GWENT Roadmap overview

+
For those of you who could not join in for today's stream – don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here is the full recording of the stream:

And here is a short overview of our plans for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game:

• First of all, we’re planning on introducing iterative changes to the game more frequently:
    • hotfixes – whenever needed
    • patches – every month
    • expansions – every few months

• We won’t be "reinventing the wheel", but instead we’ll focus on the feel and balance of the game. Some examples of the things we’re looking into right now:
    • reverting to the old system of mulligans per round
    • balancing leaders with provision cost instead of number of mulligans
    • changing how the hand limit works

• As for the regular releases of new content, at the moment we’re preparing for the release of a December hotfix, addressing several bug fixes and performance issues on consoles. In January, we’ll add 5 new leaders to the game – leaders that you might already know from Thronebreaker. Next big expansion is scheduled for the end of March and it will include over 100 new cards. It will also add new mechanics to the game, but its main focus is to flesh out the existing archetypes.

• Moving forward we’ll be focusing on improving the gameplay – to make it faster, smoother and well-balanced, introducing some “quality of life” updates such as the recent deck overview feature, and polishing the aesthetics (including adding more diverse themes that would still fit the world of the Witcher).

What's next? Expect new updates in early 2019!

Last edited:
NOTE: Merged my thread with the official RED thread that has appeared after my initial post.

With Homecoming, too many things were changed at the same time. Now, we want to change the game bit by bit. We know it's not perfect yet.

Dev reveals:
- Balancing the leaders not by mulligans but by provision costs. Old mulligan system returns (but no blacklisting yet).

- Cards overdrawn are turned into mulligans. Card draws will be decreased to something like 3-2-1. (The current fix was too aggressive)
- Console performance will be improved!
- Faction challenge will be turned into a series of quests. The first faction challenge will include all 5 factions.
- New seasonal challenges; each month will have new challenges.
- Each season will have a custom cardback as reward.
- QoL improvements and faster animations are coming.
- (Hot) fixes each month.
- More communication and insight into design decisions and ideas.

Release schedule:
- January: 5 new leaders, including Meve.
- March: new expansion with +100 cards; expand existing archetypes.

Q & A:
- A new faction is coming next year, but no details are known yet.
- Spectator mode is coming, at some point.
- Sihil is probably going to be changed.
- Open PTR is probably not coming.
- Arena remains unchanged for now. However, two new events are coming: an 11+ provision costs and a 4 provision costs arena. Also, deck swap will return.
- Devs are not happy with Viper Witchers; the game doesn't always have the best RNG and needs some change. It has to be "smart" RNG.
- The Reveal archetype and Nilfgaard in general will be "made great again".
- Game boards might change in the future.

Gwent is not dead!

Last edited:
I really liked the announced changes and the philosophy Jason has on moving the game forward and also fixing the mechanics.

I feel there's yet hope!

I really like Jason! He's very passionate, and that's a great thing to see. I love pretty much all the changes they discussed and the announcements they made.

That said, I feel like reducing the number of card draws is the wrong thing to do. It will make tempo plays stronger because you have less time to catch up, and it will make decks less consistent because you essentially don't see as many of your cards.

I think the way Homecoming works, you need the three card draws in between rounds.

Thats a big mistake. Although, since they don't listen to PTR feedback, it probably doesn't matter.

So, see you all back in game in March it is I guess^^

Their reasoning behind it made sense though. They will do closed PTR with selected players to get their valuable input and extensively test new cards. But they feel like doing an open PTR kills any hype for the new expansion.

Also, their new philosophy moving forward will be monthly updates, so I think it'll be fine.

That said, I feel like reducing the number of card draws is the wrong thing to do. It will make tempo plays stronger because you have less time to catch up, and it will make decks less consistent because you essentially don't see as many of your cards.

I think the way Homecoming works, you need the three card draws in between rounds.

This the only same thing I'm a bit worried, that tempo plays become too prevelant, as they already seem to be pretty dominant. If they are going to reduce draws I'd maybe go first from 3&3 to 2&2 at the most, to not - again - making too drastic changes.

This the only same thing I'm a bit worried, that tempo plays become too prevelant, as they already seem to be pretty dominant. If they are going to reduce draws I'd maybe go first from 3&3 to 2&2 at the most not, again, making too drastic changes.

Let's hope they don't drastically reduce them. I think 2&3 draws or 2&2 would be fine. 1 and 2 would mean that tempo plays will force people out of rounds early and you will be back to a lot of dry passing rounds.

I really really hope they will make slight changes only. Halving the number of additional draws is such a big change - all the engines will need to be rebalanced.

Did he really say that Usurper should cost less provisions? Usurper is horrible for the game and if anything should cost more provisions than the other leaders.

i think you have 150 provision base now and leaders adds provision, so for example usurper will give you like +5 provision, foltest +20, so weaker leaders will have stronger cards in deck
with out viewing the stream, this sounds even worse than the mulliansystem...

I already heard promises like these 1 year ago. And we all know what happened next :D Let's see what will happen this time.
By the way, it is noticeable that many good devs like Luigi have gone to very important Cyberpunk game. Gwent remains a minor project for CDPR.

DRK3

Forum veteran
I agreed with pretty much Jason said and proposed.

PTR is a nice method of including the playerbase into the decision process. However, it can be discarded IF they really are going to be providing constant updates on what's coming, frequent hotfixes and balance patches, and weekly (or so) roadmap videos, like they said they would from now on.

Also, Sihil is my most hated card too, good to know the game's director agrees with us, and hopefully we get the artefact revision on the January update.

Top Bottom