Gwent through the years

+

DRK3

Forum veteran
Hello everyone.
Just wanted to make a (quick) summary of the journey this card game has gone since the beginning.
This information is meant to give perspective to the newer player that dont know the history of Gwent, but also to the veterans, that even though they have sticked with the game all this time, they might not remember how much time has passed, for those the aim is more to provide that nostalgia factor.

Note: i will not include major updates and expansions, or it would become too extensive and steal focus from the main turning points in its career.

0. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is released (MAY 2015)
And in this amazing RPG, also came a bonus card minigame called 'Gwent'...

1. Gwent: the Witcher card game - Closed Beta starts (OCTOBER 2016)
This is when the successful card minigame was transformed into a standalone, online card game.
It had 4 factions at that time: Northern Realms, Monsters, Scoiatael and Skellige.

1.1 Nilfgaard is added as a faction (FEBRUARY 2017)

2. Gwent - Open Beta starts (MAY 2017)
A lot of changes were implemented in this transition, and now all players can join and play this game.
It was also released on the consoles, PS4 and X One, joining the PC as platforms for Gwent.

2.1 Midwinter Update, that lead to many balance issues and the Homecoming announcement, where Gwent would be totally changed (DECEMBER 2017)

3. Gwent: Homecoming/ final release (OCTOBER 2018)
The Gwent as we know it today. No more silver cards, only 2 rows and 2 copies of a bronze, among many other major changes.

(Year of the Wild Boar)

3.1 EXPANSION 1 - CRIMSON CURSE is released (MARCH 2019)

3.2 EXPANSION 2 - NOVIGRAD is released. Syndicate is added as the 6th faction (JUNE 2019)

3.3 EXPANSION 3 - IRON JUDGMENT is released (OCTOBER 2019)

3.3.1 Gwent finally goes mobile, with iOS release (OCTOBER 2019)

3.4 EXPANSION 4 - MERCHANTS OF OFIR is released (DECEMBER 2019)

3.4.1 Gwent abandons console support - PS4 and X One (DECEMBER 2019)

(Year of the Wererat)

3.4.2 Gwent is released on Android platforms (MARCH 2020)

3.5 EXPANSION 5 - MASTER MIRROR is released (JUNE 2020)

- Gwent Masters Season 2 takes place. Winner: Pajabol (DECEMBER 2020)

3.6 EXPANSION 6 - WAY OF THE WITCHER is released (DECEMBER 2020)

(Year of the Great Oak)

3.7 EXPANSION 7 - PRICE OF POWER is released, the first to be divided in 3 sets

- Gwent Masters Season 1 (finally!) takes place. Winner: Kolemoen (JUNE 2021)

3.7.1 ONCE UPON A PYRE (PoP Part 1) is released (JUNE 2021)

3.7.2 THANEDD COUP (PoP Part 2) is released (AUGUST 2021)

3.7.3 HARVEST OF SORROW (PoP Part 3) is released (OCTOBER 2021)

- Gwent Masters Season 3 takes place. Winner: Cyberz (DECEMBER 2021)

(Year of the Cursed Toad)

X.1 MINI EXPANSION 1 - FORGOTTEN TREASURES is released (APRIL 2022)

3.8 EXPANSION 8 - BLACK SUN is released (JULY 2022)

X.2 MINI EXPANSION 2 - CHRONICLES is released (OCTOBER 2022)

X.3 MINI EXPANSION 3 - SACRED AND PROFANE is released (DECEMBER 2022)

- Gwent Masters Season 4 takes place. Winner: SpellingBee (DECEMBER 2022)

(Year of the Uroboros)

Y.1 MINI EXPANSION 1 - CLAW AND DAGGER is released (APRIL 2023)

Y.2 MINI EXPANSION 2 - THE TIDE RISES is released (JULY 2023)

Y.3 MINI EXPANSION 3 - HERITAGE (including Gwent's last cards to be added) is released (SEPTEMBER 2023)

-Gwent Masters Season 5 (Last) will take place (DECEMBER 2023)

-After 2023: PROJECT GWENTFINITY starts - development support will cease, monthly game changes will be left for players through a voting system, allowing minor point or provision adjustments to existing cards.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And now, some important stats - the length of each stage of Gwent's life:
Closed Beta - 7 months
Open Beta - 17 months (1 year 5 months)
Gwent HC - 17 months (1 year 5 months)

That's right - as of now, March 2020, Gwent HC ("current Gwent") from now on is officially longer than it's open beta run!

Congratulations, thanks to the dev team, and lets keep improving this game and expanding its playerbase in the future.
With a new platform in a few days, new leader abilities coming in 2 weeks, and 2 expansions scheduled for the rest of the year, plus a busy tournament plan, i think a bright future is possible for Gwent. :ohstopit:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(20-07-21 update)

- Several milestones of Gwent added

-Gwent HC is now 33 months old. (We're 3 months away from its 3rd birthday.
That bday might be celebrated with the final part of PoP expansion, EX7.3!

(28-10-22 update)

- Gwent card drops of the past year and a half added

(20-09-23 update)

-Milestones added and completed for 2022 and 2023

-Added the in-game names of each year

Last edited:
A very good informative post. I feel like this deserves to get pinned somewhere for future referrence.

DRK3

Forum veteran
CDPR may have forgotten to remind you, but i am here to rectify that:

This week marks the 6th birthday of GWENT: THE WITCHER CARD GAME, since it started out its closed beta on October 25th 2016.
Or if you prefer, its 4th birthday, since the game's full release (Homecoming), which occurred October 23rd 2018 (alongside the release of Thronebreaker).

Happy birthday Gwent. :beer:
I've updated the original post with all milestones up until now. :howdy:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Hey everyone, updated this thread for the final time.
As the last update hit Gwent, i thought it was appropriate to reminisce on its history.

Next month will be Gwent's 7th birthday (starting the count on closed beta). Or 5th birthday (if counting from final release).

Assuming Gwentfinity starts right off the bat in 2024, that will be approximately 7 years and 3 months of development support.
Personally, i got discontent with the state and direction of the game on the majority of Gwent's last years and was not surprised by this outcome, and only sad because i never saw the tremendous potential this game had realized.
But i know Gwent has a small but loyal fanbase that does not share these feelings, and it wont let it die completely for a long time.

Top Bottom