GWENT Open #2 has a winner!

+
GWENT Open #2 has a winner!

Congratulations to Frederick "Freddybabes" Bird, winner of the November 2017 GWENT Open tournament!

This weekend, top 8 players of GWENT’s first Pro Ladder season competed for Crown Points, share of a $25,000 prize pool, and two tickets for the upcoming GWENT Challenger. Freddybabes advanced to the final after performing an amazing reverse sweep in his quarterfinal match against Pro Ladder’s highest ranked player, Andrzej “Adzikov” Bal, and later defeating fan favorite Jan “Superjj102” Janssen.

His opponent in the final was Damian "TailBot" Kaźmierczak, whose path to the finals involved an impressive 3:0 quarterfinals win against Qianfan "irohabit" Ma, and defeating Zehua "OMhanachann" Zhao in the semifinals. Despite TailBot’s efforts, it was Freddybabes who came out victorious as GWENT Open #2 winner.

Here are the tournament’s final standings:

FINALISTS
Frederick "Freddybabes" Bird (Great Britain) — $10,850 & 20 CP
Damian "TailBot" Kaźmierczak (Poland) — $3,800 & 15 CP

SEMIFINALISTS
Zehua "OMhanachann" Zhao (China) — $2,800 & 10 CP
Jan “Superjj102” Janssen (Germany) — $2,350 & 10 CP

QUARTERFINALISTS
Jan "Metranos" Eickholt (Germany) — $1,400 & 5 CP
Raffael "GameKingAT" Iciren (Austria) — $1,400 & 5 CP
Andrzej "Adzikov" Bal (Poland) — $1,400 & 5 CP
Qianfan "irohabit" Ma (China) — $1,000 & 5 CP

Last edited:
Didn't watch nearly all of the tournament matches, but based on what I did see this was a well-deserved victory.

Especially since Freddy was using Lambert.

:cheers:

I was thrilled to see Freddybabes run neutrals like Cleaver, G Igni and Lambert. His play style is a great combo of creative and strong. The tournament was interesting to watch and it was fun to see him win.

So if you see this, FB, congratulations! Great job.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the winner, really great matches! I think he's a great player, but he really won it on strategic level, by cleverly using the ban feature and his superb deckbuilding skills. Hats off!

There is just one question reminding in my mind right now. The rewards listed above add up to $25000, the prize pool was $100000. How was the remaining $75000 distributed? Did I miss something? Did Freddy got it all?

Also, a note to the Reds: you should really work on the publicity aspect of it all. Look at any other sport. I think there should be tons of articles about the championship on your official website, GwentDB, Gwentlemen, Youtube and so on. There should be a brief summary available for people who weren't able to watch immediately after the results are known. There should be some in-depth articles detailing the matches, interviews with participants and so on. Something other than the stream. I for example follow F1 almost religiously since 1994. When I go online, even if I miss a session I know everything right away, I can check the results immediately, I can read the interviews, look at the lap charts, read about the pivotal moments during the race, timings, strategies employed by the teams, and more. Be it a practice session, qualifying or the actual race. It's the same with any other major sport and we should have this information at our fingertips right after the tournament. In football, right after the game, especially an important one, there is an explosion of information. I don't see it with Gwent.

MaroonJack;n10020571 said:
Congratulations to the winner, really great matches! I think he's a great player, but he really won it on strategic level, by cleverly using the ban feature and his superb deckbuilding skills. Hats off!

There is just one question reminding in my mind right now. The rewards listed above add up to $25000, the prize pool was $100000. How was the remaining $75000 distributed? Did I miss something?

This is the old thread for the Gwent open, which is not the same as the Gwent Challenger. That's why the last posts are from last month.

But yes, Freedy took a huge slice of the money :)

Congrats to freddy. I see now why i've been struggling to win games in ranked play this season. I've not been playing decks consistent with that rank matchmaking. I've been playing against pro decks at rank 12 and below which are also seeing play in rank 20...How is this even a good thing? It's like Man United playing 4th division teams every Saturday.

I really hope there will be some way of denying lower players access to pro decks in the future.

Top Bottom