GWENT: Price of Power | EP2: Thanedd Coup | Teaser Trailer

+
Some people thought the first part of the Price of Power expansion was over the top. The only thing normal about what was revealed is the Aretuza Student. Tissaia at first glance seemed bonkers, but after carefully reading her deploy, it only applies if the order abilities of other mages are used on the same turn you play her. This makes her reasonable as she requires some conditions to be met. Still, the amount of points she could provide with Gerhart is mindboggling. Gerhart - Tissaia - Viraxas. Now this is an insane combo.

The neutral card is another over the top card, in line with Megascope. Unlike Megascope though, which works best with GS, this one works with most, if not all factions. Resetting the Location order and procing the 2nd Scenario chapter is broken stuff. Unless this expansion offers more artifact removal options, then I can already hear the complaints about it.

On another note, I ain't the type to complain about art as I suck at it and I generally appreciate it (unless it is post-modernist lazy shite), but the art for Aretuza Student and the neutral is a bit... low quality? I am hoping that the premium versions look better.

The neutral card is another over the top card, in line with Megascope. Unlike Megascope though, which works best with GS, this one works with most, if not all factions. Resetting the Location order and procing the 2nd Scenario chapter is broken stuff. Unless this expansion offers more artifact removal options, then I can already hear the complaints about it.
I doubt that this Card will see much play, since it only makes sense to be played after you already fulfilled the scenario to unlock only the final Chapter again, it's probably easier and cheaper to play the final Scenario Chapter Card from Hand/Deck without having a potential brick (if Scenario gets Heatwaved) in hand or am I missing something.

As for the location part I guess it depends what kind of Location Orders we get in the future because right now it looks only slightly useful for the NG and SY location.

IMG_20210719_125952.jpg
IMG_20210719_125931.jpg
IMG_20210719_125916.jpg

My comments:

NR:

The header promises some mage / patience support.

Aretuza Student: She fits perfectly into the whole archetype being a good target for Tissaia and Aretusa Adepts.

Tissaia de Vries: I would call her the Eldain of NR. She can be very powerful if she has many valuable targets and very bad if you face a short round or a removal focused opponent.
Her main targets are:
Gerhart of Aelle, Aretuza Student, Ban Ard student.
Cards which might be a consideration to include:
Yennefer: Conjurer (Synergizing nicely with those Cintrian Spellweavers and one additional many damage might be a consideration)
Istredd: If you go for a Snowdrop / Pincer Maneuver strategy
Margarita Laux-Antille: One additional lock is also valuable
Síle de Tansarville: 2 dmg
Cintrian Spellweaver: They are to my mind also core in mage decks as they benefit from both spells and mage units. (1 dmg)
Ildiko: Can be a consideration (+5 boost) and zeal for the Spellweavers)

NG:
"Infiltrate your enemies’ ranks with double agents and strike from the shadows."
=> Honestly I expect either some spy support or a complete new archetype with double agents. Strike from the shadows indicates card which are connected to some surprise. Maybe cards appearing from the deck.

SC
"Show those arrogant dh’oine why they are no match for Elven mages!"
Few to find out from these words. Probably some more special cards and elven mages interacting with those

SK
"Answer the call of the Sea and deliver the offering it demands."
Probably some self wound support. E.g. cards which benefit if other cards get damaged or maybe even killed. Also expect more rain synergies

MO
"The Sabbath is in the full swing! Behold a very special guest joining the fun. And she brings presents too!"
More Sabbath support. Would expect a summoner if Sabbath is met

SY
"Rules of the trade are simple: Pay your tributes, extract confessions, collect bounties."
Some tribute and bounty support. Expect confession to be a new keyword.

Neutral
Dwimveandra
Currentlym I am not at all convinced by this card.
Her Melee is very slow tempo and conditional. You need her, the scenario and 3 scenario enabler. Maybe she has some use cases in Masquerade ball and Siege but I do not expect her to be seen her in competitive play as you need to be lucky to have drawn the cards you need.
Her Ranged is easier to use. Espcially with Salamandra Hideout and Stygga Castle I see strong value.
If you go for this card you most likely have at least 1 scenario and 1 location + tutors in your deck. Probably we get more location (with maybe stronger order) which might be supporting her.

Last edited:
I doubt that this Card will see much play, since it only makes sense to be played after you already fulfilled the scenario to unlock only the final Chapter again, it's probably easier and cheaper to play the final Scenario Chapter Card from Hand/Deck without having a potential brick (if Scenario gets Heatwaved) in hand or am I missing something.

As for the location part I guess it depends what kind of Location Orders we get in the future because right now it looks only slightly useful for the NG and SY location.
Guess we'll have to see. But in theory it is broken. It can proc a second bombardment from Siege. It can proc a third poison from Ball. It can proc a second Mardroeme, a second Seductress, a second Nightwraith, a second Waylay.

Sure, not all of the 2nd scenario chapters are great. But in the current meta Bombardment provides a lot of points because siege engines got some love. Poison is always good removal. The others are not that great since their scenarios are not really meta-worthy, but have the potential of being really oppressive in future metas.

