this metamorphosis.
And I'd like you to explain me: how Gwent magnificent butterfly has turned into this caterpillar, stubby and with no wings at all.
Everything we have been through over the years comes down to this. We all knew a mobile release was coming. Removal of row, shortened casual card names, decoupled leaders, samey abilities. It all comes down to this. I hope player counts go up and then the game can get properly balanced. Back in beta days I could be ranked in top 25 thousand playing to level 2,last month i was top 300 at level 8.

i wish i was on your position, but im too bothered by the big gameplay changes and problems to be able to be bothered by small things like log-in rewards.

Abilities decoupled from leaders is another thing that I have a hard time accepting. It breaks my immersion: like playing Zerg with a Protoss skin, or having a medic skin, but playing as a sniper...
For me it's a deal breaker, even if it has nothing to do with gameplay. Playing against Brouver Hoog-Francesca or Emyhr with Ardhal abilities feels "wrong".

The way i found to keep track of those stages is just take tons of screenshots, have several folders, now probably with thousands of screenies of these 3 years, that let me "go back" if im hit with the nostalgia bug...

Nice! I have to search the Internet to find old beta Gwent screenshots and I have trouble remembering the chronology of changes.

Back in beta days I could be ranked in top 25 thousand playing to level 2,last month i was top 300 at level 8.

This numbers include mobile players? Or do they have a separate ladder?

Top Bottom