It also has some uses with Locations. You can move an extra card from your opponent's graveyard to their top deck with Gorthur Gvaed. You can do double poison with Salamandra Hideout (on top of it already having 4 more poisons 4p poisons). Haern Caduch can heal adjacent units 1 more time. Stygga Castle can move 3 units twice. Kaer Seren can buff by 3 twice and Dol Dhu Lokke spawns 2 drones once more.

Again, not all of these orders are great as we speak. But they can become in the future.

My guess for the NR Rare is Ban Ard Adept, because Aretuza Adept already exists and is a Rare. :coolstory:

Ban Ard Tutor also exists and Aretuza Tutor does not, but BAT is Common.

On another note, I ain't the type to complain about art as I suck at it and I generally appreciate it (unless it is post-modernist lazy shite), but the art for Aretuza Student and the neutral is a bit... low quality?
I wouldn't say they're low quality, although I agree that the scenes depicted aren't especially captivating (I'm uncertain how engaging the premiums may be, either), and the art style is indeed a bit different from other cards we've seen.

Guess we'll have to see. But in theory it is broken. It can proc a second bombardment from Siege. It can proc a third poison from Ball. It can proc a second Mardroeme, a second Seductress, a second Nightwraith, a second Waylay.

Sure, not all of the 2nd scenario chapters are great. But in the current meta Bombardment provides a lot of points because siege engines got some love. Poison is always good removal. The others are not that great since their scenarios are not really meta-worthy, but have the potential of being really oppressive in future metas.

It also has some uses with Locations. You can move an extra card from your opponent's graveyard to their top deck with Gorthur Gvaed. You can do double poison with Salamandra Hideout (on top of it already having 4 more poisons 4p poisons). Haern Caduch can heal adjacent units 1 more time. Stygga Castle can move 3 units twice. Kaer Seren can buff by 3 twice and Dol Dhu Lokke spawns 2 drones once more.

Again, not all of these orders are great as we speak. But they can become in the future.

Well, no doubt it can be a powerful bronze if things go nice. But you need 3 scenario enabler and Dwimveandra and the scenario in hand. So 5 cards. Furthermore a pass of your opponent can also collapse your strategy.
Compared to Sorceress of Dol Blathanna you get a free created special if she survives undamaged

What rewards do you get?
NG: An additional poison including Thirsty Dame boosts (but you need another poisoner to get most out of the poison. So we already talk about six cards)
Feign Death: An additional waylay which questionable value without targets and Vanadain/Vernossiel synergy
Haunt: Nightwraith can be a +7 but also high risk of overflooding your board and consumer needed
Passiflora: A Sly Seductress after 5 cards being played has very limited value
Siege: Probably the most interesting target as bombardement can be very powerful in siege heavy deck
Gedyneith: One additional Madroeme which can synergize nicely with Crow Clan Preacher. But why not just play an alchemy from your hand.

Due to the restriction mentioned above I consider locations to be the main target of her. The most interesting might be Salamandra Hideout as an additional poisoner and Stygga Castle in move decks (Nevertheless, it will be only really valuable if you play against other poisoners. Otherwise cards like Mutated Hounds, Fisstech and Fisstech Trafficker are more flexible) . Gorthur Gvaed might also be an option for Cloggers. Other locations do only have limited value currently. So I am looking forward to seeing new location cards.

Last edited:
Aretuza Student looks really bad. This art is nowhere near the standard they set with previous expansions.
Her appearance is a bit on the plain side, I suppose. She must have dedicated her attention to her spells, rather than her looks.

DRK3

Forum veteran
If the expansion is around mages and Thanedd, i will get my hopes up they finally add a card for Tissaia, im pretty sure she's the most important mage of the books that still doesnt have a card, that is criminal at this point.
This is a comment i posted on October 25th 2020 (at that time i didnt know the next expansion would be WotW).
And i've been begging for Tissaia to be added in Gwent for YEARS!

Finally i got my wish realized... but im afraid i dont like the card very much gameplay wise, its one of those cards that will be huge value if going against a deck with no control (which is almost never), or be a 6pts for 12pr when going against hypercontrol, since you need to float the orders of the other mages until Tissaia is played, giving your opponent a chance to conter em.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall that only full-fledged sorceresses got the magical beauty treatment.
I can't lay my hand on the exact spot where it's mentioned in the books, but I think that is one of the first transformations they undergo. I could be mistaken, though.

What I expect for NR:
-> One location called Aretuza spawning Aretuza students and adepts.
With the order to increase the patience of all allied unit by 1
-> Ban Ard Adept: Whenever you use the order of a patience unit deal 2 random damage.

I'm just happy there isn't anything blatantly broken yet lol, but we are still very early on so... Hope it stays this way.
The neutral is okay, nothing too special but the only thing I would say is that her ranged ability has only one actual target that being NG location since it's order ability is by far the strongest out of all factional locations, I hope they nerf NG location order so it can only target 8 or less provisions cards!

And what I am most excited for are SK and MO cards! :D
For MO I expect Gernichora as a legendary, and for SK I don't know what to expect but I hope it's something cool, certainly looks cool by the text. :D As long as it supports druids/cultists/beast/alchemy archetype (even weather! Not much of a fan of weather but I don't mind it, as long as it's not brainless removal and pointslam like warriors and witchers lol), I really like the spiritual and occult side of Skellige.

Last edited:
Top Bottom